PDA

View Full Version : video game stories

darkchrono
04-30-2005, 10:34 PM
How good do you think stories in video games actually are. I read a little interview that some developers who are in charge of creating video game storylines did with gamespot some time ago. And they said in general 99% of stories in video games are terrible. And it is only through the players imagination that they actually become decent.

So do you think most all video game storylines are terrible as well. If you take away all the rumors or knowledge that you have come up with about the storylines through the message boards and just base your opinions on it solely through the actual game. How deep or shallow do you think the games actually are. Is the fact that there is so many debates and what not about the final fantasy stories on these boards an indication of not how good the story actually was. But infact how weak the story was.

The only story that I can think of that could come close in the video game industry to actually rival a novel in terms of depth would probably be xenogears. And even that would probably be a stretch.

So how good do you think stories in video games actually are.

Erdrick Holmes
04-30-2005, 10:47 PM
Guilty Gear X2 #Reload=best storyline of any video game. And don't give me any bull/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif about how it CAN'T have one because it's a fighting game.

BatChao
05-01-2005, 02:47 AM
Most video game stories are on par with movies... most are entertaining enough to keep you interested enough to keep playing. But that's alright because the point of a game is to play it... and story isn't really that important. But once in a while, there'll be a story that'll be good enough to hook you in even if the gameplay isn't that great.

The GG story doesn't count because they don't really explain it in the game... you have to look that crap up yourself... sorry. Haha. :tongue:

Erdrick Holmes
05-01-2005, 03:04 AM
Not if you play GGX2's story mode.

Shoeberto
05-01-2005, 04:18 AM
Half-life, but, at least for me, BatChao's thing on GGX is the same. I had no clue what is was supposed to be until I looked it up, but when I did, it was really cool. VC said that Blue Shift and Opposing Force go to explain a lot more, so y'know.

darkchrono
05-01-2005, 04:31 AM
actually I think it is difficult to compare video game stories to stories in movies. Because games have about 20-30 times longer to wield their story than movies do.

And to be honest I think story writers who work on movies are quite abit more talented than the ones who work on games are. Evidence of this would be of how bad of job square did in trying to create a storyline for just an hour and a half long movie like they tried to do for The Spirits Within.

Azure Chrysanthemum
05-01-2005, 04:37 AM
And to be honest I think story writers who work on movies are quite abit more talented than the ones who work on games are.

Hardly true. They are simply two different mediums and are thus executed in different ways. You can be an awesome game story writer and be a piss-poor movie story writer, or vice-versa, simply because the two mediums are so inherently different. Take me for example, I'm great at writing stories, but my screenplay writing ability isn't up to snuff. That doesn't mean you can't learn other styles, but the fact that they're different makes it hard for a person who specializes in one field to adapt.

And frankly, I think it varies. There are a lot of cliches in both movies and video games, simply because so much has already been done that something truly unique is difficult to accomplish. Of the games that have impressed me, story-wise, Final Fantasy is generally fairly good at delivering a good story (some better than others), Xenogears was the best I've ever seen, Zone of the Enders (2 moreso than 1) was quite good for its length, Xenosaga is pretty good for as far as I've played (we'll see how it turns out once all 6 have been released), and the Shin Megami Tensei storylines are intriguing, if not incredibly depressing.

theundeadhero
05-01-2005, 07:07 AM
Most video game stories have plotholes in them that requires the use of your imagination to fill in the gaps, but it's still the storytelling that I love.

darkchrono
05-01-2005, 07:56 AM
are the plotholes purposely put there or do you think the plotholes are a sign of how weak the writing actually is?

Xalioniaf
05-01-2005, 08:04 AM
it's things like these that we have FanFiction (http://www.fanfiction.net). Bad loophole in storyline? Explain it yourself and stop asking the developers! They're working on the prequal.

Rainecloud
05-01-2005, 08:18 AM
I've never really thought about it. I've always presumed that games like Final Fantasy VII, IX and X have great storylines, but to the casual public audience, they're probably not that interesting at all.

At least storylines in games have improved somewhat since the days of Pong. Can you imagine having a storyline in that one? Lies, deceit and treachery as paddle 1 bribes paddle 2 to step aside and let the ball into the ... goal thingy, thus causing player 2 to collapse in a hissy fit of uncontrollable anger!

No. It just wouldn't work.

darkchrono
05-01-2005, 08:46 AM
yeah I think the only storyline in a game that the general public would find all that good would be the xenogears story. And I am sure many people who are real novel reading avids would find even the xenogears story as being pure garbage.

