PDA

View Full Version : Swearing and You

Agent Proto
05-12-2005, 03:14 AM
Alright, I haven't made a worthwhile thread lately, so I suppose I should start one about swearing.

Do you swear? I'm sure you do. What is your swearing habit like? Can you swear around anyone without caring? Especially around your parents? Or do you rarely swear, or don't swear at all?

I'll include a poll that may relate to the topic at hand.

Shlup
05-12-2005, 03:17 AM
I don't swear very much... well, at least not words you can't say on TV. :p

I usually curb my language when in front of children or old people, but not my parents. *shrug*

Del Murder
05-12-2005, 03:18 AM
Hardly if ever. Usually only for the purposes of humor.

Raven Nox
05-12-2005, 03:20 AM
Normally, if I need to swear, I will. Even my parnets hear me swear. Normally, they don't care. I *normally* don't swear for the heck of it though, only when I'm mad. It only comes naturally in real life though, on the internet, if I ever swear, it was on purpose...

Jojee
05-12-2005, 03:20 AM
I am able to control my swearing! ^-^

I don't really swear...

but I say things like, Damn right! or Hell yes! and stuff like that xD

I say arse and shi</>te and etc more though to cover it up ^_~

RSL
05-12-2005, 03:21 AM
I swear a lot at work.

DMKA
05-12-2005, 03:23 AM
What the hell is "swearing"? I'm sick to death of that whole concept and people trying to feed me this idiotic crap that one word is worse than another when they hold the EXACT same meaning.

Dumbest crap ever.

Meat Puppet
05-12-2005, 03:23 AM
I swear a lot of the time. I lived with my dad and his friends for a long time, and they swore a lot and it rubbed off on me because nothing bad happened when I swore. They only used the "s" word and the "f" word, but I don't like the "c" word, because that is what we got beaten for saying.

I am trying to quit or simmer down, because it makes too many people mad.

My name is...something..?
05-12-2005, 03:32 AM
I swear around my friends and family for jokes. Other times, I swear because I hurt myself. :p

Strider
05-12-2005, 03:50 AM
I swear very :skull::skull::skull::skull:ing effectively, thanks. :D

Luc
05-12-2005, 04:05 AM
I cuss A LOT. I cuss around my parents a lot, too. I can control my cussing, but only if I'm not comfortable talking with that person, yet.

Jewels
05-12-2005, 04:09 AM
I swear quite a lot, but it's usually not at others. I sometimes swear in front of my parents, and the're usually fine with it.

Sephex
05-12-2005, 04:10 AM
I do swear a lot, but I do control it. Like, if I know swearing will offend someone of importance, I don't do it.

Mittopotahis
05-12-2005, 04:23 AM
I never swear...never.. Not at all... I even yell out "LANGUAGE!" to people (i know) when they swear...I've even been known to do it to actors when watching a movie :D

rubah
05-12-2005, 04:25 AM
I don't swear.

Erdrick Holmes
05-12-2005, 04:37 AM
I swear everywhere I go. No fuckng swear filter can fucking controll the /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif I fucking say.

kikimm
05-12-2005, 04:38 AM
Eh, I go through phases. For awhile I'll be pretty much swearing nonstop (except when I'm around people that don't like it, of course; I'm a nice girl), or then I'll be like ai am now, which is not really doing it all all, with the exception of damn/hell. In the mindset I'm in right now, it's really not something that's necessary, and it's easier to get the point across, and I've found people will listen to you more if you don't use them. I like being more creative with my words anyways, and using swear words is just too simple.

:D

fire_of_avalon
05-12-2005, 04:44 AM
I have my days. :)

Sasquatch
05-12-2005, 05:00 AM
I swear some, but I don't think I swear too much...well, not more than the average person, rather. I tend to mine my language around ladies, and usually around people I don't know, but I don't have much of a problem swearing in front of my dad or my guy friends.

EDIT: I tent to try to stay away from "the F word", usually now, but I won't say G-D. In Iraq, that's how we used to greet each other. "Hey, F you Larry." "Oh, F you too Adam." "Hey, F all y'all." "F you Joe." Good times, good times.

Hawkeye
05-12-2005, 05:13 AM
Developing bad habits leads to doing bad involuntary actions. I used to swear a lot, but I am trying to control my swearing down to nothing. Its hard though, because I am so customed to swear, I may find myself tripping over my own tounge.

I swear around friends and family, only people I know, but even that I am trying to get rid of. I can see that maturity of swearing occasionally, but doing it all the time just makes you look like a... dang, this is hard. Okay, lets try 'dumbbutt' and lets see how that plays out.

Yamaneko
05-12-2005, 05:26 AM
Excessive foul language is the means of communications for the dregs of society.

UltimateSpamGrover
05-12-2005, 05:32 AM
No, I don't swear.

Rase
05-12-2005, 05:47 AM
I swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

Besides that, no, I do not.

