PDA

View Full Version : English voice actors

Darkstrife
05-09-2005, 03:11 AM
Ok I just have two things to say. If you know the voice actors please tell me, and I really hope that Sephiroth's voice actor is not going to be the same one as in Kingdom Hearts. I believe nobody would be happy watching the credits and seeing the voice actor for Sephiroth is Lance Bass.

CloudStrife48
05-09-2005, 03:42 AM
sadly

square doesnt care about your opinion.

they like their own. they are in it to make money.

BackRoomKid
05-09-2005, 03:48 AM
I really hope that Sephiroth's voice actor is not going to be the same one as in Kingdom Hearts. I believe nobody would be happy watching the credits and seeing the voice actor for Sephiroth is Lance Bass.

what was wrong with Lance Bass as a voice actor? gave me one reason with a solid foundation why he was not fit to play Sephorith as a VOICE actor and I will give you an internet hand shake

Vyk
05-09-2005, 05:45 AM
I haven't even gotten to that part of the game yet in KH. I won't hold it against him that he was part of a girl-pleasing boy-band. Just the stereo type of boy band guys. Can he pull off the brooding badass voice okay? I haven't heard it yet.

BackRoomKid
05-09-2005, 07:44 AM
I thought he did...with the help of digital voice enhancer/thingys

TheAbominatrix
05-09-2005, 08:06 AM
Good God this Lance Bass thing is ridiculous. GET OVER IT. If I saw his name on the credits I wouldnt care. I dont care if he was in N'Sync, I dont care that he's an annoying twit. All that matters is his skill as a voice actor.

As for the English VA's, they havent been announced yet, and as I've said before the chances of the Kingdom Hearts voice actors coming back for Advent Children is extremely low. The reason KH had high-priced actors for the voices was Disney's influence and money. Square isnt going to waste money on a straight to DVD/PSP movie, we can expect the usual stock of anime/video game/cartoon voice actors to work on this project.

Kawaii Ryûkishi
05-09-2005, 08:13 AM
Justin Timberlake plays Cloud Strife. Confirmed.

Vyk
05-09-2005, 08:15 AM
Are they even handling the localization? I'm sure there's tons of companies willing to do that for them. Like I said in another thread; considering how much money this is destined to make, I wouldn't be surprised if Disney picked it up themselves, considering what they're doing with Anime (i.e. Studio Ghibli's work.) It'd save Squeenix some money and we'd get quality VA's. Possibly even returns.

TheAbominatrix
05-09-2005, 08:23 AM
I dont see why they wouldnt be handling their own localization, they usually do.

And the voice actors we usually get are fine quality for me. The KH actors werent about quality, they were about star power. Not that they were bad, but they werent put on there because their amazing voice work, by any means.

If Disney was picking it up, I'd assumed they'd have done so by now. They usually get on projects pretty early.

Vyk
05-09-2005, 02:39 PM
I wasn't insinuating their localization would be inherently bad ^_^ I just think it's a win/win situation. As far as finances go anyway. But I'm sure Square's recovered from The Spirit Within, so they probably don't need the help anymore.

CloudStrife48
05-09-2005, 05:29 PM

Look what I found out...

Lance Bass as Sephiroth. Confirmed.
JC Chasez as Cid. Confirmed.
Joey Fatone as Vincent. Confirmed.
Chris Kirkpatrick as Barret. Confirmed.

:eek: :rolleyes2 haha

YukiKiro
05-09-2005, 06:12 PM
you have GOT to be ****ing kidding me. Timberlake as one of the greatest video game characters of all time? someone needs to be hit in the face with a trout; because even if this is a joke, it is not funny.

Laguna
05-09-2005, 06:23 PM
This is always going to cause some upset. I definately built up the characters in my own mind when I played through FFVII, I knew how I wanted them to sound. Square are in a nigh on impossible position- they cant please everyone, they just have to do the best they can. Heck, if the story is good but the voice acting is bad I'll happily try and find a Japanese version with subtitles.

JaytodaP
05-09-2005, 08:24 PM

Look what I found out...

Are you serious? Holy crap

Darkstrife
05-09-2005, 08:46 PM
Please tell me your kidding about Justin Timberlake and all the other actors mentioned so far... I would have nightmares if i saw that in the credits.