And I wouldn't pay a whole lot of attention to all that fan fiction stuff. Some of those guys take there work just a weeeeeeee bit to seriously. I don't know. Writing stories over worlds and characters that I did not create and making those stories I write my life's passion seems a little sad.

kikimm
05-01-2005, 06:44 PM
actually I think it is difficult to compare video game stories to stories in movies. Because games have about 20-30 times longer to wield their story than movies do.

And to be honest I think story writers who work on movies are quite abit more talented than the ones who work on games are. Evidence of this would be of how bad of job square did in trying to create a storyline for just an hour and a half long movie like they tried to do for The Spirits Within.

I actually don't agree with any of this. :) Movie writers can be just as terrible, even more so than writers for video games. Gigli, How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days, Adam's Sandler's past couple movies---ugh. Of course, I could do the same thing with video game storylines. Shadow Hearts, The Legend of Dragoon, blah blah.

Right now, I'm enjoying video game storylines a LOT more than I'm enjoying any movies that are currently out, or just were out. Like you said, games have loads of more time to convey their ideas, and present their story; I get much more attatched to the characters in my games than I do in a movie.

Hey, I loved The Spirits Within, but I'm well aware that I'm a part of the minority. It's all about opinion, and I don't agree with this article you read. I think video game storylines really are good; they can definitley live up to the books that I read. But this is noly what I think.

:D

DMKA
05-01-2005, 07:38 PM
What's a plothole?

darkchrono
05-01-2005, 08:24 PM
a part of the story that the game leaves blank or doesn't explain.

Also DMKA I would take off that picture you got on there as it is kind of a spoiler to those who havn't finished or played the game yet.

Lord Chainsaw
05-02-2005, 03:30 AM
A story doesn't have to be very complex to be good. An example of that would be the Actraiser series. The game Actraiser on the SNES is my favorite video game story of all time. Compare it to anything by Matsuno and you'll find it's pretty basic. That's not the point. Matsuno's stories are very, very good, but that's about the extent of them.

Actraiser is a work of art. The story extends beyond the textual updates the tiny cherub gives you between stages. This is, and I know it is, where the majority of games fall flat on their face. The storywriter thinks he can entice the player with some incredibly complex plot with twists and turns, character backstory, and 30-40 hours of play. You need more than that. Take a look at Actraiser. Every single element in that game comes together beautifully to express that story. The gameplay, the music, the environments, all of them are a part of that story. This is one of the very few games that takes full advantage of every single element a video game offers to tell that incredible tale.

Mr. Developer, by god man, you've got beautiful visuals, lush graphics, and musical aid to use to tell your story. Books don't. You've got the potential for incredibly addictive gameplay elements to put the player in the position of the protagonist and define his role. Movies don't. You have these advantages that other mediums don't. Why don't you USE them?

If you want my opinion on two games that are absolutely beautiful works of art, then check out Actraiser on the SNES, and the Final Fantasy Legend on the big clunker gameboy. Sure, they obviously won't be as complex as Xenogears, but they do utilize every single output to deliver an incredible experience.

http://www.armchairempire.com/images/classics/actraiser/actraiser-2.jpg

Azure Chrysanthemum
05-02-2005, 04:06 AM
yeah I think the only storyline in a game that the general public would find all that good would be the xenogears story. And I am sure many people who are real novel reading avids would find even the xenogears story as being pure garbage.

Uh... no. I've been an avid reader of novels since I picked up a copy of C.S. Lewis's The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe in third grade. Also, the Xenogears storyline is probably way over the head of the general public, but I found it to be quite interesting and involved. As I understand it, it was originally written as a book, and it is executed quite well in the game itself.

As much as it pains me to say this, a novel isn't the "golden standard" of a good story, a lot of crap (like romance novels) get published with little difficulty.

Masamune·1600
05-02-2005, 04:29 AM
I'm fairly sure that the novel that formed the basis for Xenogears was written by Hideo Kojima, best known for his work with the Metal Gear/Metal Gear Solid series. Another reason to love Xenogears, really.

Azure Chrysanthemum
05-02-2005, 05:24 AM
Hideo Kojima is quite talented. Another good series of his is the Zone of the Enders series.

nik0tine
05-02-2005, 07:19 AM
It really depends on the game. Most of the Final Fantasy games have excellent stories. However, MOST games just don't have good storylines. Most FPS' have terrible storylines, and alot of the RPGs of today dont have great storylines. The above average games however, do.

Masamune·1600
05-02-2005, 07:44 AM
It really depends on the game. Most of the Final Fantasy games have excellent stories. However, MOST games just don't have good storylines. Most FPS' have terrible storylines, and alot of the RPGs of today dont have great storylines. The above average games however, do.

Well said.

darkchrono
05-02-2005, 08:39 AM
I don't know. When you stop and think about it I am not sure you can really say that they all have really good storylines.

