PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a good book club to join...

LionHart
05-04-2005, 03:41 AM
Well, just wondering if any of you guys knew of one. I'm looking for older books such as "Treasure Island" by Robert Louis Stevenson, and also his novel, "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde". I am also looking for "The Sea Wolf" by Jack London. I have found a few good book clubs, but they do not have some of these older books. The only one I have been able to find is "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde". These are not the only books I would like to buy. I'm attempting to start a collection of my own. Recently I have become quite attached to reading. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks much.

Calliope
05-04-2005, 03:44 AM
I hear Oprah has a book club xD

Ask around at your library?

Caspian
05-04-2005, 03:46 AM
http://www.amazon.com would be a good place to start.

Martyr
05-04-2005, 03:47 AM
What? Don't you have a bookstore in your city?

LionHart
05-04-2005, 03:50 AM
Nope, no bookstore here. I live in a very small town. I'm actually looking for one of those places with the order now, pay later kind of billing system.

Martyr
05-04-2005, 05:09 AM
Credit card on ebay or, as has been said, Amazon, will work just fine.

Shlup
05-04-2005, 05:14 AM
I'm actually looking for one of those places with the order now, pay later kind of billing system.
If you can't afford a book, you may want to worry more about finding a job than a book club. -_-;

Hawkeye
05-04-2005, 06:55 AM
EDIT...

Try a library...

Rainecloud
05-04-2005, 07:20 AM
Although it sounds sarcastic, a Library would be a really good place to start.

Go knock yourself out.

Devourment
05-04-2005, 09:16 AM
Well, pehaps a library would help... perhaps a 9/10 chance that you would find the books there.

I bet you ask for petrol at a furniture store...

LionHart
05-05-2005, 03:19 AM
Good lord, people...I'm not some kind of freakin' idiot. I know I can look in a library. I want to purchase these good books. I have read them already, and because they were good, I just want my own personal copy. The whole "pay later" thing is just because my parents do not believe in putting out credit card numbers over the internet...I can afford the books. Anyway, I just thought someone might be a member of a good one. Thanks for the advice.

Ism
05-05-2005, 10:37 AM
Mabye, you should go to a bookstore and wait until someone comes out with the book, follow them to their car. Then hide in it, wait until they get home then while they are asleep take the book run home. If your parents ask where you got it form say "Inheritance...er...Internet....er...I inherited the internet."

*stole clippert from little kid show called *Fairly Odd Parents**

Strider
05-05-2005, 08:46 PM
http://www.bookcrossing.com/

My mom uses this site to get books and send then onwards to anyone else that wants it when she's done. It's like a neverending cycle of books, floating from one owner to another!

Del Murder
05-06-2005, 02:30 AM
You don't need a club. Just Google for a list of classic novels. I recommend Steinbeck and Dickens.

Yamaneko
05-06-2005, 02:55 AM
I recommend Chekhov and Tolstoy.