PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy vs the RPG community

wuglendei
05-09-2005, 08:54 PM
Now final fantasy is a very well know rpg series. every rpg fan has played at least ONE final fantasy and probely enjoyed it. Now sure not alot of rpgs get translated to the US but hell we make do with what we get. And all we get is final fantasy and some other rpgs that arent as good.

Now what is some of ur favorite rpgs
THey an be for any of the system and compare that game to the final fantasy series....

Jebus
05-09-2005, 08:59 PM
Suikoden series. Especially II.

Suikoden II is the best RPG. EVER.

Raistlin
05-09-2005, 09:13 PM

:love:

Suikoden, Lunar, and Breath of Fire are all series that are better than FF and get overshadowed by FF.

KoShiatar
05-09-2005, 09:24 PM
I'm a Breath of Fire fan, but I have to say they simply are...different. They have another atmosphere. I'm sure there are RPG's better than some Final Fantasy episodes, but I wouldn't say so for every game in the series.

wuglendei
05-09-2005, 09:52 PM
I really think that ARC THE LAD series is..well better then most of them FF....i really enjoyed the way the arc the lad story was continued in all the games..well except the fourth one kkee

Azure Chrysanthemum
05-10-2005, 12:27 AM
Also good are the Xenogears and the Xenosaga series, as well as the Shin Megami Tensei series and the Dragon Warrior series.

Cless
05-10-2005, 12:37 AM
I think Tales of Phantasia is better than any Final Fantasy.

Black Mage
05-10-2005, 12:47 AM
I think Tales of Phantasia is better than any Final Fantasy.

Cless knows what he's talking about here.

As for series, however, Suikoden and Breath of Fire are both deserving of Final Fantasy's fame.

Raistlin
05-10-2005, 01:00 AM
I'm a Breath of Fire fan, but I have to say they simply are...different. They have another atmosphere. I'm sure there are RPG's better than some Final Fantasy episodes, but I wouldn't say so for every game in the series.
The only exception being FFT. The rest are sub-par where other RPGs are concerned.

Cless
05-10-2005, 01:17 AM
Now sure not alot of rpgs get translated to the US but hell we make do with what we get.

You know, you should really count yourself lucky concerning the amount of RPG's realeased in the US. Especially when you compare it to the number of RPG's the Europeans have to settle for. If it ain't Final Fantasy (and even at that, FFT was not realeased over here), we're lucky to see it.

Raistlin
05-10-2005, 01:20 AM
Yeah, the only place better than the US where RPGs are concerned is Japan itself. We get most of the good stuff. I'm quite satisfied with the amount of RPGs we get - if we got more, I wouldn't play them all, as I already don't play them all. xD

nik0tine
05-10-2005, 01:26 AM
Aww... How dissapointing. I thought I was going to get to fight against Final Fantasy... Bummer! :mad:

Vyk
05-10-2005, 07:25 AM
Aww... How dissapointing. I thought I was going to get to fight against Final Fantasy... Bummer!
You got that impression from the title too? lol...

I don't think any FF holds a candle to my beloved Xenogears. Even Xenogears' "sequals/prequals" can't compare in my opinion. Finding things that I like more than FFT is fun. The Shining Force series is by far my favorite for "strategy" RPGs. So much more on the fun factor. They don't complicate everything to the point of boredom. Then there's a little known oddity on the Sega Saturn known as Dragon Force which is kind of a strategy RPG. But not like FFT or SF. More of a fantasy war game. But even that doesn't do it justice. No other RPG has had me so addicted... I burned out my Saturn because I played it in like 8 to 12 hour stretches one summer x_X;; And then there is of course Lunar. Final Fantasy may be able to flesh out a character with a lot of personality these days. But Square is so determined to make them complex and deep that it's hard to relate to them anymore. And sometimes it's hard to understand and even like them. With Lunar you knew the characters. You loved the characters. And you almost feel a personal bond with them. Not so much as a player-to-character bond. It's like they could actually be your friends. It's an awesome feeling. And no I'm not insane. They just did that good a job of characterization in my opinion. Grandia is a lot like that. Simple and pleasurable. And last, but not least on my list is Legend of Legaia. Another simple game. Especially in characters. The atmosphere was awesome to me somehow. I'll admit the game itself didn't have much depth. That is... until you get into a fight. My god, I don't think I've ever enjoyed random encounters so much. You can string together moves so devistating and fun it's ... yeah. Awesomeness. And I HATE random encounters. So that's a feat in itself.

