PDA

View Full Version : PS2 DVD Problems

MecaKane
05-07-2005, 05:16 PM
When I watch DVDs on my PS2 sometimes they start to mess up and make these clicking noises and then if they try to load something up, like a menu or another layer the clicking noises get really fast and it doesn't seem to work. And after this happens game disks won't be read for awhile either, maybe forever this time, I hope not. I don't know if it's like the other things that happen to people, because I don't get disk read errors, and it probably will start working again if I wait a little while. But is there any way to fix this, so I can watch DVDs again?

Erdrick Holmes
05-07-2005, 05:31 PM
How often do you play DVD movies on the PS2? Because if you do that alot then this usually happens. Also, is the PS2 AV cables connected to the AV ports on a VCR?

edit: I don't think this is a problem that can be fixed, you may have to get a new PS2

MecaKane
05-07-2005, 05:39 PM
Hardly ever, and putting it into a VCR just makes the quality bad.

Erdrick Holmes
05-07-2005, 06:08 PM
Sounds like your lens may be dirty. Get one of those lens cleaning discs.

Fate Fatale
05-07-2005, 06:21 PM
Well, what kind of PS2 is it? slimline or no?

MecaKane
05-07-2005, 06:38 PM
Standard old one, I got it christmas 2002. SCPH 39001. Its started giving disk read errors for CDs, but not DVDs yet, I'll pick up one of those lens cleaning disks. It can't be totally gone if it can tell the difference between CDs and DVDs.

Fate Fatale
05-07-2005, 09:44 PM
It may be your cds, the old PS2 has difficulty reading dirty discs, whereas the slimline can read through because it has a better lens...

Shoeberto
05-08-2005, 02:02 AM
Old PS2s, man. They do that.

If it really gets bad, you may just have to get a new one.

Vyk
05-08-2005, 05:07 AM
Playing DVDs on old PS2 seems to have a lot of adverse effects. Generally random, but the chances are high of you screwing it up just by trying to get it to do something it's supposed to be able to anyway. Mine totally wigged on a DVD and you hear about this ALL the time. It's cheaper to just get a DVD player. 'Cause otherwise you may have to replace your PS2 in the end. It's a gamble. Not worth it in my opinion.