PDA

View Full Version : How much time takes place in an FF game?

Fire_Emblem776
05-08-2005, 06:13 AM
Just a thought but how much time passes from the begining to the end?
And with training to level up like crazy? weeks, months years?
And only in 8 do the charachrers change clothes once though.
just wondering that all.

Vyk
05-08-2005, 06:25 AM
How many times do you visit an INN? ;P

I'd average it about a month maybe? Not long, not short. Enough to get things done. Though the clothes thing... Maybe someday XD But for right now it's like cartoons.

EDIT: The amount of time you spend playing/training/leveling is irrelevant. It all has to do with the plot itself. I think FF1 might be the only real exception. They seemed to try and drive the point home that it took at least a couple years, considering the change in age. The others I would easily imagine are supposed to happen in under a year. Probably far under a year.

Gwelenguchenkus
05-08-2005, 08:39 AM
They don't age signifigantly, ever.

I'd say in an average FF, the events happen in about 3 weeks. I feel like the time it takes to travel between places in FFs are relatively short or almost non-existant most of the time. Take FF8 for instance. Walking to balamb from balamb garden should take less than a day, I'd suspect. Every time you complete a big mission and are headed off somewhere else, I get the impression that another dayhas passed. So... after a main dungeon and a boss is about a day. Since theres like 20-30 big events, bosses, dungeons about, I'd say about 3 weeks, but of course, this is all relative, and ahs no real basis at all.

Captain Maxx Power
05-08-2005, 11:41 AM
Considering the world is in perpetual sunlight across the globe I think it's fair to say that the world isn't experiencing day and night like we would. Obviously there is a distinction, but since after some calculation on my part means that most FF worlds are strawberry shaped, we can assume that day and night are purely relative to the plot and shouldn't be considered a signficant factor in calculating the length of time that the characters go through.

Martyr
05-08-2005, 04:19 PM
They're plot based on the time scale.

Remember how sometimes people act like things are urgent but you gotta level so hard and stay at the Inn so much that it's, like, 3 weeks before you kill a monster who is about to, I dunno, blow up a town in 30 minutes?

Well, I consider it that you did everything in 30 minutes, not 3 weeks.

Vyk
05-08-2005, 05:41 PM
I just remembered FFVI deffinitely takes longer than a year. So there's another exception.

rubah
05-08-2005, 08:50 PM
I reckon ff8 happens in less than single summer. What with the 'All Garden students will have their summer break from so and so to such and such.' or something.

ffx probably is over months, seeing as they're WALKING that distance.

ff6 is at least nine months, what with katrina's baby

TurkSlayer
05-08-2005, 08:59 PM
I'd say at least a month. I have a question on FF6, though. When Celes unconsious on the island with Cid, how much time passed? Cid said something about it.

Zifnab
05-08-2005, 09:05 PM
ff6 is at least nine months, what with katrina's baby
I believe Celes was in a coma for at least a year anyway.

DJZen
05-08-2005, 10:44 PM
The "change in age" in FFI is kind of... umm... unverifiable. That only happens upon class change in the NES and MSX versions, and it's only perceptual, no one actually states that the characters have aged any. It also happens because of "Bahamut's gift", which is instantaneous. In later versions of the game (WSC, PSX, GBA, FoMA) the sprites remain SD style after the class change. The other big factor is that it's optional. If you don't do it, the game remains a tiny bit harder and you have to level up more. This means your adventure takes longer, but you would appear to remain younger. See what I'm saying?

Vyk
05-09-2005, 01:20 AM
Right. I completely forgot it was Bahamut's fault. All I remember was it wasn't originally referred to as a class change. Everyone kept saying they "grow up". Which is what made me think that.

Xander
05-09-2005, 02:39 PM
I've always thought this was an interesting thing to think about, in fact I made a thread a lonnnng time ago about the time in FFIX. Ah, here it is:

http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=44679&highlight=long

Some spoilers in there about FFIX though.

Fire_Emblem776
05-09-2005, 04:45 PM
How many times do you visit an INN? ;P

that sounds right, now i must keep track of how many times i used a tent, and go at an inn.

Azure Chrysanthemum
05-09-2005, 04:57 PM
I'm inclined to say that they usually take place over the course of the year, because apart from what you do there's downtime in the story that is omitted from actual play because it'd just be boring. Take FF8 for example. I imagine it's not a constant mission mission mission mission. You probably have them spaced between an indeterminate amount of time. Also, it probably takes a lot longer for someone to travel through monster infested woods and some sort of obstacle like a mountain to than it does to walk across a large field (which, in and of itself, could take a few days).