PDA

View Full Version : It may be controversial...

ZeZipster
05-03-2005, 11:13 PM
But I need to ask a very personal question of you all. You don't have to answer, I understand if you don't want to. It's a very touchy subject, many have debated long hard hours about, and even some wars fought. All-in-all, it needs to be asked... Megadeth or Metallica?

crashNUMBERS
05-03-2005, 11:24 PM
Neither...

Dr.K
05-03-2005, 11:27 PM
I like them both, but Mustaine's vocals are...well...pant-wettingly hilarious IMO, although he is a brilliant player. 'Tallica it is.

ZeZipster
05-03-2005, 11:28 PM
Neither...
Slayer?

Shlup
05-03-2005, 11:39 PM
Sonata Arcada

kikimm
05-03-2005, 11:43 PM
Metallica, by far. I hate Megadeth, for more than one reason, but those don't need to be listed. So yeah, go Metallica.

:D

Martyr
05-04-2005, 03:25 AM
Metallica

Excelsior
05-04-2005, 04:41 AM
screw both those bands. pantera, down, and superjoint ritual all the way.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
05-04-2005, 05:53 AM
Milkquake

black orb
05-04-2005, 07:53 AM
>>> Sepultura

jrgen
05-04-2005, 02:37 PM
80s Metallica.

fire_of_avalon
05-04-2005, 03:34 PM
wtf, you guys are totally not following the rules of this game.

I pick Megadeth cause I love Metallica, but Dave Mustaine has sexy hair.

Perducci
05-04-2005, 06:00 PM
I don't like either of the bands.
Pantera > Both

Pure Strife
05-04-2005, 07:38 PM
Now there's a question. I mean, how do you merit each band? Musical ability? Style? Overall sound? Technicality? Do you compare members? Can you with all the Megadeth line-up changes? It's a question Einstein would have jumped off a cliff before answering. I'll compare them as of 90/91, with the Black Album and Rust In Peace the latest additions to their respective catalogues.

Metallica are easily the more well-known band, and despite having a very mainstream sound nowadays were some of the original purveryors of heavy thrash metal, influencing pratically every rock band to this day. They even forayed intro prog for their fourth full length, ....And Justice For All. Hammett is/was an astounding guitarist, giving his solos a much more melodic, emotional sound than those generally found in Megadeth, though he gave it all the speed it needed when the song called for it. Hetfield's riffs were more often than not outright classics because they appealed so well to the listener, and were damn fun to play along to. Burton is, to this day, one of the most well-known bassists out there, inspiring hundreds of young players. There overall sound was very fast and heavy at first, the music being the center of the songs, and the vocals complimenting them perfectly, though Hetfield had trouble with some notes. Master Of Puppets is often cited as the best metal album ever, though I'm not sure if I'd agree.

Megadeth stuck more to their roots, and never achieved the kind of success Metallica got in the mainstream, peaking with a number 2 album. However, they also were a great influence to the young metalheads of today, generally those who bothered to look outside the mainstream of music. Mustaine wanted to play speed metal, and by God he did, with the band's sound changing to fit a more mainstream audience further down the line, but always retaining more of their roots than Metallica did. Mustaine's solos were generally shred-pieces that blew the listener away, and though they weren't really up there with the Satriani's of the day they sure as hell got the message across. Friedman's solos, on the other hand, were shred masterpieces, sprinkled with all manner of different styles and techniques, putting him easily on a level with the greats of the day. The rythm riffs were always catchy, and the lyrics focused more on the issues of the day, something Metallica only really did on ...And Justice For All. Again, the music was at the forefront and the lyrics tended to compliment, but I feel they're better placed in with the music here, though I prefer Hetfield's voice. Rust In Peace, though not quite as popular as Master Of Puppets, is well up there, if not slightly better than it's Metallica counterpart. I saw them live too a couple months back :love:

In closing, personally I prefer Megadeth slightly, because it was more of a nonense heavy metal band, and Metallica's progression into other genres (which I did enjoy listening too, shockingly enough) isn't quite as appealing to me. I'd say they were equally good bands from a subjective standpoint, because where one is technical, one has more feeling, and where one has a better singer, the other has a better lyricist. Much love to both bands, and props to ZeZipster for making a kickass thread.

Zifnab
05-04-2005, 09:06 PM
Not really a fan of either, but I find Megadeth unlistenable. Metallica has a couple of songs I enjoy, such as <i>Whiskey in the Jar</i> and <i>Nothing else Matters</i>.

Brian The Pink Shark
05-04-2005, 10:21 PM
OMFG i just had this conversation with two of my friends today, anyway im not a fan of either of them but Megadeth's music is a lot better than Mettlica's and a lot of the songs i like by Mettalica were written by Dave Mustaine so really they are greater :choc:

Luc
05-05-2005, 02:43 AM
Not really a fan of either, but I find Megadeth unlistenable. Metallica has a couple of songs I enjoy, such as <i>Whiskey in the Jar</i> and <i>Nothing else Matters</i>.