Cloud72789
05-09-2005, 09:03 PM
Oh this is rediculous... Wait 'til the movie comes out and you hear it with your own ears, then complain. I seriously don't care who makes the voice for what, as long as it SOUNDS decent. Even if the voice acting isn't all that and I'm still gonna love the movie for who it's about and the story... You people sound like movie critics.. bad ones. WAIT AND WATCH THE MOVIE FIRST! THEN YOU MAY COMPLAIN TO YOUR little HEARTS CONTENT!!!..

Mercen-X
05-09-2005, 09:15 PM
Hey . . . check this. I have an idea in my head about what everybody at EoFF sounds like in person. If I met you in person, would you think it fair that I disliked you because you didn't match up to the image I'd constructed? I "know" what you sound like. So if I actually heard what you really sound like, would it make it impossible to take you seriously from that point on?

Also, when I haven't seen my cousin for awhile, I imagine her voice. When I actually talk to her, I'm like, "Is that her voice? That's not the voice that was in my head." Should my image of her be destroyed because I remember what she sounded like during our childhood, even though she doesn't sound like anymore?

Vyk
05-09-2005, 11:09 PM
This is always going to cause some upset. I definately built up the characters in my own mind when I played through FFVII, I knew how I wanted them to sound. Square are in a nigh on impossible position- they cant please everyone, they just have to do the best they can. Heck, if the story is good but the voice acting is bad I'll happily try and find a Japanese version with subtitles.
So the Japanese voices are automatically exactly what you always thought they were in the game? Why are people like this with American voices? I know dang well a Japanese Barret isn't going to sound like Mr T. And as cliche as that is, it's exactly what he SHOULD sound like, because that's the cliche he was fashioned after. Sorry to target you specifically, Laguna, no offense intended. I just think people are being blindly biased towards Japanese voice actors and I don't get it.

If they pull the role off well, I don't care if it's not exactly what I expected. You're right. It's impossible to please everyone. So there's gotta be a lee-way (gray area). And for the record, granted I precieved Sephiroth's character as more badass less female. But he was completely fashioned as a bishounen. Pretty boy. Metro-sexual. Who better to play a guy like that than someone from a girly boy-band? Seriously. Granted he might be better off playing Kuja or whatever. But still... actually I think I'm going insane ^_^ Sorry, I'm just tired. Don't put too much water in what I'm saying.

EDIT: Excellent analogy Mercy. Ten points to that one XD Kudos!

Gwelenguchenkus
05-10-2005, 01:53 AM
If Barret's voice sounds anything like Mr T, that would be the most hilarious thing. I wuoldn't be able to take him seriously.

"Enuff a' yo jibba-jabba!!"

Mercen-X
05-10-2005, 04:51 AM
Mr. T? No!

I never imagined Mr. T's voice when I read what Barret said. Honestly, I've only seen Mr. T on TV and I've never even heard him swear. The closest matches that I could find to Barret are "Tigatron" from Beast Wars Transformers (who may also be good for Nanaki) or Wesley Snipes.

I think that David Kaye would make an awesome Sephiroth. David Kaye is the name of the voice actor behind Sesshomaru, Inuyasha's brother and nemesis. If you've never heard of Inuyasha than that could be because one of three things: you don't have cable or you don't get "Adult Swim" which could actually be watched by a five year old or you may not be a fan of anime.

We've already decided who we'd WANT for the voices in another thread, so I'll stop talking about that. I'll watch, enjoy, and purchase Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children as long as the voice actors don't sound like idiots.
There were points in KH when the actors did horrendous voice acting. Like Haley Joel Osmond when he first met that guy in the cloak. He said, "Where did YOU come from?" placing undue emphasis on "you." They could've edited the scene so that he asked that question the second he heard the guy's voice, so it wouldn't have sounded so stupid. Otherwise, they really needed to have acting coaches in there.
This was a really bad call for both Disney and Square. Not controlling the takes, not hiring a vocal coach. Billy Zane did a pretty good job, but even he screwed up a couple times. About the only guy who did a GOOD job in the game was Steve Burton playing Cloud . . . and I have no idea who the hell HE is.
Hiring unknowns to the voice acting is a surefire way to earn the respect of the common fan. "Unknowns" are the voice-actors of anime. Since they've never been physically on TV or in the movies (few exceptions I know of are Phil Lamarr, Jackie Chan, Danny Cooksey, and Jason Marsden) they're basically unknown to the average movie-going American.

