PDA

View Full Version : That's so "Camp" WTF?

Chris
05-04-2005, 12:25 PM
What does that mean?
"Om my god that album is so CAMP" what does it mean?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
05-04-2005, 12:30 PM
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=camp

Similar to "corny."

Chris
05-04-2005, 12:33 PM
An affectation or appreciation of manners and tastes commonly thought to be artificial, vulgar, or banal.

People always say that I'm SO CAMP! :(

Resha
05-04-2005, 12:35 PM
I like camp. Y'know, camp is so fun and messy and mucky! :<3:

Chris
05-04-2005, 12:38 PM
Roasted chestnuts and marshmallows :love:

Loony BoB
05-04-2005, 01:10 PM
This definition from urbandictionary said it best.

"Effeminate way of being gay. One can be camp without being gay. Floppy wrists. Think Elton John and Jack from Will & Grace."

Triple T
05-04-2005, 01:21 PM

"Effeminate way of being gay. One can be camp without being gay. Floppy wrists. Think Elton John and Jack from Will & Grace."

People are calling Chris gay? :O~

Kawaii Ryűkishi
05-04-2005, 01:34 PM
Well, he does have a thing for that Grace Jones guy.

Meat Puppet
05-04-2005, 02:19 PM
camp twins are so camp

Ko Ko
05-04-2005, 02:31 PM
That's camp.

Yamaneko
05-04-2005, 03:02 PM
I hate campers.

Chris
05-04-2005, 03:11 PM
Well, he does have a thing for that Grace Jones guy.
That's a woman mind you. :mad:

Old Manus
05-04-2005, 03:55 PM
Camp = Charles Brockett.

Devourment
05-04-2005, 03:59 PM
Well, I'm going to go camping. Ba-dum-tish

Camp = Elton John & Graham Norton playing in flowers.

Dr.K
05-04-2005, 04:41 PM
The definition from urbandictionary is the one I've always recognised. It doesn't necessarily need to be taken as an insult by the way, but alot of people do take it that way. Depends on the context I guess.

ShivaBlizzard8
05-04-2005, 06:04 PM
I always thought the expression was "That's so campy." *shrugs*

Devourment
05-04-2005, 06:31 PM
I always thought the expression was "That's so campy." *shrugs*It could be, but you'd have to do the hand gesture whilst you say so, plus it would probably be, "sooooooo", if you get me. :p

louby_4eva
05-04-2005, 07:52 PM
I've never heard anyone say that's so camp before. I've heard that's so gay though, which I suppose is kind of along the same lines.

Smile and Be happy :love:

Shlup
05-04-2005, 08:08 PM
A lot of old TV shows people now call "campy." Like the old Jonny Quest cartoon, how there's two adult men raising two boys and they all wear short shorts. So camp.

boris no no
05-04-2005, 08:19 PM

arn't they both gay?? i'm lost......
in engalnd we say thats so gay
no offence to gay people.
very nice people :love:

faster skating penguin
05-04-2005, 08:52 PM
This is the campest thread I've ever seen.

Clouded Sky
05-04-2005, 10:16 PM
or would that be "campiest"? or "campyest"? or "most campy"?

Old Manus
05-04-2005, 10:20 PM
I always thought of 'camp' as a different word for 'posh'. that is one way it is used.

Chris
05-04-2005, 10:26 PM
or would that be "campiest"? or "campyest"? or "most campy"?

You're absolutely right, it's: "Campiest".
Good point. :D

sephiroth JR
05-04-2005, 10:27 PM
no my drama teacher is camp.for example with some gay people you can tell their gay by the way they talk or by their body language,well camp people come across as gay without actually being it.

ShivaBlizzard8
05-04-2005, 10:30 PM
Campy is NOT at all synonamous with "gay," as in the ill-begotten expression, "That's so gay!" which is usually said to describe something that is either 1) homosexual or 2) dumb.

Rather, campy is something that's overly sentimental, cliché and often old-school. For example, those 1950s films that taught you about good hygine and the like would be considered campy.

On a slightly different note, getting into the habit of saying, "that's so gay!" to describe dumb things is a REALLY bad idea. My entire high school said it in relation to anything we thought was silly, and it became a phrase that rolled easily off the tounge - including when I got to college, when it got me into a number of seriously embarrassing situations when said unwittingly in certain company. I had to train myself out of it, and it was hard. Best not to start.

Dignified Pauper
05-04-2005, 10:32 PM
Urban Dictionary . com states that...

1. camp
something considered amusing not because of its originality but because of its unoriginality. According to Susan Sontag, "The essence of Camp is its love of the unnatural: of artifice and exaggeration. And Camp is esoteric -- something of a private code, a badge of identity even, among small urban cliques." (Notes on Camp)

Campy movies: Attack of the 50-foot Woman, Plan 9 From Outer Space, The Tingler, Barbarella

Other examples: Baltimore, The National Enquirer, fake fur, Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass, Tiki, and polyester plaids

"I love disco precisely why everyone else seems to dislike it: disco is just so darn campy."

2. camp
Effeminate way of being Gay. One can be camp without being gay. Floppy wrists. Think Elton John and Jack from Will & Grace.
'He's camper than a row of tents'
'Cher is a camp icon'

3. camp
1.) In Multiplayer games, the act of remaining in one spot (usually secluded) with a sniper rifle or other area waiting for enemy players to emerge as easy targets. Generally looked upon as a "cheap" method of gaining kills.

uber1337: I'm going to camp their spawns.

Manawski: Not if I team-kill you first.

4. camp
camp
v.
1. To remain in one place; often sitting or waiting or doing something repeatedly.
2. To log out/off of some online fantasy role playing games. (camp out)
Bob camped the area for experience. Bob camped the NPC for a specific item. Bob camped in the corner waiting to snipe enemies.

It was late so Bob had to camp.

5. camp
As Defined by John Schmor, PhD: Camp is Failed Seriousness. To the extremes on both sides usually defines certain aspects of camp. It is not ONLY in relation to Gay Sensibilities, but it plays a heavy part in what camp is recognized as. Mind you, not only Gays can create camp nor are they the only ones who recognize it, it is merely an easy way for Gay sensibilites to be defined because we must hide ourselves from society to the length that we can only bring out those innermost feelings in a "campy" scenario.
Camp is cross dressing in a Freudian slip. Camp is Laughing at The Importance of Being Earnest and not knowing why. Camp is laughing at the Importance of Being Earnest and knowing why.

6. camp
v. to chill or hang out in one spot such as a street corner, someone's house, etc.
Person 1: Yo, we ain't got nothing to do
Person 2: It's cool, let's just camp at my front porch right quick

7. Camp
A type of coffee mix if you add two spoonfulls along with some cold milk you have yourself a nice refreshing glass of iced camp
How i love a nice glass of camp either hot or cold its great i prefer it hot tho mmmmm....hot camp

8. Camp
For someone to stay over at another persons place.
Bill: I can't go out tonight because it takes almost an hour to get home.
Ted: You can camp at mine if you want?
Bill: Cool, then lets get legless and boogy!

9. camp
Some /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gifty movie involving teens at a summer drama camp confused about their sexual preference. Not a good representation of homosexuals through their behavior and that fact that the cast is pretty much ass-ugly all the way through.
Camp was, well... campy.

10. camp
An term that n00bs made up as an excuse for getting 0wned.

-Strategic waiting in online games
N00b: "OMG I got killed by a camper therefor Its his fault that I died!"

There you have it, another mystery solved by yours truly, and the help of UrbanDictionary dot com

Apollo
05-04-2005, 10:34 PM
I always thought it had something to do with tents and campfires. Oh and those really catchy camp songs too. ;)

Chris
05-04-2005, 10:55 PM
People say that it's SO CAMP that I love Grace Jones, now I truly understand what they mean.

Destai
05-04-2005, 11:17 PM
:confused: What does ROFL stand for :(

Skogs
05-05-2005, 12:37 AM
I've know gay people who aren't at all camp. And I also know some straight people who are as camp as they come. But there are an awful lot of gay camp people.

disapointedchild
05-05-2005, 12:56 AM
Hm, I always hated camp, now I am not sure if i can say that without offending someone who is "camp."

That is if we are officially saying camp=gay.

Quina
05-05-2005, 06:07 AM
Does anyone remember that old Nickelodeon show, Salute Your Shorts? I think it has something to do with that.

Devourment
05-05-2005, 09:05 AM
This is the campest thread I've ever seen.It is now.*does hand gesture*

oww my gastric bypass!
05-06-2005, 03:55 AM
Im confused! Im going on our school camp at the end of the year but I didnt know it was for gay people! I've already payed the money!