PDA

View Full Version : Naming Your Characters

Sasquatch
05-09-2005, 03:46 AM
What do you name your characters, as you go through the game? Do you keep their original names, or name them after friends and yourself, or famous people, or what? Do you use different names every time you play through, or keep the same ones?

I've done a lot of things, from keeping their original names, to naming them after friends, family, or famous people. I've even played through a couple times with everybody having the same name, or all the guys having the same name and the three ladies having the same name. Although, that does get confusing every once in a while.

nik0tine
05-09-2005, 03:48 AM
I always keep the names the same.

DJZen
05-09-2005, 03:49 AM
They don't allow me enough spaces to use the names I want...

Sasquatch
05-09-2005, 04:51 AM
I'd have to admit, it's a little weird with 14 people named Adam. Especially when somebody learns a spell or levels up, and you don't know which one it is. Or when you want a specific Esper or piece of equipment, and all it says is that Adam has it equipped.

TheAbominatrix
05-09-2005, 06:36 AM
I change it up rather often. Sometimes I give them their Japanese names, or leave their names alone. Other times I name them after friends, or give them a theme of something I like. Like everyone gets a name from FarScape, or a particular anime or whatever.

Captain Maxx Power
05-09-2005, 10:35 AM
They don't allow me enough spaces to use the names I want...

Same here. Obviously they didn't consider players may want to name their characters Taggart McCool.

Devourment
05-09-2005, 11:42 AM
I only custom name my characters if I can think of a appropriate name.
On the game that I'm playing now I've named some acharacters as follows:

Edgar - Aldao
Terra - Yulis
Shadow - Xios
Sabin - Veras.

All the others I just leave the same, unless I can think of a decent enough name to give them. I mostly correct the names because they're all in capitals in default, & it really annoys me. I accidentally forgot to write Cyan correct & left it CYAN, & it looks so stupid now as the other normally written & this is all in capitals so it looks like this:

Aldao
Yulis
CYAN
Xios

:rolleyes2

Armisael
05-09-2005, 12:14 PM
Yeah me too..I just don't like change them..
And plus i have to admit that Square have done a good job with the names!^_^

Devourment
05-09-2005, 02:39 PM
I could hardly see them naming some of the characters Tracy & Gail, or perhaps Rodney or Bill... So the names have been chosen are what would fit in a fantasy style game.

omnitarian
05-09-2005, 04:17 PM
I keep the names, but change them to lower case. "Terra" and "Locke" looks so much better than "TERRA" and "LOCKE".

Flying Mullet
05-09-2005, 04:25 PM
I keep the names, but change them to lower case. "Terra" and "Locke" looks so much better than "TERRA" and "LOCKE".

Strider
05-09-2005, 06:56 PM
Exactly.

JaytodaP
05-09-2005, 08:50 PM
I name everyone swears. Its so funny
"ASS leveled up"

Takara
05-10-2005, 12:46 AM

Yeah, stupid automatic upper case names... Makes me twitch.

Sasquatch
05-10-2005, 04:03 AM
When I leave their names the same, I always change the all-caps, too. It's annoying.

TheAbominatrix
05-10-2005, 04:48 AM
Yeah, all caps is dumb.

Rase
05-10-2005, 06:23 AM
Usually keep the same, though sometimes I change them to various things, depending on mood.

-N-
05-10-2005, 06:27 AM
Recently, my friend and I played through it 2-player and named everyone in the game after people we knew that kinda resembled their personalities. I was Setzer, and my friend was Umaro. :p

Sasquatch
05-10-2005, 04:53 PM
Recently, my friend and I played through it 2-player and named everyone in the game after people we knew that kinda resembled their personalities. I was Setzer, and my friend was Umaro. :p

When I do that, Umaro becomes "Dad". I'm usually Edgar or Sabin.

Sunny Rabbiera
05-17-2005, 01:27 AM
I usually have a pattern to naming my chars in the game:
main male characters: Char
main female characters: Sunny or Luna depending on thier roles [the tougher type girls like Tifa or Celes I call Sunny and the weaker type like Aries or Terra are named Luna.]
secondary male characters: Lunk [For large built characters like Barret or Steiner] Lancer [for slim types, like Edgar] Alfred for older types [Cyan] Guile [for Sabin] Satan [shadow] Zechs [for Setzer]
the others vary on my mood

Classic Axe
05-17-2005, 07:55 AM
When I first had the game, I made a very stupid move and renamed Shadow D.Nimb. There is a long story behind it, but it really bugged me and made me wish that namingway would come back.

Anyways, now I usually do these changes:
Sabin - Sabine
Locke - Theef
Gogo - Arshabl
Terra - Tera
Relm - Rhelm

Zechs
05-18-2005, 05:53 AM
I sometimes used Shadows original name, Which was Clyde (Flash backs).