Vyk
05-10-2005, 05:20 AM
Hey I'm not saying I want him to sound like Mr T either. I didn't picture it in my head. But that is who he was fashioned after ^_^; But... lol @ Gwel... yeah... too funny XD

EDIT: I agree. Disney's choice in voice actors wasn't really perfect. I didn't really get into Tidus, Wakka, or Selphie at the beginning.

The only voice actor from anime I've ever seen is the dude that played in the Guyver live action movie. And I think it kicks ass they chose an anime voice actor to play a live role. I recognized his voice instantly but had no idea who the guy was ^_^'

Mercen-X
05-10-2005, 06:13 AM
I thought the voice actors for Selphie and Tidus did better than Wakka. Actually, I just didn't like the way he said, "Heeeey. What's HOPpening . . . man . . ." He just didn't sound like he was trying. By the way, Wakka was played by Dee Bradly Baker. If you've ever watched the Teen Titans, you'd recognize him as the guy who's always doing the voices of monsters. In other words, he's good at grunting and going, "Orarrrgh!" I liked how he did when he said, "Oh man, that really hurt."

Vyk
05-10-2005, 06:58 AM
u_u It's been too long since I watched Teen Titans. But thanks for the bit of trivia ^_^

CloudStrife48
05-10-2005, 11:25 PM

Look what I found out...

Are you serious? Holy crap

i was kidding. :D

kikimm
05-13-2005, 02:50 AM
Seriously, who cares who the hell the voice actor is as long as they play their part well? If you didn't know it was them, would you still think it was horrible? I doubt it. I really am not understanding all the uproar that Lance Bass caused. He had what, three frickin` lines, and they were all sort of mumbled, and incomprehensible. Just because he was or is, in a boy band doesn't make him some sort of demon (technically). Ugh. It's not a big deal. >=O!

I apologize. But I'm fed up with this crap. xD Anyways, no I don't think any of the voice actors have been announced. I doubt they will be for awhile, either. So I'll just sit back, and wait for the news to slowly pour in.

:D

Mi-Chan
05-13-2005, 03:28 AM
I agree with kikimm.. as long as they do it right I dont really care who it is. Knowing how much this means to a ton of fans, I'm pretty sure that Square Enix won't screw it up, right?

Del Murder
05-14-2005, 10:01 PM
I heard Ryan Seacrest is going to play Barret.

Chibi Angel
05-16-2005, 01:28 AM
I heard Ryan Seacrest is going to play Barret.
:trout:

ShivaBlizzard8
05-17-2005, 05:18 AM
I'm curious to know if they are going to have English voice actors at all or if they are just going to subtitle it. Personally, I'd like to see English voice actors just because I got used to it with FFX, but I'd be okay with subtitles too. Has Square actually said whether or not they are going to translate the voices?

Vyk
05-17-2005, 07:17 AM
I hope they do a better job than the narration they had on that one trailer.

ShivaBlizzard8
05-17-2005, 09:48 PM
I agree, that was lame. But I imagine it would be - that sounded like it was just thrown together.

MarikTheYuke
06-13-2005, 12:32 AM
Will Smith as Barret!!! :D :beer: :shoot:

SomethingBig
06-13-2005, 12:50 AM
This is from IMDB(too lazy to find the URL):
Cloud - Alec Baldwin(Weird how he played the main male character in 2 FF movies)
Tifa - Sharon Stone
Barrett - Will Shatner HAHA just joking. Methodman
Cid - Michael Douglas
Red XIII - Ben Savage
Vincent - Chad Michael Murry(SP?)
Cait Sith - Matt Le Blanc
Aeris - Britney Spears

Lord Magician
06-13-2005, 01:40 AM
This is from IMDB(too lazy to find the URL):
Cloud - Alec Baldwin(Weird how he played the main male character in 2 FF movies)
Tifa - Sharon Stone
Barrett - Will Shatner HAHA just joking. Methodman
Cid - Michael Douglas
Red XIII - Ben Savage
Vincent - Chad Michael Murry(SP?)
Cait Sith - Matt Le Blanc
Aeris - Britney Spears

Cait Sith is not even on the DAMN MOVIE!! look vocies are the seconf most important part of the movie. If the vocies are like from the anime "One Piece", THAT SUCK BALLS!!!, then we are screwed and it will be Japanese version with english sub titles for me, and the Japanese vocies are perfect!(except sephiroth, I don't know what he sounds like.)

