PDA

View Full Version : Kimahri and branching paths.

Gwelenguchenkus
05-01-2005, 12:02 PM
Okay, so it has been paining me for a long time how to go about the progression through Kimahri's grid.

From what I see, unless I missed something (very possible) it is not possible to send Kimahri down Auron's grid from the beginning? I looked for a branch to Auron's part of the grid and I could not find it! Do I have to cut some corners somewhere?

Every single time I've played this game (twice) I took him down Rikku's path. I always hear about people taking Kimahri down several paths (auron, then wakka, then... etc) By this do you mean that you learn some abilities, then use a keysphere to branch into someone else's territory? I don't remember being able to do this, because they were high level keyspheres that I didn't have until later. Or maybe, do you mean that you have COMPLETED the first person's section and then moved somewhere else, completed it.. etc?

What is your strategy? Do you get to a branching point, then build up sphere levels until you get a keystone that lets you pass?

I want to know how you managed to do all of the branching that you did. Also, what are the best branches to go down? Kimahri has great potential as a black mage, so I was thinking about it, but then I was worried I wouldn't be able to get the steal ability for him which is really useful.

I was thinking about taking Yuna's path, but then again I am afraid that I will be far too weak to actually deal any decent damage.. which is worse than yuna because even yuna can summon.

Maybe if I could mix Yuna and rikku's paths. What would you suggest? How would I go about doing such a thing? Backtracking?

silent_ultima
05-01-2005, 03:31 PM
For my first time through (the original version), i took him down to rikku's path, the big kimahri being a thief? not a very good combination, ya?

As for my 2nd time through the game (with the International version, that is), i took him down Wakka's path. and i think i prefer him stick in wakka's path, then goes down to the other dude's grid.

rubah
05-01-2005, 09:07 PM
1) they may be playing the international version, which makes it very easy to change sphere grid paths:)

2) they take one person's sphere grid for a few SLVLs, then go immediately to another.
That would be how I made kimarhi a white mage. He has to go through rikku's grid, but right back from teh beginning, there's yuna's grid.

A summary of kimarhi's possibilities:

1) Straight up, a level 1 lock to the beginning of tidus' grid
1-a) Beginning of Auron's grid, take the level 2 lock right past Haste
2) Down right, a level 1 lock to Wakka's beginning
2-a) Middle of Lulu's grid at Demi, a level 2 lock at Silence Attack
3)Straight down, level 1 lock to the beginning of lulu's grid
3-a) End of Rikku's grid, at Bribe, a level 3 lock at Fira
4) Down left, a level 1 lock to Rikku's beginning
4-a) Middle of Yuna's grid, at Dispel, a level 2 lock at Use
4-b) End of Tidus' grid, at Quick Hit, level 3 lock back a ways from where you came in Yuna's grid, right around Shell
5) Top left, beginning of Yuna's grid, level 1 lock
5-a) middle of Tidus' grid, level 2 lock, at Delay Buster

The best path to take is Yuna's. You don't need to backtrack, and you won't be using kimarhi to do damage until you get Holy. There's more important things.

You'll want to do 4-a. Go into the beginning of Rikku's path, get Steal, and Use. Use a lvl 2 ks to get into Yuna's sphere at Dispel. This spell alone is worth taking this path. You may want to backtrack for Shell, Reflect, and Protect, but don't worry about Cura. (if you have a lvl3 ks you can get Quick Hit, but you won't be needing it, since you won't be hitting)

Kimarhi's role in your party should be a secondary thealer. That's what rikku is, and it's insanely useful.

You can steal double as much, getting tons of awesome items (make sure you get lots of light curtains fromt eh iron giants in the thunderplains, btw) You can use al bhed potions twice as often (1000+ hp and gets rid of the most common status ailments? awesome!).

And most important? You can get rid of Evrae's hastedness in that battle. You NEED that dispel, it'll just make it so much easier. Not only can he not attack as quickly, but he'll waste extra turns casting it back on himself. And since he's immune to slow[ga] this is the ONLY way to get rid of it.

If you're worried about a certain battle on mt. gagazet, don't. Even if you were worried, you ought to have Kimarhi learning Holy by then, so even if you don't win with blue magic, you have a spell that blasts at about 7000dmg :) (Since kimarhi jumps in yuna's grid a lot later than yuna does, he learns holy much sooner, and far before zanarkand)

And speaking of that place, you have two mages that can blast the boss of that place with the spell that does the most damage to it :)

Gwelenguchenkus
05-01-2005, 11:00 PM
I agree that kimahri would be extremely useful taking Yuna's path. That's what I'm going to try. Initially learning some of the basic abilities that rikku has would be very nice. Although a healing Kimahri does worry me a little bit on the offensive side when it comes to defeating those ronsos, and I'm not sure if I'll have Holy at that point or not... I'll still give it a try to see how it turns out.

rubah
05-01-2005, 11:27 PM
Dont' worry.

Even after you use him to steal about a million times, they go down easy with just the blue magic overdrives you should be learning.

Holy was just for backup:) And I played that battle a couple of times, seeing how much I could steal from them.

Sphere
05-01-2005, 11:29 PM
Well, I agree with the above posts, to choose Yuna's grid, yet it all depends on how you want your character to evolve, so inevitably, the ultimate decision will be for you to decide.

Now that that has been stated...

I don't see any reason to really take notice of the asinine Khimari, since he has no vital position as a fighter, except Mount Gagazet's battle, which is strangely unchallenging.

But, of course, this is my own oppinion ^_^ I never used Khimari... So my view will appear biased, but at least I displayed it :D

Blitzball Hooligan
05-02-2005, 01:53 PM
In my first playthrough I had him take Wakka's and then Auron's path and it was useful to have another bruiser on the team. In my current time through, I had him first take Rikku's, then I got tired of that and moved him to Wakkas. Even though it's nice at times to have two thiefs, I liked my original Kimahri a lot more.

Old Manus
05-02-2005, 02:36 PM
I always put him down Tidus' path. That way he can become much faster than he normally is, due to the large amount of speed nodes. He also learns useful things like Haste.

Kimahri is the most flexible person on your team. This makes him one of the best (with time).

Sasquatch
05-02-2005, 03:17 PM
I don't see any reason to really take notice of the asinine Khimari, since he has no vital position as a fighter, except Mount Gagazet's battle, which is strangely unchallenging.

Speak the truth, brother.

Khimari is slow and weak. When it takes extra work to simply make him as fast and/or strong as any other character (my Rikku is stronger than Khimari), there's a problem.

I took him down his path, then followed Lulu's for a while until I got her level 2 spells, then went back up to Tidus's path, I think, and I'll cross over to Auron's when I can so that wuss can get some strength. Tidus is on Auron's path now, for the strength, and Auron is on Tidus's path for the speed and spells.