PunkRockLocke
05-23-2005, 06:53 PM
I just give my characters names that i think are cool and fit their personalities. I just try to not have too many names starting with the same letter. Sometimes i use made up names but this time i went for real names.

Terra: Serena
Locke: Smith (haha, locksmith! get it?)
Edgar: Lionel
Sabin: Darian
Shadow: Siluet
Celes: Ruby
Cyan: Calvin
Setzer: Spade

etc etc. i used the names of my favourite bands once, but it just turned out weird.

"Th.Usd uses Pearl!" It's just strange.

stragee
05-25-2005, 10:02 AM

I'd have to agree. I got attached to the characters with names just as they were by default

Redfield
05-25-2005, 09:53 PM
Erm...
i called Terra Sakura (cus she turns pink)
Celes: leena
i can't remember the others... i think i called Edgar Shugo... but ti kept Locke the same cus thats cool...^^

Zhou
05-26-2005, 12:07 AM
I keep all the names as defult. Unless I currently hate someone by that name, or some certain name partiulary annoys me.

KoShiatar
05-26-2005, 06:17 PM
This makes me think about a non-Final Fantasy funny thing that happened to me a pair of years ago.
I had started to play Breath of Fire, it was my first RPG ever and I didn't have any idea of how to go through it. So when the game prompted me to enter a name, I thought it was a name to distinguish saved games one from another and I typed "Fra1". That turned out to be the hero's name!!
Until much later in the game, when I got to the underwater village where you could change party people's names, I kept on reading things like "It was all because of Fra1 if Nina was saved!" :p

Imperia
05-26-2005, 06:30 PM
Nowadays, I keep their names, but when I was younger, I liked changing their names. The only ones I can remember are Delia (Celes), Chad (Sabin), and Keaton (Strago).

Levian
05-26-2005, 11:29 PM
TERRA = Terra
LOCKE = Locke
CELES = Zelda (Oh, come on. They're twins.)
GAU = Tidus (I have yet to see a difference)
SETZER = Leprsy (He looks like he has leprosy in the menu picture)
CYAN = bitch (for comedic relief in conversations)
MOG = Mog
STRAGO = slut (see CYAN)
RELM = female genitalia with four letters starting with a C (see CYAN)
GOGO = whtevr (whatever)
SABIN = Sabine (At least that's a real name, even if it is a female name. wtf is Sabin? lolz:rolleyes: )
EDGAR = Pimp

Big D
05-27-2005, 11:50 AM
SABIN = Sabine (At least that's a real name, even if it is a female name. wtf is Sabin? lolz:rolleyes: )Sabin is an old, obsolete masculine version of Sabine.

stragee
05-27-2005, 01:09 PM
I dont really see how the last post was relevant to the main topic but ok...remember that camping without beer is just sleeping outside.

Asura
06-03-2005, 12:25 AM
I always put myself into the Final Fantasy games. It's dorky, I know...but I just love to do it. :D In the past I have changed names to the names of my best friends. I remember when I did that in Final Fantasy 7 when I named Aeris after my best friend... :( She isn't my friend anymore, though. She suddenly stopped talking to me for some odd and mysterious reason...

I never name them after famous people...mainly because I don't feel any real connection with anyone famous. It's only fun to do that sort of thing when you feel a connection with another person. Usually, though, I don't change them except for the one character I choose to have my own name.

The Unknown Guru
06-05-2005, 10:13 PM
My first rule when naming is to NEVER put their whole name in uppercase. It bugs me. My second rule is that if somebody could be called "Ed" then i always call them Ed, like Edgar. I called Terra "Moe" because i didnt like her original name. I also named Cyan "Kain" (after the dragoon from FFIV) because i think Cyan is a pretty dumb name.

Hroth
06-05-2005, 10:36 PM
I always put myself into the Final Fantasy games. It's dorky, I know...but I just love to do it. :D In the past I have changed names to the names of my best friends. I remember when I did that in Final Fantasy 7 when I named Aeris after my best friend... :( She isn't my friend anymore, though. She suddenly stopped talking to me for some odd and mysterious reason...

I never name them after famous people...mainly because I don't feel any real connection with anyone famous. It's only fun to do that sort of thing when you feel a connection with another person. Usually, though, I don't change them except for the one character I choose to have my own name.

That sucks but i'm guessing it must be cause Aerith died. So since she died she left your life in the game and it might've impacted on your real friend as crazy as it sounds. If you give alot of importance to things that don't really exist it could impact on things you relate them to. Me and my theories...

Christmas
04-18-2022, 04:31 AM
I name every character Quinas. Oh the hilarity when the group of Quinas went for an adventure. :bigsmile: