PDA

View Full Version : Princess Mononoke and other works by Hayao Miyazaki

Croyles
05-14-2005, 12:17 AM
Hi everyone. I watched Princess Mononoke when i was like 10 but didnt understand it too well. I just watched it a few days ago again and its absolutely amazing. Even now the animation and art is still good and I love all the themes in it. I thought that Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind was a pretty similar movie but its still amazing.

So what do you like about Princess Mononoke? And do you like any other works by Hayao Miyazaki such as Totoro, Nausicaa, Spirited Away, Castle in the Sky etc etc?

kikimm
05-14-2005, 12:30 AM
Miyazaki is, in my opinion, a genius, by anyone's standards. Princess Mononoke is just as good as any movie with actors in it. It's so good it hurts, especially when I'm trying not to cry. :p

Totoro was also a favorite of mine when I was a little kid. Spirited Away, while not as good as Princess Mononoke, in my opinion, was excellent too.

I'll leave it at that. I'm up for seeing anything by him, that's for sure.

:D

Croyles
05-14-2005, 12:34 AM
One thing i also love about Princess Mononoke is the soundtrack, its amazing!

Rye
05-14-2005, 12:52 AM
I've never seen it, but I think I should, since everyone loves it.

Shlup
05-14-2005, 12:53 AM
All Miyazaki films are fantastic.

Azure Chrysanthemum
05-14-2005, 01:17 AM
Hayao Miyazaki is one of the best animators alive today. He's extraordinarily talented, and the attention to detail is something not seen in other animated films. He generally follows a rather naturalist theme where technology is seen as an anathema that is destroying the world. Often, his films are quite surreal, but are all visually astounding. Also, Joe Hisashi, the composer for most of Miyazaki's films, is quite talented indeed.

If you enjoy Miyazaki's work and would like to see more of its calibur (albeit more adult in nature), then I highly recommend the works of Mamoru Oshii, creator of Ghost in the Shell. He and Miyazaki are some of the best out there.

The Captain
05-14-2005, 07:01 AM
"Hayao Miyazaki is one of the best animators alive today. He's extraordinarily talented, and the attention to detail is something not seen in other animated films. He generally follows a rather naturalist theme where technology is seen as an anathema that is destroying the world. Often, his films are quite surreal, but are all visually astounding. Also, Joe Hisashi, the composer for most of Miyazaki's films, is quite talented indeed."

Agreed entirely.

Princess Mononoke is one of those films that is an experience aside from entertaing to me. Every time I watch it, I am transported, inspired, enlightened and engulfed, something few films and pieces of art can really do.

Take care all.

DeBlayde
05-14-2005, 07:20 AM
The manga version of Nausicaa and the Valley of the Wind is about 7 parts long, but makes all kindsa more sense. They tried to jam about 7 volumes of manga into a 2 hour movie. Good movie, no question, but rather poorly developed. Doesn't in the least do credit to the scope and range that Miyazaki created when he created the world Nausicaa inhabits.

Also, I may be mistaken since much of my study of Japanese culture has been restricted to books and dojos in America, but methinks one would find Spirited Away all the more creepy and at the same time orders of magnitude more fantastic if one were Japanese. Seemed like lotsa Japanese cultural stuff in there. (like the invisible people on the river boat that became visible as they debarked. I think those were Japanese burial shrouds, but I'm probably wrong)

Princess Mononoke is by far and wide my favorite. I like Miyazaki's films because there's really no clear good guy/bad guy thing. Protagonist/antagonist certainly, but everybody has their own point of view and fights hard for what they believe to be right and come into conflict with those whose opinions differ but still believe themselves right. No film brought this out more than Princess Mononoke. Example, Lady Iboshi is a kind woman who truly wishes to care for those despised by society (lepers and prostitutes). She just has to kill a bunch of freakishly huge and odd looking animals to do so. It's a sacrifice, but one she's willing to make in order to place her people, whom she loves, into a better situation. Still, she's the antagonist. A remarkably complex character and a very well developed one.

Samuraid
05-14-2005, 07:47 AM
The soundtrack is great too. :D

Croyles
05-14-2005, 01:12 PM
They tried to jam about 7 volumes of manga into a 2 hour movie.

Princess Mononoke is one of those films that is an experience aside from entertaing to me.

