PDA

View Full Version : Removing a Dell vertical mounted HD.

Shoeberto
05-06-2005, 02:10 AM
My cousin's mobo completely fried not long ago. We gave them an old computer of ours, but they've got some medical stuff on the hard drive in their old one. I told them I'd have no problem popping it out and putting it in the loaner, but the problem is it's an old Dell with a front-mounted HD vertically.

There are no visible screws holding it in. I'm guessing it went in through the front of the case, but I can't figure out a way to get the front panel off without taking the other side panel off, and I can't get the side panel off without breaking it. I've researched it on google and can't find jack. Any recommendations?

I can supply pictures if it helps any.

edit: It's a Dimension L433c.

Samuraid
05-06-2005, 02:43 AM
It took me 30 minutes to figure out how to undo one of those worthless cases. (and clean out the mounds of dust due to poor airflow) There are 4 large scews that are accessible from from of the case (as you suspected) that screw into the bottom of the HDD.

You must first remove the left side panel (the easy one, when facing the case frontward it's on the left).
Next, right inside the front panel on the left, there should be little tabs at the top and bottom and you can push, allowing you to swing the front plate open and off. The 4 large screws should be accessable.

Warning: The screws hold both the hard drive and the plastic cage in place as far as I remember. Also, I am giving these instructions from memory, as the case is currently back at my parents' house sitting the garage. I apologize if the instructions are inaccurate.

Dell's cases suck. At least the newer ones are a bit better. :p