PDA

View Full Version : How Much Do You Love FFVIII?

Yuffie514
05-09-2005, 05:05 AM
IT'S THE BEST.

what a moment. everytime we get a new Final Fantasy game, my brother and i can't keep our eyes off Final Fantasy. the opening scene to Final Fantasy VIII was one of the most breath-taking.

Gwelenguchenkus
05-09-2005, 05:16 AM
I also love it a lot. Every time I play it it gets better, and I don't know why. I love the card game, and the romantic story. I love the art design, and the music. It's such an exciting game, as well. I love everything about it. I'm going to replay it, in fact, within a couple of days ^_^

Yuffie514
05-09-2005, 05:23 AM
it's like watching a movie premiere before it actually comes out.

DMKA
05-09-2005, 05:34 AM
I didn't used to love it, but I always liked it. NOW I love it though. :)

*awaits rampant FFVIII bashing through sarcastic remarks to begin*

Excelsior
05-09-2005, 06:34 AM
i used to make it an annual tradition of mine to beat it once a year. however, i love the game so much, once a year is not enough. now i usually beat it 2-3 times a year.

Skyblade
05-09-2005, 06:48 AM
Check out my avie and the wonderful sig made for me by the incredibly talented Starry Relm to see what I think of the game. I love the romantic storyline, I love the gameplay, I love the gunblade, I love the GF, I love the characters, I love the music, I love...

nik0tine
05-09-2005, 07:08 AM
FF8 is one of the better games ever made, in my opinion.

Kamrusepas
05-09-2005, 09:43 AM
More than anything.

DocFrance
05-09-2005, 01:42 PM
It's alright, though I've come to appreciate it more recently than when I first played it. Could have been a lot better though, had they removed a certain character from the cast.

Armisael
05-09-2005, 02:02 PM
the opening scene to Final Fantasy VIII was one of the most breath-taking.
I agree 100%!
Generally the whole game(storyline,FMV,characters,BS etc.)is excellent..

Could have been a lot better though, had they removed a certain character from the cast.
:laugh:
Judging from your sig,i think i know what you mean!^_^

Kamrusepas
05-09-2005, 09:48 PM
Wee, let's all hate Rinoa together :D

black shadow
05-09-2005, 09:49 PM
in my opinion, its the 2nd best ps1 game ever. I love the fmv's. its like watchin a movie.

Kamiko
05-09-2005, 10:36 PM
It's so flipping awesome! The characters are well defined and the gameplay is schway! Plus the Junction system is just so... wow... *sigh*

DocFrance
05-09-2005, 10:47 PM
Wee, let's all hate Rinoa together :D
:love:

UltimateSpamGrover
05-09-2005, 10:56 PM
How much do I love it? I hate it.

Destai
05-09-2005, 11:47 PM
Its my second favourite FF. I can still remember that faithful christmas eve when I opened the wrapping. Final Fantasy VIII limited edition boxset. It had the game, Plenty of FFVIII memory card stickers, a white memory card, a double sided poster, a memory card holder, and an extra large Final fantasy VIII Tshirt(which I used as a sleeping bag on more than one occasion) I still use the box. *nostalgic*

rubah
05-09-2005, 11:51 PM
I like it a good deal. It's my favorite and neither the newest or most recent nor the first that I've played.

DMKA
05-10-2005, 01:51 AM
Wow, I wish they'd of released a cool boxset thing like that over here.

We only got the game and you could buy the guide separately. =/

Slade
05-10-2005, 05:29 AM
I love ffVIII. Its my favorite playstation game ever :D (yep and that includes ps2 games aswell)

BackRoomKid
05-10-2005, 05:38 AM
<---------------------------THIS MUCH----------------------------------->

truly one of my favs...it's about number one on my list

dam, destai, you lucky S.O.B to get that box set...i would kill for that (maybe not kill...possibly beat up a poor kid...lol....THAT is how much i love FFVIII)

Kamrusepas
05-10-2005, 07:50 AM
Final Fantasy VIII limited edition boxset. It had the game, Plenty of FFVIII memory card stickers, a white memory card, a double sided poster, a memory card holder, and an extra large Final fantasy VIII Tshirt(which I used as a sleeping bag on more than one occasion) I still use the box. *nostalgic*

*is sooooo incredibly jealous*

ZuZu
05-10-2005, 10:09 AM
*is sooooo incredibly jealous*

Same here! Damn!
Final Fantasy VIII was my first FF-game. It looked first booring game when my brother was playing it but now I'm hooked on too....
FF8 is one of the best.... even the junction system, well... I don't really love it...

crazybayman
05-10-2005, 01:53 PM
Amazing game. Definitely my favorite on the PS1. It was my first FF since FF1 and FF2 Mystic Quest, and I became addicted to FF all over again.

The fact that it was a little darker, made it a little more realistic, and comparable to real life than other FF's.

The Junction system is awesome, as is drawing magic from monsters (easy way to stock up), the use of gunblades, the side quests like Deep Sea Research centre, and the extra GFs were amazing.

Truly an awesome game. :D

BlackRibon
05-11-2005, 12:32 AM
the story is incredibly nice ( and paranoid ) the characters are very nice, i love the junction system i love the gfs.
i love everything about this game :love: :love: :love:

CloudSquallandZidane
05-11-2005, 06:11 AM
Hands down the greatest.

My name is...something..?
05-11-2005, 06:35 AM
It's amazing!!

Short post?
Why yes, yes it is.
Does it get the point though?
Why yes, yes it does.

Master.Pug
05-11-2005, 02:54 PM
out of the first nine ff's, its the 9th-best, position 9, even FFMQ ist much better, it sucks! it isn't even worth to throw it at a lousy cat who ate your nice beef steak!

well, I wanted to say its ok, but the others are alot better^^

Kamrusepas
05-11-2005, 07:28 PM
Well that was mature.

The True seeD
05-11-2005, 09:33 PM
Oh No...you guys got me started on FF8. Now I'm going to rant about how awesome it is for hours...Seriously though, if you met me in real life and brough up FF8... I would probably never shut up. But, to save me hours of typing, i'm gonna try to sum it up in 1 word...amazing.

Dragon Ash
05-11-2005, 10:06 PM
FFVIII was my first FF game. I love it more than words can say. My friends at school used to be so sick of hearing about it that they still make fun of me for it to this day. And just when I'd managed to curb my habbit... :(

BG-57
05-11-2005, 10:17 PM
My favorite FF, second only to Tactics. :greenie:

Great music, GF's, characters, monsters, and locations.