So as long as Michal Jackson does not play sephiroths voice, we are all in good hands! :mad:

eestlinc
06-13-2005, 02:51 AM
Yea I'm sure tons of top talent will be lining up to voice a direct-to-dvd video game sequel movie.

Raven Nox
06-13-2005, 03:06 AM
Cait Sith is not even on the DAMN MOVIE!!

Yes he is... I still don't think any of the people on that list are right though. It's probably just a joke.

SomethingBig
06-13-2005, 03:09 AM
Cait Sith is not even on the DAMN MOVIE!!
http://www.ffhybrid.net/image.php?img=/etc/ac0605/big/7.jpg

Dante WolfWood
06-13-2005, 07:55 PM
hmm, well, I heard ruben was gonna play Barret....can ya imagine barret singing "sorry for 2004"? :p

no, actually,I'd like to see the voice actor from cowboy bebop who played Jet play barret....it might not fit his "Mr.T" cliche but now that I think about it, the voice would do pretty good....

also, maybe the guy Jon DiMaggio could play something? :p wouldnt be suprised.

Mercen-X
06-13-2005, 09:17 PM
Yea I'm sure tons of top talent will be lining up to voice a direct-to-dvd video game sequel movie.
:bow: if joke, :barf: if not. Top Talent sucks bananas. HJO, Mindy, Haydie and DBB all did horrendous jobs with their VOs in KH. In my opinion, we need peeps from the downlow. VO talent EXPERTISE. Peeps from Saiyuki, Rurouni, Mouse, Samurai Deeper & Champloo, YuYu, Bebop and Gundam, and even GunGrave.

Azure Chrysanthemum
06-13-2005, 09:18 PM
*sigh*

http://imdb.com/title/tt0385700/

Cast (in credits order)
Takahiro Sakurai .... Cloud Strife (voice)
Ayumi Ito .... Tifa Lockheart (voice)
Tsuduruhara Miyuu .... Marlene (voice)
rest of cast listed alphabetically:
Keiji Fujiwara .... Reno (voice)
Kyosuke Ikeda .... Denzel (voice)
Yumi Kakazu .... Yuffie Kisaragi (voice)
Yûji Kishi .... Yazoo (voice)
Masahiro Kobayashi .... Barret Wallace (voice)
Taiten Kusunoki .... Rude (voice)
Toshiyuki Morikawa .... Sephiroth (voice)
Shotaro Morikubo .... Kadaj (voice)
Kenji Nomura .... Loz (voice)
Toru Ôkawa .... Wheel Chair Person (voice)
Walter Roberts .... Promotional Movie Narrator
Maaya Sakamoto .... Aeris Gainsborough (voice)
Shogo Suzuki .... Vincent Valentine (voice)
Kenichi Suzumura .... Zack (voice)

No English voices. How about that?

SomethingBig
06-13-2005, 11:55 PM
*sigh*

http://imdb.com/title/tt0385700/
No English voices. How about that?
God damns people who ruin SB's fun.

Excelsior
06-14-2005, 04:18 AM
boo, japanese with subtitles is wack yo. english voice actors are always better. fo shizzle.

DMKA
06-14-2005, 04:42 AM
boo, japanese with subtitles is wack yo. english voice actors are always better. fo shizzle.
I disagree. I would of watched it subbed anyway. Why? Because it was made to be in Japanese, the mouth movements are set to be Japanese...with graphics as realistic as these, synching it would be hell.

But eh, they could just do the re-encoded tweak to make it sync correctly like they did with FFX/X-2 FMVs...so eh. I'm happy either way.

Yameki
06-14-2005, 05:53 PM
http://www.ff7ac.net/?s=pages/theactors
Heres the complete list of actors ^^

SomethingBig
06-15-2005, 01:48 PM
Japanese voice actors all the way. I've seen and heard the terrors of voice acting from FFX and various Japanese animations.

MushroomZOMBIE
06-16-2005, 01:00 AM
Oh yeah,a few years ago,I went to my cousin's house,& he played FF10.My dad made fun how the voices don't match the lip-synching.He said it looked like a Bruce Lee movie.......:lol: That was fuckin' hilarious.

Dante WolfWood
06-17-2005, 05:21 AM
umm, on some FF7ac website....cant remember which one, they list english actors but it just says not released yet....so I think they're might be english actors.....

(hey, you dont know, they coulda been working on this movie since Spirits within and already have a fully englished rendered movie!!!) [I wish]:(

MushroomZOMBIE
06-19-2005, 03:21 AM
True.......

