PDA

View Full Version : about Griever

Tigerheart
05-06-2005, 05:48 PM
needless to say, i'm not asking for advice. a lot of ppl say that Griever is a lion. well, he's a lion and a tiger to me. yeah, i see the mane, but, notice the red stripes? he's obviously both and that's not hard to argue for.

Ultima Shadow
05-06-2005, 07:11 PM
He's a bird. He have wings and therefore he's a bird. :elk:

Yuffie514
05-06-2005, 07:35 PM
he's a griffon without the eagle head!

Mercen-X
05-06-2005, 07:36 PM
Chimera . . . gigantic guardian force Chimera.

Vyk
05-06-2005, 07:38 PM
Why the heck do you get to name it? My first time through I thought that meant it was gonna be a Summon. But pootie...

Rinoa_Galatea
05-06-2005, 07:56 PM
Well. I think Griever is a Great Lion. I think the wings can describe his bad side (XD well the only time you face him is when you go with Ultimecia). Have you ever noted that Squall said sometime that the one in his ring & necklace was a Lion? Named Griever of course. So I still think Griever is a Lion, not a Chimera or anything like that but a Lion. Greetings! XD
(Excuse my bad english I'm mexican XD)

Sepho
05-06-2005, 09:14 PM
He's a bird. He have wings and therefore he's a bird. :elk:

Bats and mosquitos have wings.

Anyways, a 'chimera' could desribe a combination of any two or more creatures, so Griever definitely fits the bill. I'd say he definitely has the head of a Lion. Squall's ring was modelled after a lion, and the song that plays during one of the Griever fights is titled 'Maybe I'm a Lion'.

Nod
05-06-2005, 11:53 PM
I think he's a magical lion-like creature! :D

Delta
05-07-2005, 12:00 AM
I think when you name him you name him in the last boss.
Therefore name him dumbass and he will be called dumbass during the final boss.

Just a thoery

Laguna
05-07-2005, 12:34 AM
You're right, if you change griever's name it does affect what he is called in the last fight (suffice to say my friend has come up with some pretty crude stuff). Anyway, that aside, I think griever is partially a lion and partially something linked to Rinoa (maybe Squall's love for her?) That would explain the feathered wings- I mean Rinoa has one on her back...

rubah
05-07-2005, 03:09 AM
You name him because he's the legendary GF.

Whether you get to use him or not is irrelevant. You name every other GF in the game, so why not this one?

BG-57
05-07-2005, 04:09 AM
Well, other than Tiamat, the poster child for when GFs go bad.

rubah
05-07-2005, 04:52 AM
obviously his 'former gf' status exempts him.

BG-57
05-07-2005, 04:27 PM
That makes me wonder why Griever is still a GF. They both are controlled by Ultimecia. The difference seems to be Tiamat is not junctioned and Griever is. And there are plenty of unjunctioned GFs the party encounters, like Ifrit, Diablos, Brothers, Doomtrain and Bahamut. Could it be that Tiamat somehow has become unjunctionable?

kaoz
05-07-2005, 10:34 PM
You're right, if you change griever's name it does affect what he is called in the last fight (suffice to say my friend has come up with some pretty crude stuff). Anyway, that aside, I think griever is partially a lion and partially something linked to Rinoa (maybe Squall's love for her?) That would explain the feathered wings- I mean Rinoa has one on her back...

I thought about that too!!!! :D
This theory does fit. :cool:

Kamrusepas
05-08-2005, 09:57 AM
Hyne, it bugs me that the GF Griever looks nothing like the necklace.

Rinoa_Galatea
05-08-2005, 05:55 PM
Ultimecia can create GF of simple objects, you should take in count that! XD

anima977
05-09-2005, 02:57 PM
whats all this about tiamat being a GF? I couldnt find him when i played through the game and i only had a crappy skill left to unlock so i didnt bother to fight him.
can someone tell me the story about him cos i dont know it.
xxx

BG-57
05-11-2005, 12:19 AM
The in-game information on Tiamat is limited to the description you get when you use Scan on him:

"Used to be a GF. Became a monster under Ultimecia's power. Its Dark Flare destroys all enemies."

There was a discussion a while back on whether Tiamat was a future version of Bahamut, since they have the same character designs (with different colors). It's unlikely since Tiamat and Bahamut have traditionally been separate characters in other FFs.

Mercen-X
05-11-2005, 12:35 AM
I thought Bahamut ZERO from FF7 looked curiously like Tiamat.

Ultima Shadow
05-11-2005, 07:48 PM
Bats and mosquitos have wings.

By saying that, you officially ruined my life! :( Don't ask why... you just did! :)

Oh, well... he's a mammoth since he don't have a hat. :cool:

Mercen-X
05-12-2005, 01:50 AM
A hat?

DMKA
05-12-2005, 03:34 AM
I'm not sure what exactly Griever is, but what I do know is that....

I'd hit it.

Kawaii Ryûkishi
05-12-2005, 04:04 AM
Squall LIONheart

The sword LIONheart

Maybe I'm a LION

Gosh I wonder what Griever is!

DocFrance
05-12-2005, 04:58 AM
Maybe I'm a Liger.

Xaven
05-12-2005, 05:12 AM
Or a Tigon...