wuglendei
05-10-2005, 10:24 PM
i ment to make it that u battle the ff games but i watned to kno what other rpgs liked at first then was goin to convert it to the battle
where every one picked there fave game and stuff..
but then i thought about and i was like...how am i gonan do this? and gave up..w00tever...

Destai
05-10-2005, 11:17 PM

Suikoden, Lunar, and Breath of Fire are all series that are better than FF and get overshadowed by FF.Ive only played the BoF series but they certainly cant compete with most of the FF titles.Ive passed BoF II, IV,and Im relatively far in V and I but none of them are as good as the FF's Ive played. All in all FF does have a high average quality.

Raistlin
05-11-2005, 12:56 AM

Suikoden, Lunar, and Breath of Fire are all series that are better than FF and get overshadowed by FF.Ive only played the BoF series but they certainly cant compete with most of the FF titles.Ive passed BoF II, IV,and Im relatively far in V and I but none of them are as good as the FF's Ive played. All in all FF does have a high average quality.
Breath of Fire III is the best one I've played, but I haven't played V. Also, BoF and FF are both inferior to Suikoden and Lunar.

Lich3636
05-11-2005, 02:28 AM
Lets see some great old rpgs that arnt FF are Chrono trigger,Breath of fire series, Lufia series, Super mario rpg, Faxanadu (not sure on spelling) , Lunar, Arc the Lad, Dungeon magic, Gobbies quest from Rpg maker (I found it very funny thats why im listing it), Illusion of Gaia, Star ocean series, and saga frontier 1&2 (unlimited saga disapointed me) all of these games are great and most can go toe to toe with some final fantasys and they all are better than 8 it sucked because it had the most retarded system ever the monsters and bosses lv up with you what the hell is that its easier if you dont lv up

MecaKane
05-11-2005, 03:05 AM
I love when random people go off on a point that doesn't make sense at all and then end off on an unrelated rant. Especially one they're wrong about. :D

The only Suikoden game that's better than every Final Fantasy is II, now shush.

Raistlin
05-11-2005, 03:21 AM
Lets see some great old rpgs that arnt FF are Chrono trigger,Breath of fire series, Lufia series, Super mario rpg, Faxanadu (not sure on spelling) , Lunar, Arc the Lad, Dungeon magic, Gobbies quest from Rpg maker (I found it very funny thats why im listing it), Illusion of Gaia, Star ocean series, and saga frontier 1&2 (unlimited saga disapointed me) all of these games are great and most can go toe to toe with some final fantasys and they all are better than 8 it sucked because it had the most retarded system ever the monsters and bosses lv up with you what the hell is that its easier if you dont lv up
You do realize that in Lunar SSSC, a game in one of the series you mentioned, the bosses level up with you as well? :p

Kane: I'd agree with that. But then I'd also say that I and III are better than every FF except for FFT, and that IV is up there with the best FFs(with the exception of FFT, of course).

TheAbominatrix
05-11-2005, 04:37 AM
Suikoden series, Breath of Fire series, Wild ARMs series, Tales series... that's all I can think of off the top of my head, but they're all as good if not better than Final Fantasy.

Excelsior
05-11-2005, 05:09 AM
i actually dont like many RPGs besides FF. i like breath of fire 1, but thats it for that series. i only like tales of symphonia, and i thought the chrono series was ok. other then that, im not a huge RPG fan.

