PDA

View Full Version : On (going to) Movie Theaters ..

faster skating penguin
05-01-2005, 08:49 PM
Now a few weeks ago I went to see a film at the theater with two friends. Obviously we made comments on the film (as it sucked) made jokes about the previews, etc ... and a lot of people got pretty annoyed.

So I would just like to say: Movie theaters aren't for actually watching the movie. Why would you pay to see it once when you could buy the DVD, see it as much as you wanted, as only pay maybe 5 dollars more than you paid for the ticket.

Theaters are for fun, not for actually watching the film. That's just how I feel.

Discuss.

Kamiko
05-01-2005, 08:52 PM
I went to a theater to watch Napoleon Dynamite for the 4th time with my two best friends and we totally goofed off during the whole film. We danced on our chairs and ran screaming down the aisles... of course the sheriff eventually came in and told us to shut up or get out but it was worth it.

~yunie~
05-01-2005, 08:52 PM
I agree but sometimes watching a movie in the theater gives u a different feeling than just watching it at home; sometimes if I find the movie very interesting ì'll go see it in theater rather than wait till the dvd comes out. But yes, going to the movie theater is mostly for fun

RSL
05-01-2005, 08:57 PM
You guys need to be banned from theaters for life. Seriously. If all you want to do is screw around then save yourself 10 dollars and do it somewhere else. Those who want to see the movie didn't pay to be distracted by idiots.

Rye
05-01-2005, 08:58 PM
I was just at the movie theatre, I love it. Well, I'm a little mad at it right now as I was watching a movie, and halfway through, the fire alarm went off! So we were ushered out and a lot of fire trucks came and stuff. We got free tickets as we couldn't go back in. ;___;

faster skating penguin
05-01-2005, 09:00 PM
You guys need to be banned from theaters for life. Seriously. If all you want to do is screw around then save yourself 10 dollars and do it somewhere else. Those who want to see the movie didn't pay to be distracted by idiots.

Given the reputation of theaters they should have expected no less.

Leeza
05-01-2005, 09:06 PM
I totally agree. I go to the theatre to see the film on a big screen with super sound, which is something that I can't get at home watching a DVD, even with my home theatre.

The managers at our theatre are very good about kicking people like you out though.

Jess
05-01-2005, 09:15 PM
I totally agree. I go to the theatre to see the film on a big screen with super sound, which is something that I can't get at home watching a DVD, even with my home theatre.

The managers at our theatre are very good about kicking people like you out though.

I agree with both of you. Except our cinema sucks at kicking people out. :mad:

RSL
05-01-2005, 09:18 PM
The theater I go to usually seems to have a well behaved audience. It still makes me mad to see attitudes like the first two posters in this thread, though.

Jojee
05-01-2005, 09:18 PM
Movies don't come out on DVD until months after they come out in theatres, so if you really want to see something and don't want to wait, you go to theatres ^_~

faster skating penguin
05-01-2005, 09:19 PM
I used to go the theaters to watch the films, but a combination of rising costs, over priced (and awful) snack, morons who scream/cry at parts of movies that aren't scary/sad and the fact that films are just as good when being viewed on a regular TV, I only go once every 6 months, and just to screw around.

Usually I only screw around in crap movies, it they're good I'll actually watch ... but how long has it been since a really good film came out?

Rye
05-01-2005, 09:20 PM
Well, the people who are annoying in the theatre are usually those 20 little kids with their parents who don't know how to be quiet in sit in their seats, and you really can't kick those kids out. :/

amratis
05-01-2005, 09:24 PM

Sorry but I feel this way to, I hate it when ppl talk during movies and mess around .etc. But I'm quite a movie buff so *shrugs*

Old Manus
05-01-2005, 09:34 PM
http://www.stewartfilm.com/home_cinema_screens/todays-.jpg

Who needs theatres when you can just come over to my place?

faster skating penguin
05-01-2005, 09:38 PM
rich boy

Old Manus
05-01-2005, 09:44 PM
Thank you.

Leeza
05-01-2005, 10:25 PM
http://www.stewartfilm.com/home_cinema_screens/todays-.jpg

Who needs theatres when you can just come over to my place?
Haha. <a href="http://www.stewartfilm.com/home_cinema_screens/home_theater.html">Sure we can.</a> :)

Triple T
05-01-2005, 10:40 PM
Theaters are fun.

>_> Because it's the only place here that has DDR. =P~

Old Manus
05-01-2005, 10:42 PM
Haha. <a href="http://www.stewartfilm.com/home_cinema_screens/home_theater.html">Sure we can.</a> :)

No! Leeza! You foiled my plans!

