PDA

View Full Version : "Greatest Hits" do we really need 'em?

Chris
05-01-2005, 09:07 PM
Well?
Personally I own each and every recording by Grace Jones ever made, every single:
studio album; CD, LP, 12" and 7" singles and all of her "Greatest Hits" collections.
But really, aren't "Greatest Hits" generally aimed at people whose curious of the selected singer?

I usually pick 'em up anyway, most of the times they contain new tracks and remixes of old classics.

So what do you think of "Greatest Hits" collections?

Leeza
05-01-2005, 09:10 PM
I love Greatest Hits. No, it's not just because I'm curious. There's almost never a CD that I like straight through so I like having all of the best on one CD.
*still waiting for Radiohead's Greatest Hits CD :) *

Yamaneko
05-01-2005, 09:17 PM
I'm an album person. If there's just one or two songs I like on an album, I won't buy it. Greatest Hits are just a way to put more money into the executives hands'.

Leeza
05-01-2005, 09:26 PM
I agree with you, Yams. I also won't buy a CD if there are only one of two songs on it that I like...I'll just download those songs. But even though I have every Marylin Manson CD because I basically like everything he does, I still like to have a CD with just the greatest hits. I know I could burn my own, but when I like an artist I don't mind putting more money into their hands. I won't do for everyone though. Just the few that I really like.

Old Manus
05-01-2005, 09:31 PM
By the time the 'Greatest Hits' album comes out, I've usually lost interest.

Chris
05-01-2005, 09:36 PM
I agree with you, Yams. I also won't buy a CD if there are only one of two songs on it that I like...I'll just download those songs. But even though I have every Marylin Manson CD because I basically like everything he does, I still like to have a CD with just the greatest hits. I know I could burn my own, but when I like an artist I don't mind putting more money into their hands. I won't do for everyone though. Just the few that I really like.

I'm exactly the same when it comes to Grace Jones, I'm a completist and I don't mind putting a little money into a "Best of" collection.

By the way did you happen to pick up Marilyn Manson's "Greatest Hits" collection, it's awesome.

faster skating penguin
05-01-2005, 09:46 PM
Depends. Some bands/artists, they have several great albums, all of which I'd buy (Floyd, Beatles, Dylan, etc.). While some have a few great songs, but the albums don't hold up, in which case a Greatest Hits is grand.

Jojee
05-01-2005, 09:52 PM
I like Greatest Hits for the reason of curiosity and sampling ^_^

The Captain
05-01-2005, 09:55 PM
Some of the music I enjoy listening to, jazz and big band swing, is quite old and is only released as a greatest hits album, so in those cases, I really have no choice. Otherwise, I don't mind, so long as the music itself is worthwhile.

Take care all.

Leeza
05-01-2005, 10:17 PM
By the way did you happen to pick up Marilyn Manson's "Greatest Hits" collection, it's awesome.
Two of them actually. One that I ordered by accident as just a CD version without the bonus DVD when I ordered the (s)AINT video. So then I also had to buy the one with the bonus DVD as well.

"Satyricon"
05-02-2005, 12:01 AM
i know for sure that u wont find "best of metallica" or "best of ac/dc"

muchacho
05-02-2005, 12:11 AM
i know for sure that u wont find "best of metallica" or "best of ac/dc"

S&M..............

if i really like the band i wont buy the best of album. like i wont by best of led zeppelin. but for bands like "red hot chilli peppers" i will just cause i like some of their better songs, and i dont want to spend all the money for a CD were im only going to listen to 2 or 3 songs.

Meat Puppet
05-02-2005, 02:29 AM
If the best of nirvana album never came out, there wouldn't be half as much kids who know who nirvana was.

XxSephirothxX
05-02-2005, 02:38 AM
I think Greatest Hits CDs are good in some instances because the individual albums may be much harder to find. I have The Greatest Hits of the Verve Pipe, and I love it. I haven't actually seen any of their albums on sale anywhere, though.

Dingo Jellybean
05-02-2005, 03:58 AM
GH CDs are not that great for fans of the artist, but usually better suited for casual fans of the artist.

I'm getting The Cranberries: Stars, it's a GHA. They threw in 2 unreleased tracks too, so I guess that sucks for the fans of The Cranberries.

Personally though, I don't like GHs CDs. The only GH CD I have is from Outkast, and even then I planned to get all their albums anyways. Oh well. We know those CDs are there for money, but they shouldn't charge you the full album price because no real labor was put into these GH CDs.

Calliope
05-02-2005, 08:37 AM
Dear Beck and Jamairoquai,
Giz your greatest hit cd eyah don't be stally now!
From Ben.

Dear Blur,
You know I bought your Best Of cd just because it had a new song on it wait no I didn't buy it I won it off of the radio cos the guy asked for people to ring up and name three blur songs and I rang up and named ten and he had to tell me to be quiet or something ahahaha <3

Dear Travis,
I would buy your greatest hits cd because it has TWO new songs on it, but I'm hoping you'll put it on your next cd.

Dear SFA,
I don't know whether to buy your Songbook One, or hope that the music stores will start importing your stuff again. WOT SHOULD I DO?

Brian The Pink Shark
05-02-2005, 08:49 AM
i think greatest hits albums are a great idea, a lot of the bands i like have been around for many decades and have recorded many albums so i do have a lot of greatest hits albums, i like them because they can turn me on to other cds of the band which i eventually buy anyway. The only of my favorite bands for which i dont have a greatest hits album is Iron Maiden, i have 10 of their cds and just dont plan on buying their greatest hits at the time being as a lot of the songs i like from them are not on their greatest hits albums :)

:choc:

Skogs
05-02-2005, 11:30 AM
I'd never buy a greatest hits album if I own any of the band's previous albums, but I'd buy a greatest hits record to see if I like the band.

It really annoys me when some songs are only available on a gh album, and I usually refuse to buy it on principle.

jrgen
05-02-2005, 02:31 PM
I only buy "greatest hits" CDs if they contain atleast some new unreleased stuff.
The songs on "greatest hits" CDs are rarely the greatest hits.
I prefer buying the real albums.

eden knight
05-02-2005, 02:59 PM
I usually buy "greatest hits",so i can add them to my collection.

Dr.K
05-02-2005, 03:38 PM
I think they're handy if compiled well, but few things are more annoying when a greatest hits album is butchered by a money-hungry record company. I'm on the fence really.

Chris
05-02-2005, 03:53 PM
I hate it when they "edit" the songs just to make place for more -
I'd rather have fewer tracks in their original versions, instead of
20 edited mixes. I hate that.

Dingo Jellybean
05-02-2005, 10:20 PM
I want to note (and brag) that those who have an iPod and an FM Transmitter can create a playlist of the greatest hits of their artists. That's what I do, it's unbelievably convenient.

Brian The Pink Shark
05-03-2005, 07:45 PM
actually my favorite album at the moment is A slight case of overbombing by the sisters of mercy which is a greatest hits album so they do have some good qualities :choc:

Dingo Jellybean
05-09-2005, 04:18 AM
I just got my Another Night CD from Real McCoy the other day. I thought they made at least 5 albums, turns out they only had 2. Guess what? They had a greatest hits album after 2 albums. How screwed up is that? I thought Creed was pushing it after 3 albums, but damn...2 albums? I'll laugh the day a group releases a GH album after 1 album.

But you can't possibly create a GH album without any albums...can you? Judging from my surprises, I'm sure some idiot group will.