Lich3636
05-11-2005, 05:22 PM
You do realize that in Lunar SSSC, a game in one of the series you mentioned, the bosses level up with you as well? :p

pish posh I say to you :p

Vyk
05-11-2005, 05:42 PM
i actually dont like many RPGs besides FF. i like breath of fire 1, but thats it for that series. i only like tales of symphonia, and i thought the chrono series was ok. other then that, im not a huge RPG fan.
So glad you're not one of those people that like only Final Fantasy and consider themselves hardcore RPG fans...

edczxcvbnm
05-11-2005, 06:19 PM
Games above FF

Chrono
Xeno
Breath of Fire
Tales of
Lunar

There are other single games out there also that beat it out like Super Mario RPG, Valkrye Profile and others.

Samuraid
05-11-2005, 07:00 PM
Lufia series

Lufia 2 was great!

I can certainly say that there are a number of RPGs that great music, better than some of the Final Fantasy titles.

KuRt
05-11-2005, 07:03 PM
Watcha gonna do when my lvl 58 Undead rogue beats you with: Cheap shot, Ambush, sinister strike, sinister strike and evisecerate combo??

(WoW is best (MMO)RPG)

Lankyman
05-11-2005, 08:58 PM
Disgaea and La puchelle by nippon ichi, found them second hand for £8 each. never had a better bargain.

Dreddz
05-11-2005, 09:15 PM
ive enjoyed alot of other RPG'S like SO and Grandia but theres sumin about FF which makes it so good and well known as the greatest RPG series ever

black orb
05-11-2005, 10:27 PM
>>> I dare to say that Suikoden 1 and 2 are above some of the best FF titles.. but not FF9, that game is just too awesome..

If we are talking about FF2, well any RPG is better than that.. :D

Lich3636
05-15-2005, 04:12 AM
>>> I dare to say that Suikoden 1 and 2 are above some of the best FF titles.. but not FF9, that game is just too awesome..

(shakes fist) you better be talking about 2 from dawn of souls and origins because 2 for the snes was great

black orb
05-15-2005, 05:38 AM
>>> Yes, I was talking about FF2j NES game..
FF6 is good..

Gnostic Yevon
05-15-2005, 08:17 PM
For the consistancy of the series FF is still one of the best. (at least on ps2, I haven't tried KOTOR yet) It is one of the few game series I'll buy just released without reading a review first.

Individual games of other series might be better. Suikoden III is great and probably better than FF8-9 and obviously better than X-2. But the series isn't consistantly good. Suikoden VI was nowhere near as good. In fact, the sailing eventually made the game unbearable, and the plot was sort of meh. That's a problem for the series overall -- I like individual games in the series, but they aren't all good as a series, more a hit and miss. And for some games the misses are spectacular. There's one game called Ephemeral Phantasia that is extremely bad, as in 10 minutes after I started it I was thinking that instead of me buying the game, they should pay me to play it.

I guess I'll have to try la pucelle tactics then.