Rpgirl_yuna
06-19-2005, 07:31 PM
please tell me ur joking about Britney playing Aeris!!! :eek: :moogle: :moomba:

Russielloyd
06-20-2005, 01:05 PM
This seems to be more accurate and realistic to what "SomethingBig" said, i think he was smoking something and just made it up.

This is the lst i got...

Cloud Strife - Steve Burton
(General Hospital, Kingdom Hearts)

Sephiroth - Steven Jay Blum
(God of War, Megas XLR)

Vincent Valentine - David Boreanaz
(Angel, Buffy)

Tifa Lockheart - Cree Summer
(Susie in Rugrats, Dulcy the Dragon in SatAM[Sonic The Hedgehog])

Aeris Gainsborough - Mandy Moore
(Singer, Kingdom Hearts)

Yuffie Kisaragi - Christy Carlson Romano
(Kim Possible, Even Stevens)

Barret Wallace - Ving Rhames
(Mission Impossible 1,2 and soon to be 3)

Rude - Keith David
(Gargoyles, Arbiter in Halo 2)

Reno - Josh Gomez
(Praetor Baralai in FFX-2)

Kadaj - Jason Marsden
(Chester from The Fairly OddParents)

Loz - Christopher Sabat
(Vegeta, Yamcha and Piccolo from the Dragon Ball series)

Yazoo - George C. Cole
(Million Knives in Trigun)

Denzel - Olivia Hack
(Hana in FFX-2, Shion Uzuki from Zenosaga Episode II)

Man in the wheelchair - David Hayter
(Naked/Solid Snake from Metal Gear Solid)

Marlene - Hayden Panettiere
(Kairi in Kingdom Hearts)

Zack - Quinton Flynn
(Isaaru in FFX and FFX-2, Raiden from MGS2)

Geostigma - Vanessa Marshall
(Nala in Lion King, Vega Donna in Onimusha 3)

DMKA
06-20-2005, 01:42 PM
This is the lst i got...

Cloud Strife - Steve Burton
(General Hospital, Kingdom Hearts)

Sephiroth - Steven Jay Blum
(God of War, Megas XLR)

Vincent Valentine - David Boreanaz
(Angel, Buffy)

Tifa Lockheart - Cree Summer
(Susie in Rugrats, Dulcy the Dragon in SatAM[Sonic The Hedgehog])

Aeris Gainsborough - Mandy Moore
(Singer, Kingdom Hearts)

Yuffie Kisaragi - Christy Carlson Romano
(Kim Possible, Even Stevens)

Barret Wallace - Ving Rhames
(Mission Impossible 1,2 and soon to be 3)

Rude - Keith David
(Gargoyles, Arbiter in Halo 2)

Reno - Josh Gomez
(Praetor Baralai in FFX-2)

Kadaj - Jason Marsden
(Chester from The Fairly OddParents)

Loz - Christopher Sabat
(Vegeta, Yamcha and Piccolo from the Dragon Ball series)

Yazoo - George C. Cole
(Million Knives in Trigun)

Denzel - Olivia Hack
(Hana in FFX-2, Shion Uzuki from Zenosaga Episode II)

Man in the wheelchair - David Hayter
(Naked/Solid Snake from Metal Gear Solid)

Marlene - Hayden Panettiere
(Kairi in Kingdom Hearts)

Zack - Quinton Flynn
(Isaaru in FFX and FFX-2, Raiden from MGS2)

Did you make that up or did you get it from somewhere?

Russielloyd
06-20-2005, 01:48 PM
This seems to be more realistic to what "SomethingBig" said, i think he was smoking something and just made it up.

This is the lst i got...

Steve Burton - Cloud Strife
Steven Jay Blum - Sephiroth
David Boreanaz - Vincent Valentine
Cree Summer - Tifa Lockheart
Mandy Moore - Aeris Gainsborough
Christy Carlson Romano - Yuffie Kisaragi
Ving Rhames - Barret Wallace
Keith David - Rude
Josh Gomez - Reno
Jason Marsden - Kadaj
Christopher Sabat - Loz
George C. Cole - Yazoo
Olivia Hack - Denzel
David Hayter - Man in the wheelchair
Hayden Panettiere - Marlene
Quinton Flynn - Zack
Vanessa Marshall - Geostigma

DMKA
06-20-2005, 01:57 PM
This is the lst i got...

Keith David - Rude
Josh Gomez - Reno
Jason Marsden - Kadaj
Christopher Sabat - Loz
George C. Cole - Yazoo
Olivia Hack - Denzel
Quinton Flynn - Zack
Did you make that up or did you get it from somewhere?

Russielloyd
06-20-2005, 02:37 PM
whoops sorry about the duoble post.

No i found them, i just added what other roles they play, so people might reconise them.

I thought it was a really good list of voices.

Destai
06-20-2005, 02:42 PM
That list has a fair idea of the roles but they could do better. David Boreanaz wouldnt make a "great" Vincent. And yeah, I know its fake.

Russielloyd
06-20-2005, 03:51 PM
Well David does do the mysterios guy quite well, in buffy/angel and other movies ive seen him in. Vincent doesnt have to a have a really low voice like the Japanese VA. Some voices play off different in english from Japanese to suit the character, If you get what i mean.

Serria
06-21-2005, 05:15 AM
First...

I agree with those who have been saying 'get over Lance Bass as Sephiroth'. I thought it was hilarious at first, but after I got over that fact I don't think he did so badly at all. In fact he sounded fine to me. What's the big deal? Don't go hatin' just 'cause you don't like boy bands, gods know I don't. And I thought most of the KH voice acting was EXCELLENT. I really liked Cloud, Yuffie and Leon. I didn't care for Wakka or Aerith as much though.

Second...

I don't understand why so many think that because it's Japanese voice acting, it's suddenly better. Yes, perhaps the characters' mouths are originally made to move to Japanese wording, what most people don't realize is that in the process of getting what the Japanese voice actor says to line up, it still isn't perfect. In fact in most cases these days English voice acting, in terms of 'lining up' isn't much worse than the Japanese.

And with Final Fantasy VII... sorry, but I think I'll prefer English. I played the game in English, I speak English. I'm so close to FF7 (if that makes sense) that seeing them speak a foreign language would kind of take away from it for me. I'd feel less like a part of the game, like I do when I play it.

Though if they get terrible English voice actors for AC, I might take that back. I like most of the Japanese voices. I definitely have in my head already what the characters should sound like... so we'll see, I guess.

Sephiroths Clone
06-22-2005, 12:52 AM

Who is Geostigma?! I know that its the virus thing but why is there a voice for it?

Mercen-X
06-22-2005, 01:15 AM
No i found them, i just added what other roles they play, so people might reconise them.

I thought it was a really good list of voices.
He means in the LIST real or is just a list of people you think would fit the bill.

Christy Carlson Romano was HORRIBLE as Yuffie. My thought is that they let her do one take with no retakes or rehearsals, 'cause it SUCKED.
This is the lst i got...

Keith David - Rude
Josh Gomez - Reno
Jason Marsden - Kadaj
Christopher Sabat - Loz
George C. Cole - Yazoo
Olivia Hack - Denzel
Quinton Flynn - Zack
Is Steven Jay Blum the voice of Coop or Jamie? If it's Jamie, I'm pretty sure that he's the same voice behind Mugen on Champloo. Good pick.
I'm more willing to accept Method Man or even Redman rather than Ving Rhames. You're trying too hard to imagine a big voice. Just because Barret's big doesn't mean he has to have a big voice.
Jason Marsden also plays the voice of Richie Foley/Gear on Static Shock.
Hayden Panettiere didn't do a very good job either. Probably another single-take-case. I wonder how MacKenzie Rosman would fair in voice acting.
I also have a problem with David Hayter as Rufus (Wheelchair Man). I don't know what it is yet, but I know it's there.

Russielloyd
06-23-2005, 06:58 PM
You gotta take in the fact that most of VA have only done voices for cartoons or games, i bet they can pull off many different voices.

Take The Simpsons for example, the guy that does Homers voices, he does like 7 other characters aswell. We cant think of them in the characters we know they do, except proberly for clouds, Aries and Yuffie voice, plus this is a serious action fantasy movie, so even the voices might change a bit, if it were to be those VA's.

If that all makes sense, hopefully you know what i mean.

TheAbominatrix
06-23-2005, 08:29 PM
Yeah, but it's more fun to speculate this way.

The Simpsons VA's creep me out when the switch from voice to voice, when they're on talk shows and all xD.

To strength the point, though, the same girl that does Rikku also VA's for Raven from Teen Titans. Now those are two extremely opposite voices.

