PDA

View Full Version : I changed my mind . . .

Mercen-X
05-03-2005, 05:52 AM
Final Fantasy VII: the Promised Land

Better graphics, revamped CGs, corrected script, optional voice-overs, FFX-2 style ATB combat, revamped mini-games, a couple more mini-games, a few more chocobo types, corrected monster names, a way to obtain E. Skills near the end of the game when monsters that use the would normally be gone, perhaps being able to control Sephiroth during Cloud's flashbacks, and COOKIES!!!

A PS2 or PS3 release for a remake or REVISION of FF7 is obviously out of the question for both the company and the fans . . . but what if it was ported to the PSP?

Would you play or buy FF7PL, the revision, if it were ported to the PSP?

Shadow_Wolf 6354
05-03-2005, 05:55 AM
no

:shoot:

Squall of SeeD
05-03-2005, 05:59 AM
It would still be a matter of basically making a whole new game, which they could as easily -- and probably would -- do. In this case, they'd not only be faced with the matter of people already having the game, but with many who aren't going to buy a PSP just to play the remake, especially when the PS original would still be $20 (American) cheaper.

Any way one slices it, a Final Fantasy VII remake is a not a viable financial option for Square-Enix.

I for one wouldn't buy the thing.

Perducci
05-03-2005, 04:30 PM
no

crazybayman
05-03-2005, 05:14 PM
I don't think I'd buy a PSP just for that one game..........especially not if it uses an atb battle system - aside from FFX-2 being total crap, the battle system alone had too much of an arcade feel. Not like FF at all.

Mercen-X
05-03-2005, 07:33 PM
Chicken . . . *burk!*

I admit I wouldn't buy a PSP simply for a new FF7 . . . but what if you had a better reason to buy a PSP? What if you already owned one?

Seraf
05-04-2005, 01:40 AM
I never want to see a remake of FFVII with better graphics, voice acting, etc. I wouldn't mind seeing a PORT to the PSP though.

DJZen
05-04-2005, 02:41 AM
All that is mentioned above could be but a mere suggestion and we could easily get Square to at least consider it.

We could? We must then have roughly 1 million dollars to spend freely, and I would personaly rather spend that on a way to make chocolate taste even better.

Buccura
05-04-2005, 03:23 AM
no

I second that.

BackRoomKid
05-04-2005, 03:36 AM
intersting....it would need A LOT of convicing to make it even rent it though...

The True seeD
05-05-2005, 12:27 AM
I wouldn't buy a new FF7 remake. Think about it, Character voices would ruin it, because YOU allready have an idea in your head of what the characters would sound like. A couple more mini-games!!!...um, I think the Gold Saucer has enough as it is. A few more chocobo types, and a way to obtain E. Skills near the end of the game would just make the game easier. I don't know about you, but I enjoy the challenge that FF7 gave me the first 5 times I played even, because there was always new things to find, and places to go. Even though I have found just about everything on FF7, I still play it through because IT'S A GRAET GAME! A remake could probably destroy the innovative features about FF7 that helped make it great. Personally I didn't like FFX2's ATB system, like crazybayman said, I felt like it had too much of an arcade game feel. My opion is leave the classics classic, sequels and spin offs are fine, but don't mess with what made the game great.

cal113
05-05-2005, 12:44 AM
eh im not too sure i agree with you guys - i intend to buy a psp simply due to the fact they are releasing ffiii on it - i honestly dont think porting ffvii onto it wud be the worst thing ever - i find the handheld machine a great place for rpg type games - i personally found it much easier to play ffi and ffii on the gba than on the ps - if they revamped it or simply just ported it im sure i would buy it

The True seeD
05-05-2005, 12:50 AM
I have nothing agianst PSPs, as a matter of fact, I'm getting one soon. I was simply saying that revamping FF7 would destroy a classic. If they ported it however, I'd be fine.

Masamune·1600
05-05-2005, 01:18 AM
i intend to buy a psp simply due to the fact they are releasing ffiii on it

Actually, FFIII is being released on the Nintendo DS. The PSP, however, will have Crisis Core-Final Fantasy VII.

...a way to obtain E. Skills near the end of the game when monsters that use the would normally be gone

a way to obtain E. Skills near the end of the game

Just so you guys know, there is only one Enemy Skill that is not available at the end of the game. Trine is used exclusively by Materia Keeper, Stilvas, and Godo. All others, however, can still be obtained.