Behold the Void
05-12-2005, 06:00 AM
I generally swear moderately, but I can control it and haven't done as much recently, especially as the way I speak has been polished over the last few years so it is as beautiful as it is unintelligable to those without a fairly advanced grasp of the English vocabulary.

Quina
05-12-2005, 06:07 AM
Only when I'm smurfing.

Samuraid
05-12-2005, 06:22 AM
No, I don't.

Gollum
05-12-2005, 07:16 AM
I dont realise when I swear the words just slip out

Maxico
05-12-2005, 07:19 AM
http://www.localarcade.com/arcade_art/data/thumbnails/2/smurf.jpg

And yeah, I swear a bit but only infront of people who wont go around dropping their monocles.

ZuZu
05-12-2005, 07:25 AM
Of course I swear! My whole family swears and I don't suprise if our dog could swear too!

Actually I noticed that I swear a lot when me and my friend noticed that she had started swearing after she met me. Hey, I have bad influence on people!

Shauna
05-12-2005, 07:32 AM
I hardly swear. But, when I do I can control it. :D

SilentBlade
05-12-2005, 08:02 AM
I only really swear when i'm really angry. Normally when something bad happens i say either "Nutty Fudgekins!" or crud!!!! :D

Jojee
05-12-2005, 08:04 AM
I only really swear when i'm really angry. Normally when something bad happens i say either "Nutty Fudgekins!" or crud!!!! :D Who are you, Relm? ;)

Devourment
05-12-2005, 09:18 AM
Well, I can swear a hell of a lot when I'm angry with someone, sort of Ozzy Osbourne standard, but I'm able to control my swearing when I'm just having a normal conversation with someone. There is no need to swear out-of-turn. One of my friends says teh f in nearly every sentance he speaks, & that does get on me nipples. I use having a go at someone as an excuse for swearing, & I especially like calling people a word that rhymes with munt, shunt, lunt, you know what I mean. Plus I have made up my own swear-words that sound pretty nice, but I'm not going to say them on this forum. So yeah, I am able to control teh temptation to let out teh f. :p

Ko Ko
05-12-2005, 09:57 AM
... *blushes* /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif yeah.

Jack
05-12-2005, 10:20 AM
F**k Yeah. Sometimes, the words pour out, sometimes they're controlled. Generally though, I'm alright but I do think I cuss far too much.

Loony BoB
05-12-2005, 11:35 AM
MOTHER TERESA!

I only swear around people I know don't mind swearing, or online. At work it's extremely rare that you'll hear me swearing (I once swore on a night out and one of the guys I work with was really shocked, I found that amusing), I don't swear around kids or my Dad or my stepmum. Probably not around most family members aside from my Mum and sister, actually, and that's pretty rare too. However if I'm with people who are comfortable with swearing, it's just like another word in the vocabulary for me.

Also, New Zealanders and Australians swear so much better than the rest of the world. You guys don't put enough effort into the passion behind the word!

Rye
05-12-2005, 11:43 AM
http://www.localarcade.com/arcade_art/data/thumbnails/2/smurf.jpg

And yeah, I swear a bit but only infront of people who wont go around dropping their monocles.

boris no no
05-12-2005, 11:59 AM
only very ocassionly
just when i'm angry or really stressed!

Nod
05-12-2005, 12:02 PM
I swear all the time. I try to curb it around old people and family and stuff, but generally i swear loads.

This is due in no smal part to living in a house with 4 other students, whose main form of greeting one another is using the C word. :eek:

Dr.K
05-12-2005, 01:23 PM
I don't swear that much. When I do, it's controllable :)

Project G
05-12-2005, 01:56 PM
I try to use every possible swearword in one sentence if I'm really annoyed

Chris
05-12-2005, 02:02 PM
Swearing comes naturally, it's not something I plan.

Perducci
05-12-2005, 06:03 PM
I swear too much.

But I also don't have a problem with swearing. A words is a word, it's not like it's going to hurt anybody.
Saying a swearword should not be any more wrong than saying a normal word, such as 'Cheese' or 'Ostrich', etc.

"Satyricon"
05-12-2005, 06:06 PM
i cuss all the time..cant help it :P

Jess
05-12-2005, 06:29 PM
I swear quite alot but not so much that its uncontrollable.
I swear infront of my parents, but thats because they understand that they are just words. :rolleyes2 I have respect not to swear infront of little kids or old people (Like my grandparents for example.)

Brian The Pink Shark
05-12-2005, 07:09 PM
i used to swear an awful lot, now i can control it but ill still openly swear in front of some people :choc:

Halifax Housewife
05-12-2005, 07:10 PM
I sware all the time.

Ultima Shadow
05-12-2005, 07:17 PM
I'm ****able to ****control my ****swearing!!!

Blackmageboi
05-12-2005, 08:35 PM
i can control my swearing and i hardly use 'normal' swear words we have our own made up set

XxSephirothxX
05-12-2005, 08:50 PM
I swear a lot around friends and such, but not in front of my parents or at school. It's not worth getting written up over. :D Mostly it's for humor or to emphasize a point. I find the idea that certain words are in some way worse than others to be retarded.

