PDA

View Full Version : people cant breath under water

sayen
04-29-2005, 03:12 PM
if there is a thread on this sorry but ingorence is bliss

the people on ffx cant breath underwater in fact one of the besaid aurochs when you first meet em an talk to them 3 times per person one of em says that they have to be able to hold their breth for ages and some are rumored to even sleep uderwater so basickly the cant breath underwater and they practice holding there breth for so they can hold it for 10+ muinte or 20 as it nromaly takes to play with all the pauses with the menus

FF freak
04-29-2005, 03:56 PM
Alright....then how do you explain their ablity to throw a ball so hard underwater? Don't tell me they uber train, cause no one could ever throw a ball that hard in the water no matter how hard they try.

DocFrance
04-29-2005, 04:42 PM
*ahem* Final Fantasy, people. Nobody ever complains that "people can't use magic!" when Lulu casts a spell.

Mika the Unsent
04-29-2005, 04:51 PM
*ahem* Final Fantasy, people. Nobody ever complains that "people can't use magic!" when Lulu casts a spell.

*Ahem* People can't use magic!

There...I feel better now! :lol:

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-29-2005, 04:57 PM
There's some special name for the water in Spira. I forget what it is, but basically, it's not normal water.

Shauna
04-29-2005, 05:33 PM
My dad said that there is some type of breathable gas, that's like water... But then he could have just made it up. :D

Cuchulainn
04-29-2005, 05:43 PM
hey don't breathe underwater, they hold their breath. There are references to this in many places. How they hold their breath for 5 minutes while playing an active sport is another matter. But I like the 'Its' Final Fantasy People' answer. Imma go with that.

abrojtm
04-29-2005, 10:07 PM
That's right, they don't breath underwater:
Tidus gasps when surfacing.
Yuna is seen training to hold her breath in the Eternal Calm video.
Other stuff already mentioned.

In the Navy, they train to hold their breath for like 3 minutes.

DocFrance
04-29-2005, 11:07 PM
In real life, the human brain begins to sustain permanent damage and deteriorate rapidly after being deprived of oxygen for more than five minutes.

Optium
04-29-2005, 11:14 PM
I like how a ton of people replied to this without even reading the first
post. Haha.

I can see not reading all the replies, but the first post ffs.

.opt

Destai
04-29-2005, 11:36 PM
I think it was Old Manus who reminded me of this absaloutely brilliant quote in the FFVII forums. "um...A wizard did it" That has to be the best quote ever.

sayen
04-30-2005, 12:26 AM
why do people never read my post mybie the grammer has something to do whit it oh well

i have heaps of evadance that they hold their breath underwater and most of it are qotes from ffx and ffx-2 so yah boo sucks besides i think its datto that says "its rumored the best can hold on so long they can sleep underwater"

Optium
04-30-2005, 01:26 AM
Well I think the title was just misleading. People probably thought, "oh this
is another guy complaining about an unrealistic aspect in a fantasy game.
better flame him." At least that's what I thought. But then I actually read
the damn post.

.opt

CaptRory
04-30-2005, 01:35 AM
Until discovering ingame that the players held their breath, I thought they played in an arena full of a kind of liquid oxygen. It actually exists, allows people to breathe fluid. It is used to help drowning victims as it will displace the water in their lungs.

fire_of_avalon
04-30-2005, 02:14 AM
I thought they had some kinda thing that helped them breathe. When you're on the Al Bhed ship in the beginning of the game, Brother thrusts this red thing at Tidus, and Tidus tries to knock it away. I thought it was some sort of breathing mechanism. But I dunno.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-30-2005, 02:17 AM
You mean dinner?

fire_of_avalon
04-30-2005, 02:21 AM
No, that was after Tidus and Rikku went underwater. This was before. Obviously :p

Mercen-X
04-30-2005, 05:51 AM
besides i think its datto that says "its rumored the best can hold on so long they can sleep underwater"
That in-game rumor is an exaggeration. Even if these people aren't normal, even if the water isn't normal, no one can actually sleep underwater. You lose control of all your bodily functions which is why you use the bathroom BEFORE you go to sleep.

