PDA

View Full Version : Revolution news.

Agent Proto
05-13-2005, 07:37 AM
http://cube.ign.com/articles/613/613340p1.html

Yes. It's going to be great. Better than 360, and probably just as good as PS3.

Although Nintendo has historically selected proprietary media formats, such as the GameCube Optical Disc, for its platforms, the publisher is with Revolution opting for a more standardized medium. The new console will play standard DVD media, according to the company. Nintendo has not yet revealed if Revolution will as a result be able to play Hollywood movies on DVD, but that seems very likely at this point.

At the Game Developers' Conference in March, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata said that Revolution would offer Wi-Fi online connections out of the box and would be backward compatible with GameCube, or able to play GCN software.

At the Game Developers' Conference in March, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata said that Revolution would offer Wi-Fi online connections out of the box and would be backward compatible with GameCube, or able to play GCN software.

would be backward compatible with GameCube, or able to play GCN software.

I'm sold with the idea. Revolution for teh win. 8-)

Excelsior
05-13-2005, 07:46 AM
but it might have funkily retarded DS touch screens. which would be lame.

Destai
05-13-2005, 08:27 AM
A consoles as good as its games in my opinion. Until I hear some releases I have little interest in the new generation consoles.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
05-13-2005, 09:32 AM
Its backwards compatibility has been known for a while now. It's good to know it'll use a better format than the GameCube's mini-discs, though, and that the console itself will be even smaller than the GameCube.

Lionx
05-13-2005, 10:03 AM
Backwards compatibility is sexy..but will the controller be similar now that i think about it..

Super Christ
05-13-2005, 04:22 PM
Sounds awesome. I should probably get this thing reserved.

Old Manus
05-13-2005, 04:30 PM
As long as Nintendo get it into their hard heads that WE ARE FED UP OF MARIO! THINK OF SOMETHING ELSE!

-N-
05-13-2005, 05:06 PM
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00008979N.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Kawaii Ryűkishi
05-13-2005, 06:22 PM
Actually I anticipate and greatly enjoy every new real Mario game. The problem is the dozens of side-games that are released between each one. Mario Golf, Mario Tennis, Mario Baseball, Mario Party, etc.

XxSephirothxX
05-13-2005, 09:59 PM
I think Mario Party was a good idea that's been driven to death. The third game was my favorite--after that they've just sucked. Mario Tennis is much more fun than realistic tennis games, too. And Mario Kart rocks. But baseball, golf...eh. Anyway, I really hope Nintendo's "revolution" is something genuinely awesome. 3D sounds intriguing, and the Wi-fi connectivity is great. 100 Marios, which has been in development for years, will probably be amazing. And solely based on how absolutely amazing the next Zelda is looking to be, I can't wait to see what they can do with the series on a next-gen platform.

The ultimate irony: After all of Nintendo's promises of focusing more on revolutionizing the industry than simply releasing a system with better graphics, they come out with a processor even better than Sony's Cell. :D I think that would be awesome.

Old Manus
05-13-2005, 10:18 PM
I really find it hard to think of a good game that came out of Gamecube which didn't involve Mario.

Some ideas for Nintendo:

Grand theft Mario
Mario Pong
Gran Turismario
The Simarios
Halo-ario
Mario Wars: Battlefront
Mario-is
.Mario
Mario Fantasy
Medal of Mario: Super
Metal Gear Mario
Mario Potter
Hitmario: Contracts
The Suffering: Of Mario
Mario Tycoon
Half-Mario
Mario of Fortune

etc.

Erdrick Holmes
05-13-2005, 10:28 PM
Mario Gear X
Mario Fighter III: Third Shroom
Mega Mario X
Mario Vs SNK
Mario Rancher

I'm not big on Nintendo Consoles anymore. I'd rather get a Nintendo DS then a Revlolution

XxSephirothxX
05-13-2005, 10:31 PM
I'm not big on Nintendo Consoles anymore. I'd rather get a Nintendo DS then a Revlolution

Seems rather rash, as any real specs have yet to be revealed. What if Nintendo geared it solely towards 2D fighting games? WHAT THEN JOEL, WHAT THEN!?!?!?

Psychotic
05-13-2005, 11:06 PM
They're making another one after the flop (As far as sales are concerned, yes it was. And that's all that matters to Nintendo) of the GameCube? Oh whoop-de-do, more fanboys claiming their games are innovative and original.

Revolution? Yeah OK Nintendo, I'll believe it's a revolution when you stop relying on the same old tired franchises. At least Sony are honest when they call it the PS3.

omnitarian
05-13-2005, 11:59 PM
Why does everyone always think Nintendo is doing poorly financially? That angle is pretty tired, people.

Sephex
05-14-2005, 12:09 AM
Why does everyone always think Nintendo is doing poorly financially? That angle is pretty tired, people.

Seriously.

Anyway, yeah, I won't really pass judgement untill the big N says stuff at E3.

Psychotic
05-14-2005, 12:14 AM
Why does everyone always think Nintendo is doing poorly financially? That angle is pretty tired, people.Because their last two "main" consoles, the N64 and the GameCube, were severely hammered by the PlayStation and the PlayStation 2. I haven't compared global XBox sales to global GC sales recently, but when I last did the Xbox was just ahead.

And the angle isn't pretty tired for Nintendo. Try telling them, or any business, that money doesn't matter. If they don't make acceptable profits on the Revolution, you won't be seeing any more Nintendo consoles, with the possible exception of handhelds, and judging from how their previous two efforts fared...

omnitarian
05-14-2005, 12:44 AM
Even if Nintendo has (or will) fall into third place, there's no way you can justify using that to make judgements about their money status.

Nintendo has only posted one half-year financial loss in the 41 years they've been public. It wasn't even during the N64 days. The last time I checked, Microsoft's home and entertainment division has posted 9-figure losses each quarter. Not to bash Microsoft, but comparatively, Nintendo seems just dandy.

It's totally irrelevant who is in third, as video games are a multi-billion dollar industry, and there are only three companies at the helm.

Lionx
05-14-2005, 02:30 AM
To me, Nintendo third place or not will still gain money if they make their moves right and avoid losses. The main point is, are you having fun with your current console? If you are, then good, others are having fun with theirs o_o

BTW i think nintendo said if they are dropping out of consoles, they are gone for good so no handhelds. Be a sad day i say if it happens.

Agent Proto
05-14-2005, 02:32 AM
Yeah, Nintendo won't go the way Sega went.

A quitter, Sega is.

Rase
05-14-2005, 03:28 AM
This makes me happy. :)

Now I may get one before heading off to college, price pending at the time.