PDA

View Full Version : Which Blue Magic is Blue-ist...

HackedBlackMage
05-13-2005, 02:01 AM
well... Whos got better blue magic, Gau with his combat style blue magic or Strago with his magic style blue magic?

Personally Gau is my fav out of the two, I just liked how he learned and used it. I found it too hard to teach Strago his blue spells.

What do you guys think?

abrojtm
05-13-2005, 02:10 AM
I voted Strago based on the fact that I disliked Gau as a character and never used him unless it was necessary to progress the story.

Sasquatch
05-13-2005, 05:14 AM
I couldn't stand Strago, that old man was worthless. It was an inconvenience to get Gau's rages, but he was at least more worth it than Strago. Gau was more powerful, easier to teach, and acquired sooner. Strago was a worthless bugger, the only time I ever used him was to get Hidon.

DJZen
05-13-2005, 05:19 AM
Strago is an actual Blue Mage. He actually learns Blue Magic. Gau's class in Japan was given as "Wild Boy". His class is unique to the game. He's not a Blue Mage strictly speaking, so I feel that Strago is more blue-er.

HackedBlackMage
05-13-2005, 07:22 AM
Strago is an actual Blue Mage. He actually learns Blue Magic. Gau's class in Japan was given as "Wild Boy". His class is unique to the game. He's not a Blue Mage strictly speaking, so I feel that Strago is more blue-er.

The Term Blue Magic refers to spell/abilities gained form monsters that aren't normal spells/abilities in the game. This then means that Gau does use blue magic, even though it is a different kind.

Zante
05-13-2005, 02:04 PM
Strago was much more usefull imho, Gau was too inpredictable and most of his skills sucked.

Tonepoet
05-14-2005, 06:05 AM

The Term Blue Magic refers to spell/abilities gained form monsters that aren't normal spells/abilities in the game. This then means that Gau does use blue magic, even though it is a different kind.

I disagree. A blue mage is a specific class that learns spells that a monster casts during a battle. I also belive that Blue Magic is specificly the magic that a blue mage learns from the monster in that fashion. I back up my theorum with the fact that Gau can use other types of magics with Rage as well I.E. Fire 2 = Black Magic (Templar), Cure 3 = White (Magic Pot). Therefore I suggest that just because an ability is learned by a monster, that doesn't nessicarily mean it's specification is Blue. That would mean that there's another defining factor, which I briefly described above. Then again, your guess is as good as mine because only a few select Square employees would know. I just happen to think differntly.

Still, even if what I said above happens to be true it doesn't mean that Gau can't use Blue Magic. Quite a few rages use the Lores. Intengir uses Pep Up, Blue Dragon uses Clean Sweep, some of the birds use Areo ect. However, he cannot learn them all. Doom and Hidon never apear on the Veldt so under no circumstances can he use Force Field or Grand Train. Therefore as a Blue Mage, Strago has the upper hand.

Also, since an NPC says that Strago's in training to be a Blue Mage while nobody backs up that fact for Gau I belive Strago's bluer. However, I'll forego the vote because the Blue Magic that Gau learns and the Blue Magic that Strago learns are technically of equal blueness because they're the same spell. *Looks at the topic title*

rubah
05-14-2005, 06:39 AM
I say gau. He uses proper useful animal attacks, and we *all* know Blue magic is characterized by usefulness.

nik0tine
05-14-2005, 09:23 AM
Gau was dumb.

Master.Pug
05-14-2005, 11:13 AM
I found it too hard to teach Strago his blue spells.

^^ nah, its pretty simple! stay in a fight with Dark Force (Kefka Tower) and he uses about alll blue magics (kk, he don't uses some like ForceField[DOOM], GrandTrain[HIDON] and 1 or 2 others...)

I prefer the "moping around for kefka"-guy^^

Kawaii Ryűkishi
05-14-2005, 03:10 PM
The FFVIII strategy guide compared Quistis's Blue Magic skill to Gau. I always thought it was pretty dumb of them to overlook that FFVI has an actual Blue Mage.

omnitarian
05-14-2005, 04:14 PM
Gau's abilities are more useful, but Strago's blue magic is... actual blue magic. I'm abstaining.

Devourment
05-23-2005, 02:36 PM

beema
05-24-2005, 06:58 AM
strago -- you can control it
gau's is just random

nik0tine
05-24-2005, 07:58 AM
The FFVIII strategy guide compared Quistis's Blue Magic skill to Gau. I always thought it was pretty dumb of them to overlook that FFVI has an actual Blue Mage. Which strategy guide is this?

Takara
05-24-2005, 12:05 PM
The FFVIII strategy guide compared Quistis's Blue Magic skill to Gau. I always thought it was pretty dumb of them to overlook that FFVI has an actual Blue Mage. Which strategy guide is this?

The one by BradyGAMES, I believe.

Dreddz
06-01-2005, 11:28 AM
I thought they both sucked to be frank
But Gau had some useful moves though

ehsteve
06-19-2005, 05:38 AM
As a character, I really liked Gau. As a fighter, however, Gau sucked.

Prancing Mad
07-15-2005, 03:35 AM
Maybe this has been discussed. But the nature of Blue Magic is an imitation and mimicking of the enemy to use it's powers. Gau clearly is the real blue mage. But ya know why less people think so? 'cause you're all prejudiced! Just because he doesn't have a fancy robe and, instead, sports a man-thong does not mean he is not a blue mage. Why, he even gets status ailments because he mimics the enemy so blooming well! Now that's skill! That being said, I hated both of them, but i did rather enjoy that you could toss Gau on the veldt after acquiring him and forgetting about him! MWAHAHAHA. You could even beat on him. Finally a character you could take your rage out against!

Sasquatch
07-15-2005, 04:01 AM
A.) Gau doesn't wear a man-thong, it's a loincloth.
B.) Blue Magic doesn't mean imitating the monster in nearly every way, it means using the monster's magic. Though Strago is more of a "Blue Mage", I find Gau's skills much more useful.

Zeto
07-22-2005, 08:14 PM
Maybe this has been discussed. But the nature of Blue Magic is an imitation and mimicking of the enemy to use it's powers. Gau clearly is the real blue mage. But ya know why less people think so? 'cause you're all prejudiced! Just because he doesn't have a fancy robe and, instead, sports a man-thong does not mean he is not a blue mage. Why, he even gets status ailments because he mimics the enemy so blooming well! Now that's skill! That being said, I hated both of them, but i did rather enjoy that you could toss Gau on the veldt after acquiring him and forgetting about him! MWAHAHAHA. You could even beat on him. Finally a character you could take your rage out against!

You have a point but the but blue magic is only supposed to learn several abilities Gau actually becomes your own personal beastmaster since all he pretty much does is send out whatever monster he uses the rage of. In my opinion that seems beastmastery not blue magey.

Floorgasborg
07-25-2005, 01:19 PM
I agree with what Zeto said, and similar points made earlier. Strago's magic is clearly identified as Blue Magic, and if that is a basis to be built upon, then you can see Gau is not the same in his skill. Strago learns his when he observes the enemy's use of them, whereas Gau just runs off and has fun with the monsters and has to be found over and over again in the Veldt. Would get repetitive after a while.
Anyway, Strago's is far more Blue, but one can see why Gau's can be mistaken for it: since he emulates monster attacks (which aren't all magical, which is why the term 'Blue Magic' shoud be more specific)