PDA

View Full Version : The source of monsters?

Nova Briar
04-29-2005, 01:43 PM
My friend and I were discussing this game the other day and came across an interesting concept. We were recalling how, after Jenova infected the Cetra, they all became monsters. Do you think it's possible that at least some of the monsters you encounter in the game are descendants of the mutated Cetra?

benmajor
04-29-2005, 01:46 PM
Its a good question i guess they could be but not those annoying tonberry idiots i don't think the cetras could be that annoying

theundeadhero
04-29-2005, 02:04 PM
Interesting thought. While most could just be animals some cuold very well be such as the Midgar Zolem.

Squall of SeeD
04-29-2005, 04:07 PM
I would say that some of those in the Northern Crater may well be. Many creatures in the world at large, though, don't appear as though they would serve any obvious benefit to their ecosystems. That may be an indication that they're not natural, or it just might be reading too much into it.

In any event, I'd say that some of the regular creatures encountered in the game may well be a result of JENOVA's mutation of the Cetra.

Captain Maxx Power
04-30-2005, 12:26 AM
Wasn't there mention of the Mako reactors creating monsters as well?

sayen
04-30-2005, 12:33 AM
Wasn't there mention of the Mako reactors creating monsters as well?

sort of hojo was putting SOLDEIR members into the mako containers and they truned into monsters

Seraf
04-30-2005, 12:45 AM
From what I remember, monsters were created by huge amounts of condensed Mako energy, or inside Mako reactors. This explains why Shinra was behind that one episode where the monster bursts out of that container when Cloud and Sephiroth are inside of it.

Mercen-X
04-30-2005, 01:20 AM
Do you think it's possible that at least some of the monsters you encounter in the game are descendants of the mutated Cetra?
As I am told quite often, "There is nothing in the game's story to suggest that."
Sephiroth seems convinced that humans are the direct descendants of Cetra who no longer wished to migrate.

"The Cetra were an itinerant race. They would migrate in, settle the planet, and move on... and at the end of their harsh, hard journey, they would find the Promised Land and supreme happiness... but those that disliked journey appeared. Those who stopped their migrations, built shelters, and elected to live an easier life. They took that which the Cetra and the planet had made without giving back one whit in return! [points at Cloud] Those are your ancestors."

But in a matter of opinion, a lot of the monsters are ugly enough to be related to Jenova.

Masamune·1600
04-30-2005, 01:23 AM
The monster outbreak near Nibelheim detailed in the Kalm flashback led Sephiroth and "Cloud" to investigate the reactor at Mt. Nibel. It does turn out, according to Sephiroth, that Hojo had been creating monsters by exposing people to extreme amounts of Mako.

Cloud: Wh... what is this!?

Sephiroth: Normal members of SOLDIER are humans that have been showered with
Mako. You're different from the others, but still human. But, what are they?
They've been exposed to a high degree of Mako, far more than you.

Cloud: ...is this some kind of monster?

Sephiroth: Exactly. And it's Hojo of Shinra that produced these monsters.
Mutated living organisms produced by Mako energy. That's what these monster's
really are.

Cloud: Normal members of SOLDIER? You mean you're different? H... hey,
Sephiroth!

Sephiroth: N...no...... ...Was I?

It is interesting to note that the mutated being seen in the FMV sequence during this part of the flashback closely resembles the monster Magnade, which appears only in the North (at Great Glacier).

However, it is important to distinguish between monsters creating through extreme Mako exposure, and infection by Jenova. It is obvious that monster preceded Hojo's experimentation, and even the discovery of Mako technology. We know, via the Icicle Inn tapes, that Jenova infected Cetra at other locations, after she had finished with the Cetra at Knowlespole. Given that those events occurred 2000 years prior to the actual game, it's not impossible that most or (depending how you look at it) all monsters are derivative from Jenova's virus (excluding, obviously, WEAPON). However, the Weapons remind us that the planet itself could, if necessary, create monsters. As Squall of SeeD has pointed out, however, many of these monsters would seem to contribute little to any extant ecosystems. Hence, it is at least possible that most monsters are in fact descended from the Cetra.