PDA

View Full Version : Having problems with my ps2, need help.

Seraf
05-01-2005, 12:20 AM
Just recently my PS2 has refused to play my PSOne games yet it plays all DvD's and PS2 games on the first attempt. Could somebody please tell me what is wrong with it and how I can fix it? I can't return the PS2 as it was previously owned by another person and they removed the little VOID sticker on the back : / so if I need to open the console and adjust anything, I can do so without worrying about that warrenty.

Ok, so here's the dealio about my PS2. I called that number and talked to a representitive about my system and they asked me all these questions and they finally told me this.

"It seems that your console is out of warrenty(No duh) but we have 2 solutions for you. One, you can send in your console and pay by Credit card or Debit card for a fee of $45.00 and have the system repaired or replaced with a new one, or two you can send in the system with a check or money order for $83.23 and have the system checked and have broken parts replaced."

: / I don't have a credit card number and I'm definitly not paying that much money for a "Checkup", I might as well trade in my console for about $50-60 at EB and save my money up and get a PS2 slim.

Laguna
05-01-2005, 12:31 AM
hmm- if the console is faulty it will cause more problems trading it to EB!

I know for a fact certain psone games will not run on a ps2 (the original time crisis for example wont load at all). Are you sure its every single psone game that wont work?

I would never advise attempting repair on a console, it can cause a lot of problems. This is particularly true with the ps2 where they put a lot of effort into making it tamper proof. I'd just pay to have it replaced I guess, or buy a new one if its cheaper.

Seraf
05-01-2005, 12:33 AM
Here is the list of PSOne games I've tried playing that didn't work.

1. Final Fantasy VII
2. Final Fantasy VIII
3. Final Fantasy V
4. Final Fantasy IX
5. Metal Gear Solid
6. Monster Rancher: Card Battle

All of these used to work...

TasteyPies
05-01-2005, 12:37 AM
I remember hearing something about ps2s having problems playing blue or black discs after a time, depending on your system. Ps1 discs are black so that there is your problem.

Luckily I have had my ps2 for 4-5 years and still no problems yet :D

Does the screen turn red and say, "Please insert a ps1 or ps2 disc now" or does it stay black and just refuse to load?

Seraf
05-01-2005, 12:44 AM
No, sometimes I get a "Disk read error" and sometimes the Disk will show up as being read and when I click on the CD icon the screen just goes Black and that's it.. : (

PS2 games that worked..All of them:

1. MGS 3: Snaker Eater
2. RE:Oubreak
3. GTA: Vice City
4. Final Fantasy X-2
5. KillZone

TasteyPies
05-01-2005, 12:47 AM
The console gods are angry! Appease them by making a burnt offering of your ffx-2! Quick! Its the only way!

edit:How old is your ps2? It could just be suffering from old age. Either way its a problem with your ps2 and you need to replace it. Btw, don't buy one used. Alot of people sell things because there is something wrong with them.

Seraf
05-01-2005, 12:52 AM
lol but I like FFX-2.

Anyways, the system is about a year and a half, two years old.

Mercen-X
05-01-2005, 01:06 AM
If it was previously owned then that could be a major problem.

My original PS2 stopped playing FF7,8,9, Jet Moto 2, THPS, THPS2, and even some of my PS2 games, though it played DVD's just fine, except for those that I got from magazines.

PS2 Slim can play practically anything. I never thought I'd love it.

Thing's freakin' tiny. You could so easily throw it at someone you despise.

Optium
05-01-2005, 01:10 AM
Have you tried turning it vertically? If it is, have you tried horizontally?

.opt

Seraf
05-01-2005, 01:11 AM
I'll try that verticle thing in a second. I'm shutting MGS 3 off, lol.

Seraf
05-01-2005, 01:15 AM
Nope, it still doesn't work : (

Sepho
05-01-2005, 01:16 AM
I'll try that verticle thing in a second. I'm shutting MGS 3 off, lol.

I know it's hard, but I think we can make it through this.

Seraf
05-01-2005, 01:31 AM
It didn't work : o I just tried playing FFVII in my PSOne...didn't work.. hmm...?

Shoeberto
05-01-2005, 01:38 AM
The DRE is extremely common, especially in older model PS2s. Now, there is a DIY ways of fixing it, but it's slow, tedious, and not at all guaranteed to work. If you have a PS1 and the games still play, use it. When it gets to the point that PS2 games don't play anymore you'll probably just have to get a new console.

Seraf
05-01-2005, 01:51 AM
PSOne doesn't seem to want to play any PSOne games either, lol.. is it possible that there is some sort of unknown substance stuck to the bottom of my Disks that are making them hard to read? o-o

Shoeberto
05-01-2005, 02:02 AM
How old is your PS1? After a long time, just like any hardware, the PS1 CDROM have a lot of problems reading discs. I know mine did. One thing that helps when it starts to happen is to turn your PS1 on its side using something to hold it up. That forces the PS1 to use a different side of its lens to read the disc. It worked when my PS1 was getting old in its years.

Seraf
05-01-2005, 02:06 AM
I've had my PSOne since they first launched..lol. It's my old faithful and has always worked until now :( now it just sounds like a Yeti when I turn it on X_X

I did find an online company that will repair my PSOne for $10 exactly, they will replace any bad parts inside and mail it back.

JaytodaP
05-01-2005, 03:23 AM
try turning it upside down. My PSone's been upside down for years now!
o_O

Seraf
05-01-2005, 04:06 AM
After searching around and making many phone calls I've managed to find a PSOne(Tiny) for $20, practically brand new. I get 2 controllers, memory card and all cables with it.

Yrkoon
05-01-2005, 09:45 PM
my older ps2 had the dre errors i looked it up on a search engine an found a guide to open it up ive successfully opened it up twice now.

all i had to do was open and clean the lens with lens cleaner fluid and a a cotton bud or the second time i used a camera lens cloth dabbed in lens cleaner fluid and its working like its new :)

Seraf
05-01-2005, 09:54 PM
Can you send me the links on how to do this please? My warrenty is gone so I guess there's no harm in trying to do this, lol. As long as I don't break it.

Old Manus
05-01-2005, 11:10 PM
The exact same thing happened to me, and many others, Seraf. It stops accepting PS1 disks, moves on to DVD Videos, then DVD Roms (PS2). My old PS2 has completely conked out and accepts nothing at all, so I got a new one (after forking out large wads of cash for the new slim one).

Search on google for how to fix it, I tried it and it DOES work (with me). It accepted PS2 disks, some PS1 disks, but not DVDs. However my PS2 was beyond repair at that time. Remember the fix is only temporary, it will go back to what it was like after time.

P.S. For the record, I've had my PS1 since 1998 and it works perfectly.