PDA

View Full Version : Slayer

Dan longfletch
05-10-2005, 11:42 AM
anyone like slayer around here?????????????????

Chris
05-10-2005, 11:44 AM
I'm sorry; I don't know who they are.

Devourment
05-10-2005, 11:57 AM
I don't think you should've just named the thread 'band talk', you should've named it Slayer... it would've been a bit more suitable. People don't want just one thread to talk about bands that's why they make individual threads about a certain band they like.

And yes, I do like Slayer.

Dan longfletch
05-10-2005, 12:00 PM
ye your right il do it next time.p.s thanks for letting me know.

lordblazer
05-10-2005, 01:39 PM
i dont know who slayer is but i like

system of a down
beat crusaders
the pillows

T-MaN
05-10-2005, 05:56 PM
Aren't most of their music videos illegal? LoL.

Dr.K
05-10-2005, 05:59 PM
Used to be a hardcore fan. Then I kinda tapered off when my taste got more melodic.

Jack
05-10-2005, 06:07 PM
They're alright, but I prefer a bit of depth with my music, not just NOISE.

Pure Strife
05-10-2005, 10:08 PM
They're alright, but I prefer a bit of depth with my music, not just NOISE.

Aye, just a wall of distortion and solos that would make Machine Head proud*. I love 80's metal, but these guys had nothing on acts like Megadeth, Metallica, Pantera, Testament and Anthrax.

*not a compliment

sephiroth JR
05-10-2005, 10:15 PM
i think their fucking great

LH
05-11-2005, 12:10 AM
Jack, Pure Strife, I suspect the both of you haven't sampled much of anything recorded by Slayer after 1987's Reign In Blood.

Excelsior
05-11-2005, 04:10 AM
"I keep the Bible in a pool of blood so that none of its lies can affect me!!"-Slayer :D

Moose Knight
05-23-2005, 02:34 AM
I hate Slayer. South of Heaven is alright, I suppose, but everything else is horrible. They are too derivative off themselves. I mean, its good to have a definitive style, but jesus...their songs really have NO distinguishing characteristics from one another. For example, I saw a live video where they did a perfect segway between raining blood and Black Magic. It was impossible to someone who doesn't know about Slayer to tell the difference between the songs.

But...the new albums are even worse than the old ones.

Jrock
05-28-2005, 11:19 AM
I like maybe two songs, hell awaits and dead skin mask. The rest of there songs sound the same.

MecaKane
05-28-2005, 03:53 PM
They're delightful.
It's weird as many people don't know who they are. I knew Slayer was a "Heavy metal scary" band since I was god knows how old, even without hearing any songs. Then I heard some and liked it. :eek: :eek: :eek:

§håd0w
05-29-2005, 01:04 AM
I actually Slayer a few months back. If you ever get caught in a mosh pit at one of their shows, don't expect to come out unscathed.

kikimm
05-29-2005, 02:02 AM
Blegh. Not my kind of music at all. I admire when a guy can truly sing in a rock band so much more than screaming. And their songs DO sound the same, which is really, really dumb. YEAH.

Just not what I look for in a band. *sigh*

:D

Phil
05-29-2005, 02:18 AM
Slayer is fun, but only with human weapons, dual smgs, and no rocket launcher on beaver creek. Actually I've never heard of them. Sounds to me like a satanic band. Am I right? Well- maybe not satanic but cerainly not religious...

§håd0w
05-29-2005, 02:46 AM
Not necessarily Satanic, but death metal.

jrgen
05-29-2005, 09:58 AM
HAHAHAHA.

Captain Maxx Power
05-29-2005, 11:40 AM
It's more speed metal I'd say, and yes they do rule. It's purely moshing music, you can't really be seated on your beanbag drinking "cheap plonk" while discussing how nice that cream seatee in Ikea looked. YOU PEOPLE MAKE ME SICK!

§håd0w
05-30-2005, 01:20 AM
HAHAHAHA.

I don't know what you're laughing at. There is a difference you know.

jrgen
05-30-2005, 02:04 PM
Death Metal bands are rarely related to satanism, you'll find the devil worshippers within black metal, but that was not what I was laughing at. I was laughing at the fact that someone actually called Slayer death metal.

§håd0w
06-02-2005, 12:38 AM
Songs like Angel of Death or Rainging Blood would give that impression.

Dreddz
06-02-2005, 11:07 AM
Slayer..............urgh

jrgen
06-02-2005, 03:56 PM
No. Those songs are Thrash too, just like the rest of their music.

LH
06-02-2005, 05:04 PM
Most definitely thrash metal, which is a world apart from death metal. Slayer was one of the pioneers of thrash metal, and for my money is the fastest and heaviest of them all.

About Slayer being considered death metal, this is what guitarist Kerry King says: "I don't listen to any death metal bands; they sound all the same to me. You've got a singer ****ing growling! Tom has identity. When you hear Tom sing, you know it's him. When you hear these guys sing, it sounds like 10 other bands."

About them being Satanic, this is what singer Tom Araya says: "I think we just wanted to be the fastest and heaviest band in the world. All the controversy was solely designed to make people **** in their pants! We were dark as ****, fast as **** and nobody liked us. And I guess we kinda went out of our way to have that 'manly' look."

Moose Knight
06-04-2005, 04:00 AM
Most definitely thrash metal, which is a world apart from death metal. Slayer was one of the pioneers of thrash metal, and for my money is the fastest and heaviest of them all.

Then you must not have heard much thrash. Try some Dark Angel (way faster than Slayer), or for heaviness, listen to Celtic Frost.

§håd0w
06-05-2005, 01:49 PM
No. Those songs are Thrash too, just like the rest of their music.

