PDA

View Full Version : Your most significant influence to listening music.

Dingo Jellybean
05-03-2005, 02:12 AM
This thread isn't about the artists themselves, but who influenced you to listen to the genre you do today?

Initially, when I was in middle school to high school, my friends influenced me to listen to rap. It has still stuck with me to this day. It was until a few years ago that my first gf influenced me to listen to rock/alternative. Before I would never have listened to rock/alternative, but since I wanted to get to know her better (like any mate would), I wanted to develop an interest in her music. Sadly she did not develop an interest in rap like I did.

Oh well, discuss.

Chris
05-03-2005, 12:17 PM
No one did.
It's really hard to say so; frankly I don't even have the slightest clue.

TheAbominatrix
05-03-2005, 12:58 PM
For most of it, my parents. I grew up listening to bands like The Beatles, The Doors, Led Zeppelin, and so on, and the love has always stuck. I have all my parent's old records, and I love pretty much everything they do. Or did. Their tastes have changed a bit, my mom still loves all that though.

For my love of punk... ya know Im really not sure. The Japanese music I love I got from watching anime; the opening and ending themes specifically. That got me to start downloading those particular songs, and then songs by those same artists, and then slowly branching out to all sorts of obscure Japanese (and now Korean and Chinese) artists.

Lindy
05-03-2005, 12:59 PM
I was influenced to listen to the music I do today, simply because it's good and I like it, random experimentation has always been helpful.

Dr.K
05-03-2005, 01:05 PM
My sisters introduced me to some of the bands I like today when I was young, and then people in school got me further into my genres of choice. My dad used to listen to country ALOT when I was young, and so while alot of people at my school see that genre as a joke, I've grown conditioned to like it.

Jack
05-03-2005, 02:33 PM
My Dad eclectism was passed unto me, because he was always listening to something different. My Mum isn't really a listerner, but lieks Meatloaf and Country Music, as well as 60's Rock & Roll. (All of which I love). My Grandad also likes female artist and thus probably explains my love for sensual women artists, and a preference for all songs women really.
I think the biggest influence on my music choice was the search for understanding, and happiness. I mean, I liked the media and I just needed to find music that made me happy. I find it, and that's probably still what drives my choices, whether they be rap or rock.

Rye
05-03-2005, 07:41 PM
Actually, being online, as it's helped me discover new bands. I've discovered a lot of bands through stupid people whining how Evanescence copied Lacuna Coil and Nightwish (I'm not even going to explain how wrong the statement is. Lets just say one came out in Finland, one in Italy, and one in freaking Arkansas.) I wanted to hear the similarities for myself, and I found there really weren't many. Nightwish is a real good band, Lacuna Coil is tolerable, nothing amazing, and Evanescence is still my favourite band. I guess people who think they're cool to say every band copies other bands from other countries that came out at different times can have their uses.

Martyr
05-03-2005, 07:46 PM
My friends took me to hard rock concerts in the early 21st century to get me out of listening to merely classic rock.

I used to listen to pop in the nineties, but that same genre single-handedly got me to quit listening to it. (Talk about self-destructive)
Most modern music generally sucks too much to bear, but after hearing SOTD live, for some reason, I began to enjoy rock a whole lot. I mean, not just SOTD, which still gets old... But whatever. That was it. I definately had to hear rock live before I could listen to it on the radio.

Brian The Pink Shark
05-03-2005, 08:06 PM
I was inspired to listen to metal by Sum 41 (shudder) but it was mainly because of the music channel Kerrang that got me into my favorite bands and also a lot of the music my dad listens to has had an impact on me :choc:

Shoeberto
05-03-2005, 08:43 PM
Interweb.

jrgen
05-03-2005, 09:33 PM
I was inspired to listen to metal by Sum 41
I really hope you are not saying that Sum 41 is metal.

Anyway, I got into the kinds of music I listen to mainly through various music forums.

Aurey
05-03-2005, 11:08 PM
Certain magazines and papers and certain forums and websites on the internets, and sometimes my mom or my brother will mention a band I might like, because they have almost the same taste in music as I do.

Ashi
05-04-2005, 12:21 PM
Actually, most bands I listen to nowadays were recommended to me by a friend who used to post here too. Nimrod / Raiden / Adam.

Sphere
05-04-2005, 03:18 PM
I attempt to be original and differentiate from the current 'craze'.

I heard 'run' - snow patrol, on TV, and immediately ordered their CD from Europe, as they do not have it here.

I was watching TRL, and I was introduced to 'Daughters' John Mayer.

fire_of_avalon
05-04-2005, 03:33 PM
Early stuff from my Dad and then just kind of wandering around the world of music until I found stuff I liked. I still do that.

Azure Chrysanthemum
05-04-2005, 04:58 PM
Initially the only music I heard was rap that my cousins always listened to. Thus, I wasn't too fond of music for a good part of my life. I'd always liked the music played in band class, and my father had a rather large classical collection so I started "borrowing" his stuff. Eventually I started my own collection, and have been hooked on Classical music ever since. My love of Jazz came from listening to the High School Jazz band perform.

Kirobaito
05-04-2005, 05:43 PM
My parents liked John Denver, so I finally decided to listen to him. The rest is history.

SadisticStreetSoldie
05-04-2005, 07:08 PM
My brother and WWE. When I was younger my brother would always steal the tv remote off me and switch on Kerrang and MTV2 and I used to watch wrestling when they used to choose decent songs to play as their pay-per-view soundtracks. And then my friend got me back into urban and now I have a ear for everything.

Brian The Pink Shark
05-04-2005, 10:17 PM
I was inspired to listen to metal by Sum 41
I really hope you are not saying that Sum 41 is metal.

Anyway, I got into the kinds of music I listen to mainly through various music forums.

im not saying Sum 41 is metal but its because of them that i got into metal, somehow :choc:

Strider
05-05-2005, 01:28 AM
My parents raised me right. Good ol' rock and roll.

The Captain
05-05-2005, 01:53 AM
"I think the biggest influence on my music choice was the search for understanding, and happiness."

That's such a wonderful statement Jack.

In the end, that's where my influence comes from as well. Music, to me, is a transforming and transcending experience, so I'm constantly searching and looking for something to continue the sublime power that great music can have on me, or on anyone quite frankly.

Take care all.