Leeza
05-01-2005, 10:44 PM
If we all did come over to your place you'd just end up with a huge carpet cleaning bill. :)

MoonsEcho
05-01-2005, 10:45 PM

This is true. If you guys are so cool and all, you'd think you could find something better to do with your money, especially since you already complained about the high prices of tickets. Sheesh.

SadisticStreetSoldie
05-01-2005, 10:45 PM
Cinemas are for getting jiggy in, for playing Duck Duck Goose while the previews are running, for throwing nacho chips at the people in the front and for silently flirting with a fellow attractive audience member while the movie is playing...well for me anyways

Psychotic
05-01-2005, 10:46 PM
My movie theatre has NO staff whatsoever in the theater during movies, and it's not like it's a small theatre either. When I went to see Return of the King some little kid behind me kept asking his dad "WHO'S THAT????" and my favourite "He can run FAST!" in regards to Aragorn.

However, the lack of staff proved to be an advantage, as whilst they had gone to the "Male restroom!" I emptied my bucket of popcorn (It was sweet, I asked for salted and sweet makes me want to vomit so I was trying to think of what to do with it anyway) onto the kid's seat. When they came back they were extremely confused and moved to seats further away from me, so I didn't have to put up with his comments anymore.

I rock. :cool:

Nod
05-01-2005, 10:48 PM
WTF???

I go to the cinema to watch a movie on a big screen with great sound. i only go to see films which i know will be good on a big screen with good sound. the last film i saw was 'Constantine', it was v.good. If some stupid kid was being an idiot...............i would be mildly annoyed, and if they didnt stop i'd have words with them.

Apollo
05-01-2005, 10:56 PM
I don't know who to agree with. I guess I'm in the middle. If the movie sucks then I'll talk a little bit maybe and laugh and stuff. If the movie is good enough to keep my attention then I'll usually be quiet and watch the movie. So it depends on the movie. They're no people that go around checking the theaters during the movie so people can get away with pretty much everything. Which can suck sometimes or be a good thing sometimes, it depends on the situation. But I usually don't care if people fool around during a movie, I just ignore it. Which obviously some of you need to learn to do. :tongue:

Chaos
05-01-2005, 11:29 PM
When I go to the cinema I like to wach a film in the quiet. I don't appreciate kids, young or old running around, throwing popcorn, etc etc. It pisses me off.

If a film is bad, in my opinon, I will whisper to my friends. Quietly, as I know that althoiugh I may think the film rubbish, others might not.

Just running around and jumping over chairs strikes me as plain immature and stupid. If you want to jump over chairs, go jump over your sofa.

Chaos

Nod
05-02-2005, 12:05 AM
But I usually don't care if people fool around during a movie, I just ignore it. Which obviously some of you need to learn to do. :tongue:

Well, i guess you're a bigger person than I. I dont regularly go to the cinema, so when i do its because theres a film that i really want to see, and if kids are being stupid it can be quite annoying.
Ignoring things is all well and good, but if Ive paid money to see a film, i dont want to have to ignore little kids being irritating, i want to relax and enjoy the movie.

XxSephirothxX
05-02-2005, 12:09 AM
I used to go the theaters to watch the films, but a combination of rising costs, over priced (and awful) snack,
Well, that's why you buy your own food and sneak it in. Matinees are only like 5-6 dollars, anyway.

morons who scream/cry at parts of movies that aren't scary/sad
They're no worse than you purposefully making noise during a movie.

and the fact that films are just as good when being viewed on a regular TV
I don't see how you can compare the awesomeness of seeing a movie on a huge screen with surround sound to a TV, unless you have a home cinema, but then there is still the issue of waiting an extra 6 months or so for the DVD.

Miriel
05-02-2005, 12:10 AM
Theaters are for fun, not for actually watching the film. That's just how I feel.

Discuss.
The fun part about going to the theater is, you know, actually WATCHING THE FILM.

I hate people who goof of during the movie with complete disregard for the people who are actually trying to pay attention to the movie. I wouldn't hesitate to call the manager to kick your ass out of the theater if you pulled any of that crap while I was there.

Shoeberto
05-02-2005, 12:10 AM
If the previews look stupid (and they're scientifically engineered to be so,) I'll be loud and make fun of them. If I feel inclined to make comments to my friends during the movie, I try and whisper.

Seeing movies in a theater is a much nicer experience than at home. It feels more like you're there. I don't care to have people interrupt this.

boris no no
05-02-2005, 12:18 AM
i cannot stand people that talk and act like idiots during films. i don't have money to throw about so when i go, i see something i want to. nothing ruins a good film that a load of pubity stricken kids acting like fools.
even if the films rubbish i'll either leave or keep my mouth shut.
me and my friends have gotten staff to kick idiots out (it was during austin powers 3.....so funny xD)
it serves them right if they have nothing better to do then annoy people.
if you're bored go play on a moterway, much more fun for you and more peace for us.

