PDA

View Full Version : Kingdom of Heaven

Shlup
05-08-2005, 08:29 AM
It was good. You should go see it.

People who hold great stock in the values that their religious texts teach them, both Christian and Muslim, seem to dislike it because all the "religious" people are bad. Well, if not invoking the will of God as an excuse to kill someone means you're not religious, then they can keep their religions and I'll stick with my good ol' peace-loving version of Christianity.

I looked into it and there are so many people who say different parts of the movie are the innacurate ones that I'd say the accuracy of the movie is clearly arguable. I like this version of history though because it doesn't put down Muslims or Christians, it puts down religious extremists.

That's what I thought anyway. And Orlando Bloom was especially hot in it. :p

The Captain
05-08-2005, 08:34 AM
Did you type "Orlando Blood" as foreshadowing to the fate of his character by any chance?

I'm interested to see this film as I greatly enjoy the work of Ridley Scott.

Take care all.

My name is...something..?
05-08-2005, 08:40 AM
I saw it a couple of hours ago. I liked it a lot, it's one of those movies that don't come around often. Really god, it has my highest recommendations.

Behold the Void
05-08-2005, 08:41 AM
Really god, it has my highest recommendations.

This thread abounds with Freudian slips :D

DMKA
05-08-2005, 08:48 AM
I saw it Friday. I loved it, though it was very depressing and furiating. I also didn't know Orlando Bloom was actually capable of looking good before this movie.

This movie was very reminiscent of Troy though. The filming strategies were similar, and more than just Orlando Bloom was in this movie that was in Troy. Strange.

This movie was way better than Troy though, in my opinion.

Rainecloud
05-08-2005, 08:57 AM
I've been meaning to go and see this, and I probably will after reading your praises.

Orlando Bloom - good? I can only assume his acting lessons have finally paid off.

Miriel
05-08-2005, 08:59 AM
Absolutely gorgeous movie. That first battle in the forest was exquisite. Ridley Scott can direct an epic on a level that few people can match. I mean really, this movie is insanely beautiful to look at.

Excellent cast, Jeremy Irons and Edward Norton especially did an amazing job. And I'm so proud of Orlando Bloom, between this and Elizabethtown, he's going to have a good year. He really proved himself to be leading man material with this one.

I'd say that the movie was a notch below Gladiator but head and shoulders above Troy and Alexander. I loved the message the film was trying to send, and I think it's an important one for the world to hear right now.

Oh and the Priest in Jerusalem was friggen hysterical. "Convert to Islam! Repent later!" :p

Kawaii Ryűkishi
05-08-2005, 09:30 AM
I'm really sick and tired of "hundreds of thousands of soldiers fighting each other oh look what epic battles we can build with our computer graphics have we made as much money as Lord of the Rings yet" movies. Sorry.

DMKA
05-08-2005, 09:48 AM
I'm really sick and tired of "hundreds of thousands of soldiers fighting each other oh look what epic battles we can build with our computer graphics have we made as much money as Lord of the Rings yet" movies. Sorry.
Is there anything else?

I have to go to the movies and watch something. Sorry. =/

Miriel
05-08-2005, 10:01 AM

I can't say I blame you.

More than anything, this movie suffers from bad timing. The market for epic war movies is pretty saturated right now and after the recent flops of Alexander and Troy, there really isn't much interest in another one of these genre movies.

Which is really a shame because KoH is probably the best movie of it's kind since Return of the King. And to be fair, I think Ridley Scott wanted to spark dialogue between different faiths more than he wanted to make money.

Chris
05-08-2005, 11:46 AM
I saw it just last night; I liked it to an extend.
The obvious production was great and Orlando Bloom did a fair job with his role.
What I didn't like however was when they cut the great battles scenes, we only got to see the aftermath of the battles...
that brought it down. Great movie though.

Shlup
05-08-2005, 12:04 PM
Orlando Blood... xD I typed this on my way out the door, sorry.

I thought they relied much heavier on the plot to carry the movie than the battles, which I appreciated. Of course, since the movie was mostly about a battle, the battle scene was pretty big, but I thought it was less hack-and-slash and more strategy than most movies of this kind. I liked that about it.

I did like Troy, but I thought this movie was far more interesting. Not nearly as hot since it had less romance and less hot male nudity, but it was still neat. Didn't know Orlando Bloom had it in him to be so... not as feminine as usual. xP

I didn't even know King Baldwin was played by Edward Norton until just now. Awesome.

Chris
05-08-2005, 01:02 PM
Another thing; the girl who played the Queen was damn ugly. >=/

Rye
05-08-2005, 03:47 PM
I dunno how good this movie is, but Orlando Bloom being in it is enough for me.

eestlinc
05-08-2005, 04:08 PM
I'm with Kishi on this one.

Ryth
05-08-2005, 06:01 PM
I just saw the movie Kingdom of Heaven. It was good I thought it'd be a lot more like Troy but it had a lot of polotics mixed into it which most of it made no sense but I enjoyed what I understood and the battles were done very well it truly captures, to me anyway, the chaos the bitter confusion of war. Also the main character isn't some super soldier in chainmail like Aaragorn or Gimli hes a lot more vunerable like an actual human he does take damage and it does affect him yet being able to defend himself extraordianaryly (sp) well makes him realistically badass (for Orlando Bloom). And the polotical events were all (for the most part) accurate. I think they did a good job recreating the Crusades which was a very complicated historical event in my opinon. Bravo.

lordblazer
05-09-2005, 05:48 AM
Not all of it was massive battles...you didnt even give the movie a chance.
spoiler:
I liked the part when the king od jerusalem slapped teh crap out of that guyw ith the beard.

T-MaN
05-09-2005, 10:37 PM
If people recommend this movie, then I think I will go and see it.

Shlup
05-09-2005, 11:08 PM
I recommend this movie. ^_^

lordblazer
05-09-2005, 11:40 PM
My friends at school said House of Wax was better than this movie and siad i suck because i watched it.One of my friends said that he jsut doenst liek war movies.Because of Troy blah blah baslh i told him to check it outbut i respect his decision.

But this other guy was jsut bashing on me for watching the movie.I told him off.I said why should you care i liek a movie oyu don't then i told him then thats stupid and has no point to it to say my movie sucks jsut so people can laugh.Which they didnt because no one cares.

Chris
05-09-2005, 11:47 PM
You should definitely go watch it; it's definitely worth seeing at least once.

T-MaN
05-10-2005, 02:14 AM
I recommend this movie. ^_^
You should definitely go watch it; it's definitely worth seeing at least once

In that case, I will go watch it now. Actually, it's getting late now. I'll watch it tomorrow.