Kossage
05-12-2005, 08:53 PM
I swear very rarely, and when I do, it's usually for some comic purpose or such. :p

ApocalypticLeon
05-12-2005, 09:39 PM
I am likely to swear given I am unable to control my anger. I really don't swear much, though.

escobert
05-12-2005, 09:41 PM
I cuss alot :p

TasteyPies
05-12-2005, 10:46 PM

exdee

omnitarian
05-12-2005, 11:15 PM
I swear only when I'm angry/lazy/injured.
When most people swear, it makes them sound cool, but when I swear, I just sound like a crazy weirdo. :-/

Resha
05-12-2005, 11:31 PM
I TRY not to swear, but in my moments of intense fear and/or rage I swear on impulse, and badly. :(

Monol
05-12-2005, 11:41 PM
Not a big fan of swearing...but i played videogames all my life so its kinda hard not to :D ...I hate how most pepole use it like crazy though...i think its a good way to define your emotions...like say you swore everyday...and then one day a kid says somthing to ya that really upsets you and your like shut the *FLIP* up! Obviously the kid wont take you seriously cause you swear all the times anyways..now say you dont swear very often...at all...and then somone disses you and then all of a sudden you drop the ..."DONT YOU EVER *FLIPPN* DO THAT AGAIN YOU *FLIPPN* WASTE OF GOD GIVEN SPACE" then there like.."whoa...i just made that kid swear" then they back off cause they understand that they really upset you...actually...realisticly that would probably not happen at all..ah who knows...anyways...i swear...but only when i feel its nessicary...other than that..not really

Ashi
05-13-2005, 12:14 AM
I could never swear IRL, no matter how angry I am. Just not used to it. If I get really angry while chatting online I might type out swear words, though.

Apollo
05-13-2005, 12:51 AM
I swear alot. I can't help it. :)

Ryth
05-13-2005, 01:00 AM
**** yeah b****es! HAHAHA! I curse waaaayyy too ****in' much! Ass, hell, damn you name it I say it! I can't control it but I'm trying to.

bennator
05-13-2005, 01:19 AM
Yeah, I guess I swear a fair amount, it's actually starting to be a bad habit.

Mo-Nercy
05-13-2005, 01:20 AM
I usually only swear around friends and when I really hurt myself.

Kirobaito
05-13-2005, 03:53 AM
I try not to, but everyone slips.

escobert
05-13-2005, 03:55 AM
I try not to, but everyone slips.
COURSE! you swear like the dirty little sailor that you are :D

Dignified Pauper
05-13-2005, 04:06 AM
I swear lightly depending on the situation and who I am with...

Though when I am driving, I swear A LOT.

The Redneck
05-13-2005, 04:49 AM
I can control my language when I need to, but given free range I'll say things that would have Dennis Leary saying "Hey, cool it, man--there's Kinison fans in here!"

Sasquatch
05-13-2005, 05:29 AM
Good ol' Sam Kinison...

I might swear in conversation and such, but when insulting people, I try to be creative, with or without swear words.

Polaris
05-13-2005, 08:42 AM
I try to use every possible swearword in one sentence if I'm really annoyed

That's what I do sometimes... F* the f*ing sh!t... It's very rare to prounouce this, I just use it when I'm almost blowing! But most of the time I use the f word!

Miriel
05-13-2005, 09:42 AM
I swear sometimes. I don't see what the big deal is, and I don't see much difference in saying "I hate this /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif" to saying "I hate this pile of turd."

But I do dislike it when people insert the f-word in front of everything they say. Swear words are only effective when used sparingly.

Mercen-X
05-13-2005, 09:45 AM
I generally swear moderately, but I can control it and haven't done as much recently, especially as the way I speak has been polished over the last few years so it is as beautiful as it is unintelligable to those without a fairly advanced grasp of the English vocabulary.
I swear at inanimate objects.

DragonflyLex
05-15-2005, 06:21 PM
I do swear a lot, but I do control it. Like, if I know swearing will offend someone of importance, I don't do it.

You are wrong.

T-MaN
05-15-2005, 06:29 PM
I only swear when I am mad. Before I used to swear all the time, but after my g/f told me she hated it, I stopped. So thus, I only swear when I am ticked off.

ZuZu
05-17-2005, 11:32 AM
http://www.insults.net/html/swear/
Why swear in your own language when you can use others! :D
Penkule!

Cruise Control
05-18-2005, 03:37 AM
I never swear, maybe once a month when I almost break my toe by running past the refrigerator to answer the door. It turned out be some random survey hippie-person or whatever.

SNOOZER
05-18-2005, 03:45 AM
I guess I do swear a lot. Sometimes my friends have to stop me because I'm so loud and theres so many people around.

But I only really swear when my friends are there, when I'm alone in a crowd, I tend to... wear my bear suit like from Super Mario Bros. 3, then turn to stone when everybody looks at me.

I also like to swear creatively like; you know one of the greatest cartoons are? Ghost-mother-f***ing-Busters.