PDA

View Full Version : Doom Series and movie

fuuijinmon zell
05-05-2005, 12:00 AM
Anyone played every doom game in the series? I did, i grew up playing doom. I still play Doom2 to this day. Not to mention doom3 and the expansion.

And a lttle comment on the Doom movie... it will suck and discrace the game. It has almost nothing to do with the actual Doom Plot. First of all, There are no Demons, just people mutated by a super virus (at least the mutated scientist are supposed to look like Doom3 demons). Second, it does not take place on mars, but on earth. Third, there are no Marines, just Swat guys. This movie shouldn't even be called Doom. Any other opinions?

Meat Puppet
05-05-2005, 01:28 AM
doom plays best as 2.5D
imo

Vyk
05-05-2005, 01:57 AM
I refuse to even look at Doom3. It's quake all over again. DOOM didn't have aiming. And there was never any bitching about flashlights. Everything was straight forward. Even in the dark. There was a formula they had mastered right up to DOOM 64. Quake wavered from it. And now DOOM itself has. The series has been dead to me for a while. Making a movie to mock it and dance on its grave doesn't really bother me. The Rock's movies haven't been too horrible so far. So I doubt it'll be utterly rancid. Perhaps merely mediocre.

Wasn't the whole Mars thing just for the first DOOM? He went back to Earth and found the same things there. Then had to go into hell itself. Lather rinse repeat, much fun the whole way. Not sure what 3's story was though... maybe that's the Mars one? *Doesn't honestly care anymore* At least I have my D64 ^_^ In my opinion, DOOM in its prime.

Meat Puppet
05-05-2005, 02:13 AM
Vyk just said what I've been trying to say for centuries.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
05-05-2005, 02:19 AM
Doom went from Phobos to Deimos to Hell, Doom II: Hell on Earth went from Earth back into Hell, and as I understand it Doom 3's story is the same as that of the first game. Ultimate Doom also had a couple additional chapters about some base on or near Jupiter or something. I don't know. I only ever played Doom and Doom II. Great games.

Excelsior
05-05-2005, 06:05 AM
doom 3 has to be, in my opinion, one of the worst games ever. "this gme is teh uber realistic cuz joo cnt c and teh lihgt is not thur!11!!" good god, i dont know why people think this game is so "cool". its not cool, its frickin retarded. o wow, they made the game pitch black so its impossible to see jack crap and u have to use your flashlight. thats soooooo realistic and awesome. :rolleyes2

nik0tine
05-05-2005, 10:44 AM
I pirated Doom3 and hated it. It was nothing like Doom. What happened to the cheesy rock music? Where did the actual action go? Doom has regressed in so many ways. The origional Dooms are still fun though.

As for the movie, I haven't heard of it, but it sounds like it's going to suck as bad, if not worse, than the Resident Evil movies.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
05-05-2005, 11:21 AM
Was anyone else watching The Daily Show the night Jon Stewart had The Rock on to talk about Be Cool, and Jon got all excited and happy when they started to talk about the Doom movie? I really hope the movie is decent just for poor Jon's sake.

Dreddz
05-05-2005, 05:22 PM
All of the Doom games are great
The movie im worried about
Talking about movies
What ever happened to the Alone In The Dark movie and House Of The Dead Movie ???

Erdrick Holmes
05-05-2005, 05:35 PM
Doom is probably my 3rd favourite franchies of all time.

I'd also like to point out how many ways this movie will suck

1. It stars The Rock. Such a crappy actor, the only actor worse then him is Jean Clade Van Damme

2. No hell, no mars, no UAC. Just a virus breaking out on a science facility on some planet that turns people into monsters.

3. My theory on the good game=bad movie/bad game=good movie kicks in. If the game is good then the movie will suck, if the game is crap then the movie will be good. Take for example, Street Fighter, greatest gaming series ever made, the movie sucked due to bad plot and bad acting. Double Dragon, awesome game series, but the movie was a joke. Mortal Kombat, crappy game, but awesome movie.

Laguna
05-05-2005, 05:41 PM
I personally think the doom movie is going to suck. Its a serious waste of a license, a bit like resident evil....

Anyway, I do think doom 3 is a good game, sure its not traditional doom but its still a fun fps.

Erdrick Holmes
05-05-2005, 05:59 PM
Doom 3 was one of the best games I ever played. The scare factor is pretty good but it's like a hottub, you get used to it and it won't bother you. The only qualm I had with Doom 3 was the flashlight issue. You're in a dark room so you put away your gun and grab your flashlight, look adound then you find a monster, so you gotta put away your flashlight and grab a gun and shoot at it in the dark.

Laguna
05-05-2005, 06:03 PM
Thats pretty accurate actually- the scares wear out pretty fast. First few levels I used to panic every time an imp jumped through a door... now its pretty predictable. Doesnt stop me from playing though. I thought the flashlight wasnt too bad, at least on the xbox you had a button that changed to the light asap and then if you pressed it again it went back to your previously equipped weapon. So it didnt bother me too much.

Ko Ko
05-05-2005, 06:06 PM
:skull5:

Dreddz
05-05-2005, 08:06 PM
Doom 3 was good but FPS arent good on PC's to me
Its pretty scary at times though

Shoeberto
05-05-2005, 08:44 PM
I like all of the Dooms.

wuglendei
05-08-2005, 04:30 AM
never played the game heard it was good but sorry never played it

But this..."movie" will be yet another disgrace of us gamers. We will yet again go to the theatres praying for a decent game flick ~resident evil, tomb raider~ and be let down by /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gifty acting and horrible well...everything...

BOYCOT THE MOVIE ~SPELLING~

We WONT let this MOVIE take the name of doom to shame! ALONE IN THE DARK IS THE NEXT GAME FLICK BEFORE DOOM! WE MUST STOP THEM BOST FUSDHHSDK;G WHOS WIITTHH MEE!?

Meat Puppet
05-08-2005, 04:52 AM
I read a novel about Doom once. There was supposed to be a sequel but I think nobody brought the first one.

Vyk
05-08-2005, 05:33 AM
Well, I dunno if this helps, but I just read an article with an interview with an Id member who said they're making the movie company follow a lot of DOOM "rules" whatever those are supposed to be.

DOOM 3's lead designer Tim Willits: "We helped interoduce the game to the writer. There are some Doom rules that Universal had to follow, so we've been very happy with that. Plus, the production staff is top-notch. ... Stan Winston studios is handling effects for the Doom film, and they are the group that did Aliens and the original Star Wars, so..."

I doubt that really helps much, but it's something. At least Id will be satisfied with the film. Though that really doesn't help me, since I don't agree with Id anymore. I miss the real DOOMs. They should do a re-make and just enhance the graphics and leave everything else alone.