Junctioning is cool.

The SeeD ranking system sucks but you can't have everything.

Luthien
05-12-2005, 03:46 PM
FF8 was the first Final Fantasy I played, and it´s my favourite game of all times. *makes a reverence* :love: :love: :love:

Master Quan
05-12-2005, 05:42 PM
how much do you love FFVIII?
Will all my heart!
What would you do if the game didn't exist?
I'd kill my self!

Ripped from the simpsons

Bruce666
05-15-2005, 02:15 PM
i love it very much, its my fav game of all time, and im glad to be a part of your community :)

squall088
05-16-2005, 05:40 PM
(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)( L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L )(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L) (L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)( L)(L)(L) I just love FF8 soooooo damn much

Alexander
05-17-2005, 12:51 AM
Uh. I like it. But I don't love it. FFVII and FFIX are waaaay better, IMO. But it isfun. It's a pity FFVIII is so easy. T~T

Dreddz
05-21-2005, 11:58 AM
well, when I first played it I kinda skimmed through it. I got got on with the story instead of actually exploring and stuff. But last year I replayed it and found a truely unique game. Very enjoyable
But, ive only completed it twice which is the least times ive complted a FF game. I completed FF3 3 times and I didnt even understand it
And in comparison to FF7 which ive completed 13 times ive neglected the game alot.

AerisIsMyGod
05-21-2005, 01:02 PM
FF VII > FF VIII > FF VI > FF V > the rest > FFX

in my opinion

The only problems with this game was the lack of characters and the whole memory loss thing

BackRoomKid
05-21-2005, 11:18 PM
It's a pity FFVIII is so easy. T~T

i agree with that...pretty easy...the story line, to me, was what made up for it

Kamiko
05-22-2005, 03:16 AM
I'D EAT MY OWN STOMACH FOR THIS GAME!!
(maybe)

Alexander
05-22-2005, 03:19 AM

i agree with that...pretty easy...the story line, to me, was what made up for it

To me the storyline (WHAT STORYLINE, DAMN? There is only a time compressing! T___T) worsened it. XD
What made up for it was the OSTs. Eyes on Me just owns. Liberi Fatali. Etc. Instant Win, with Fatality included. XD

The Anarchy Angel
05-26-2005, 08:45 PM
Sound track rules. Story line rules. Characters rule. Limit breaks rule. Hell, it rules: better still, it OWN3D the rest of them. It's a land mark game that's just priceless, except on ebay.

BackRoomKid
05-26-2005, 09:48 PM
Eyes On Me and the song that plays when the two gardens are attacking each other are great....i'm sure there's more I could think of but I'm playing FFX right now

Abraxas
05-27-2005, 07:35 PM
I'm just amazed of how much this game impressed me. And I'm not an easy impressing guy!
In February I broke up with my boyfriend, and it was very very tough to make this choice.
My brother bought an used PSI to a friend (I've been always a PC player), and I started playing FFVIII.
It almost made me forget how much I was suffering about my ended relationship!
Videogames can be a sort of therapy, indeed!

I finished it a couple of days ago. I just didn't want it to end...
It's funny how things like killing Omega Weapon or collecting all the cards can make you feel so good!
And, the most amazing of all, this is a game that has 6 years old!

No doubt the destiny reserved it for the right moment for me.

Rinen
05-28-2005, 12:04 PM
I was very amazed by this game. Purely wonderful. Everything was interesting, so different. The storyline, I loved it, even though people I know don't really like it. It's been one of my favorite games ever made. I started playing Final Fantasy with FF5, or was it FFMQ. I can't remember. I loved playing this game so much, I even wrote song lyrics that goes along with Roses and Wine. But, I can't find it, but I could try to recreate it, it wont be as great as it was before, but yeah.

Milky
06-02-2005, 06:20 PM
FF7 is my fave but I would give FF8 the 10/10 rate, if only they could mix FF7 and FF8 2gether. I liked the way u cud get the limit breaks in FF7 not FF8 but the GF stuff in FF8 is the best!!! :love:

matheussquall
06-08-2005, 07:31 PM
I love final fantasy viii so much much much but I don`t love the comprension fo time.

Hey I am brazilian,somebody ther speak PORTUGUESE,I dont speak English very well

Buaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh somebody help me please!!!

Oh man,what can I do to get a gamestation?I must got chocobos of ffviii.

EDIT: Please use the edit button instead of double posting. -Murder

XxSephirothxX
06-10-2005, 08:32 PM
FFVIII sucked. It had the worst storyline I've seen in an RPG I've actually devoted time to. Apparently I'm one of the few people who realized how abysmal the story really was.

Skyblade
06-10-2005, 11:12 PM
FFVIII sucked. It had the worst storyline I've seen in an RPG I've actually devoted time to. Apparently I'm one of the few people who realized how abysmal the story really was.

Apparently you're one of the few people (left) who fail to realize how stupid it is to come in and criticize FFVIII in a forum full of FFVIII fans. You don't like FFVIII. Fine. THEN STAY OUT OF THE FRELLING FORUM, DUMB@$$!!! Just saying that the plot is "abysmal" is pointless. You give absolutely no evidence to support your claims, you just try to pass yourself off as superior because you can recognize the poor plot. You know, when 50,000 people disagree with you, the chances are that you are the one who is incorrect, not them. And since you apparently cannot support your claim, and are simply making obnoxious remarks to be inflammatory, I suggest you shut up and let us comment on how much we love the game, and why, in peace.

Sepho
06-11-2005, 08:38 AM
With all my being I love thee, that which is called FF8, a name emblematic of pristine allurement. How erring it is that you have to endure such prodigious prejudice. Though the stalwartness you exhibit in the face of the naysayer is remarkable.

What faults have you, truly? A convoluted plot, they say? Why, I say let us examine the tale of thy elder kinsman, that which bears the name FF7. For I would, be it not for the taboo surrounding such a proposal! And why is that so? Why has circumstance allowed such proceedings? Why instead is judgment of FF8, divine FF8, not forbidden? What governs the actions of Fate, she who displays not kindness, but cruelty? What are the motives surrounding her actions?

What of the assertion of the lifelessness of the primary figure? Are not he who is named after yet another of Mother Nature’s phenomenons equally as quiescent? Are they not rivals in their lack of profundity? I dare say so! How is this overlooked? Questions I seek, yet answers I fear I may never uncover. I’m left only to ponder.