I thought they had some kinda thing that helped them breathe. When you're on the Al Bhed ship in the beginning of the game, Brother thrusts this red thing at Tidus, and Tidus tries to knock it away. I thought it was some sort of breathing mechanism. But I dunno.
Some of the Al Bhed use breathing mechanisms. They assumed Tidus would need one. Some team members on the Al Bhed Psyches (and others you can recruit) actually wear oxygen masks. In FFX-2, little Shinra (as El Toro would say) "NEVER removes his mask."

ThroneofDravaris
04-30-2005, 04:46 PM
The real reason why people in FFX are able to hold their breath for over 5 minutes

The water in Spira is really Link Connection Liquid

Optium
04-30-2005, 06:06 PM
You don't lose all bodily functions. If you don't pee before you go to bed,
you won't automatically pee yourself at night. Your body will wake you up
and then you'll go pee. If you were to train yourself to the point where
your breathing became an almost completely conscious act, then you
might be able to stop yourself from breathing even when asleep until your
brain would realize that it was severely lacking oxygen and take over.
This is all theoretical, but it seems somewhat possible, of course it'd take
a lifetime of training to do...and there's really no point to it.

But in a fantasy game, I'm sure they could make that jump. If it's socially
accepted then some people may train from the day their born under the
guidance of their parents. Much as parents train their children musically
at very young ages so that it becomes a large part of their development
and they will, generally, be more musically inclined later in life.

.opt

Necronopticous
04-30-2005, 06:14 PM
They most definately hold their breath, as unrealistic as that is. To be honest, I'm more impressed by the party's ability to slide down on a shaking and moving rope, with their feet, from an aircraft that's moving, to a platform a quarter mile away, while doing backflips and other acrobatics no less.

Old Manus
04-30-2005, 06:26 PM
It was GOD.

Destai
04-30-2005, 06:34 PM
It was GOD.or a wizard?

Old Manus
04-30-2005, 06:35 PM
GOD = pwn3r Wizard.

fire_of_avalon
04-30-2005, 06:39 PM
They most definately hold their breath, as unrealistic as that is. To be honest, I'm more impressed by the party's ability to slide down on a shaking and moving rope, with their feet, from an aircraft that's moving, to a platform a quarter mile away, while doing backflips and other acrobatics no less.

Yeah, but that was uber sexy.

Necronopticous
04-30-2005, 06:42 PM

Yeah, but that was uber sexy.
I'm not going to argue against that.

crashNUMBERS
04-30-2005, 07:07 PM
Yeah thats why it has fantasy in it. Although thats not the entire reason they called the whole sries that name...

Zante
04-30-2005, 07:52 PM
That in-game rumor is an exaggeration. Even if these people aren't normal, even if the water isn't normal, no one can actually sleep underwater.

Nap shot, anyone? Also, Wakka passed out underwater without drowning.

DJZen
04-30-2005, 09:03 PM
Doesn't Tidus pant as he's swimming away from Geosgaeno?

Mercen-X
04-30-2005, 10:12 PM
You don't lose all bodily functions. If you don't pee before you go to bed, you won't automatically pee yourself at night. Your body will wake you up and then you'll go pee.
Your body doesn't wake you up. You dream about toilets or swimming pools and about being a little little kid. Only if you have will power enough to realize you're dreaming and wake up can you avoid relieving yourself while you sleep. I'm very good at this unless I haven't gone all day, then I make sure to take a trip before I sleep.
If you haven't gone all day, then you're using your muscles to avoid going, and thus if you fall asleep, your muscles will relax and you'll go.

As far as holding your breath while you sleep though, I've actually done that by accident. I dreamt that I was underwater so I wasn't breathing. It took me awhile to realize I was dreaming and so I finally started breathing. Otherwise, I probably would've died as there are only two things that happen when you can't breathe, passing out or dying. Since I was already asleep, I doubt passing out would've been an option. Unless you think I'd've just ended up in a coma. Heh. A coma as a result of a nightmare, there's a scary thought.

fire_of_avalon
05-01-2005, 03:46 AM
As far as holding your breath while you sleep though, I've actually done that by accident. I dreamt that I was underwater so I wasn't breathing. It took me awhile to realize I was dreaming and so I finally started breathing. Otherwise, I probably would've died as there are only two things that happen when you can't breathe, passing out or dying. Since I was already asleep, I doubt passing out would've been an option. Unless you think I'd've just ended up in a coma. Heh. A coma as a result of a nightmare, there's a scary thought.

I've done something similar to that, except I dreamed I was drowning under the ocean when I was actually swallowing my pillow. It was freaky.

TasteyPies
05-01-2005, 03:56 AM
Personaly I have never wet the bed, so I have no idea what you are talking about. I just wake up at my normal time and have a HUGE urge to pee. If peoples bodily functions stoped when they slept then their hearts would stop beating and their lungs would stop working. People's subconcious can keep people from pissing themselves unless they have, certain problems. Or am I just gifted with a wize bladder?

rubah
05-01-2005, 05:43 AM
I would say so.

Cruise Control
05-04-2005, 11:16 AM
I've done something similar to that, except I dreamed I was drowning under the ocean when I was actually swallowing my pillow. It was freaky.

lol

Vratar
05-04-2005, 09:14 PM
Your body doesn't wake you up. You dream about toilets or swimming pools and about being a little little kid. Only if you have will power enough to realize you're dreaming and wake up can you avoid relieving yourself while you sleep. I'm very good at this unless I haven't gone all day, then I make sure to take a trip before I sleep.
If you haven't gone all day, then you're using your muscles to avoid going, and thus if you fall asleep, your muscles will relax and you'll go.

While it is possible to pee because of a dream on rare occasions, the vast majority of (adult) people don't -- they wake up when the need gets too great. If this is happening to you often, you may want to see someone about it...

As far as holding your breath while you sleep though, I've actually done that by accident. I dreamt that I was underwater so I wasn't breathing. It took me awhile to realize I was dreaming and so I finally started breathing.

Stopping breathing in your sleep is called Sleep Apnea. If this is happening to you often, you should seriously consider seeing a doctor.

Both of these conditions are real medical issues. I don't think that a game forum is the right place to be discussing these things, much less joking about them. Seriously, if you are regularly having these issues, you should probably talk to someone about them...

Gwelenguchenkus
05-05-2005, 01:38 PM
ONe time, I had a 'dream' that I was being suffocated by a big black monster covering my face. I dreamt that I was struggling to breath, then I woke up gasping with my heart racing.

I seriously have no idea how that happened, but I definitely don't have speep apnea. My step father has sleep apnea, and I think it was something connected with his snoring.

Anyway, I figure that Square just didn't really care how realistic the concept was. I mean hell, look at the jecht shot when tidus is preforming it on his way to luca. I swear to god, he jumps like 10 feet in the air, freezes for about 2 seconds, then starts spinning rapidly. Also, people in FFX swim insanely fast underwater; it's unbelievable.

I don't know what that blitzball is made of either, but that is one AMAZING ball. I still think it's amazing Wakka can hit flying enemies with a ball, KILLING them, and then catch it right afterwards.

After watchig the jecht shot, I realized that if you throw a blitzball a certain way, you can literally curve it to insane amouts, hitting a wall and then curving and flying straight into the air. Wow. Have you seen how fast blitzballs fly underwater, by the way? Faster than you can swim (which is about 20 MPH in FFX Blitzball, while the ball flies like 60 MPH).

All of it is totally rediculous, but yes.. it is jsut a final fantasy, so don't get so worked up about the mechanics of everything. Although it's always good to think about for a laugh. Such as "I just realized that Squall wears like 12 belts, and that lulu has like 30 lined inside her dress. Maybe somebody has a belt fetish?".

sayen
05-05-2005, 02:58 PM
i try not to flame or put up poinltless topics i was just poining out the fact that the hold there breath cause someone said "the one fing ffx has taught us is that people can breath underwater" and that realy annyed me

Blitzball Hooligan
05-06-2005, 01:53 PM
I thought it had something to do with the pyreflies. I don't recall the source but I remember reading the Blitzballers are somehow able to use pyreflies for some sort of oxygen intake.

But the wizard doing it sounds more likely. ;)

DocFrance
05-06-2005, 02:01 PM
They all have Underwater materia equipped. Duh.

sayen
05-06-2005, 02:13 PM
They all have Underwater materia equipped. Duh.

wrong game mate thats ff7 i say this again they hold there breath it even says it in the game if you know where to look (fogot where but do rember)

Nod
05-06-2005, 05:02 PM
You don't lose all bodily functions. If you don't pee before you go to bed, you won't automatically pee yourself at night. Your body will wake you up and then you'll go pee.

I've taken a slash in my dreams and i havent woken up in a wet bed. The body trains itself not too pee whilst ur asleep. you wake yourself up.

Sketch Turner
05-07-2005, 02:41 AM
*Laughs* I mustv'e seen a million topics debating how Blitzball players can breathe under water.
Did...it occur to anyone that the water is not pure?...because it isn't.
Notice the black myst when going inside a Save Sphere?
Yeah, I believe there are some chemicals in the water that make it more breathable, kind of like a semi-balanced substance that's not too dense...and it couldn't be, judging by how fast players can actually move in it.
Two birds ith one stone, right there. Makes sense, doesn't it?

Gwelenguchenkus
05-08-2005, 05:50 AM
Uhh... you can think whatever you want, but considering how many unrealistic elements are in FFX besides blitzball, I'm willing to bet that the designers simply did not CARE how 'realistic' it was.

Must I say this again? Tidus stopping in mid air, and then beginning to spin like a top fr no reason at all isn't very realistic either. If you can give an explanation for that without the common 'it's just a fastasy' response, go ahead and try.

Optium
05-08-2005, 04:46 PM
Tidus has a magical ring which he uses to control the wind. He blows
papers in people's faces and stuff so that they don't pollute Spira. With his
four friends' powers combined they create Captain Gaia, a clean cut stud
in crazy colored spandex who flies around and does other awesome things.
In order to spin in mid-air, Tidus used his wind powers. In order to swim so
quickly, Tidus cheats by having his friend with the water ring move the
water around him and create a stream which he just floats in.

I just thought of this now actually...people are debating how the
characters can be underwater for such a long time. But shouldn't the
better question be, how the hell is there a giant floating sphere of water
in the middle of an arena?

Anyway, they do hold their breath. For proof of this, look at all the
underwater parts in the game, there are only 3 people who can go
underwater, and they can stay there for a damn long time. The others
haven't trained so they can't hold their breath for as long as those who
have.

.opt

Squall of SeeD
05-08-2005, 05:55 PM
As was previously mentioned at one point, Final Fantasy X: The Eternal Calm (also known as "Final Fantasy X: Another Story") shows us outright that this is all about holding one's breath underwater. The people do not breathe under there. There's no properties of the water or chemicals in them that allow for it.

This is how The Eternal Calm begins:

(The scene is the beach in Besaid. Yuna can be heard counting.)

Yuna: 37... 38... 39... 40... 41...

(Yuna breaks the surface of the water, and gasps for breath.)

Yuna: 2 minutes, 41 seconds. My longest yet.

(Wakka runs down the beach.)

Wakka: Yuna! It's time!

Yuna: Coming!

Wakka (grinning at Yuna with his arms crossed): You're diving like a real pro, ya?

Yuna: You'll always be the pro, Wakka.

Wakka: I dunno.

Wakka: It's been so long since I trained.

Yuna: You have gotten a little chubby.

(Wakka laughs, obviously embarassed.)

Yuna: And you're not even the one having the baby!

(Wakka runs off.)

Yuna (narrating): It's been two years. I've learned how to hold my breath for more than two minutes now. It takes more than physical strengths and theres some tricks that can't be taught. It took practice. Lots and lots of practice. I just had to keep trying until I figured it out for myself. You know what? Back then, I didn't think there were any tricks to it at all. I didn't have time to think. An eternal Calm. A slightly chubbly Wakka, and my 2 minutes, 41 seconds. It's not much but it's enough.

Note that in Final Fantasy X, only Wakka, Tidus, and Rikku had trained for staying underwater for long periods of time. Tidus and Wakka had done so because they were Blitzball players, and Rikku had done so due to training for underwater salvage missions. It is only these three that go underwater at Mt. Gagazet.

The people simply hold their breath.

DMKA
05-09-2005, 03:27 AM
It was GOD.

DocFrance
05-09-2005, 03:38 AM
In real life, the human brain begins to sustain permanent damage and deteriorate rapidly after being deprived of oxygen for more than five minutes.

Thus, Wakka.
:love:

DMKA
05-09-2005, 05:22 AM

Thus, Wakka.
:love:
:(

Yuffie514
05-09-2005, 05:34 AM
for goodness sakes, it's just a game. besides, FFX ppl look pretty evolved enough to be fish ppl. hmm, men by day and merman by night???

sayen
05-09-2005, 09:46 AM
As was previously mentioned at one point, Final Fantasy X: The Eternal Calm (also known as "Final Fantasy X: Another Story") shows us outright that this is all about holding one's breath underwater. The people do not breathe under there. There's no properties of the water or chemicals in them that allow for it.

This is how The Eternal Calm begins:

(The scene is the beach in Besaid. Yuna can be heard counting.)

Yuna: 37... 38... 39... 40... 41...

(Yuna breaks the surface of the water, and gasps for breath.)

Yuna: 2 minutes, 41 seconds. My longest yet.

(Wakka runs down the beach.)

Wakka: Yuna! It's time!

Yuna: Coming!

Wakka (grinning at Yuna with his arms crossed): You're diving like a real pro, ya?

Yuna: You'll always be the pro, Wakka.

Wakka: I dunno.

Wakka: It's been so long since I trained.

Yuna: You have gotten a little chubby.

(Wakka laughs, obviously embarassed.)

Yuna: And you're not even the one having the baby!

(Wakka runs off.)

Yuna (narrating): It's been two years. I've learned how to hold my breath for more than two minutes now. It takes more than physical strengths and theres some tricks that can't be taught. It took practice. Lots and lots of practice. I just had to keep trying until I figured it out for myself. You know what? Back then, I didn't think there were any tricks to it at all. I didn't have time to think. An eternal Calm. A slightly chubbly Wakka, and my 2 minutes, 41 seconds. It's not much but it's enough.

Note that in Final Fantasy X, only Wakka, Tidus, and Rikku had trained for staying underwater for long periods of time. Tidus and Wakka had done so because they were Blitzball players, and Rikku had done so due to training for underwater salvage missions. It is only these three that go underwater at Mt. Gagazet.

The people simply hold their breath.

thanks man i knew you yould write like a page about how the dont breath underwater

oh and i dont realy want to know about your dreams about water and drowning

DocFrance
05-09-2005, 01:40 PM
thanks man i knew you yould write like a page about how the dont breath underwater

Then don't read the thread, smart guy.

Halenite
05-09-2005, 02:38 PM
Yeah thats why it has fantasy in it. Although thats not the entire reason they called the whole sries that name...

It was originally called Final Fantasy because it was a last-ditch effort by squaresoft to make money, needless to say it worked and the name stuck.

sayen
05-09-2005, 03:01 PM

Then don't read the thread, smart guy.

its not very likly im not gonna read this as happen to have created this topic i just dont like reading other peoples sob storys like having a dream about drowning

the point of this topic was to establish that people cant breath underwater and if squall of seed had the time he wold put a lot of stuff up on this subjet

rubah
05-10-2005, 12:21 AM
Ever hear of something called a tangent?

And no I don't mean opposite over adjacent.

. . . or an intersection in exactly one point.

Okay, yeah I guess this *is* an intersection in exactly one point. Yay for obscured terms!

Gwelenguchenkus
05-10-2005, 02:12 AM

And no I don't mean opposite over adjacent.

. . . or an intersection in exactly one point.

Okay, yeah I guess this *is* an intersection in exactly one point. Yay for obscured terms!

trigonometry and calculus have no place here! *banishes calculus and trigonometry from this thread*

to prevent from going off on a tangent, I will say something related to this topic.

This is not waterworld, and wakka, tidus, rikku, or any of the blitzball or underwater scavenger peoples do not have gils behind their ears.

Big D
05-10-2005, 09:35 AM
Ya know, during a game of Blitzball it'd be easy to take a breath - simply poke your head through the surface of the sphere pool and BoB's your uncle.

It is stated in the game that Spirans hold their breath underwater. They can't breathe when they're immersed. Some of them - pro blitzers, for instance - can last a while if they're unconscious underwater, as evinced by Nap Shot during a game of blitz, or that brief time when Tidus is washed overboard from the ship on the way to Kilika. Blitzers train long and hard to be able to hold their breath for as long as possible; that's how they can out-last others when they're underwater.

It's also entirely possible that Save Sphere refill a character's lungs, just like they restore HP and MP.

sayen
05-10-2005, 12:09 PM

i know about tangents you mean talking bout something to prove a point as my point has been proved by many people i would like it to be closed now