Big D
06-24-2005, 02:26 AM
To strength the point, though, the same girl that does Rikku also VA's for Raven from Teen Titans. Now those are two extremely opposite voices.She's also one of the Powerpuff Girls, apparently. A pretty versatile actress, but specialising in energetic young women.

TheAbominatrix
06-24-2005, 02:34 AM
She has a very impressive list of credits to her name. Some of her roles are more predicatble (I believe she's Bubbles of PpG, which mirrors Rikku with the bubbly-ness), but some are very interesting.

Azure Chrysanthemum
06-24-2005, 03:04 AM
I don't understand why so many think that because it's Japanese voice acting, it's suddenly better. Yes, perhaps the characters' mouths are originally made to move to Japanese wording, what most people don't realize is that in the process of getting what the Japanese voice actor says to line up, it still isn't perfect. In fact in most cases these days English voice acting, in terms of 'lining up' isn't much worse than the Japanese.

From what I've heard of the English trailers vs. the Japanese trailers, I like the Japanese voice actors more because they just SOUND better. I've generally found that in most anime and video games, the Japanese voice acting is better than the English voice acting. The voices are to sound appealing, I can just read the text to understand what they're saying, and I think it makes the experience that much more enjoyable. If I don't enjoy the voices, it can really annoy me for the duration of the movie, and possibly ruin the movie for me.

There are things I prefer in English, and things I prefer in Japanese. It merely comes down to what sounds better.

TheAbominatrix
06-24-2005, 03:08 AM
Because animation is a far more respected industry in Japan (and one quite often geared towards adults), they seem to take their voice acting much more seriously and thus usually have better quality. We dont get that very often with English voice acting... and dubs can often ruin an otherwise wonderful series.

Kawaii Ryûkishi
06-24-2005, 04:50 AM
If you just listen to some English voice-acting, without actually seeing the show or knowing what it is, you'll always be able to tell it's voice-acting and not live acting because everyone's using "cartoon voices." If you listen to some Japanese voice-acting, it's often indistinguishable from the live stuff.

Of course, cartoon voices aren't necessarily a bad thing--just check out Phil LaMarr's performance in Metal Gear Solid 2--so you can't really say that all non-Japanese voice-acting is inferior.

TheAbominatrix
06-24-2005, 05:09 AM
Not all of it, for sure. Even, for example, Cowboy BeBop was done well. But on the whole, it's of less quality. Usually. But there are some excellent dubs out there... and Disney movies often have some great voice acting.

Mercen-X
06-24-2005, 09:57 AM
You gotta take in the fact that most of VA have only done voices for cartoons or games, i bet they can pull off many different voices.
Um . . . talking to me? Knock, knock! I like your VA selections, I know how diverse VAs can be. My beef was with your LA (live actor) listings (i.e. Ving Rhames). Most live actors have only had sparse experience in the field of voice acting and thus are not suitable picks.
If your entire list had been made up of voice actors, I probably wouldn't have nitpicked.

liamo
06-24-2005, 10:03 AM
i think they should just keep it subtitled cause pretty much anytime someone messes with the language of the original it gets messed up so keep it japanese with english subtitles and don't bother with the gob/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gife hollywood actors who wouldn't know what to do if you gave em a final fantasy game

meowwl
06-24-2005, 11:59 AM
I don't have any hangups about Japanese vs English VAs, I like both for the most part, and tend to watch anime twice, once dubbed and once subbed...But the voices for Sephiroth and Vincent Valentine sound so incredibly sexy! I would personally rather cast Steven Jay Blum as Cid (he tends to voice more layed back, informal characters), David Kaye as Vincent Valentine (plays more cool and distant characters, like Vincent in the game), and Crispin Freeman as Sephiroth (ambivalent characters, low, powerful voice, with a touch of harshness, like you might find in someone who's had to shout out orders on a battlefield), but I doubt they'll be that sensible..

Big D
06-24-2005, 12:04 PM
My beef was with your LA (live actor) listings (i.e. Ving Rhames). Most live actors have only had sparse experience in the field of voice acting and thus are not suitable picks.Ving Rhames gave a good performance in Driver 3, so he's had some VA experience... but it might take some work for him to sound like he's as big as Barret. Maybe it's just me, but I've long imagined Barret with a deeper, rougher voice - more like Mr T or Michael Dorn.
But everyone's got their own preferences, so no cast list will please everybody. So long as the acting is good, I'll be happy with whoever.
I've got no qualms with either English or Japanese voice acting... I'm subtly amused by the general presumption that there are no bad Japanese voice actors, and few good English ones.