Shadow Bahamut
05-05-2005, 12:38 PM
i wouldn't alter anything in FFVII, look how many people brought it because of the way it is...if you changed it, then you change the game completely. Although, i must admit, better graphics wouldn't go amiss, but anything else just isn't viable in any way.
All square would be doing is wasting their money...Each and every FF is supposed to be "original" or "unique", and they are...by producing a remake, then it's just not the same, people are simply not going to buy it.

Seto Fett
05-07-2005, 01:29 AM
If they made a remake of FFVII, I'd be more than willing to buy it. It deserves one in my opinon anyway. If you think it would destroy the classic or just be plain wrong, you have a simple option: don't buy it. I'd love to see updated graphics, even if they were as simple as FFVIII, I'd still get it. I wouldn't care as much for voice overs or such, but I'd appreciate the graphics. Besides, it seems Square IS making a remake, it just won't be out for awhile. That's good to know because there will be plenty of FF to look forward to in the meantime, like Dirge of Cerberus, FFXII, and of course, Advent Children.

Mercen-X
05-07-2005, 05:50 AM
Just so you guys know, there is only one Enemy Skill that is not available at the end of the game. Trine is used exclusively by Materia Keeper, Stilvas, and Godo. All others, however, can still be obtained.
If you wait until the end of the game before fighting Godo, when you have all the E.Skill materia, you can still learn Trine from him.
The Stilva is the only monster in the game that uses Magic Breath.

My dad agrees that a revamp of an old classic is wrong, but he's 40 and I'm from the Chaos Era which I made up a couple months ago. The Chaos Era isn't really a time period, it's more of a state-of-mind. Personally, in consideration of their track record, I think that the Japanese at least would buy the revamp of FF7. If they had no other reason than that to make it, I think they still would.

If you're going to stand in line to boycott FF7PL then I guess I'll just make it for myself. If I don't sell it to anyone, Square can't sue me. hehehe.

ThroneofDravaris
05-07-2005, 06:19 AM
An idea for the game.

The Promised land should have many large religious sects all fighting over ownership of it, eventually leading to massive wars.

...he

Masamune·1600
05-07-2005, 07:00 AM
If you wait until the end of the game before fighting Godo, when you have all the E.Skill materia, you can still learn Trine from him.
The Stilva is the only monster in the game that uses Magic Breath.

It's true that one can wait until the second disc to fight Godo, but if one does not wait until Disc 2, the player forfeits the opportunity to add Trine to all four E. Skill materia. This is the only Enemy Skill that's possible to permanently miss, whether applied to one or all four materia.

Stilva is not the only enemy in the game with Magic Breath. The Parasite, also the source of L5 Death, also has Magic Breath. Parasites, needless to say, are located at the Northern Crater, and are thus accessible for the rest of the game.

Mercen-X
05-07-2005, 03:59 PM
I didn't know that about the Parasite, they've never used Magic Breath on me.

Ageless_Bum
05-10-2005, 07:08 PM
Im not syaing its a good idea to remake the game. Afer all the old saying is that if it isnt broke dont fix it. Also, its beyond arguement that they made a masterpeice of a game the first time around. That being said:

I could still see good sales possibly being made if they played off of the fan mentalities that kept so many wasting hours of their lives trying every last rumor of a secret in the game. Mind you this is all in the realm of "what if" so:

If they put ways to alter the storyline with getting aeris back or truelly being able to get Zack. Since im going on a limb maybe even getting a seph clone or something (these were some of the most outlandsih rumors i heard). I believe that would sell very well. Look at skies of arcadia, they rereleased it on nintendo and it had some mild success, but It was only mild succes hardly worth it you say? You have to temper that with the fact that comparitavely it only had mild success on its first release. If nothing else the massive fan base out there that still wont accept that the above mentioned "secrets" are not in the game would be massive (Sad isnt it). Aslo, dont cut out the original storyline just add more (or sceondary endings),and dont add voices, but do update graphics.

Once again as a final disclaimer, Im not suggesting this. I think it is a masterpeice of a game as is. I just make these points to say they could very feasably make a profit off of it

Mercen-X
05-11-2005, 07:13 AM
EDIT
Final Fantasy VII: the Promised Land

Better graphics, revamped CGs, corrected script, optional voice-overs, optioned ATB combat (including FFX-2 style), revamped mini-games, a few more chocobo types (because having four when you saw so many more in the races sucked), perhaps being able to control Sephiroth during Cloud's flashbacks.

