PDA

View Full Version : Search the drive? Weird...

Vyk
04-28-2005, 07:16 PM
Okay, I'm sure there's an easy fix for this that I"m missing. But since I don't know how it started in the first place, I can't think of any way to fix it off hand. But here's the problem: When I go into My Computer (Window XP by the way) If I double click on a drive, it automatically starts a search...instead of opening to view the files? When I right click a drive open is the second option. Search is at the top, and IT'S the one in bold. How the heck did they get reversed? I want open to be the one at top and bold. I abuse my double click, I have the wheel set so when I push it, it does a double-click. I'm lazy, but I don't want to have to start right-clicking everything. Well... not everything. It only does this on drives. The folders open like normal. Please help? ^_^'

Edit: Okay... even weirder. My back-up drive, which is just really a seperate partition or whatever, it's set to Auto-Play. Search is the second option on right-click, and Open is the third one... T_T;

Samuraid
04-28-2005, 08:59 PM
You can fix this in the windows registry: (<a href="http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321186">reference link</a>)

1. Open the registry editor (run "regedit")
2. Browse to the key: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/Drive/shell
3. Change the value to "none" (it should say "none" when you have cleared it)

Check the attached screenshot to see what it should look like:

Vyk
04-28-2005, 10:05 PM
Wow, thank you so much ^_^ There wasn't any value to set or edit. It was blank so I just typed in "none" and restarted. Fixed all the "Search" problems. Though my back-up drive still wants to auto-play, but I never go in there anyway. Thanks again (: