PDA

View Full Version : Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean

Chris
04-29-2005, 03:44 PM
http://gamecube.game-special.com/cover/lost-ocean.jpg
I was think of buying this game -
but first I'd like to hear some stuff on it... if possible anyway. :D

So any thoughts on Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean?

Help appreciated,

Chris.

Destai
04-29-2005, 04:13 PM
http://www.gamespot.com/gamecube/rpg/batenkaitos/review.html
Im considering it myself. Gamespot have rated it, 8.5-great and the average user rating is 9.0-superb. Its from the makes of Xenosaga and the world looks pretty interesting.

omnitarian
04-29-2005, 04:57 PM
The bottom line is, if you're looking for a fun and unique way to kill 60 hours, Baten Kaitos is for you. If you're looking for an epic and engaging RPG masterpiece, I would proceed with caution.

The superfical things, like plot and voice acting, are campy at best. The plot does a okay job of keeping you fairly interested in what will come next, but it's pretty flat overall. The voice acting is... not good. (but here's a tip: set the audio settings to 'surround' to get rid of the weird echo effect.) The character development and stuff isn't even worth mentioning.

That said, the game is fun. The battle system is a welcome relief from the "press button, use attack, repeat x100" experience. Each turn, you're drawn a random set of cards for you to use. Depending on how and in what order you play your cards, you can rack up combo damage or unlock new cards. Even easy battles will require some semblance of concentration from the player.

Building decks is fun too. There's not too much strategy involved, it's usually "take out this weaker card and replace it with this shiny new one", but there will be times where you have to carefully judge wether changing cards will adversely effect your combo opportunities or character abilities.

If you don't like card-based RPGs, Baten Kaitos probably won't change that. If you can't permit a single flaw from distracting your gameplay experience, I would run for the hills. But if you're looking for anything else, then I highly reccomend Baten Kaitos.

(I wrote that all myself. Just now. Mweep!)

Daggers64
04-29-2005, 05:08 PM
Actually, I was misslead by this games preview... If you watch the long CG trailer for this game... then watch the intro CG on the game disc... THEY RE-DUBBED THE GAME!

I will say that the voice acting isn't its strong point... but why did they re-dub it after it was fine? are they trying to make the voice acting suck?
Also, the press demo for this game was awesome! there where real time backgrounds and camera angles that moved around you... but So far in the game I haven't see anything but good, layered, prerendered backgrounds. I'm not very far in the game yet... lol

Now that I've said that... lol I highly recommend this game! Its got a fun story and its battle system is unique and provids much fun... lol Altough sometimes it hard cause if you get a bad draw. XD
Even though I have some problems with this game, I love it! And I will continue to play it, once I get bored of Guild Wars. XD
I'd give this game an 8 out of 10!

Whats a little strange about this situation... a guy named chris suggested the game for me! =3

Chris
04-29-2005, 05:13 PM
Whats a little strange about this situation... a guy named chris suggested the game for me! =3

That WASN'T me!!!!!!!!! xD

But if I'd like to try out the card-battle thing for the first time, is this game the right one?

omnitarian
04-29-2005, 07:22 PM
But if I'd like to try out the card-battle thing for the first time, is this game the right one?

I don't see why not.

Lindy
04-29-2005, 07:32 PM
Love love love love love love love love LOVE this game.

The card battles are good, not "I play my Dark Wizard to attack your Health directly!" "Aha, you have activated my trap card!", etc.

And it's graphically beautiful, choosing to use pre-rendered backgrounds for far more pleasing imagery.

It's basically Chrono Cross with better graphics and cards.