Take ff7 for instance which has arguably the best storyline out of any of the final fantasy games. When you stop and think about it what really happens during the game? Not really much at all. You meet the characters. They do a few backstories on them so you can get to know them better. Then they go from town to town searching for information about Sephiroth until at the end of the game they find him and defeat him.

Now I admit I really like ff7 because the characters are so well done and thought out. But when you think of the overall storyline what really happens during the game? The answer to be honest is not really a whole lot.

I think alot of people get drawn into the game because the characters are alot more developed than most other video games. But not really a whole lot happens during the game. They pretty much just spend the majority of the time developing the characters.

Destai
05-02-2005, 10:47 AM
The only games Im interested in are the ones with a story driving them and my idea of games with a good story would be the first two discs of Final Fantasy VIII, I thought FFVII's story was genuinely good, .hack// has an excellent storyline, Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy VI. I thought the FF's before VI often corny. I havent played the game but Id imagine Xenosaga and Xenogeasr have very good stories.

Zifnab
05-02-2005, 11:50 AM
Games can certainly have great plots, but most don't utilise it fully. I used to play RPGs for their story, but after reading books more often their plots do lose quite a lot. A book can go beyond the images, delve into the thoughts of the character, and every single word is an event that's currently occuring.
While some games do have excellent plot, what needs to be remembered is that it's still a game. While in a book, a dungeon would be an atmospheric adventure where we learn more about the characters, in a game it's only filler. Most RPGs will have dialogue before a dungeon, usually something pointless like "Let's go!", and maybe a bit when they reach the boss monster.
Xenogears does have one of the most compelling stories in my mind, however. Metal Gear Solid manages to do away with the "filler" by breaking it up with a nice amount of cutscenes. But I'm still waiting for a game that has a brilliant piece of story telling to once again leave me in awe.

Lord Chainsaw
05-02-2005, 04:29 PM
But I'm still waiting for a game that has a brilliant piece of story telling to once again leave me in awe.

You need to look past the plot to see it. Brilliant storytelling in a video game does not necessarily mean brilliant plot.

Azure Chrysanthemum
05-02-2005, 05:05 PM
I don't know. When you stop and think about it I am not sure you can really say that they all have really good storylines.

Take ff7 for instance which has arguably the best storyline out of any of the final fantasy games. When you stop and think about it what really happens during the game? Not really much at all. You meet the characters. They do a few backstories on them so you can get to know them better. Then they go from town to town searching for information about Sephiroth until at the end of the game they find him and defeat him.

Now I admit I really like ff7 because the characters are so well done and thought out. But when you think of the overall storyline what really happens during the game? The answer to be honest is not really a whole lot.

I think alot of people get drawn into the game because the characters are alot more developed than most other video games. But not really a whole lot happens during the game. They pretty much just spend the majority of the time developing the characters.

I don't know what you're expecting then, because it's the same for books. Books just don't have random encounters since you don't need to level up in a book, so they can just skip it.

Take Lord of the Rings, for example. They do approximately the same amount of stuff as they do in FFVII (bear in mind, in Final Fantasy you're visiting every town in the world). Same basic formula, Lord of the Rings just has an extra 300 pages or so to make up for time lost with random battles. Every story can be broken down into conflict, journey (either physical or metaphysical, basically the journey to resolve said conflict), and resolution.

Zifnab
05-02-2005, 07:22 PM
But I'm still waiting for a game that has a brilliant piece of story telling to once again leave me in awe.

You need to look past the plot to see it. Brilliant storytelling in a video game does not necessarily mean brilliant plot.
I'll agree there, as something very simple can be made into an epic scenario with the right words and images. I'm just tired of the very basic "go into a cave and find a rare herb to save a dying child" type plot with most RPGs, so blatantly filler with predictable dialogue I just skim over and feel nothing towards. There's only so many times "Thank you for saving my son, here's 3000 gold!" can be read before it gets old. I feel nothing towards the mother or the child, I'm merely happy that I can finally afford whatever item I've been saving up for.

darkchrono
05-03-2005, 12:46 AM
To be honest with you I think the storyline in the Lord of the Rings is about 20 times better than the storyline in ff7.

There is really no comparison between the two.

Azure Chrysanthemum
05-03-2005, 01:21 AM
To be honest with you I think the storyline in the Lord of the Rings is about 20 times better than the storyline in ff7.

That's not the point. The point is that it's the same basic formula. Lord of the Rings was simply executed better(?) than Final Fantasy VII.

And for the record, I dislike the way Lord of the Rings was done, and while the story itself was intriguing, it lost a lot of power in the way it stretched on tediously for many more pages than it should have.