PDA

View Full Version : Cinco de Mayo

Strider
05-05-2005, 06:41 AM
I made this announcement last year, but I thought I might do it again for those of you who either forgot or weren't here.

CINCO DE MAYO IS NOT MEXICAN INDEPENDENCE DAY.

And it's actually a bigger holiday here in the United States than it is in Mexico. Go figure. As if we needed an excuse to crack open Coronas, anyway.

Carry on.

Strider
05-05-2005, 06:49 AM
Well, I don't, really. But I felt obligated to mention it because I'm half-Mexican. :D

Meat Puppet
05-05-2005, 07:08 AM
This vital information will help me out next time I raid France. Thanks!

Caspian
05-05-2005, 02:32 PM
Happy Mexican Independence Day!

Chris
05-05-2005, 02:39 PM
For some reason they celebrate it right here where I live.
It's a LONG way from Mehico.

theundeadhero
05-05-2005, 03:10 PM
So you have to move to mexico to get away from Mexican holidays?

omnitarian
05-05-2005, 03:50 PM
I love America. We have not one, but two holidays where excessive drinking and partying is disguised as cultural unity.

The problem is, St. Patty's day and Cinco de Mayo are so close together. :(

Chris
05-05-2005, 03:57 PM
So you have to move to mexico to get away from Mexican holidays?
Basically. :greenie:

Old Manus
05-05-2005, 04:05 PM
Cinco De Mayo spelt backwards is Oyam Ed Ocnic. This means nothing.

Samuraid
05-05-2005, 10:08 PM
September 16th is the actual day, isn't it?

Denmark
05-05-2005, 10:19 PM
I've heard Corona tastes like urine. I've never tested this theory, and quite frankly, I don't think I want to. xD

Shlup
05-05-2005, 10:20 PM
I live too close to Mexico to not know that. :p

Happy 5th of May! :D

rubah
05-06-2005, 01:03 AM
Happy fiesta day for people in spanish class, and free food day for people who have lots of friends in spanish class!

Hawkeye
05-06-2005, 01:13 AM
CINCO DE MAYO IS NOT MEXICAN INDEPENDENCE DAY.

hmm, my mexican spanish teacher says otherwise

anyways, happy cinco de mayo

muchacho
05-06-2005, 01:47 AM
I've heard Corona tastes like urine. I've never tested this theory, and quite frankly, I don't think I want to. xD

it doesnt taste like urine, but it is a /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gifty beer. i think maybe later tonight i might have to drink a corona just for the sake of "cinco de mayo"...... am i turning in to an alcoholic?

p.s i dont know what urine tastes like

Del Murder
05-06-2005, 02:44 AM
I thought Mexico had two independence days. One from the Spanish, and one from the French, the latter of which is Cino De Mayo. What's the real scoop?

Samuraid
05-06-2005, 02:50 AM
Short history lesson:
http://www.mexonline.com/cinco.htm

Sasquatch
05-06-2005, 03:57 AM
I've heard Corona tastes good if you put lime in it. I've never tried it, though, and I don't really like any beer.

I thought Cinco De Mayo was a celebration of some type of battle victory in their war for independence?

*looks at site* Oh yeah. Guess so.

Strider
05-06-2005, 07:23 AM
On May 5, 1856, a cobbled-together regiment of Mexican troops beat back a slew of French soldiers in a little town called Puebla, despite being outmanned, outgunned, everything. It was good for the country's morale, even though they ended up getting occupied in the long run.

Yeah.

Shlup
05-06-2005, 07:30 AM
So basically it's just an excuse to get drunk? Sounds good to me.

I don't like Corona's though.

Resha
05-06-2005, 10:58 AM
de Mayonnaise? Yummie. :tongue:

boris no no
05-06-2005, 11:40 AM
happy taco day.

Sasquatch
05-06-2005, 11:57 PM
So the French got their asses kicked by a bunch of less-qualified Mexicans? Sounds like the French to me.

For some reason, I thought it was the 8th today. Even though I knew it was the 5th yesterday.

Nod
05-07-2005, 12:07 AM
Vamos a hacer una fiesta!!!
Yo quiero que yo beba muchas cervezas! Yo pienso que Corona es una buena cerveza, entonces, me voy a beber todas de las. :D
Gracias. :D
:p

Jojee
05-07-2005, 12:08 AM
I'm so tired. First thing I thought when I saw the thread title was Mayo = sandwhich spread and this is a thread about mayo... even though I saw the thread yesterday already xD

Anyway we always celebrated it in HS when I took Spanish. I think I had Coronas once - or whatever it was, it wasn't nearly as bad as Miller Lite, ewugh.

Martyr
05-07-2005, 12:37 AM
Most beer is pretty bad. I only drink hard liquor if I want to get drunk quick, otherwise I say, "screw it."

On the other hand, the Cubans here, who have nothing at all to do with Mexico or Mexican culture, are some of the most impressive and outstanding supporters and celebraters (wd?) of Cinco de Mayo.

They make a lot of noise, litter, and clog up traffic and honk their horns all along Cuban-Town, which I often traverse because I live in a crappy neighborhood because I need to spend my money on DSL instead of fancy houses.
It's a pretty lousy holiday if you're not both stupid and hispanic. You can be hispanic or stupid individually and still find it lousy, in fact.

Bleah, I'm glad it's over. I gotta go down to the slums this weekend and pick up all their crap though. Ugh... Freaking half full bottles of beer piled up to my knees... Some of them don't have beer, you know- It's another, slightly more biological substance that you excrete after consuming too much beer... I can't wait.

Cruise Control
05-07-2005, 03:32 AM
I find it funny that people think that Cinco de Mayo is Mexican independence day.
When in reality it's just the fifth of May. On that day, the mexicans won a battle against France, and it was such a big deal because the French was so superior at that time.