PDA

View Full Version : New fad or just pretty princess dress me up?

SilentBlade
05-10-2005, 10:27 PM
Who actually likes ff X-2 here??? (maybe i shouldn't post this here? screw it) well I think it's a Lez game of pretty princess dress-me-up. Or maybe it's just because I'm male.... :riiight:

FF freak
05-11-2005, 01:07 AM
Hmmmmm. A bold statement from someone who just recently joined but not to worry you have many people here who agree with you (male and female). Anyway I am one of those people for the most part. This game lacked alot of things but I think where they really screwed up was with the fiends. Why learn new abilties when standard attack works just fine? There were some things that I liked though, the FMVs for example...

Slade
05-11-2005, 07:40 AM
Im male and i actually enjoyed the game. Its not as good as any of the other ffs ive played but it was still pretty cool. I was quite dissapointed with the length of the game tho....it didnt take long to finish it thru (main story line) and the amount of wtf missions you had to do were annoying. eg: catchin a chocobo for that girl, etc. There were some awsome moments in the game and i actually thought the whole dress up thing was pretty cool....different from the rest, slightly girly but hey, who cares? :D

My name is...something..?
05-11-2005, 07:44 AM
It was an ok game. Not the best, but it did hold my attention for about 80 hours. And any game that can do that, obviously has some sway over me.

Amarant Odinson
05-11-2005, 07:46 AM
FFX-2 was nothing more than a cross between FFX and Charlie's Angels.

CaptRory
05-11-2005, 08:08 AM
I enjoyed X-2. As a stand alone game it would have been mediocre. As a sequel I thought it was very good. The role of X-2 was to show what happens to Spira after Sin is destroyed in FFX. It accomplishes this goal by focusing on Yuna and friends. Most of the game details the growth and change occuring not only to Yuna, Rikku, and Paine but to Spira as a whole. The game changes modes near the end but it isn't a save the world epic like most every other RPG, it was a journey of personal discovery for the main protagonists as they and Spira at large come to realize their roles in what is essentially a new world.

and the amount of wtf missions you had to do were annoying. eg: catchin a chocobo for that girl, etc.

I felt missions like that underscored the differences between X-2 and other Final Fantasy titles. As I stated above, it does not start out as a save the world epic. The game doesn't take itself very seriously, and as such there is a lot of humor involved. I thought that catching the Chocobo was funny and I enjoyed it. It showed that despite having saved the world once already, Yuna and Rikku (and Paine who has her own demons) are normal people who do enjoy acting silly from time to time and will go out of their way to help a friend in need. Back in FFX you were tasked with a daunting quest that would end with the summoner's death assuming that she and everyone else wasn't killed well before reaching the end of the journey. Taking time out to catch a Chocobo in a few linked minigames is a veritable vacation.

Final Fantasy X-2 was girly. It was also one of the reasons I enjoyed it so thoroughly. It was different. The game itself was based around three young women. Had it been a mixed party or a party of men it would have been a different game. But as it revolved around three women it took on a decidedly feminine aspect. The job system was done with changing clothes. If you look back at Final Fantasy 5 the job system also involved a costume change but seeing as how it was a mixed party they called it the job system as opposed to FFX-2 where they underscore the party composition by making a critical system revolve around "Dress Spheres" and "Garment Grids."

Seeing as how it is now 3am my time and my brain has turned to mush I'll wrap this up.

FFX-2 was a decent game. The graphics and music were good. The plot made sense. The job system, always a fan favorite, made an appearance even if it was under the guise of the Dress Sphere system.

People are entitled to their own opinion and it is your right to not enjoy something. But, for the Love of All That is Good and Holy, do not start a thread looking to pick a fight using your opinion as tinder for the flaming that is to follow. If you don't like X-2, and you want people to know why, post a genuine review. Break down the game into measureable areas and areas that are only your opinion. Let people know why you don't like it.

SilentBlade
05-11-2005, 09:17 AM
The gameplay was ok i guess. (I like job systems) though the idea that you could could get new abilities by changing clothes in the middle of battle was...well...kinda strange. (like Qui-Gon Jinn from Star Wars could use Sith ablities if he put on a dark robe and some kind of Sith mask)

all the people you control are girls which was also...strange... :shifty:

CaptRory
05-11-2005, 04:57 PM
Having a party of women (in this case not completely serious women)was refreshingly different. The party dynamic that we are all used to, IE one or more love interests, male character as main protagonist, etc. is replaced by a different group dynamic. If you'll notice, most situations are dealt with differently when you compare FFX and X-2. I believe that reflects not only the different focus of the two games, Save the World vs. Journey of Self Discovery, but also the group makeup between the two games. The group in X-2 is, well silly. Even Paine gets into the act near the end. The group in X was decidedly more serious, not only because of the journey they were on but because of the personality types gathered together. Knowing that Yuna would die whether they were successful guardians or not weighed down everyone, even the characters that would have otherwise been inclined to be silly, IE Rikku.

My point is, that the party composition difference, both in terms of gender and personality compared to most Final Fantasy games, is one of X-2 greatest assets.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
05-11-2005, 05:41 PM
The costume-changing in FFX-2 wasn't any more ridiculous than it was in FFIII or FFV or FFT.

Vyk
05-11-2005, 05:44 PM
-Brian Clevenger

Del Murder
05-15-2005, 07:02 PM
We have had way too many 'what do you think of this game' threads.