PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy Spells

Super Christ
05-06-2005, 09:29 AM
So I'm trying to make a d20 version of the White Mage and Black Mage classes, and for that I have had to compile a list of spells for each. Basically, I'm just wondering if I've left any important ones out that I've forgotten.

White Mage:
Level 1: Cure, Scan, Sleep, Silence
Level 2: Haste, Slow, Blind, Esuna, Protect, Shell
Level 3: Cura, NulBlaze, NulFrost, NulShock, NulTide, NulWind
Level 4: Life, Berserk, Zombie, Dispel, Confuse, Float
Level 5: Curaga, Regen, Full-Life, Reflect, Berserk
Level 6: Stop, Hastega, Slowga
Level 7: Auto-Life, Holy, Zombie

Black Mage:
Level 1: Fire, Blizzard, Thunder, Water, Aero
Level 2: Bio, Drain, Osmose
Level 3: Fira, Blizzara, Thundara, Watera, Aera
Level 4: Demi, Break, Death
Level 5: Firaga, Blizzaga, Thundaga, Waterga, Aeroga
Level 6: Flare, Flash Freeze, Luminaire, Tidal Wave, Tornado
Level 7: Ultima, Meteor, Quake, Gravija

In the BM list I included Flare and Luminaire from Chrono Trigger - the rest of the Level 6 BM spells are so that there's an ultimate spell for each element. Better names for the rest of the ultimate elemental spells would be good, if anyone can suggest any. (Not likely to change Tidal Wave to Tsunami, though, as I'm also working on a Summoner class for d20, and Tsunami is, of course, the name of Leviathan's attack.)

Kawaii Ryűkishi
05-06-2005, 09:42 AM
Looks good to me, although it's strange that a White Mage would have a zombifying spell.

starlet
05-06-2005, 03:19 PM
What about Doomsday for the blackmage? its from FFIX :D

Fireblade13
05-06-2005, 08:34 PM
some type of overdrive would be nice.

DJZen
05-06-2005, 10:12 PM
It's also odd that you're calling Flare a CT spell since it originated in FFI. My only advice is to consider Time/Space magic in a separate category. Just for the heck of it.

Necronopticous
05-06-2005, 10:14 PM
Looks good but.. NO NUKE? I'm flabbergasted.

DJZen
05-06-2005, 10:17 PM
Flare IS Nuke! :P

Old Manus
05-06-2005, 10:56 PM
TOTAL ANNIHILATION

Super Christ
05-07-2005, 12:01 AM
While Flare *is* originally from FFI, I seem to recall that it is usually some non-elemental damage spell in Final Fantasy, whereas the Flare from Chrono Trigger is specifically fire damage, which is the effect I'm going for. I could be wrong, though.

Probably won't put the time/space magic in a different category, since it helps round out the white mage's spell list - as it is, both classes already have tiny spell lists as compared to pretty much every other d20 casting classes save for the Warlock. When I start working on balancing them at the WotC boards, that's actually one of several things I'll be using as a balancing factor since I'm going to make these spells pretty powerful, as well as unavailable to traditional casters.

I'll stick in Doomsday once I figure out how exactly I want the spell to function, given that a class feature I'm giving Black Mages allows them to prevent damage to a few allies caught in the area of effect of the spell - probably involving some sort of unavoidable backlash damage.

Unless anyone has any good suggestions on how to do Overdrives/Limit Breaks in a D&D/d20 Modern game, rules concerning those are not likely to happen. I've tried thinking of ways to do them, but nothing practical has ever come up.

And finally, I gave Zombie to the White Mage because in games where the party can actually cause zombie, from what I could see there is no precedent for specifying it as either White magic or Black magic - it was just there. So I gave it to the White Mage since they've got all the rest of the status magic.

Anyway, thanks for the input, I figured this would be the best place to post this thread since it's a Final Fantasy board, people would be more likely to post spells that I've missed.

Martyr
05-07-2005, 12:52 AM
Level 6 black is bizarre. I don't recall 4th level spells, so you might plug in strong miscellaneous spells in there, or in the level 5 slot and save the "agas" for lv. 6.

