PDA

View Full Version : Ivalice question

My name is...something..?
05-01-2005, 10:13 PM
This may be unanswerable but I'll ask anyway.

I was just playing Vagrant Story and I was wondering this.

Do Vagrant Story, FF Tactics, FF Tactics Advance, and FF 12 all take place within the same world just at different times in history?

Destai
05-01-2005, 10:36 PM
Theres no official answer but theres a lot of similarities between Tactics Advance and XII like races etc.

BG-57
05-01-2005, 10:38 PM
I doubt it. Square just likes the recycle names of places, people (like Cid), items (like Pheonix Down), monsters (like Chocobos) and weapons (like Save the Queen).

There's no attempt that I can see to keep the continents and land masses consistent from game to game. I'll grant that continental drift could explain the land mass changes, but it would take thousands of years or some cataclysmic event.

BTW, I have my own unanswerable question: is the sword Ultima Weapon carries in FFVIII is the same Ultima Weapon that Cloud carries in FFVII?

Zifnab
05-01-2005, 10:42 PM
BTW, I have my own unanswerable question: is the sword Ultima Weapon carries in FFVIII is the same Ultima Weapon that Cloud carries in FFVII?
Considering the one Ultima is holding is about as big as an average person... I'd say yes.

05-01-2005, 10:43 PM
I asked because there are a lot of historical references about FF Tactics in Vagrant Story, so I thought they all might be connected.

BG-57
05-01-2005, 10:51 PM
I think the connections reflect the creators more than the creations.

Masamuneˇ1600
05-02-2005, 06:38 AM
While technically possible, there is little evidence to support any supposition that the Ivalices are the same. While there are remarkable similarities between FFTA and FFXII in terms of races, etc., FFTA in particular is completely disconnected from the other Ivalices. This is because, in the other cases, the entire game is based on a fantasy world, an alternate universe perhaps. In FFTA, one assumes, for the purposes of the game, that the characters live in the real world, and construct a tangible fantasy using their thoughts (particularly memories and desires) as the parameters. There is a theory that the 'Final Fantasy' referred to early in the game is actually FFXII, and that, having played that game, the characters constructed a world based on FFXII. If that is the case, then the Ivalice of FFXII is clearly distinct from that of FFTA.

In the other cases, there is nothing that necessarily contradicts a common Ivalice. However, there is no evidence in any of the games that supports such a theory that there is a direct link between FFT, FFXII, and Vagrant Story. It may be that FFXII contains evidence that there is a link, but until its release we have no way of knowing anything like that. Thus, based on current information, a shared though temporally distinct Ivalice is improbable.

05-02-2005, 08:16 AM
Thanks, masamune!! That helped out a lot!!

Raven Nox
05-02-2005, 08:26 AM
Ummm... I thought the creators said it was the same world, just really long after FFT... that's what I remember, but don't know where the interveiw is, sorry... I could try and find it, but not right now... maybe later.

The True seeD
05-02-2005, 10:16 PM
I don't really know if they are or not...this is interesting. I'm going to ask around on other sites and such and see what people think. :D

Masamuneˇ1600
05-02-2005, 10:28 PM
Ummm... I thought the creators said it was the same world, just really long after FFT... that's what I remember, but don't know where the interveiw is, sorry... I could try and find it, but not right now... maybe later.

It's possible, certainly. All I'm saying is that there's nothing in-game to suggest the connection.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
05-02-2005, 10:28 PM
In FFTA, one assumes, for the purposes of the game, that the characters live in the real world, and construct a tangible fantasy using their thoughts (particularly memories and desires) as the parameters. There is a theory that the 'Final Fantasy' referred to early in the game is actually FFXII, and that, having played that game, the characters constructed a world based on FFXII..It's suggested above all else that the "Final Fantasy" upon which Mewt bases his imaginary Ivalice is more or less the same game as FFTA.

http://norbert-x.com/rock/userfiles/Kishi/doned.png