MushroomZOMBIE
06-25-2005, 12:03 AM
meowwl-Sephiroth and Vincent Valentine sound so incredibly sexy!

They are supposed to!!!!:p :lol:

nihowma buffet
06-25-2005, 01:03 AM
steve burton plays jason morgan on general hospital.

Serria
06-25-2005, 03:59 AM
I don't watch a lot of anime, but there are some shows that I just like the English acting better. Such as Cowboy Bebop (though both are fine) and Rurouni Kenshin. I highly dislike Kenshin's Japanese voice. *shrugs* To me, his English voice sounds more realistic.

I agree though that there can be better dubbing both ways. Again, there are plenty of anime/video games that the Japanese is better, IMO. But it seems like some fans like the Japanese voice acting better JUST BECAUSE IT'S JAPANESE (cough otaku cough) and that seems a bit biased to me.

Again though, so far I'm pretty much liking the AC Japanese voice acting. Same cast as from Kingdom Hearts, right? I liked most of the American Kingdom Hearts actors... well, not Mandy Moore, she made Aerith sound really breathy, but I thought Cloud was very good.

TheAbominatrix
06-25-2005, 04:00 AM
It's highly unlikely the KH voice actors for Cloud, Aerith, and Yuffie will be returning to do AC.

Mercen-X
06-25-2005, 04:23 AM
Maybe it's just me, but I've long imagined Barret with a deeper, rougher voice - more like Mr T or Michael Dorn.Mr. T "Believe in the ball and throw yourself!" :p

You canNOT compare Mr. T's voice to Michael Dorn's. Just to make sure you know.

Azure Chrysanthemum
06-25-2005, 05:03 AM
I don't watch a lot of anime, but there are some shows that I just like the English acting better. Such as Cowboy Bebop (though both are fine) and Rurouni Kenshin. I highly dislike Kenshin's Japanese voice. *shrugs* To me, his English voice sounds more realistic.

Funny, I always thought English Kenshin sounded like a rapist or a cult leader. I HATE Rurouni Kenshin english voices.

Another thing to remember with subtitles is that since lip synchronization isn't as big a concern, especially given the size of Japanese words vs. their English equivalent, you can generally do a better, more precise translation with subtitling.

I agree though that there can be better dubbing both ways. Again, there are plenty of anime/video games that the Japanese is better, IMO. But it seems like some fans like the Japanese voice acting better JUST BECAUSE IT'S JAPANESE (cough otaku cough) and that seems a bit biased to me.

You've made this statement several times yet I've not seen any evidence at all in this thread to support it. Obviously there are people like that, but as nobody in this thread is saying that, it's mighty irrelevant, is it not?

Big D
06-25-2005, 07:08 AM
You canNOT compare Mr. T's voice to Michael Dorn's. Just to make sure you know.I know they sound different, but they both have voices that can be big and powerful - Barret-esque, you might say. While they're different from each other, they could both suit Barret.

Mercen-X
07-07-2005, 10:41 AM
Yada.

And Void, have you ever heard the Japanese version of Saiyuki? Nails on a chalkboard.

Kakashi509
07-09-2005, 03:47 AM
steve burton plays jason morgan on general hospital.
first I hear the N'sync stuff and now the soap stuff what is it coming to! If they mess up sephiroths voice they know the consicounces. Attack of the fangirls

Dante WolfWood
07-09-2005, 04:11 AM
It's highly unlikely the KH voice actors for Cloud, Aerith, and Yuffie will be returning to do AC.
I agree with abominatrix, the only reason they were able to get celebrity voices for kingdom hearts was bc of the pull of disney in america....square enix could have never done it alone.

Ralith
09-14-2005, 10:15 PM
i think getting the VAs from kingdom hearts to do the voice for FFAC is reasonable
since the english voices in KH are great~!
just hope Steve Burton will do Cloud again in AC, coz he's also doing the VA for the Cloud in KH2

Shoden
09-14-2005, 10:57 PM
I'd like some decent VA all the Japanese VA is perfect except for Barret and Cid IMO.

It'd be funny if Spehiroth or Vincent got bad VAs heh Fangirls will pummel SE to shreads