And finally, why not delve into the matter of the evildoer? What is it about a prolonged, lanky knife that solidifies its wielder as unequivocal in the realm of intrigue? Or perhaps it correlates more to the silvery mane one would sooner surmise to chance upon atop the crown of a filly? But then again, Ultimecia was pretty lame.

Apparently you're one of the few people (left) who fail to realize how stupid it is to come in and criticize FFVIII in a forum full of FFVIII fans. You don't like FFVIII. Fine. THEN STAY OUT OF THE FRELLING FORUM, DUMB@$$!!!

Azar is free to say whatever he wants about the game. Just because it may be of your opinion (and mine, I might add) that the game was good, that doesn't mean that his opinion isn't just as valid in spite of being in opposition to the majority view displayed in this thread. I'd like to think that he'd be able to freely share it without enduring any sort of abuse. I'd also have to say that if only those who liked FF8 posted inside said forum, it'd be a mighty boring place, just as life would be uneventful if everyone agreed on everything.

Just saying that the plot is "abysmal" is pointless. You give absolutely no evidence to support your claims, you just try to pass yourself off as superior because you can recognize the poor plot. You know, when 50,000 people disagree with you, the chances are that you are the one who is incorrect, not them. And since you apparently cannot support your claim, and are simply making obnoxious remarks to be inflammatory, I suggest you shut up and let us comment on how much we love the game, and why, in peace.

No one is correct or incorrect. Whether or not the plot is "abysmal" is a subjective judgement, and as what you describe as claims are in reality his opinion, he doesn't have to justify it with support, though he's free to do so. Whether or not he posted just to start an argument is immaterial (though if that was truely his intention, it was a dismal effort though it evidently doesn't take more than that) . His post could have easily been overlooked. I'd say you are out of line for your comments.

IAmSephiroth
06-11-2005, 06:30 PM
FFVIII is my favorite and the only thing the stinks is that someone stole my copy and left the case :cry: .......

ThroneofDravaris
06-11-2005, 06:41 PM
I love this game more than I love Taffy, and I'm a man that likes his Taffy...

silentenigma
06-11-2005, 08:10 PM
How much do I love FF VIII? Almost as much as I love VII and VI.

Mittopotahis
06-12-2005, 07:48 AM

Apparently you're one of the few people (left) who fail to realize how stupid it is to come in and criticize FFVIII in a forum full of FFVIII fans. You don't like FFVIII. Fine. THEN STAY OUT OF THE FRELLING FORUM, DUMB@$$!!! Just saying that the plot is "abysmal" is pointless. You give absolutely no evidence to support your claims, you just try to pass yourself off as superior because you can recognize the poor plot. You know, when 50,000 people disagree with you, the chances are that you are the one who is incorrect, not them. And since you apparently cannot support your claim, and are simply making obnoxious remarks to be inflammatory, I suggest you shut up and let us comment on how much we love the game, and why, in peace.

Hehehehe... GO SKY!

Although I don't agree with some parts of it, you did stand up for what you believe, which is a good sign of...something or other... But people do have their own opinions, so he isn't wrong, he is just different.

No one is correct or incorrect.

Or, as Squall says:

Right and wrong are not what separate us and our enemies. It's our different standpoints, our perspectives that separate us. Both sides blame one another. There's no good or bad side. Just two sides holding different views.
Does anyone know what part that is from?

You see, by using a quote, I have backed up what Sepho has said, and also I have shown just one quality of the many in FFVIII...it shows the realism of the characters. Every person has their own attitudes, values and beliefs. So, by adding morals to their characters, they have created realism in them, making it all the better game!

I love the game, but would love it even more if my 4th disk worked....:(

Abraxas
06-12-2005, 06:22 PM
The part come just before General Caraway explains the plan to kill Edea.
The talk develops between Zell and Squall, meanwhile all them are walking to the action's area.

XxSephirothxX
06-12-2005, 06:27 PM
Well, I didn't really want to get into this, as it's not going to change anyone's opinions on the game. I wanted to state the fact I thought the game was pretty bad, and that the story was the worst I'd seen in a Final Fantasy game. Now, I haven't played the first few, and considering the lack of depth in general of NES games, you could probably say that VIII had a "better" story than, say, the original Final Fantasy. But while games such as Final Fantasy V had fairly simple plots, lacking the character development, detailed story, and general sophistication of later RPGs, they at least had a solid (though sometimes silly) and often charming story, characters with personality, and a quest that, while not being especially original, was at least entertaining.
But I digress. That's not really the point. The point is, I thought Final Fantasy VIII had a horrible plot. This is for several reasons. The first of which is the orphanage scene. Nearly every main character in the game suddenly realizes that he or she is from the same orphanage as his/her friends! What a remarkable coincidence. "Well, it's okay, right? I mean, Square put the GFs in there, and they cause memory loss, so it's all good." Bull/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif. It's as if the guys at Square got halfway through the game and then suddenly realized that the characters really didn't have anything to do with one another. "How can we fix this? They have no real bond! Oh, I know--how about we make them all come from the same orphanage, but their memory was erased, so they don't realize it until later! That's so awesome!" Don't bash me saying "OMG IT DIDNT HAPEN TAHT WAY SQUARE NEW WHAT TEHY WUR DOING" because I'm just saying it felt completely forced and was totally stupid. This was the point of the game at which I started hating FFVIII. Before that, I'd been playing it for hours, and not really liking it, but tolerating it. Still, it had so many other problems.
Squall, in my opinion, was a bad lead character. He was way too angsty for me and his little depressed thoughts were annoying and didn't really build his character at all. To me, he always came across as fairly flat and devoid of a well-built personality. In that sense, he's rather like Cloud. I'm not going to say FFVIII is the only one with problems--VII had loads of them, and the rest have something wrong with them in at least one way or another--but VIII's affected the game the most. VII stayed enjoyable, intriguing, and engaging throughout, even if the story wasn't the best. Cloud was extremely devoid of personality, at least for a time, but that didn't affect the overall quality of the game as much as it could have. Squall's romance with Rinoa felt very forced and just didn't seem to work at all.
Again, though, I digress. We come across other characters, and they're all nearly as bad as the last. Seifer? Give me a break. Apparently a lot of people love Seifer, but I saw him as a really pathetic fill-in for a genuine villian. Ultimecia is even worse. Sure, you can rattle off all the horrible things she's doing, how she's controlling this and sucking life from that, but it all comes down to what's in the game. She simply doesn't have that presence in the game that makes for a good villian. VIII totally blew it in the villain department. Any game that's charging you with saving the world should give you a good reason, and not just hint at it. People hate on Sephiroth all the time--I often wonder if this has sort of become an "anti-mainstream" thing, and you're not a hardcore Final Fantasy player if you don't hate on Sephiroth. Well, at least Sephiroth was well explained, interesting, and had a hell of a commanding presence. That's more than you can say for
anyone in FFVIII.
Oh, and we have Selphie, too. I didn't think it was possible to create such an annoying character in a video game. She certainly has a personality--problem is, it's really damn annoying. Irvine was okay, but he wasn't really developed to any extent. I actually didn't hate Rinoa as much as many people did, but I was probably overlooking her bitchy, dumping-people-for-Squall side in a desperate attempt to find a character with some personality to actually like. I did find that in Zell. He was, I felt, the one good character in the game. Yes, he was simple, but he was funny and a stand-up guy, with a genuine personality to boot. Too bad he didn't get more screen time.
Oh, and the battle system? I really didn't like it. This is probably partially my fault, but I did actually attempt to do random battles in the game, thus increasing my level just enough to make the late bosses exceedingly difficult. And god, were those summons looooong. I didn't like the idea of drawing magic at all, and I didn't like junctioning my magic to characters, but it wasn't the worst system out there. I'd still prefer the old-school equipment-based systems like VI and IX, though--especially IX's. I loved learning abilities from equipment, even if you had to keep the stuff on a little longer than you would have otherwise.
Hell, I didn't even like the overall feel of FFVIII. It was as if it was trying to fit in present-day technology and future technology. You could drive CARS. What the smurf. And the Gunblade? Oh, come on, that has to be one of the stupidest ideas for a weapon. Square needs to pick one time-frame and stick with it for an entire game. If the main character carries a sword, don't make it futuristic! Make it a true fantasy title, with swords and sorcery and whatnot. If you want guns, fine, but make it at least set at the present-day technological level or beyond.
The flashback thing with Laguna and co. was all right, but it still felt forced and just didn't seem to work.

