PDA

View Full Version : Could there be a Blue version of EoFF 2005?

Agent Proto
04-29-2005, 03:56 PM
Simply put, a lot of members prefer the blue look of the Classic, and I wonder if it's possible if there could be a blue version of the new EoFF look, similar to that of EoFF Classic.

Well, don't fret, I provided a banner that could be used for the new blue look of EoFF 2005 skin.

So can this be possible?

Vyk
04-29-2005, 06:21 PM
Deffinitely. I want a cool banner, and thinner post blocks. Or something.. I vote yes. Even though this isn't like a petition or anything.

Jojee
04-29-2005, 06:36 PM
Why tint everything blue? Use classic if you want it. Sure, someone can go through the trouble of making it, but it just seems... icky to me ;] The current 2005 has color, it's not JUST brown. If you tint the banner blue, it's just gonna be a blue blah shade... We don't need so much blue >=(

Now pink, on the other hand...

Cybele
04-29-2005, 06:39 PM

Actually, I'd like to have a darker pink skin to use on here. The light one sometimes makes for an eye sore. But if you wanted to go for something unique and cool, make a purple one in the style of the 2005 one! :cool:

Agent Proto
04-29-2005, 06:41 PM
Yeah, but the classic banner is tinted blue. However, I like EoFF 2005, because it's slimmer, and of the colors used in the banner. And brown isn't that bad of a color in the first place.

Of course, I'm not saying that should be the banner for the blue version of EoFF 2005.

crono_logical
04-29-2005, 06:41 PM
I guess it'd be a 5-10 minute job if I could be bothered :p

Samuraid
04-29-2005, 07:41 PM
We should get a template system going for the front site and get it set up with multiple styles. :D:D

Carnage
04-29-2005, 07:53 PM
BLUE GOOD

BROWN BAD

Jojee
04-29-2005, 07:54 PM
Hey... could I make a pretty purplish style for EoFF? O=) Would you use it!?

crono_logical
04-29-2005, 08:52 PM
Ask BoB :p

crono_logical
04-29-2005, 09:06 PM
temporary zomg (http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=61072&styleid=22) :{

Jojee
04-29-2005, 09:27 PM
Better than classic^_~

Pretty please Bawb? :love:

Sepho
04-29-2005, 09:46 PM
I've been thinking the same thing.

We should get a template system going for the front site and get it set up with multiple styles. :D:D

I was thinking of suggesting this, too. Or even a full registration/membership system with a template class written in so registered members could choose different layouts (like the classic black layout) and style options. I'd be willing to work on it/help someone with it. I'm always looking for a reason to learn more PHP. Thoughts?

Yamaneko
04-29-2005, 09:58 PM
It's kind of redundant having a blue style for the 2005 theme. It should be unique. If you want the old colors use the classic theme.

I'm not a big fan of having a membership login area on the front site since I've always thought of the site and forums as seperate. Anyway, that's really none of my business since I don't bother with the front site.

Sepho
04-29-2005, 10:26 PM
I'm not a big fan of having a membership login area on the front site since I've always thought of the site and forums as seperate.

It still could be. It could utilize a completely different database than the one used for the boards, and it would be more useful to those who regularly frequent the front site for the information value and may not even be a member of the forums. We could incorporate some fun features for 'front site regulars'.

Another way of looking at it is the possibility of increased forum traffic as a result of a more active front site.

I understand what you're saying, though. I'd just like to throw it out there that I'd (and others, I'm sure; Samuraid sounds interested) be willing to work on it in my spare time, and it wouldn't hinder any regular site or forum activity.

If you want the old colors use the classic theme.

I would agree, except for the fact that the difference in styles goes beyond color schemes. The wide percentage width of the old style is undoubtedly a big turn off for many (I'm personally indifferent for the most part, but one of the reasons I switch to 2005 every now and then is because of the narrow, sexier, viewing area).

Shlup
04-29-2005, 10:27 PM
We need like fifty more styles. That would rawk!

Jojee
04-29-2005, 10:30 PM
We need like fifty more styles. That would rawk! Damn you, why did you quit!? :p :p

Psychotic
04-29-2005, 10:34 PM
omgz liek green style with SNOW falling plzthx?!?!?!

Jojee
04-29-2005, 10:47 PM
I'm for it!

Shlup
04-29-2005, 10:52 PM
*hits the unquit button and makes fifty and three new styles*

Mercen-X
04-29-2005, 11:05 PM
Why tint everything blue? Use classic if you want it. Sure, someone can go through the trouble of making it, but it just seems... icky to me ;] The current 2005 has color, it's not JUST brown. If you tint the banner blue, it's just gonna be a blue blah shade... We don't need so much blue >=(

Don't tint everything blue. That would make it look like seeing through blue tinted sunglasses which one could do on their own. Just change on the brown/greys to blue/skies

Sepho
04-29-2005, 11:12 PM
temporary zomg (http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=61072&styleid=22) :{

No, clownface, the poster info etc. has to be on the left of the post a la EoFF Classic. DUH!

Psychotic
04-29-2005, 11:22 PM
No, clownface, the poster info etc. has to be on the left of the post a la EoFF Classic. DUH!Thread display options are your friend. (http://forums.eyesonff.com/profile.php?do=editoptions)

Samuraid
04-29-2005, 11:24 PM
It still could be. It could utilize a completely different database than the one used for the boards, and it would be more useful to those who regularly frequent the front site for the information value and may not even be a member of the forums. We could incorporate some fun features for 'front site regulars'.

Another way of looking at it is the possibility of increased forum traffic as a result of a more active front site.

I understand what you're saying, though. I'd just like to throw it out there that I'd (and others, I'm sure; Samuraid sounds interested) be willing to work on it in my spare time, and it wouldn't hinder any regular site or forum activity.

I would agree, except for the fact that the difference in styles goes beyond color schemes. The wide percentage width of the old style is undoubtedly a big turn off for many (I'm personally indifferent for the most part, but one of the reasons I switch to 2005 every now and then is because of the narrow, sexier, viewing area).

I've been tossing this idea around for a while as Cid mentioned wanting to do it at some point. The current problem is that it either requires a bunch of useless SSI, or I would need to port all the frontsite pages over to PHP. (that would kinda put a monkeywrench (no offense Jojo) in others easily updating pages)

The best solution would be to implement a template system for all the frontsite pages and mod_rewrite all the URLs. It would involve a massive overhaul which may be more than anyone wants at the moment...especially with the frontsite taking a while to get updated to the new style.

As for databases, it would be best use the vBulletin table instead of creating a separate table. It would be a big pain to try and keep two tables synchronized and it would be resource-intensive to try and join a few tables for every single frontsite pageload.

Ultimately, I don't think we are at the point to do something like that yet...but I would love to get something like that going this summer, staff and Cid willing. :)

Sepho
04-29-2005, 11:24 PM
omg yes

I'm donating 100 head of cattle to your family.

nik0tine
04-30-2005, 12:09 AM
Damnit psychotic! I clicked on your link and now everything is blue!

eestlinc
04-30-2005, 12:26 AM
EoFF classic > all

Del Murder
04-30-2005, 02:10 AM
...with Quick Reply

fire_of_avalon
04-30-2005, 03:22 AM
Blue Auron makes foa sad. ;_;

Yamaneko
04-30-2005, 07:06 AM
...with Quick Reply
You make me sad.

Loony BoB
04-30-2005, 09:28 AM
The existing styles are enough as it is. There's no way in hell I'm going to encourage more styles just to satisfy a few people's tastes - I think the general three we have are fine. We only had one for years and nobody really complained that much. The more we do for people who want to mix and match, the more people are going to ask for more. The last thing I want is for this place to become more like Fool's Gold, where some people might say they had more styles than they have brains. There are actually 12 styles right now, most of them just aren't selectable (and only about two or three of those were actually completed for use, I think).

I am however starting to work on the idea clout and I discussed in the past of an extremely simplified style that is entirely image-less etc, but it might take a while to get sorted out, and it will not use the black and blue but rather be (probably) white and black. It'll probably take some time, though. The main aim of it is to be friendly for both work environments (ie mine, I don't like having my boss always see a black and blue site, it's way too obvious it's not for work :p) and for 56k users.

crono_logical
04-30-2005, 09:53 AM
Maybe I'll delete the 2005 Blue style later :} There's areas of it that look crap I can't be bothered to fix :p

Loony BoB
04-30-2005, 10:05 AM
If you don't, I will. xD

crono_logical
04-30-2005, 11:00 AM
Actually, some areas of crap are because of problems in parent styles, so I guess I'll have to fix them for the other styles anyway xD

Loony BoB
04-30-2005, 12:12 PM
I'm gonna remove it from the list anyway. I don't see the point in it aside from aesthetics, and while I admit that's a big point, we already have a blue style. People will start asking for a brown tinted version of EoFF Classic and a pink version of each and a blue and brown version of Fluffy Puff and ARGH! Well, okay, maybe not all of those, but you get the idea. The styles are totally different for a reason - to have different styles.

Also, if anyone wants to, they can feel free to roam through the style I'm working on (selectable for now).

I hope to remove almost (not every) all images along with making the overall look as simple as possible while still keeping most functions available to users. Looks like it's going alright so far. If anyone wants me to look into any part of it, let me know. Suggestions are welcome. Just avoid suggestions about the reply page for now, as that'll be the last part I work on, and also keep in mind that I've only started this today and it will not use a lot of the options found in the user CP - eg, the postbit setting will be permanently set on "Above the post" in this style (mainly because there is nothing but the username in the postbit location in this style anyway :p). Quick Reply will not be usable in this style.

Avatar / Sig images will remain on the profile pages, though.

crono_logical
04-30-2005, 12:45 PM
Pssh, if it's meant to be dialup friendly, I think quick reply should be available to save an extra page load :p Maybe I'll go through the custom user option stuff for you after you're done :p

Rainecloud
04-30-2005, 01:03 PM
Maybe I'll delete the 2005 Blue style later :} There's areas of it that look crap I can't be bothered to fix :p

Sounds good. Although it does look quite promising.

Loony BoB
04-30-2005, 01:10 PM
Pssh, if it's meant to be dialup friendly, I think quick reply should be available to save an extra page load :p Maybe I'll go through the custom user option stuff for you after you're done :p
Only if you post every time you visit a thread page. Quick Reply takes just as long as the rest of the entire page to load up. That's widely recognised at vB already.

theundeadhero
04-30-2005, 02:51 PM
If it wasn't for quick reply I would use the fluffy pink style. :p

Jojee
04-30-2005, 06:24 PM
You can have quick reply on fluffy pink too, can't you? ^_^

crono_logical
04-30-2005, 06:29 PM
*posts with quick reply in fluffy puff* :} (http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?p=1101647&styleid=16#post1101647)

Shlup
05-01-2005, 06:29 AM
I always post in Fluffy Puff with quick reply. I'm doing it right now. :p

Jojee
05-01-2005, 06:12 PM
Wow, that's really simplified. Where are the... avatars... @.@ *falls over and switches to Fluffy Puff*

Shlup
05-02-2005, 07:17 AM
The new style causes me to plunge into a deep depression.

Big D
05-02-2005, 07:30 AM
BoB's simplified style = yes.

I pay by the megabite for every page I visist, so this'll save me some coin in the long-run. The option of avatars would be nice, though, but that's just my opinion:thumb:

Loony BoB
05-02-2005, 10:59 AM
The #1 reason I made that style is to avoid loads of pictures being on my screen because my workmates will know that I'm not doing work immediately. :p I've removed avatars for that reason. It's not meant to be pretty by any means, though. The original idea was to have it look like the archive, so if we wanted to go ahead with that, we'd have a long way to go. :p

The #2 reason was for dialup users since if I'm going to make a simple style, I may as well make it so that it doesn't have to load up many images at all. I think I got some pages to have like... two or three image altogether, and they were tiny, too.