I would do it differently, but I'm not going to try and revise your little thing.
It looks fine for anybody's purposes, outside of my first comment, which may be somewhat irrelevant. But your BM does seem a lot like an emelental caster instead of a BM. I mean, out of 7 levels, 4 are for pure elemental spells. You don't even have a mass kill spell, like Bane or ZAP! or, the only one outside of FF1 I can think of is X-Zone, if you're more familiar with that.

DJZen
05-07-2005, 01:28 AM
Well, begging your pardon, Super Christ, but the spell lists you have might be short, but if you looked through the whole series, you'd have far longer lists.

Also, Flare in FFI was fire elemental.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
05-07-2005, 02:02 AM
It's usually non-elemental.

rubah
05-07-2005, 05:14 AM
I'd make ultima white magic, like in ff2j:d

overturn a decade and a half of it otherwise.

Azure Chrysanthemum
05-07-2005, 08:38 AM
I don't see Merton anywhere.

Why aren't there 9 spell levels? If you're making two caster classes who can't get all the way to the 9th spell level and (judging by Black and White mages from most games) have a low attack bonus, what's to prevent players from simply running a standard Wizard or Cleric? Unless this is an FF based campaign, in which case you'll have to tailor EVERYTHING to account for the fact that you don't have the 8th and 9th level of spells, which are a really important part of a caster's repetoire at the higher level.

Dreddz
05-07-2005, 11:20 AM
Apocalipse should be in there

Super Christ
05-07-2005, 05:47 PM
As far as comparing them to normal Wizards and Clerics, I'm going to stagger out the levels they get the spell levels at - rather than every odd level for 9 levels of spells, it'll be every third level (so level 1, 4, 7, 10, ect) until level 19. I'm expecting that the draw of the class will be partly the flavor (I'm disallowing Wizards/Sorcerers/Clerics from learning these spells), partly the flexibility in casting as they'll work using MP rather than the Wizard and Cleric's stupid memorization system or the Sorcerer's spell slots, and mostly for power - the idea is that the Black Mage gives up all flexiblity in spell options to be a better blaster than either the Wizard or Sorcerer, and the White Mage gives up the Cleric's improved attack bonus, ability to cast while armored, and flexibility in spell options to be a much better healer than any cleric. For example, and I admit I haven't begun working on balancing the classes yet, the lowest cleric spell heals 1d8 hp, +1 per caster level. I'm looking at making Cure heal 1d6 per caster level, plus the White Mage's Int bonus. It's possible (but unlikely) the White Mage will be worse at healing at first level - but will always start blowing the Cleric away at 2nd level. I'm also thinking to make save DCs improve - with the save DC for any of their spells being 10 + 1/2 the character's caster level + Int bonus.

Anyway, the main reason I went with 7 spell levels is because when spread over 9 levels, the spell lists seemed really thin. That could very well change as I go over this thread. But, you seem to know what you're talking about with d20 - if you've ever written up any FF classes for the game, I'd love to see them. Oh yeah, and it is a heavy Final Fantasy themed campaign (because I suck at coming up with names, I'm calling it Final Fantasy XIII), and what did Merton do again? I seem to remember it was a lot like Meteo, but I can't quite remember and could be way off base.

I suppose I could throw in Mini by making it work like Reduce/Enlarge Person. Frog would be a good one to throw in, if I can figure out how I want it to work (polymorph doesn't seem to be quite the right spell I want to mimic, since Frog'd characters can still fight to some small extent). I'll fill out the White Mage list with some more status healing magic and push back the level they get Esuna at - that oughta help fill things out. I'm thinking I want to include the Harm spells from FF1 - what would be a good lengthening of Dia (the FFOrigins name, of course)?

Martyr
05-08-2005, 05:13 AM
Harm... Dia...

I'm trying to think of all the dispel undead spell names I've heard...

Its this really cool word.

Wrack, I think it is.

But "Dispell" is always common for undoing the undead en mas, and then "Holy" spells are the most common for that name, even though it's a White Magic offensive spell in FF.