I guess I just feel as though many people who love Final Fantasy VIII overlook its rather strong and glaring flaws. Long before I played the game, two of my friends told me again and again how it was bad. I thought this was general opinion, but I decided that maybe they were wrong. I played it myself, and came out of it hating it way more than they did. I found so many flaws and things I didn't like, I was sure that nearly everyone hated the game--I sure thought they should, anyway--but, imagine my surprise when I came onto this forum and found that there are more people who are absolutely be head-over-heels in love with this game than there are people who dislike it. I guess it bothered me, and maybe I have a chip on my shoulder as a result.

Ah, yes, the obligatory "I hate you because you hate my favorite game, die die die" post. Well, as Sepho said, wouldn't the forum--and this thread--be totally boring and meaningless if it was just about VIII kicking ass and why? Sounds like crap to me. If that's the way you want it, though, you could try to petition the staff to make this a "We love FFVIII club" instead of an all-encompassing FFVIII forum. So, now I've backed up my obnoxious remarks with what I'd consider a pretty good bit of reasoning. I'd expect most of you to dismiss it, since you, of course, love the game, but maybe I've at least fleshed-out a bit of the reasoning behind my opinion that FFVIII is a really bad game. There were probably even more things about it I didn't like, but I've tried to supress most of the memories I have from playing it, and it was a good year ago. And I'm sure far more than 50,000 people disagree with me, but, then, George Bush won the election, and I certainly think every single person who voted for him was dead wrong--and that's in the millions.

So, I will not shut up and sit by, as I'd like to express my opinions as much as the next guy and not get flamed for them. But, to be honest, it doesn't really bother me. We're still arguing over a video game, (and a stupid one :P) so I don't honestly care who hates me for dissing it. Instead, though, come up with reasons why FFVIII is really GOOD, instead of calling me a dumbass.

I'd also like to thank Sepho for standing up for me, despite the fact we have different opinions on the matter. As Voltaire once said, "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
It's ironic, though, that this is such a long explanation, no one's likely to actually read it. :p

Skyblade
06-12-2005, 08:18 PM
Oh, sorry about that, everyone. I was in a bit of a bad mood, and I overreacted. I'll try to keep it from happening again. My apologies.

Sepho
06-13-2005, 12:33 AM
No worries, my friend. Let's all have waffles :)

Markus. D
06-13-2005, 01:15 AM

To me the storyline (WHAT STORYLINE, DAMN? There is only a time compressing! T___T) worsened it. XD
What made up for it was the OSTs. Eyes on Me just owns. Liberi Fatali. Etc. Instant Win, with Fatality included. XD

i cant beleive you ddnt enjoy the whole time compression process.

Mittopotahis
06-13-2005, 02:27 AM
Instead, though, come up with reasons why FFVIII is really GOOD, instead of calling me a dumbass.

Nah, I'd rather contradict your opinions

I wanted to state the fact I thought the game was pretty bad, and that the story was the worst I'd seen in a Final Fantasy game. Now, I haven't played the first few, and considering the lack of depth in general of NES games, you could probably say that VIII had a "better" story than, say, the original Final Fantasy. But while games such as Final Fantasy V had fairly simple plots, lacking the character development, detailed story, and general sophistication of later RPGs, they at least had a solid (though sometimes silly) and often charming story, characters with personality, and a quest that, while not being especially original, was at least entertaining.

Well, I havent played many Final Fantasys ENOUGH to get the story line, but I will mention some I do know... I will put them in spoiler tags so no one goes off at me for ruining the game.

FFX: A big whale is destoying the world. Countless and Countless armies try unsuccessfully to destroy this beast. Then a summoner with 6 guardians come along, and kill it....Yes, that is very believable. Millions of men have died, trying to stop this beast, and then and over-protected summoner and her friends destroy it....

FFCC: Mhmmm...Suddenly, the air becomes deadly with Miasma, and you got to go find Mhyrr from trees to keep your crystal going...That is basically no plot, let alone a good one...And then you suddenly get this mystery element, where you need to intepret a riddle given to you by some wierd clownish-yuke and go kill some inanamite things with magic. (which I still dont know how to do!)

FFII: I am not even sure what this plot is about....You uneccasarily go to all these dungeons, maybe for one thing, like a piece of mythril or a sled, and all this time, this guy is building up a big airship, and destroys NEARLY EVERY CITY IN A FEW SECONDS....and now I am stuck in it, cant get out, and I am too weak (health wise) to go any further, so I am stuck...They need to think of things like that...

On the other hand, FFVIII: It is a tale of one Squall Leonheart, a cadet in Balamb garden's SeeD, and his story. He, and his team of SeeDs, complete many missions, trying to rid of Sorceress Edea. But it is more than just Edea. Edea is being possessed by another Sorceress, Ultameica, who is from the future. Ultameica needs a body in the past, so she possesses other Sorceresses from this time. She is trying to complete Time Compression, inw which all time would be...well, compressed and she would be the ruler of everything. Our Hero's love-influence Rinoa is also a sorceress. So, the team devise a devious plan to take out Ultamecia. Meanwhile, Squall and Rinoa's relationship grows into something that you can usually only see in true life. Love.

Sorry, I have been a bit biased there, but I am just pointing out all the bad things, like you have done to FFVII. (Sorry to all those X, CC and II fans out there, I do love the games, I am just being like Azar.) There are two ways you can look at it. The normal way, or the contradictive way. If you look at it the contradictive way, which you have, you pinpoint every single thing bad about the game, which you have. Anyway, I am going to prove those wrong now!

Nearly every main character in the game suddenly realizes that he or she is from the same orphanage as his/her friends! What a remarkable coincidence. "Well, it's okay, right? I mean, Square put the GFs in there, and they cause memory loss, so it's all good." Bull. It's as if the guys at Square got halfway through the game and then suddenly realized that the characters really didn't have anything to do with one another. "How can we fix this? They have no real bond! Oh, I know--how about we make them all come from the same orphanage, but their memory was erased, so they don't realize it until later! That's so awesome!" Don't bash me saying "OMG IT DIDNT HAPEN TAHT WAY SQUARE NEW WHAT TEHY WUR DOING" because I'm just saying it felt completely forced and was totally stupid. This was the point of the game at which I started hating FFVIII. Before that, I'd been playing it for hours, and not really liking it, but tolerating it. Still, it had so many other problems.

You have contradicted yourself. They all cant remember, because of the GF's. That's exactly the point! I am sure if all of us came from the same Orphanage, and then waiting outside was a brain damaging clinic, which gave us all amnesia, I am sure 15 years later, we wouldn't remember that. That's what the GF's do. It acts as an amnesia to everyone who uses it. (doesnt Irvine explain how it does it at that same scene?) I wouldn't say they forced it into the game, it went in nicely. forced it in would be:

*In the middle of a mission*
Irvine: Hey Squall, do you know that all of us barring Rinoa lived in the same orphange
Squall: No, I didn't, the GF's must of made us forget it. Oh well.

Now that is forcing it in. That makes it look like how you are describing it. I think it was great how we got an insight into everyones' past.

Squall, in my opinion, was a bad lead character. He was way too angsty for me and his little depressed thoughts were annoying and didn't really build his character at all. To me, he always came across as fairly flat and devoid of a well-built personality. In that sense, he's rather like Cloud. I'm not going to say FFVIII is the only one with problems--VII had loads of them, and the rest have something wrong with them in at least one way or another--but VIII's affected the game the most. VII stayed enjoyable, intriguing, and engaging throughout, even if the story wasn't the best. Cloud was extremely devoid of personality, at least for a time, but that didn't affect the overall quality of the game as much as it could have. Squall's romance with Rinoa felt very forced and just didn't seem to work at all.

Again, you have contradicted yourself. You say that Squall sucks and all that, and how he is just like Cloud. Then you say how cool Cloud is. So if Cloud is the same as Squall, and Cloud is cool, but Squall sucks...what?
Squall is a lone wolf. He likes to be left alone, and gives the silent treatment to everyone. He doesn't like emotions at all, so he doesn't express any. That was, until he got to know Rinoa. It wasn't immediate, it took him up to the third disk to actually stop denying he loved her. So I can't see how you think it was forced. IT TOOK THEM NEARLY THREE DISKS TO DO IT! And you also said they didn't build up Squall's character. Squall is the most complete character you are ever going to see. I have already said his character. I believe it is very realistic and well-built. And his love for Rinoa, it developed him into a new him. he cared for Rinoa, and he loved her. He even risks his life for her. He lets out alll of his emotions that he has boxed up for so long, and just let out all his love on Rinoa that he didn't give on anyone else.

We come across other characters, and they're all nearly as bad as the last. Seifer? Give me a break. Apparently a lot of people love Seifer, but I saw him as a really pathetic fill-in for a genuine villian.

He wasn't meant to be a major villian. The major villian is Ultemecia. Seifer is only Squall's rival. And he becomes the sorceresses' knight. But, he is not meant to be the main villian. Only as a sub-villian. It would bee so much easier and so much more BORING without Seifer. "Oh, lets go attack the unguarded sorceress" Seifer was there as a back up, and to make the game much more interesting. Not as a main villian.

Ultimecia is even worse. Sure, you can rattle off all the horrible things she's doing, how she's controlling this and sucking life from that, but it all comes down to what's in the game. She simply doesn't have that presence in the game that makes for a good villian.

I do kind of agree with you there. She wasn't there until the last disk, but that couldn't be helped, since she was in the future. But she was there for the entire game, just in different bodies. For the first two disks, she was there as Edea. Then in the thrid disk, there was mainly talk about her, but she was there as Rinoa for part of it. She was a great villian, just trying to destroy the world, and then rule what was left of it. Just a power-hungry, powerful sorceress, which makes a great villian.

VIII totally blew it in the villain department. Any game that's charging you with saving the world should give you a good reason, and not just hint at it.

They didn't need a reason. Some people have the ability and the willpower to do so, and hey have a heart. If the world was coming to an end, and you were the only one who could save it, would you? If not, you don't have a heart...

Oh, and we have Selphie, too. I didn't think it was possible to create such an annoying character in a video game. She certainly has a personality--problem is, it's really damn annoying.
Selphie is a happy, joyful girl. It is just adding realism and intrest to the game. She was not annoying, she was happy and and loud. So if you find the happy and loud ones annoying, then you must find the quieter ones better. May I suggest, Squall? Oh, thats right, you don't like him either. So, usually, if you don't like something, you sould like the opposite of it. So, if you don't like Squall, you should like Selphie, and if you dislike Selphie, that means you like Squall. So either, you like both of them, or the likes, dislikes cancel eachother out, and you have no opinion on them. So if you have no opinion on them, stop badmouthing them! They are all great characters! All of them!

Irvine was okay, but he wasn't really developed to any extent.

Yeah, ok, I will agree with you there.

Oh, and the battle system? I really didn't like it. This is probably partially my fault, but I did actually attempt to do random battles in the game, thus increasing my level just enough to make the late bosses exceedingly difficult. And god, were those summons looooong. I didn't like the idea of drawing magic at all, and I didn't like junctioning my magic to characters, but it wasn't the worst system out there. I'd still prefer the old-school equipment-based systems like VI and IX, though--especially IX's. I loved learning abilities from equipment, even if you had to keep the stuff on a little longer than you would have otherwise.

I really don't see what is wrong with a hard boss battle. It makes the game so much more enjoyable, unless it is so hard you can't beat it with 50 tries...But always remember that they are not impoosible. There is always a tactic to make the most hardest bosses simple. You just need to find it. And when you do finally beat a hard boss, you get this great feeling of pride in you, and you feel really happy, and then you want to do more of the game. If the bosses were easy, it would get boring, and you wouldn't be intrigued to play it any further. There was only 1 summon I thought was too long (take a guess which ;)[It goes for 1 min 40, I timed :)]) but it was good, because then you can max out boost, and it was worth the wait, as the damage went into 5 digits. I loved the draw system. Much better than having MP. And it fitted in perfectly with the wonderful junctioning system. With the junction system, you can tactically plan out your characters for bosses (maybe if you junctioned magic, the bosses would of beem easier ;)). Just say, if you came up to a boss which used pain on you in FFVIII, what would you do? you would junction as much Pain, Blind, Silence, and Bio to your Status Defence! Just say if you had that same situation in FFVII, too bad! It was a great addition I believe. Yes, the weapons are good, not better though. And they are quite unrealistic. "Oh, lets get this weapon, I will be able to this suddenly!" Junctioning is much better.

Hell, I didn't even like the overall feel of FFVIII. It was as if it was trying to fit in present-day technology and future technology. You could drive CARS. What the smurf. And the Gunblade? Oh, come on, that has to be one of the stupidest ideas for a weapon. Square needs to pick one time-frame and stick with it for an entire game. If the main character carries a sword, don't make it futuristic! Make it a true fantasy title, with swords and sorcery and whatnot. If you want guns, fine, but make it at least set at the present-day technological level or beyond.

I think it was a good combination, and, again, made the game less boring. "we have a whip in it! We must make all of the weapons revolve around that! lets have all these weapons *bring out a scroll of old, boring weapons* How boring is this gonna make our game?"
"Oh heck, lets just make it more interesting"
And thats exactly what they have done. They have made the game more intresting, by including a variety of elements of all time era's to make it one big, cool time! And i cannot see what you have against the Gunblade. It added fun into the game, by having to press R1, and without it, how boring would Renzokuken be? It added intrest. normal swords get so boring after a while, so they wanted to make a twist. Anyway, if you have such a thing against Gunblades, font press R1...and set Renzokuken to Auto. There we have it! A sword! And what is wrong with Cars? They are just away to avoid enemies if you want, and get around quickly. If you don't like them DONT USE THEM!!!

The flashback thing with Laguna and co. was all right, but it still felt forced and just didn't seem to work.

It worked really well, and it wasn't forced...Sorry I am getting brain dead...

I guess I just feel as though many people who love Final Fantasy VIII overlook its rather strong and glaring flaws.

No, we don't overlook them, we ignore and accept them. They aren't that big, and they don't ruin the game. Like I said earlier, its not that the game is riddled with flaws, you just look at it in a contradictive perspective, finding every small thing and making a big fuss out of it.

Eveyone has their own opinions, and i respect all those against me, but I love this game and there is nothing which can change my mind about it!

Kamiko
06-13-2005, 02:56 AM
I'D EAT MY OWN STOMACH FOR THIS GAME!!
(maybe)
How funny, that's exactly the way I feel!!

XxSephirothxX
06-13-2005, 04:35 AM
Yuripa, you somehow managed to misconstrue a good bit of what I posted. For starters, it's irrelevant how much the stories of the other games suck, as I wasn't talking about them. I didn't like FFX's story at all, CC has virtually no story, and FFI was one of the games I referred to here:

Now, I haven't played the first few, and considering the lack of depth in general of NES games, you could probably say that VIII had a "better" story than, say, the original Final Fantasy. But while games such as Final Fantasy V had fairly simple plots, lacking the character development, detailed story, and general sophistication of later RPGs, they at least had a solid (though sometimes silly) and often charming story, characters with personality, and a quest that, while not being especially original, was at least entertaining.
The way you played up FFVIII could be done with any of the games. You hype it up as if it's waaay better than the rest, but, at the very, very best, it's a "good" RPG storyline. And I didn't pinpoint every bad thing about the game. I'm sure I could fine other ones if I went back and played it, but I don't have some vendetta against the game that would cause me to play it just to find a few more faults.

You have contradicted yourself. They all cant remember, because of the GF's. That's exactly the point! I am sure if all of us came from the same Orphanage, and then waiting outside was a brain damaging clinic, which gave us all amnesia, I am sure 15 years later, we wouldn't remember that. That's what the GF's do. It acts as an amnesia to everyone who uses it. (doesnt Irvine explain how it does it at that same scene?) I wouldn't say they forced it into the game, it went in nicely. forced it in would be:

No, I haven't. True, the GFs caused memory loss, but the entire scenario was far too coincidental to be a good plot element. It was downright ridiculous. This is what I said in the first place, you just misenterpreted it. My point was simply that it was an incredibly bad way to create relationships between the characters. They could have done it much more subtly or in a way that wasn't just downright stupid.

Again, you have contradicted yourself. You say that Squall sucks and all that, and how he is just like Cloud. Then you say how cool Cloud is. So if Cloud is the same as Squall, and Cloud is cool, but Squall sucks...what?
Squall is a lone wolf. He likes to be left alone, and gives the silent treatment to everyone. He doesn't like emotions at all, so he doesn't express any. That was, until he got to know Rinoa. It wasn't immediate, it took him up to the third disk to actually stop denying he loved her. So I can't see how you think it was forced. IT TOOK THEM NEARLY THREE DISKS TO DO IT! And you also said they didn't build up Squall's character. Squall is the most complete character you are ever going to see. I have already said his character. I believe it is very realistic and well-built. And his love for Rinoa, it developed him into a new him. he cared for Rinoa, and he loved her. He even risks his life for her. He lets out alll of his emotions that he has boxed up for so long, and just let out all his love on Rinoa that he didn't give on anyone else.

Dude. Read the post. I didn't mention a single thing about Cloud being cool. Despite the fact that Squall was a lone wolf, he was still pretty flat. And if Squall is the most complete character I'm ever going to see, why did it take you all of a few sentences to describe him? Yeah, thats really complex. And besides, I didn't say Squall sucks. I said I thought he was a bad lead character, he was too angsty, and his depression was annoying. Honestly, how much personality is in: "Well he was a lone wolf at first but gradually he fell in love with this girl and then he wasn't."

He wasn't meant to be a major villian. The major villian is Ultemecia. Seifer is only Squall's rival. And he becomes the sorceresses' knight. But, he is not meant to be the main villian. Only as a sub-villian. It would bee so much easier and so much more BORING without Seifer. "Oh, lets go attack the unguarded sorceress" Seifer was there as a back up, and to make the game much more interesting. Not as a main villian.
I didn't say he was. I said he was a pathetic fill-in for a genuine villian. He simply wasn't much of a badguy.

I do kind of agree with you there. She wasn't there until the last disk, but that couldn't be helped, since she was in the future. But she was there for the entire game, just in different bodies. For the first two disks, she was there as Edea. Then in the thrid disk, there was mainly talk about her, but she was there as Rinoa for part of it. She was a great villian, just trying to destroy the world, and then rule what was left of it. Just a power-hungry, powerful sorceress, which makes a great villian.
No. Kefka is a great villian. He's twisted, ruthless, and kills many, many people on his spree for world domination. Kefka has personality. He has presence. (read BoB's thread for a discussion of villian presence in FFVIII.)My point was, you don't really get a villain to have, or to honestly fight against, until virtually the end of the game, and that's bad storytelling, and it's a bit stupid. Just being power hungry and powerful doesn't make the villain great. Where's the character, man?

VIII totally blew it in the villain department. Any game that's charging you with saving the world should give you a good reason, and not just hint at it.
They didn't need a reason. Some people have the ability and the willpower to do so, and hey have a heart. If the world was coming to an end, and you were the only one who could save it, would you? If not, you don't have a heart...
Apparently you didn't understand what I meant. I was talking about the game, and therefore talking about people playing the game, not the characters themselves. Without a good villain to fight against, there's little to drive you to play the game unless there's a fantastic plot, which, as I've stated, I didn't think this game had.

Oh, and we have Selphie, too. I didn't think it was possible to create such an annoying character in a video game. She certainly has a personality--problem is, it's really damn annoying.
Selphie is a happy, joyful girl. It is just adding realism and intrest to the game. She was not annoying, she was happy and and loud. So if you find the happy and loud ones annoying, then you must find the quieter ones better. May I suggest, Squall? Oh, thats right, you don't like him either. So, usually, if you don't like something, you sould like the opposite of it. So, if you don't like Squall, you should like Selphie, and if you dislike Selphie, that means you like Squall. So either, you like both of them, or the likes, dislikes cancel eachother out, and you have no opinion on them. So if you have no opinion on them, stop badmouthing them! They are all great characters! All of them!

I really don't see what is wrong with a hard boss battle. It makes the game so much more enjoyable, unless it is so hard you can't beat it with 50 tries...But always remember that they are not impoosible. There is always a tactic to make the most hardest bosses simple. You just need to find it. And when you do finally beat a hard boss, you get this great feeling of pride in you, and you feel really happy, and then you want to do more of the game. If the bosses were easy, it would get boring, and you wouldn't be intrigued to play it any further. There was only 1 summon I thought was too long (take a guess which ;)[It goes for 1 min 40, I timed :)]) but it was good, because then you can max out boost, and it was worth the wait, as the damage went into 5 digits. I loved the draw system. Much better than having MP. And it fitted in perfectly with the wonderful junctioning system. With the junction system, you can tactically plan out your characters for bosses (maybe if you junctioned magic, the bosses would of beem easier ;)). Just say, if you came up to a boss which used pain on you in FFVIII, what would you do? you would junction as much Pain, Blind, Silence, and Bio to your Status Defence! Just say if you had that same situation in FFVII, too bad! It was a great addition I believe. Yes, the weapons are good, not better though. And they are quite unrealistic. "Oh, lets get this weapon, I will be able to this suddenly!" Junctioning is much better.
I wasn't really complaining about the boss battles being hard. I was just saying I didn't like the battle system, and hard boss battles were a result of the way I played the game, which was my fault. Junctioning was okay, but I simply didn't find it especially enjoyable.

I think it was a good combination, and, again, made the game less boring. "we have a whip in it! We must make all of the weapons revolve around that! lets have all these weapons *bring out a scroll of old, boring weapons* How boring is this gonna make our game?"
"Oh heck, lets just make it more interesting"
And thats exactly what they have done. They have made the game more intresting, by including a variety of elements of all time era's to make it one big, cool time! And i cannot see what you have against the Gunblade. It added fun into the game, by having to press R1, and without it, how boring would Renzokuken be? It added intrest. normal swords get so boring after a while, so they wanted to make a twist. Anyway, if you have such a thing against Gunblades, font press R1...and set Renzokuken to Auto. There we have it! A sword! And what is wrong with Cars? They are just away to avoid enemies if you want, and get around quickly. If you don't like them DONT USE THEM!!!
The first few sentences of that make no sense. And, really, it comes down to preference. And "not using it" isn't an option. The fact that cars and gunblades exist in the game was, in my opinion, bad, because they were trying to combine fantasy and futuristic periods. I don't like that. Needing to be able to press the R1 button to add "interest" isn't an excuse.

I guess I just feel as though many people who love Final Fantasy VIII overlook its rather strong and glaring flaws.
No, we don't overlook them, we ignore and accept them. They aren't that big, and they don't ruin the game. Like I said earlier, its not that the game is riddled with flaws, you just look at it in a contradictive perspective, finding every small thing and making a big fuss out of it.

o·ver·look
2. To ignore deliberately or indulgently; disregard.

It's not like I went into the game planning to find faults with it. All of the faults I've listed were enough to ruin the game for me. I thought they were pretty big, as is pretty obvious from the huge post I made listing reasons I don't like this game. Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go eat some waffles.

Mittopotahis
06-13-2005, 06:45 AM
No comment to the lot

Skyblade
06-13-2005, 07:35 AM
Well, I'm not nearly patient or awake enough to read all of that little arguement right now. Instead, I skimmed it, and I will add a few thoughts of my own. Any criticism after that I will try to read fully.

First, on Yuripa's comments on the various FF's:
FFX: The "overprotected summoner" wasn't really the key to Sin's demise. Auron was. Having been with Braska when he obtained the Final Aeon, he knew what was going on and what had to be done to stop it. He knew that no matter how many times the Final Aeon was summoned, Sin would keep coming back. Tidus helped by appealing to the few emotions that Jecht had left.

FFCC: I didn't have much of a problem with the plot of this one, I just really hated the chalice idea. That damned moogle got tired too easily. Still, you shouldn't contradict yourself either.

You said you don't need a reason to save the world. While its origins may be secret (and I think that gets cleared up at the game's end), there is little doubt that miasma is killing the world. So, you don't need a reason, just go get rid of it.

FFII: You're not complaining about the plot, you're complaining about the gameplay style. Don't confuse the two. You didn't mention any of the plot, except for when the Dreadnought unleashes all hell on the cities.

Next up: Seifer. Seifer isn't the game's main villain. Seifer is the game's secondary villain. The equivalent of Reno (FFVII), Seymour (FFX), and Leblanc (FFX-2). In that role he does quite well. While how he fairs against Reno is questionable, he beats Seymour and Leblanc hands down, IMHO.

Azar, if you don't like the combining of fantasy and sci-fi, how did you enjoy FFVII? It had just as much sci-fi in it as VIII, unless you forgot the cars, cannons, rifles, robots, and motorcycles.

Finally: My note on personalities. Most personalties can be described in a few sentences. Oftentimes we do this, because it is a lot easier than writing a three page paper on each person. That doesn't mean that there isn't more to the person, we just sum things up. It's one of the features of the human mind. There is a lot more to Squall than simply "Well he was a lone wolf at first but gradually he fell in love with this girl and then he wasn't". If you like, PM me or start a new topic and we'll talk about it there.

(Oh, and Azar? Don't do that to yuripa again. Another definition of overlook is "fail to notice", and there are even more than just the ones you and I mentioned. Do you know which definition yuripa meant? No? Then don't try something like that. That leads to misunderstandings, which in turn leads to people getting their heads torn off [at least, metaphorically].)

Mittopotahis
06-13-2005, 10:54 AM
Sorry, I don't have a PS2, and have only played parts of X, so I don't know much about it :p

FFCC: I didn't have much of a problem with the plot of this one, I just really hated the chalice idea. That damned moogle got tired too easily. Still, you shouldn't contradict yourself either.

You said you don't need a reason to save the world. While its origins may be secret (and I think that gets cleared up at the game's end), there is little doubt that miasma is killing the world. So, you don't need a reason, just go get rid of it.

Point realised and taken. Sorry!

FFII: You're not complaining about the plot, you're complaining about the gameplay style. Don't confuse the two. You didn't mention any of the plot, except for when the Dreadnought unleashes all hell on the cities.

True...very true...I was scraping for ideas :D

Next up: Seifer. Seifer isn't the game's main villain. Seifer is the game's secondary villain.
That's what I said, wasn't it?

Finally: My note on personalities. Most personalties can be described in a few sentences. Oftentimes we do this, because it is a lot easier than writing a three page paper on each person. That doesn't mean that there isn't more to the person, we just sum things up. It's one of the features of the human mind. There is a lot more to Squall than simply "Well he was a lone wolf at first but gradually he fell in love with this girl and then he wasn't". If you like, PM me or start a new topic and we'll talk about it there.

I agree.

Skyblade
06-13-2005, 12:24 PM
Next up: Seifer. Seifer isn't the game's main villain. Seifer is the game's secondary villain.
That's what I said, wasn't it?

Yup. Believe it or not, my post was not directed entirely at you. ;)

XxSephirothxX
06-14-2005, 12:00 AM
Right, well, I've said my bit, so you guys can go back to loving FFVIII in peace. :)

Hikaro Takayama
06-14-2005, 03:25 AM
Well, when I first played FF VIII I didn't like it at all, however since I decided to give it another go (some 5 years after I first tried to play it), It's my second favorite game for the PC (right after Sid Meier's Civ III), and one of my favorite Final Fantasies of all time. At first, I though the gunblade was totally lame, until I saw the opening scene again, and realized exactly how it was supposed to work (and why it was so hard to master): it doesn't fire regular bullets, rather it fires explosive charges out through holes in the blade which, if said blade is sticking inside of one of the bad guys, would cause a world of hurt... quite a nasty close-quarters weapon, really.

As for the combination of sci-fi and fantasy, that's what attracted me to the FF series in the first place. I love mixing technology and magic in stories and games (which is why Rifts (r) is my favorite pen and paper RPG). In addition, the background info on this game was so in-depth that I had no trouble with adding the main factions and important people/events to a certain Final Fantasy total conversion I'm working on for Civ III (as a matter of fact I've just finished rendering a Laguna Loire leader head I made for said game using Poser).

As for the charachters: I liked most of the charachters, even Selphie (although she could be a bit annoying at times), although through the Missile base mission and reading Selphies page on the Balamb Garden server, I realized that she wasn't actually an airhead, but just really out-going and a bit hyper. Laguna was also one of my favorite charachters, and his Desperado limit break is, IMNSHO the coolest looking limit break in the entire series (the first time I saw him swinging on the rope and gunning down the bad guys, I could hear the Indiana Jones theme song running through my head :lol: ).

All in all, VIII was a good game.

Tigerheart
07-07-2005, 12:55 AM
aww, man this is thr best! has the best graphics of it time. there are a few things i don't liek, but i still love it anyway. what i like most is the summons. awesome.

the lynch clone
07-17-2005, 05:06 AM
i think it's hands down the best of the series. the story is amazing, especially the fact that the characters are all REAL people, not like mages and talking lions and /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif. i've played it through about 30 times now and i never get bored of it. the FMVs are really good for a playstation game and rival some PS2 games in graphics. FFX is really good, and i wish square-enix would re-vamp FF8 for the PS3 or something with awesome graphics, that would rule.

fantasyjunkie
07-17-2005, 07:41 AM
My favorite FF game is 7, my second is 8, and it's a REALLY close second. the scene where Rinoa hugged Squall after he rescued her was just amazing. All his gruffness just melted away in that moment. Remember when he was saying to his friends that nothing alse mattered besides getting her back? I loved that part. And the fishermans Horizon song was just so cool. sorry, I'm getting carried away :lol: