PDA

View Full Version : final fantasy 8 bad graphics......

flyingkidjoe
05-09-2005, 06:40 AM
ok, i need a little help. i just got final fantasy 8 and really wanted to play. it installed ok and every thing, but when i play the graphics are VERY poor, the movie clips are great but the game play stinks!

is there any way to fix it?

i have a 2.8 gig intel, windows xp, gforce fx 5200 video card, viewsonic monitor and i got a lot of other goodies, i tryed messing with the config but i dont know why it looks so bad, please help..

thanks

Skyblade
05-09-2005, 06:46 AM
...Define "really poor"... How do the graphics compare to those of say, FFVII? FFX, X2, and Kingdom Hearts all had much better graphics than VIII (since VIII was originally for the PS, and the others were for PS2, that's understandable). Or did they seem bad even in light of that information?

nik0tine
05-09-2005, 07:11 AM
Do they look worse than the FF8 screenshots? If not, than thats what you get, buddy.

flyingkidjoe
05-09-2005, 07:27 AM
lets just say it looks like a gamboys graphics and i know they should be better, but i dont know how to make them better, i want to cry

Vyk
05-09-2005, 07:58 AM
It's probably your color settings. Check the manual to see what it needs to be. Otherwise I'd try 32-bit true color or something. Though I'm not techie, but I would assume everything else is running fine if the game actually plays o.o

DMKA
05-09-2005, 09:02 AM
Yeah, it's definitely some 3D Acceleration/video related issue, because the PC version has great graphics (superior to that of the PSX version atleast).

Yuffie514
05-09-2005, 03:26 PM
in battle, sometimes the character's faces look messed up. in-game graphics should be more like BB2. BB2 has one of the best in-game character designs.

flyingkidjoe
05-09-2005, 05:14 PM
ok guys, my graphics setting's for the game and my computer as high as it gets.

but the game graphics suck, i mean i KNOW they are suppose to look better, it's like there just messed up on my computer, i already tryed updating the game with the gfroce patch and i updated a video card drivers.

it still suck! is there a setting i need to change to make it look nice??

please help, i really want to play the game!

Destai
05-09-2005, 05:19 PM
Im pretty sure it looks worse on the pc than Play station.

Vyk
05-09-2005, 05:26 PM
Maybe there's an option on the game's configuration/menu for the color settings? You should take a printscreen so we can see what you're talking about. I can't imagine the actual game polygons going whacky. So I'm concentrating on color/bit problems.

Skyblade
05-09-2005, 05:33 PM
The computer version of FFVII had a configuration application that let you change the graphics resolution of the game. I don't remember if FFVIII had a similar program, but it's worth a shot...

flyingkidjoe
05-09-2005, 05:35 PM
ok, this is weird, i took a screen shot of the game play and when i looked at the screen shot it looks good, but when im playing the game it looks like crap. i have the setting for the colors high and stuff. the resolution for the game play is set at 640 x 480 16 Bpp, any way to make it higher?

YukiKiro
05-09-2005, 05:59 PM
FFVIII was originally a playstation game. i believe the PC version is just a direct translation. according to most games today, yeah, the graphics to FFVIII suck. but according to graphics from the time they were great. why should graphics matter anyways? the graphics for FFVII suck more than the graphics for VIII, and people still play that game all the time.

flyingkidjoe
05-09-2005, 06:03 PM
dude, if you saw what im looking at you wouldn't want to play it, the grophics are suppose to look better then what im seeing, i hear the the graphic aren't all that good but what im seeing is like a game from like the 80's.

i dont need you hear some one saying what ur saying, i need some one to help me fix this prob, some one please help that knows what there talking about.

Tigerheart
05-09-2005, 06:06 PM
FFVIII was originally a playstation game. i believe the PC version is just a direct translation. according to most games today, yeah, the graphics to FFVIII suck. but according to graphics from the time they were great. why should graphics matter anyways? the graphics for FFVII suck more than the graphics for VIII, and people still play that game all the time.

I don't see how they manage good CG graphics with bad ingame graphics.

YukiKiro
05-09-2005, 06:08 PM
i'm not preaching, i just wanted to identify the problem in my own manner. anyways i don't know what to tell you. you have a fast computer and everything it seems but the game doesn't translate well durring gameplay, is that it? perhaps you set the resolution and everything too high. try toggling the settings up and down, if that still doesn't work, i don't know what to tell you.

flyingkidjoe
05-09-2005, 06:19 PM
i did that, i have done about every thing you can do, like i said, the highest it's leting me set it at is 640 x 480 16 Bpp, and it looks bad, i need to find a way to make it look better, any one got a good config file for FF8 they can send me?

flyingkidjoe@yahoo.com

Holy_Aeris
05-09-2005, 06:33 PM
I actually think the Battle graphics are bettr in FF7 than FF8, but thats my opinion!

flyingkidjoe
05-09-2005, 06:39 PM
listen to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they probly are!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but im having a prob and they look bad!!!!!!!!!!!!

i need some one to help me fix this prob!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the graphics i have in the game right now look worse then any final fantasy game for ps1,ps1, or any other, i just need hep fixing this...................

Pedrolot
05-09-2005, 07:43 PM
graphics dont play the main role when it comes to making a 'great game' however if it IS a hardware issue that your on about then i apologise :p

Vyk
05-09-2005, 08:14 PM
You people need to give the dude a little more credit. I can tell there IS something wrong with the way the game is rendering on screen. It's not because he's some close-minded goof that thinks hi-res 3D graphics on some uber Unreal-engine is the only way to go. It sounds like Windows is playing the game in Safe mode or something (you know, 16 colors in which it wouldn't look good, even compared to older games). Again, this is why I'm focusing on the color itself. Though it's odd. I realize TV standard is/was 640x480. But I don't get why a computer game would mandate that resolution... I'm guessing it's your monitor. It's driver isn't capable of translating the graphics or something. I dunno...

DMKA
05-09-2005, 09:07 PM
I've seen both, and no, the PC graphics kick the PSX graphic's ass.

FFVII is the other way around.

flyingkidjoe
05-09-2005, 09:24 PM
ok, listen here, i dont care if the gropihics are better for PSX, the graphics im seeing are a poblem, a BIg one. i did just get a new monitor and it's a big one. i tryed to change the resolution, but the config that comes with FF8 stinks, dosen't let u change much, any one got any idea's?

DMKA
05-09-2005, 09:34 PM
Have you tried reading the booklets and help files that came with the game? There would be so many less computer trouble questions if more people did that.

flyingkidjoe
05-09-2005, 09:48 PM
yes, i did that, still no help, i even found a phone number that gives help with the game but the phone number didnt work, i have done some many thins and it's not working, im going to try using a another monitor and see what happens, brb

flyingkidjoe
05-09-2005, 10:06 PM
i tryed a new monitor and the graphics still looked really bad, im guessing that final fantasy 8 dosen't work good with win exp or sume thing like that

rubah
05-09-2005, 11:56 PM
I don't see how they manage good CG graphics with bad ingame graphics

It's simple. The CG graphics aren't that great either. The compression noise in them likes to kill me some times:) (and the really low resolution;_;; makes me want to get the pc version just to rip the fmvs)

But since they're not rendered onteh fly, more information can be put into them. The in-game graphics are recreated every time that you play the game. They can only be as good as the ps1 will allow them to be, and sometimes less.

This is one of the many reasons people would claim supremacy for the ps2 the gamecube or the x-box a few years ago, the power they had to render graphics (other things were like the time it took to do that and stuffxD I just remember some obsessive gamer's essay on the x-box from eighth grade)

Gwelenguchenkus
05-10-2005, 03:03 AM
You have the same graphics card that I do, and my PC version runs fine.

Try going into the graphics settings and changing a few things, it might help. GeForce has it's own graphics control center, so if altering all of the game and resolution settings wasn't helping, then this should help.

I woudn't know WHAT to change exactly.

Tell me, are you playing a ripped version of the game or are you playing one that you bought? There might be errors in the game if it's ripped, I don't know.

BTW, this is totally unrelated, but I think the PC of FF8 is HORRIBLE. The graphics are fine, but the sound is so bad it makes my ears bleed. The resolution and quality settings look really bad on a monitor for some reason. I'd much rather play the PSX version, but that is my opinion.

DMKA
05-10-2005, 06:25 AM
BTW, this is totally unrelated, but I think the PC of FF8 is HORRIBLE. The graphics are fine, but the sound is so bad it makes my ears bleed. The resolution and quality settings look really bad on a monitor for some reason. I'd much rather play the PSX version, but that is my opinion.
You need to do some system tweaking then, because I played the PC version belonging to my friend, and it was amazing over the PSX version.

And yes. the resolution and compression of the FMVs on the PSX version is horrible. :(

Gwelenguchenkus
05-10-2005, 12:01 PM
You need to do some system tweaking then, because I played the PC version belonging to my friend, and it was amazing over the PSX version.

And yes. the resolution and compression of the FMVs on the PSX version is horrible. :(

Well, The PSX version on my television looked pretty nice, but it's not as high-res as a moitor. I could make out the pixels on the highest setting on the PC version, even if it was better quality than the PSX, simply because my monitor resolution is too good. It just didn't look right to me.

but that wasn't the main problem... I was mostly upset with the sound quality. There's no excuse why it had to be so bad. They could get away with it for FF7 because the sound quality for the PSX version wasn't all that great to begin with, but the FF8 transition wasn't too great. The midi files used in the game make my ears bleed.

flyingkidjoe
05-10-2005, 06:28 PM
well thanks all. i even tweaked with the gforce settings. no luck. the sound on mine works great.

the reson my FF8 looks bad is cuz it's only letting me set the res low, any one know the file it keeps the res in so i can change it in the file?

Vyk
05-10-2005, 07:53 PM
Eh I see what you're getting at. Go to the folder it installed in and go to Search. Do the box that says "Files containing this text:" and type in one of the settings or something.. x_X; not sure if that'll work. Hopefully someone else can offer you more straightforward info. Only reason I'm offering anything is 'cause most people don't seem to realize you have an actual problem

Destai
05-10-2005, 08:52 PM
I've seen both, and no, the PC graphics kick the PSX graphic's ass.

FFVII is the other way around.Now Im just confuzzled. Ive seen screens of the PC version of VII and the PC's graphics look much more smoothed out compared to my own PS game. Ive even heard some guy vow never to play VII's PS version again after playing the PC because of its graphics. I can see a big difference to my PS version of VII in this screen. But Ive read the Pc version of VIII makes the graphics look terrible because the charcter pixels stand out much clearer. Edit: Ive looked at some VIII screens and now Im pretty convinced what I read was that the Pc game made the ps games graphics look terrible because the PS pixels stand out much more ^^: *sweatdrop*

Vyk
05-10-2005, 09:57 PM
It's odd that a real help thread turns into a generic graphics comparison debate... ;P

Reddragon
05-10-2005, 10:00 PM
Is that some horizontal lines are shown during the game???

Gwelenguchenkus
05-11-2005, 08:02 AM
Seriously though, I have no idea why your FF8 graphics look so horrible. There's obviously something wrong but i don't know why. I think it's more than horizontal lines.. and I've had the 'horizontal line' problem before too, but I can't remember what the problem was..
?

Belix
05-23-2005, 09:33 AM
When you say it looks bad, what do you mean. Is it being displayed in 4 colours? Is the background very blocky? (The background textures ARE very blocky).

I have been messing about in the settings trying to get mine to work properly. Even since upgrading to a nvidia 6600 from a 5600, I get lots of black holes everywhere in these backgound textures. I'll post a screeny to show what I mean. But, while mucking about in the setting I discovered you can force anti-aliasing if you make a profile for FF8. After this, the rendered bits (like the characters, fight scenes etc) are WAY better. unfortunately the text and menus go to pot, but hey i can live with that. Unfortunately, in all my mucking about I have not found out why the background textures are mucking out.
Will try and dowload the patch again...hopefully i downloaded the worng one. Very unlikely, but my last solution.

Belix
05-23-2005, 09:14 PM
Some examples of what I'm talking about

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v728/FlipZam/Snap1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v728/FlipZam/Snap4.jpg

Belix
05-27-2005, 07:27 AM
Has anyone here installed FF8 on a system with a nvidia 6000 series graphics card? Plese let me know if you have. I may just have a dud card. Anyone, Anyone?

Belix
05-31-2005, 08:45 AM
Hmmm. Seems to be a problem with "8-bit Paletted Textures". Perhaps the 6000 series of cards no longer supports them.