Shlup
05-02-2005, 02:21 AM
If you talk during a movie, you are a prick. It's pretty cut and dry.

Calliope
05-02-2005, 02:27 AM
I am absolutely terrible when it comes to movies. I'm that idiot who laughs hysterically at things that aren't supposed to be funny. None of this running up the aisles with snifters and jaffas, though, that would just be messy and silly.

RSL
05-02-2005, 02:45 AM
But I usually don't care if people fool around during a movie, I just ignore it. Which obviously some of you need to learn to do. :tongue:

No, instead of me learning how to ignore it, those people need to learn to shut up.

Jojee
05-02-2005, 02:49 AM
No, instead of me learning how to ignore it, those people need to learn to shut up. *pokes RSL* I've never seen you this annoyed before o_0

PS where have you been? You're never around anywhere anymore >=o

Anyway, movie theatres,

I am absolutely terrible when it comes to movies. I'm that idiot who laughs hysterically at things that aren't supposed to be funny. None of this running up the aisles with snifters and jaffas, though, that would just be messy and silly. Me too *dies* xD I don't mean to but it's just funny.

Rose: oh Jack I'll never let go I'll never let go!! *pries him off and he sinks to bottom of ocean*
Everyone in theatre: *sniff*
Me: tehehehehee XD

Ko Ko
05-02-2005, 02:52 AM
I used to go to a nice theatre in Monkspath, but it's gone now. :skull4:

Yamaneko
05-02-2005, 05:52 AM
I don't go to the cinema because most movies suck.

Samuraid
05-02-2005, 06:43 AM
I don't often go to theaters...for the very reason that you can buy the movie on DVD and watch it as much as you want.

Raven Nox
05-02-2005, 07:58 AM
I've gone to the movies almost every other week for a really long time, years almost, and I've never had anyone running around and being fools. I do laugh at things other people don't, but they're funny things, it's just I find it funnier then they do. XDD I really try not to be loud, 'cause I hate it when people are overly loud, once or twice is fine, but f you keep on doing it, it's just annoying.

And actually what gave you the idea that movie theaters weren't for watching movies but to fool arouund? ... That sounds pretty stuipd to me really.

Meat Puppet
05-02-2005, 07:59 AM
I yawned and tried to put my arm around her, but then she stabbed me in the throat. Ow. :(

boris no no
05-02-2005, 08:23 AM
I yawned and tried to put my arm around her, but then she stabbed me in the throat. Ow. :(
and you deserved every stab xD
*kills*

Calliope
05-02-2005, 08:29 AM
Me too *dies* xD I don't mean to but it's just funny.

Rose: oh Jack I'll never let go I'll never let go!! *pries him off and he sinks to bottom of ocean*

I KNOW! AHAHAHA DID YOU SEE THE RANDOM PEOPLE FALLING OFF OF THE BOAT?

I feel as if I'm not alone anymore :D

Itsunari 2000
05-02-2005, 10:55 PM
Until the day comes when I install a surround-sound home entertainment facility in the privacy of my home , I'll enjoy going to the theatre like everyone else.

TheAbominatrix
05-03-2005, 01:16 PM
The only time I've ever been intentionally loud during a movie in the theatre is when I went to a late showing with my friends and we were the only ones in there. It's common courtesy to shut the hell up in the theatre, and I strongly dislike people who fail at this (excluding during the previews. We're meant to comment on previews). If I have something to say, I whisper it.

As for going to the movies, I rarely do because of the cost. But if I can get in for free or if I really want to see the film right away or support the movie I'll go to the theatre.

faster skating penguin
05-03-2005, 09:40 PM
I don't bloody throw stuff and run around. That's just too idiotic. Let me restate;

If a film is bad I will make sarcastic remarks, mostly quitely to my friends, sometimes (if a scene is really /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gife) i'll say it somewhat out loud. If it's a good film, I'll watch it. But I haven't seen a good film in theaters for quite some time ...

boris no no
05-03-2005, 10:10 PM
I don't bloody throw stuff and run around. That's just too idiotic. Let me restate;

If a film is bad I will make sarcastic remarks, mostly quitely to my friends, sometimes (if a scene is really /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gife) i'll say it somewhat out loud. If it's a good film, I'll watch it. But I haven't seen a good film in theaters for quite some time ...
but what if the film you think is rubbish is really good to someone else?
i know plenty of people that hate star wars but if i hear a sound in the cinema when thats on i will go mad.
its not up to you whether a film is good or bad.
in a cinema you sit and watch. if you have things to say, say it outside.

Pure Strife
05-03-2005, 10:18 PM
If you talk during a movie, you are a prick. It's pretty cut and dry.

Aye.

Calliope
05-04-2005, 03:49 AM
I got into trouble during class yesterday because we were watching a video on how divorce traumatises children, and apparently I was the only one who found it funny, even though it was HILARIOUS!

I'm struggling to keep myself composed even now!

faster skating penguin
05-04-2005, 09:13 PM

i know plenty of people that hate star wars but if i hear a sound in the cinema when thats on i will go mad.

I only films I've made comments in were Baby Geniuses and The Grudge. If anyone found those films good, well they deserve to get annoyed ...

boris no no
05-04-2005, 09:23 PM

I only films I've made comments in were Baby Geniuses and The Grudge. If anyone found those films good, well they deserve to get annoyed ...

:-/ i did like the grudge thanks alot. you cannot decide for other people what is a good film or not.
i love disney my dad hates it. does that give him the right to come in whenever i'm watching it and shout stupid things???
you are not a film critic. let other people decide for themselves

omnitarian
05-04-2005, 09:29 PM
There's no real reason to share your witticisms with the people around you. If you want to jab at an awful movie, whisper it into your friends' ears. People don't go to movie theaters to hear stand up comedy.

faster skating penguin
05-05-2005, 12:31 AM
Actually, my jabs at the Grudge were overall well recieved.

I mostly only whisper to my friends. It's the people who are sitting RIGHT NEXT TO US ALTHOUGH THERE ARE A HUNDRED EMPTY SEATS IN THE DAMN THEATER who get annoyed. Yet they still don't move somewhere they wouldn't hear us.

Super Christ
05-05-2005, 06:11 AM
I tend to make jabs at movies - when I'm watching them at home. In a theater, however, that's just plain rude. As well as anything else asinine.

On saturday when I went to see Hitchhiker's guide, there was a kid with a laser pointer being an ass. He cut it out when a very large man threw him bodily from the theater. I thought it was hilarious - too bad the guy didn't throw him out Al Bundy style and miss on the first throw.

Jebus
05-05-2005, 06:16 AM

Hahahaha. Only with me it was more:

*people fall off the boat*
Me: Wheeeeeeee!
Everybody except this one hot girl: >:o
That one hot girl: :D

That was fun.

However that wasn't actually in a theater, just a fun anecdote.

If I pay $10 to see a movie, then I'm going to see the damn movie. Anyone who talks/uses their phone/generally acts like an ass should be dragged into the street and shot. Repeatedly. I didn't pay that much to listen to you bastards talking to your friends about how you had sex with like eight people that one time, or to watch you throw *stuff* at the *freaking* screen. I hate people so much.

Excelsior
05-05-2005, 06:44 AM
Theaters are fun.

>_> Because it's the only place here that has DDR. =P~

story of my life.

Lionx
05-05-2005, 07:31 AM
I find movie theaters to be a waste of money. With the money spent over time, you can get your own movie on DVD or you can get a better theater at home over time. Its expensive and i would rather sit in multiple movies for my entire day if i could to justify the money i spent. If you think thats unethical thats up to you, but i do not feel its up to my money's worth otherwise. The only reason i would go is either a date, or with friends and we wanna hang out and have fun.

Ko Ko
05-05-2005, 08:53 AM
I don't go to theatres because I have no one to go with. :skull2:

Sasquatch
05-05-2005, 06:45 PM
Aww, I'll go with you Iri.

The only stupid thing I think I've done in a theater was in February of last year, a couple weeks before we left for Iraq, and a few of us went to see 50 First Dates (not a good movie for a group of soldiers, but hey, it had Drew Barrymore in it). At the beginning of the movie--while the production logo and all that was being shown, not during previews or anthing--a couple of us stood up and "tried" to get a date for a good friend of mine. We always made fun of this guy, so this was fun, and just added to it. But it didn't work, the only thing it did was get some Skittles thrown at us...except that somebody threw a whole bag of Skittles, instead of just one at a time like the others, I think they liked us.

As for disturbing movies, I might say a few low-volume remarks to somebody next to me, but talking loudly, or on a phone, or anything like that is just too immature. When I saw Kung Pow! in the theater, I sat in the back with a friend and I said some things about how stupid parts of it were, but I later watched it with my best friend and his family, and it was hilarious.

I've gotten up and said "things" to groups of kids that won't shut up and let me enjoy the movie, and they got the picture.

Jebus
05-05-2005, 06:48 PM
I don't go to theatres because I have no one to go with. :skull2:

That's no reason not to go. I go by myself all the time. I prefer it that way, cause I finally get some time to relax without someone going into my room without letting me know and interrupting my thoughts to tell me to take out my trash or something.

Erdrick Holmes
05-05-2005, 06:51 PM
I don't think I'm welcome at Move Theaters anymore. I have a nasty habit of MSTing every movie I see. (if you don't know what that means then you're a dweeb, PM me if you wanna learn about it.)