A PS2 or PS3 release or a port to the PSP

The True seeD
05-11-2005, 09:47 PM
There is DEFINETLY no doubt that if Square remade FF7, people would buy it. The only problem would be, could Square pull off the masterpiece of a game again, without ruining it when revamping it? That's a big reason why I wouldn't probavly buy it. If Square wreaked FF7...I'd...actully, I'm not sure what I'd do.... :D

Ageless_Bum
05-11-2005, 09:53 PM
I dont think it would be possible. Maybe its just one person's opinion, but if they changed anything it would just detract

Mercen-X
05-11-2005, 10:17 PM
So you only have faith in Square when it comes to NEW games. Your trust disappears when the subject of OLD games comes up.

I believe that Square is possibly the best RPG maker in the world, and despite a few stragglers who dislike the old games in preference of the new or those who hate the new games because they're devout fans of the oldschool (and probably love Mario just as much), I love all of the FFs.
Granted, the newer games make me wish the older game were a little more 21st century but those were different games in some sense.
It's my belief that attempting superdeformed polygons in FF7 was Square's way of keeping the characters as spritey cute as possible to ease the old gamers into a new style. Just look at the concept artwork of Biggs, Wedge, and Jessie that has been floating around these threads.
In my opinion, it didn't work out like that. If there are going to be tiny characters, then they should carry through the entire game, instead of having cinemas and battles with "full-sized" characters. Which is what I believe they were trying to compensate for when they made FF9.
I don't think that FF7's graphics should be revamped to the extreme to make it surpass its predecessors . . . that would make it weird. I just think it could look better, the story could be TOLD better and not have so many typos and mistranslations.
I think that anyone who didn't like the arcade feel of FFX-2 are just a bunch of old fogies. You've got to admit it has ALWAYS been stupid to watch your characters just sit there and take the hit while you're waiting for your gauge to fill. The battles seem so slow that way. Actually, instead of FFX-2, I prefer more, Star Ocean: TTEOT.

I would buy FF7PL, of course, I'm the one proposing it.
I would still play FF7 as well, I never throw my games away. I still own my atari and my genesis and all of the games I owned for them and I still own an original PlayStation. I also own an N64, but I hadn't ever bought any games for it. I still own my nintendo games, but I can't play them because my dad got mad one day when I didn't do my homework and he smashed the system. The funny thing is, it was a piece of crap that hardly ever played the games anymore and it was HIS system, not mine.

XxSephirothxX
05-11-2005, 11:13 PM
Can't you just be happy with what you have? I'd rather they concentrate on coming up with original titles. That are better.

Ageless_Bum
05-12-2005, 01:17 PM
I dont necesarily trust people in general. Square Enix isnt speacial in that respect ...

For me the issue is what would happen if the stroyline was changed due to an update/remake. Though some may not feel it is whole or perfect, It is unquestionably one of the best. All parts to it work well together. The charaters are inthralling. The scenario is captivating. Could you rewrite other masterful pieces like Hamlet or Beowolf and not take away form the original work?
(Mind you my choices of good literature are opinion, you may or may not like them)

I dont doubt that they could make an excellent remake visually and acoustically, but my trust would end there. Lets just label it as a Ill believe it when I see it type of thing. I honestly believe that they have people in the company who have the ablility to surpass what was accomplished in VII in both aesthetics and story (This being in either remake of old or making of new). I also however will not feign ignorance to the fact that their must conversly be people in the company who make decisions based on what nets the greatest finacial gain. This more than anything is the greatest opponent of good games (rpg or otherwise). So end the end my opinion (low as it is) is based on the fact that I have seen more of the later type of people making the final decisions.

Mercen-X
05-12-2005, 10:18 PM
Well, then I'LL make the game. You can trust me. I'd make the game purely for my own enjoyment. If I found out it was good enough for other fans to enjoy, I would gladly hand it over to Square as I wouldn't be able to distribute it myself.

I never said anything about changing the story. I just think that all the typos and mistranslations and certain hang-ups made some parts difficult to understand.

DJZen
05-13-2005, 05:45 AM
I believe that Square is possibly the best RPG maker in the world... Actually, instead of FFX-2, I prefer more, Star Ocean: TTEOT.

I just wanted to point out that the Star Ocean was Enix's series before it was Square-Enix's, and its style of gameplay can be found in Star Ocean: The 2nd Story as well as the Tales of series.

I don't doubt that you mean well here, but you have to admit, it doesn't seem to be a very popular idea. On the one hand, you've got the old-school heads (such as myself) who seem to feel that FFVII needs to be put to rest. On the other, you have the "it was perfect already, a remake would ruin it" crowd. Granted, deciding on the direction of a game is ALWAYS a catch 22 (if you release it, people will complain. If you don't, people will while about how much they want it.) but remaking FFVII seems frought with peril. Like a lose-lose-lose-lose-lose-lose-lose situation.