PDA

View Full Version : Graduation Gift?

Alice
05-13-2005, 06:58 AM
So my graduation is coming up, and its bout that time i ask my grandparents for that graduation gift. I could let them decide on something themselves, or I could ask.
What I want is about 2000$ or so... I know If i ask theyd probably say no, but then again if i dont ask I could get stuck with something really lame... I know my grandparents aren't very techy and dont know alot about stuff, but what I want is an iMac, i just dont see them being able to pick something out for me that would last a while yah now?

Im confused, how do I handle this situation?? Ask and come across as greedy? Dont ask and get something lame? or...?

My name is...something..?
05-13-2005, 07:01 AM
You should give hints as to what you want.
Don't come out and ask just talk to them about it.
You could also say that it wopuld help you in the future.

Shlup
05-13-2005, 07:12 AM
I dunno... My gramma made me a quilt. :D

Leeza
05-13-2005, 07:18 AM
Personally, I would never ask for a gift.

Rainecloud
05-13-2005, 07:19 AM
Asking your Grandma for $2000 probably won't go down so well.

Asking your Grandma for an iMac worth $2000 probably won't seem so bad.

DMKA
05-13-2005, 07:23 AM
Like Leeza, I'd never ask for a gift. That kills any and all meaning a gift could possibly hold to me, and it makes me feel greedy and just...ugh like a bastard.

I got nothing for my graduation.

Shlup
05-13-2005, 07:26 AM
I'm going to have to agree with DMKA and Leeza. I didn't expect anything for a graduation gift. My grandma made me a quilt, my stepdad built me a blanket chest, and my mom bought me a birthstone ring. I was touched.

Shlup
05-13-2005, 08:20 AM
My aunt gave me a jewelry box and bunch and a picture frames . . . hey! I'm your nephew! Not your niece!
That is kinda weird. xD What did you do with them?

Meat Puppet
05-13-2005, 08:27 AM
Go for motorbike :cool:

Destai
05-13-2005, 08:33 AM
For christmas my god mother often asks me what I want and with a suitable price in mind I tell her. I dont see a problem with that if your granparents ask you what you want but I have no idea if thats too much to spend on a graduation gift.

Miriel
05-13-2005, 09:32 AM
My grandparents bought me dinner the day before my graduation and that was good enough for me. :)

Mookies
05-13-2005, 09:44 AM
You won't die without a new mac.
or hint that you would do better with money...

Personally give me a cookie and i'll be on my way.

Ashi
05-13-2005, 09:47 AM
Like people said, if you really want an iMac you could talk to them about it.

I never ask for gifts. Gifts I recieve from people are generally things they hear me talk about. Or like, for a while I kept borrowing my mother's digital camera for a while. So for a certain cultural celebrate where people buy gifts for each other, she got me my own.

Around here, graduation gifts seem to be bottles of perfume or watches. Although one of my aunts actually asked me what I wanted when I graduated, to which I answered "I don't know, I don't really want anything," though she got me a set of perfume bottles anyway. :love:

Mercen-X
05-13-2005, 09:51 AM
My aunt gave me a jewelry box and a buncha picture frames . . . hey! I'm your nephew! Not your niece!
That is kinda weird. xD What did you do with them?
Threw away the picture frames or Good Will or something.

The jewelry box, I stripped it of the jewelry stupidness and put a bunch of worthless crap in it. It is also a picture frame technically, so I put a coupla pics of my beautiful beloved cousins in it. At the moment, their beautiful faces are buried under more worthless crap. :( I'm inconsiderate, apparently. :(

Lich3636
05-15-2005, 04:23 AM
ask for a 2k I.R.A. they wont be able to say no because its your future Thats what im asking for ill reap my reward when im 60 :D

Kamiko
05-15-2005, 04:27 AM
I dunno... I can never get up the courage to flat out ask for something. My mother brought me up to believe it was rather rude. But that's just me. I'd just be happy with the fact that your graduating and wait for the gift to come of itself. Maybe you should wait until they ask you what you want...