Mercen-X
05-15-2005, 09:53 PM
Breath of Fire III and Dragon Quarter were the only chapters of that series I've played. I haven't beaten either.
Legend of Legaia, liked everything except the fact that Noa and Gala were forever behind Vahn in progression. I still want to play the sequel.
Shadow Hearts . . . I found the judgment ring to be frustrating as hell, but I bought the game anyway.
Legend of Dragoon was long and slow and had far too many random battles. You couldn't walk more than two steps in some places. I still ended up buying it.
Threads of Fate I played for about an hour before I got bored. I don't remember much about it. I think I need to play it again.
Games by Nipon Ichi like Disgaea and Phantom Brave have been fun.
Of course there is Kingdom Hearts and CoM and then Star Ocean: TTEOT.
I enjoyed playing Front Mission 4, though I was only able to play a demo as it's not available for rent or purchase in my town.
I like MGS, but don't prefer the MGS clones.
I hated Ring of Red. The battle system, which involved gradually moving your mech into position to attack (and be attacked), stated clear meaning of the term "SLOW."
GTA, but I actually think of that as more of a driving game as that is the best part to me.
I haven't played any Elder Scrolls titles, but my cousin played Morrowind which looked pretty entralling. A new game is coming out titled Oblivion. If I had any reason to buy the Xbox or X2/Xenon/360 thing then it would be to buy that new installment.
If I had any reason to purchase a GameCube, I would assume it be purely to buy Legend of Zelda, y'know the newest game that's come out. Majora's Mask was fairly entertaining as well.
The dot.hack series ROCKED with the exception of the very last optional dungeon wherein every room is a battle and all enemies are virus-plagued, therefore, there's no way to succeed.
I haven't played Suikoden titles except Suikoden IV which I thought was pretty good.
There's also Chrono Cross and Chrono Trigger.
I played Xonsaga but not Xenogears.
I liked SaGa Frontier but hated Unltd.
I played Grandia Xtreme, but only liked the parts about saving your items and equipping your abilities. I thought that was interesting. The story just lost me though.
I liked both Dark Cloud games.
I liked being able to create my own skateboard sticker in THUG. That's about it though.
I also own both Golden Sun games for the GBA.
EverGrace sucked. I like the equipment though.
There's more, but I can't think of'em at the moment.

Craig
05-15-2005, 10:04 PM
I think the thing with Final Fantasys is that they are quite, epic games. If you compare Final Fantasy IX to say, Breath of Fire 3, there is a huge difference. FFs just seem to be more proffesionally made.

That being said I don't want to get flamed. Breath of Fire 3, Suikoden 2, Grandia I and II were some of my favourite games.

Vyk
05-16-2005, 01:23 AM

(shakes fist) you better be talking about 2 from dawn of souls and origins because 2 for the snes was great

That would be... FF4...easy type.

TheAbominatrix
05-16-2005, 01:29 AM
FFII (US) isnt Easytype. It was made easier than the original IV, but not to the point that Easytype was. I wrote some stuff on it in the forum FAQ, and there's a link, but suffice it to say; Easytype was a walk in the park. No challenge, ever. They altered multiple peices of equipment to make it a breeze.

Erdrick Holmes
05-16-2005, 01:33 AM
Phantasy Star IV, best RPG ever made. pwns Final Fantasy,

Yew-Yevon
05-20-2005, 07:17 PM
Phantasy Star IV, best RPG ever made. pwns Final Fantasy,
you mean the only good rpg on xbox right? :p

Seraf
05-22-2005, 04:35 AM
Out of all the RPG series that I've played the only unique one and most memorable series is the FF series and will be forever.

Raistlin
05-24-2005, 03:55 AM
I think the thing with Final Fantasys is that they are quite, epic games. If you compare Final Fantasy IX to say, Breath of Fire 3, there is a huge difference. FFs just seem to be more proffesionally made.

That being said I don't want to get flamed. Breath of Fire 3, Suikoden 2, Grandia I and II were some of my favourite games.
FFs? Epic? That's almost laughable. FFT is the only epic FF title, though some of the earlier FFs(pre-Playstation) come rather close, in my opinion. However, Suikoden and Lunar are all very epic games.

And BoF3 is so much better than FF9. :p

Erdrick Holmes
05-24-2005, 05:01 AM
I agree with Raist. Pre Playstation FFs were extreamly epic (witht he exception of FFT and FFVII)

Phantasy Star series is about as epic as any RPG series gets, while Xenogears comes extreamly close.

Vyk
05-24-2005, 05:11 AM
I really don't get what you guys call "epic". Though I guess I've been pampered by modern technology. I need depth, dialogue, character growth, a plot that picks at something in your emotions. BoF and Phantasy Star only ever captured a few of my needs. Where as games like FF6 captured all of my needs. And Xenogears of course I think blows everything else away. But honestly PS4 was the only one I could tolerate to completion. Granted it had the advantage of being done after much experience and stuff. But it did seem to get a lot more attention and love and came out such a better product than its predicessors to me. I hope the PS remakes are worth their salt. And I couldn't get into any of the poor BoF games. :/