PDA

View Full Version : Firefox Critical Flaw

TheAbominatrix
05-10-2005, 02:20 AM
Dont know if this has been posted yet, but it's pretty important. A lot of us use Firefox.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/120756

rubah
05-10-2005, 02:28 AM
It's been all over slashdot. I guess I probably should read it more thoroughly though.

Shlup
05-10-2005, 04:18 AM
Good thing I haven't re-installed Java since reformatting, I suppose.

CloudSquallandZidane
05-10-2005, 04:26 AM
Yeh i saw that on digg.

Good thing i have my emergency "im be hacked omgwtf, HELP!" button, aka the power button.

DMKA
05-10-2005, 05:54 AM
Good thing I don't waste my time with Firefox.

BackRoomKid
05-10-2005, 05:55 AM
where's the java option to turn it off...i can't find it

that's if I need to

Yamaneko
05-10-2005, 06:56 AM
This is entirely avoidable. Don't be dumb and click on whatever pops up.

WildRaubtier
05-10-2005, 09:31 AM
honose, i r usin teh fiarfocks now!!!11! My computar is brokan!!!!!!!!!!
;________________________________________________________________;

TheAbominatrix
05-10-2005, 10:28 AM
IE has far more critical security flaws than Firefox.

Rye
05-10-2005, 11:35 AM
Well, I dunno which thing to disable, javascript or java, or both. I just disabled javascript, but no doubt I'll have to turn it on later for my brother's stupid online game that he just CAN'T go without.

Meat Puppet
05-10-2005, 11:47 AM
Everything has holes
Even my pants

Chris
05-10-2005, 11:57 AM
This is entirely avoidable. Don't be dumb and click on whatever pops up.
Way to miss the point. :greenie:

Lindy
05-10-2005, 12:00 PM
IE has far more critical security flaws than Firefox.
No, both browsers have the same and equal security flaw :

Idiots who browse stupid sites.

It's not the browser, it isn't going to save you from a cracks site filled with spyware and trojan downloads.

And I think this line covers it all really :

However, industry observers have long warned that the browser is more secure partly because of its relatively small user base. As Firefox's profile grows, attackers will increasingly target the browser.
Your precious magical browser is going to be just as "broken" as you consider IE eventually, so why bother changing, honestly, when IE works just as well for the simple idea of OMIGOSH, browsing webpages.

Honestly, who needs all the extraneous crap in firefox, I'm quite happy with just looking at webpages and that's that.

TheAbominatrix
05-10-2005, 12:03 PM
Whatever you say, Lindy. It's always the same thing anyway.

Lindy
05-10-2005, 12:06 PM
Yeah, s'called an opinion, crazy eh? Oddly, when you have one, they don't normally change, whattashock!

TheAbominatrix
05-10-2005, 12:10 PM
I wasnt refering to your opinion. And to be honest, I dont care if you dont like Firefox. Users of it should be informed.

And yes, there are more IE flaws than there are Firefox flaws at present.

Lindy
05-10-2005, 12:12 PM
Again, the larger userbase quote applies.

It's the same thing with Linux and Windows, Windows is going to have more exploits than Linux because people look for exploits and, well, exploit them. They're not going to look for them in Linux, since most hackers use Linux anyway, and it has a far smaller userbase than Windows.

And pray tell, what were you referring to?

TheAbominatrix
05-10-2005, 12:16 PM
I'm aware.

I was refering to the constant negatives. Whatever you say is the same, and I dont mean about Firefox. I mean about everything. I dont see the point of coming into a thread just to be like 'omfg firefox sucks' when it has nothing to do with that. I was informing users so they wouldnt be victimized, and by the way, that doesnt make them idiots.

Armisael
05-10-2005, 12:20 PM
Didn't know that,thanks for the warning TheAbominatrix..

Lindy
05-10-2005, 12:21 PM
Being the victim of something isn't being an idiot, I didn't say that, I stated that both browsers were equally vulnerable to being stupid and browsing sites that will clearly be rife with spyware, malware and whatever.

And I was expressing the fact that, I find all the extras and features and whatever in firefox wasteful, and that it WILL be as broken as IE, since as the base grows the people who exploit it will too, this current flaw is an example of a spiral downwards.

There is a matter of IF the devs can keep up with flaws, and find and cover them faster than people can exploit them, which if they can will be quite a feat, but that I honestly don't see happening, and sometime in the future, you'll see another browser appear that everyone will switch to since it's safer than Firefox, which everyone will consider a "crappy browser", and you'll get people like Yams coming along and calling people cavemen for using Firefox when there's this fancy new browser that's so much better.

Yes, this is on topic since, wow, it's discussing critical flaws.

And being negative is fun, some people play tennis, I erode the human soul.

TheAbominatrix
05-10-2005, 12:25 PM
I really dont see that the extra features are neccesary to be commented on. I dont think anyone cares what anyone else thinks of the extra features.

These flaws can affect lots of people, not just idiots who browse bad sites. New things are popping up everyday, not to mention occurences of trusted sites being hacked and filled with the same things. And not everyone is internet savvy, and they dont know what sites are safe or not. They're inexperienced, not idiots.

I really dont care what Yams or anyone else says about IE. This isnt about IE versus Firefox, it's about Firefox having a problem. The end.

Lindy
05-10-2005, 12:28 PM
Ugh, I'm not saying that the flaws have anything to do with browsing bad sites, I'm saying that no matter whether you have flaws or not, browsing bad sites is going to affect you.

And YES, it is good that you brought this to peoples attention since it won't spread.

And YES, some people aren't experienced, but honestly when you get popups that offer to install weather browsers or computer time checkers, you HAVE to be an idiot to download those.

TheAbominatrix
05-10-2005, 12:30 PM
Plenty of folks have done that, and it has nothing to do with being an idiot. I remember downloading Gator when I was a noob because it would remember my passwords for me. And I've been restoring family member's computers for years because they, especially older people, dont know about those things. Ignorance is not idiocy.

Lindy
05-10-2005, 12:33 PM
Fine, we just clearly have different opinions of people then.

Anyway, I am curious about how quickly this flaw will be fixed, since it'll be an interesting indicator of how other problems will be solved and how swiftly any exploits are discovered.

Microsoft are slow for exploit fixes, but I honestly don't care since none of them have ever bothered me.

Just wondering how a company providing a free browser are going to approach the matter of dealing with exploits which will grow on a large scale given time, and also how long Firefox WILL remain free for that matter.

<i>EDIT : Ugh, noticed in an earlier post I referred to Yams and IE by accident, I meant to say calling people cavemen for using firefox when there was a new browser, just to display how Firefox is very much the NOW thing, and there'll be something different in the future, edited anyway. And I meant people like Yams, not specifically Yams.</i>

TheAbominatrix
05-10-2005, 12:37 PM
I think Mozilla is new enough and eager enough to work on fixing it. Like seriously work on it, not half-ass it like Microsoft seems to do (given their resources and manpower, and ultimately the time it takes), so I expect a fix soon. But as time passes, it'll probably wind up slowing down.

Lindy
05-10-2005, 12:38 PM
Then lets all use Opera 'til our hearts explode.

TheAbominatrix
05-10-2005, 12:40 PM
Sounds good to me.

Meat Puppet
05-10-2005, 01:00 PM
what to after Opera?

Lindy
05-10-2005, 01:01 PM
http://lynx.browser.org/

Necronopticous
05-10-2005, 03:51 PM
Down with IE and Firefox, use Links!

Old Manus
05-10-2005, 03:59 PM
It's because Firefox is for wimps.

Nod
05-10-2005, 04:24 PM
honose, i r usin teh fiarfocks now!!!11! My computar is brokan!!!!!!!!!!
;________________________________________________________________;

OMG FIREFOX IS TEH ROXORS I YOOS IT 2!!!!!11!!!11

DMKA
05-10-2005, 06:24 PM
Best thread since Kathryn's banning! :D

Psychotic
05-10-2005, 06:30 PM
IN YOUR FACE FIREFOX USERS! WHO'S GOT SECURITY ISSUES NOW? YOUR FACE, THAT'S WHO!

Serves you all right for mocking IE users whenever a problem arose with it. :laugh:

Yamaneko
05-10-2005, 06:40 PM
Keep the back-and-forth out of this thread, please.

Firefox doesn't and can't use ActiveX. That eliminates a large percentage of the problems that are faced by IE users. Firefox is the superior browser. You can go ahead and defend IE, that's fine, but it's only personal preference that you're defending.

Oh, and I've been using Firefox since 0.3. Before it was "cool". I'm not much into Internet trends anyway.

Necronopticous
05-10-2005, 06:53 PM
Oh, and I've been using Firefox since 0.3. Before it was "cool". I'm not much into Internet trends anyway.
OMG O.G. Firefox user ;O <3

eestlinc
05-10-2005, 07:53 PM
Most of the "extra features" of Firefox are just removed bloat that makes IE slow and annoying.

This is good to know, although I don't give sites permission to upload onto my computer anyway.

withered
05-10-2005, 08:54 PM
Oh, and I've been using Firefox since 0.3. Before it was "cool". I'm not much into Internet trends anyway.It is cool to use Firefox? My life just hit rock bottom.

Hawkeye
05-10-2005, 08:58 PM
Dont download anything youre not suppose to then people.

Thats right, Im talking to you, put that thing back into your pants

rubah
05-11-2005, 01:09 AM
I'm glad the IE die-hards actually read articles:)

it states that mozilla changed what was probably going to be the most-exploited thing, the update(does MS do that?). and that whatever is left is from the USER clicking stuffxD or if they add safe-to-install sites.

Strangely enough, I haven't. Sounds like gravy right?

and we can ALWAYS make fun of IE, it's like making fun of AOL :)

CloudSquallandZidane
05-11-2005, 05:15 AM
Oh, and I've been using Firefox since 0.3. Before it was "cool". I'm not much into Internet trends anyway.It is cool to use Firefox? My life just hit rock bottom.

Ditto.

Kirobaito
05-11-2005, 05:34 AM
That's all just a bunch of jibberish to me. Basically, if I've never added any sites to my happy download list, I should be fine?

DMKA
05-11-2005, 05:55 AM
Until I actually wittness Firefox doing something good other than tabbed browsing, I'm going to continue to think it's crap.

And why is it Firefox users feel the need to say everyone who doesn't use the same browser as them is stupid and wrong? I've used Firefox, and I think it's a waste of my time and RAM. I'd much rather spend my time getting /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif done that I need to get done then having to download a new plugin every other day, and even then some sites still won't work.

Go ahead and keep using your precious little Firefox if you want, I really don't care because I don't have to use your computer, but please shut the hell up about how it's so much better than IE and I need to be using it.

Oh and anyway...

This isnt about IE versus Firefox, it's about Firefox having a problem. The end.

Old Manus
05-11-2005, 07:38 AM
Until I actually wittness Firefox doing something good other than tabbed browsing, I'm going to continue to think it's crap.

And why is it Firefox users feel the need to say everyone who doesn't use the same browser as them is stupid and wrong? I've used Firefox, and I think it's a waste of my time and RAM. I'd much rather spend my time getting /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif done that I need to get done then having to download a new plugin every other day, and even then some sites still won't work.

Go ahead and keep using your precious little Firefox if you want, I really don't care because I don't have to use your computer, but please shut the hell up about how it's so much better than IE and I need to be using it.

Leeza
05-11-2005, 07:55 AM
Okay, that's about enough for this thread.