The music itself is thrash, I agree. But lyrically, it's more of a dark type of music. I dunno, I judge things lyrically and not so much as the actual music being played.

jrgen
06-05-2005, 03:04 PM
Metal isn't punk, you can't define a genre by the lyrics.

§håd0w
06-06-2005, 01:00 AM
Of course you can... Christian Rock.

If you can't give a genre based on lyrics, then most metal would be classified poorly. Death metal generally has recurring themes of dying in their music, as with Christian Rock is all religous.

And going with Emo... If the band didn't have whiney lyrics, you couldn't call them emo. So yes you can classify a genre of music based on lyrics.

jrgen
06-06-2005, 01:49 AM
Of course you can... Christian Rock.

If you can't give a genre based on lyrics, then most metal would be classified poorly. Death metal generally has recurring themes of dying in their music, as with Christian Rock is all religous.

And going with Emo... If the band didn't have whiney lyrics, you couldn't call them emo. So yes you can classify a genre of music based on lyrics.
Death metal is defined by its musical characteristics. Lyrics are often about death, but not always. And no, Christian rock is IMO not a valid genre. There are genres defined by the lyrics, but not within metal. There may be a common lyrical theme in certain genres, but it is not relevant to which genre the music in question belongs to.

§håd0w
06-06-2005, 02:13 AM
Everyone has an opinion... to each their own.

The Man
06-16-2005, 01:23 AM
To answer the question posed in the original post: Yes, I like Slayer. Reign in Blood, South of Heaven, and Seasons in the Abyss are all-time classics of thrash, IMHO.

Yes, most of Slayer's songs sound the same. Most of Bob Dylan's early songs sound the same as well. That doesn't make them bad. It just means they're all recorded in the same style.

Rini
06-18-2005, 11:35 PM
It depresses me that some people won't understand Slayer for what they are. :( It's okay if one doesn't like the music or the lyrics but they are and always will be the "messenger" of thrash metal, aside Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, Testament and Iron Maiden. Only they are a lot heavier and faster.

It's a bit funny to see someone bash Metallica's production above Slayer's, (well obviously it's his opinion but...) I personally think that Disciple (from God Hates Us All) is ten times better than anything metallica did from the Black Album onwards. But I have to agree that even Slayer's 1990's production is a bit lame otherwise.

Last week when I was at a festival with Slayer playing, I was quite near the front row, and there was a moshpit right next to me. Whew. That was quite the experience, but it only takes a bit adjustment to fit in, actually when you relax your muscles it feels almost like a back massage :D So whatevr, I had a friggin blast at that gig. Tom's a really sympathetic guy, he just kept smiling all the time, and aww, now he has a grey beard and stuff <3. "Take care of each other there, that's what you're here to do, right? *smile*"

Slayer is definitely one of my favorite bands, not because of the diversity in the production (well, it's part of it, but not the most important), but because of the humorousness they have playing and doing their music, fan-friendly behaviour, and oh, the aggression-releasing music <3

No matter what anyone says, Reign in Blood is THE best thrash-album there is, was, and will be. Why? Because it's flawless, because it has THE thrash song in it:
Auschwitz, the meaning of pain
The why that I want you to die
Slow death, immense decay
Showers that cleanse you of your life
Forced in
Like cattle
You run
Stripped of
Your life's worth
Human mice, for the Angel of Death
Four hundred thousand more to die
Angel of Death
Monarch to the kingdom of the dead
Sadistic, surgeon of demise
Sadist of the noblest blood

Destroying, without mercy
To benefit the Aryan race

Surgery, with no anesthesia
Fell the knife pierce you intensely
Inferior, no use to mankind
Strapped down screaming out to die
Angel of Death
Monarch to the kingdom of the dead
Infamous butcher,
Angel of Death

Pumped with fluid, inside your brain
Pressure in your skull begins pushing through your eyes
Burning flesh, drips away
Test of heat burns your skin, your mind starts to boil
Frigid cold, cracks your limbs
How long can you last
In this frozen water burial?
Sewn together, joining heads
Just a matter of time
'Til you rip yourselves apart
Millions laid out in their
Crowded tombs
Sickening ways to achieve
The holocaust
Seas of blood, bury life
Smell your death as it burns
Deep inside of you
Abacinate, eyes that bleed
Praying for the end of
Your wide awake nightmare
Wings of pain, reach out for you
His face of death staring down,
Your blood running cold
Injecting cells, dying eyes
Feeding on the screams of
The mutants he's creating
Pathetic harmless victims
Left to die
Rancid Angel of Death
Flying free

And people are saying the songs have no meaning?

The Man
06-19-2005, 03:08 PM
Angel of Death, like so many songs in heavy metal ("The Number of the Beast" also comes to mind), is so frequently misinterpreted it's saddening. It's written about Josef Mengele, but as Jeff Hanneman, who wrote the song, puts it:
I know why people misinterpret it — it's because they get this knee-jerk reaction to it. When they read the lyrics, there's nothing I put in the lyrics that says necessarily he was a bad man, because to me — well, isn't that obvious?! I shouldn't have to tell you that. There's also the fact that Tom Araya and Dave Lombardo are of distinctly non-Aryan heritage. ;-)

LionHeart_83
06-20-2005, 06:28 PM
Slayer is really good. They are probably one of the only good bands that have clean vocals nowadays

§håd0w
06-20-2005, 09:42 PM
Then you must not listen to a lot of bands. There are pleanty that don't scream or growl, or have clean vocals as you put it.

Rini
06-20-2005, 10:31 PM
..Or then there just are no other bands that he respects/likes more?

I wouldn't say Slayer has clean vocals, but it doesn't need them. Aggression is a good thing when it comes to music. Try and scream with Araya for a two-hour gig and you'll be all out of fury and anger for the next few weeks :D