PDA

View Full Version : Avatar Probs.

disapointedchild
04-30-2005, 06:03 AM
Only because Leeza said to, why do I always get this message when I try to put a custom avatar.

"The uploaded file is not a valid GIF, JPG, or PNG file. Please ensure that it is and try again."

I even get it when i try and put the one I already have back in.

Any help would do.

crono_logical
04-30-2005, 09:40 AM
It's either too big and it's not telling you, or it's a bitmap in disguise. What browser are you using? You could try attaching it here for us to take a look at :p

disapointedchild
05-01-2005, 03:22 AM
This is the one I am trying to put in.

TheAbominatrix
05-01-2005, 04:59 AM
It's a bitmap file, that's why.

Try this one.

crono_logical
05-01-2005, 11:08 AM
Are you using Internet Explorer? If that's the file you get from saving your current avatar and are trying to upload it back, then I suggest you empty it's cache to fix the problem of IE saving all images as bitmaps.

disapointedchild
05-02-2005, 02:18 AM
I dont think I am using internet explorer, unless sbc yahoo dsl is internet explorer. What I usually do is save it onto my computer then try to upload it by using the browse command. The one you gave me "TheAbominatrix" didnt work. But I did the same thing, that I have been doing with it. How else can I put it on?

rubah
05-02-2005, 02:38 AM
what does it say in the bar at the top of the window that you're viewing this thread in? xDDD all of it.

Abominatrix gave you a jpeg there, but if you're using IE and or have a REALLY OVERLY FULL cache, it won't let you save as a jpeg. (also, it seems as though with my old computer I couldn't save as jpeg anyways)

[quick, possibly unnecessary overview on relations of isps and browsers and internet]
yahoo is an ISP, something that allows you to connect to websites and see their content. You view the content through a webbrowser. One of these is internet explorer, and it comes with windows. another is safari, which is for apple computers, and a third is firefox, which is distributed by mozilla. or some weird relationship like that.
[/quick probably unneeded overview]

disapointedchild
05-02-2005, 02:41 AM
Do you mean the url bar?
What the heck is a "cache?"
How, can I fix this?
I am so computer iliterate.

Jojee
05-02-2005, 02:56 AM
If this doesn't work I don't know what will ^_^

disapointedchild
05-02-2005, 03:03 AM
Whenever I try and upload any of these new avatars you all give me I still get the same message. I am beginning to become frustrated. I am using internet explorer. How else can I get this avatar without saving it to my comp first.

rubah
05-02-2005, 03:28 AM
by getting someone to upload it for you:P

heck, I'll do it.

http://www.snowy-day.net/stuff/gif.gif

your own avatar. use the 'link from external site' or whatever option.

If you want to fix your problem, try a new browser, or empty your temporary internet files. If you have enough of them to not let you save as anything but bitmap, it could take a while to do.

disapointedchild
05-02-2005, 03:44 AM
Thanks a lot rubah, it is greatly appreciated, and thanks to the rest of you who tried to help me.

So will I have to do this every time?

crono_logical
05-02-2005, 03:49 AM
Not if you fixed your browser by emptying it's cache. :D Go to Tools in the menu > Options, and click the Delete Files button to empty the cache. You can test it's fixed by trying to change your avatar again by saving it and trying to upload it from your computer instead of using the hosted one earlier. :p

EDIT: Alternative is get a better web browser (getfirefox.com) :p

TheAbominatrix
05-02-2005, 04:45 AM
With all the security issues IE has, you may wanna look into downloading Firefox. I did a while ago and I'll never use IE again.

Leeza
05-02-2005, 07:03 AM
Yeah, you don't get this problem with Firefox, but when I used IE I would constantly have to be clearing out all of the temp stuff on a regular basis or my images would only save a .bmps as well.