Heh. I believe that Greiver is a lion for several of the reasons listed above.

Kamrusepas
05-12-2005, 06:08 AM
But why didn't they make the GF resemble a lion at least a little bit?

nik0tine
05-12-2005, 08:18 AM
Griever is not a lion or a tiger. He's an acid trip.

Shadow_Wolf 6354
05-12-2005, 08:27 AM
hear,hear

:shoot:

Luthien
05-23-2005, 02:27 PM
That makes me wonder why Griever is still a GF. They both are controlled by Ultimecia. The difference seems to be Tiamat is not junctioned and Griever is. And there are plenty of unjunctioned GFs the party encounters, like Ifrit, Diablos, Brothers, Doomtrain and Bahamut. Could it be that Tiamat somehow has become unjunctionable?

I think Griever just exist in Squall´s mind, I mean, he made it up. So, what ´bout the battle with Griever? Well, as long as Ultimecia is a Sorceress, she has the ability to read (and control, right, Rinoa?) people´s minds, so she could have drawn the "idea" of Griever from Squall and give it life.

BG-57
05-24-2005, 12:29 AM
Interesting idea.

Would that mean that the other GFs are creations of pure will, or is Griever a special case?

Squall of SeeD
05-24-2005, 02:51 AM

I think Griever just exist in Squall´s mind, I mean, he made it up. So, what ´bout the battle with Griever? Well, as long as Ultimecia is a Sorceress, she has the ability to read (and control, right, Rinoa?) people´s minds, so she could have drawn the "idea" of Griever from Squall and give it life.

No doubt she could, as she could also reach into their minds and remove Spells that they had learned.

Laugh at face of Danger
05-25-2005, 07:19 PM
whats all this about tiamat being a GF? I couldnt find him when i played through the game and i only had a crappy skill left to unlock so i didnt bother to fight him.

Although this has no relevance to the Greiver theory...climb to the top of the tower with all those steps and there should be a swinging bell, time your jump correctly and then you'll find you've jumped to the other side which was previously blocked off by a patch of the planks missing. Go out onto the little platform outside and Tiamat should be there...though you probably really don't bother about it.

And about the Greiver thing: I could have sworn that in the game it goes on saying something about Squall having the "heart of a lion", his finishing move is Lionheart... so through process of elimination, i think that its a Devil's Lion: a lion with wings, dark fur, stripes, spikes and an attitude

Ravenmorghane
05-26-2005, 04:11 PM
The evidence seriously suggests that griever is a lion, but it would be seriously boring if it looked like a normal lion right? Hence the wings and tiger- like features. the idea of the connection to Rinoa was quite interesting, it makes sense.

Griever00
06-23-2005, 07:17 PM
all this talk about what Griever really is, is well kinda overkill. no offense, he's a monster or whatever you want to call him created by Squall. Hello, he's not really an animal for that matter, just a symbol (with animal features). he looks really cool though...

Slade
06-24-2005, 12:55 AM
Hell, Griever dosnt even know what he is! Hence the song title: "Maybe im a Lion".............hes a confused individual.....heh :D

But seriously, it dosnt really matter what he is. Hes most probably a lion because of all the lion references. If you wanna ask that question about a GF then why not ask Pandemona what the hec he is. (My theory is that hes a random fusion of a Parrot (head hair), an Elephant (feet and legs), a fish (webbed hands), a Spider (butt) and a purple vacum cleaner (colour and face....creepy) :D

Masamune·1600
06-24-2005, 05:43 AM
The game strongly suggests Griever is a lion, even beyond the examples given so far. On Disc 2, when Rinoa questions Squall about the "monster" on his ring, Squall specifically notes that Griever is a lion, as opposed to a monster.

Rinoa: You know something, I couldn't afford to fall off that cliff and
die. I have something very important that belongs to you. I can't die
until I give it back to you, right? Zell gave it to me, see? I've been
holding onto it.

Squall: (I'm gonna kill him...) That's my favorite ring. You'd better
give it back.

Rinoa: I'm sure it is. It's a cool-looking ring. What's this monster on
it anyway?

Squall: It's not a monster. It's a lion. Lions are known for their
great strength and pride.

Rinoa: Hmm...great strength...pride... ...Kinda like you, Squall.

Squall: I wish...

Rinoa: Hmm...so this L I O N of yours, does it have a name?

Squall: Of course. Griever.

Griever is drawn from Squall's mind, so the parameters for the GF are based on Squall's perception of the being. Squall believes Griever to be a lion, so Griever is a lion.

Rini
06-24-2005, 08:55 AM
The first time I played the game I named him Simba.

You could imagine my angst when I found out I had to kill him ;_;

Devourment
06-24-2005, 02:48 PM
I agree with Kishi.

I mean, it's not that hard to decipher what Griever is. He has gave you the necessary information there.. Come on now people, you'll be asking what a Cactuar is next.

*Awaits someone to ask what a Cactuar is*

Griever00
06-24-2005, 11:55 PM
Ok...references state him to be a lion, but I'll just say he's whatever you want him to be, he was after all created out of Squall's imagination.

Mitch
06-25-2005, 12:37 AM
Griever is a very angry person.