I like Miyazaki's films because there's really no clear good guy/bad guy thing.
Couldnt agree more to these statements

XxSephirothxX
05-15-2005, 12:33 AM
Miyazaki's movies are masterful. Princess Mononoke is one of the best films, animated or not, that I've ever seen.

Azure Chrysanthemum
05-15-2005, 04:13 AM
Being the dabbler that I am, I've some knowledge of the Japanese culture that sparked much of what is seen in Spirited Away, and I must say I wish I understood it better because I know there's a lot more that I'm missing. It's a great movie.

Shimka
05-16-2005, 12:46 AM
All Miyazaki films are fantastic.
I agree with that guy :p

Miyazaki is just overall an unbelievable anime producer, the art, the music, and the themes of the anime are all very creative, and captivating. Miyazaki does two different themes for anime, the happy-go-lucky type like Kiki's Delivery Service, and the more mature type, like Princess Mononoke, both are great, but I prefer the more mature type, it doesn't make me feel like I'm watching a little kid's show ;)

Chibi Angel
05-16-2005, 12:58 AM
I love Miyazaki films. Princess Mononoke and Spirited away were my favorites. Kiki's delivery service was alright to. I don't remember if this one was by Miyazaki or not but I really liked Grave of the Fireflies.

Odaisé Gaelach
05-16-2005, 08:02 PM
I saw Spirited Away. Brilliant stuff. That's all I can say about it. :D

Croyles
05-17-2005, 09:08 PM
Does anyone know where i can download Nausicaa Of The Valley Of Wind mp3s? I found a place for Mononoke mp3s but not Nausicaa.

P.S Joe Hisaishi is amazing.

Dragon Ash
05-17-2005, 09:24 PM
I've seen Totoro, Nausicaa, Spirited Away and Mononoke. I loved them all but yeah Princess Mononoke is pretty similar to Nausicaa. I loved the cat bus in My Neighbour Totoro, it was so cute!

I wonder if they would ever make a sequel to Spirited Away. I know that Japanese films are supposed to leave you hanging, but it was a huge international success and I don't think they can ignore the amount of money they would make from a sequel...

Azure Chrysanthemum
05-18-2005, 02:25 AM
I wouldn't like a sequel to Spirited Away. It's open, yes, but it doesn't lend itself to a sequel.

After Chihiro returns from the Spirit World it's kind of implied that she's become a stronger person and will develop into a strong woman. She has no reason to return to the Spirit World.

kikimm
05-18-2005, 03:34 AM
I wonder if they would ever make a sequel to Spirited Away. I know that Japanese films are supposed to leave you hanging, but it was a huge international success and I don't think they can ignore the amount of money they would make from a sequel...

Yeah, see, that's what I hate. Doing it just for the money, when it's not really necessary at all. It would just get screwed up, if that's the only motivator. No thanks. :) I prefer that he just make more films.

:D

StarlightAngel
05-18-2005, 03:43 AM
After Chihiro returns from the Spirit World it's kind of implied that she's become a stronger person and will develop into a strong woman. She has no reason to return to the Spirit World.

Well, there's Haku ^^

But a sequel WOULD probably ruin some of the wonder that was in the first one :/

I LOVE Princess Mononoke! Nausicaa reminds me of Castle in the Sky, but hell, I like both of 'em!

Spirited Away is my second favorite! Sen= awesomeness

Totoro and Kiki's Delivery Service are both good too! Very happy ^^

I wanna see Porco Roso and The Cat Returns. The latter more so than the former, but still...

Rinen
05-18-2005, 03:50 AM
Originally, Miyazaki was going to retire after Mononoke Hime came out. But then he decided to make Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi. Right now, I think it might be a rumor, I'm not entirely sure, but Miyazaki might be working on making Howl's Moving Castle. After that, he might retire. I want to see all the studio ghibli films as well as any works that Miyazaki has worked on. I've seen Kiki's Delivery Service, Laputa Castle in the Sky, Nausicaa of The Valley of the Wind, Grave of the Fireflies (I can't remember if Miyazaki worked on it or not, I know it's a Ghibli film), My Neighbor Totoro, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away. I haven't had the chance to watch The Cat Returns or Porco Rosso. I know of one Ghibli film that hasn't been released, Mimi wo Sumeseba (Whisper of the Heart).

Croyles
05-18-2005, 06:54 PM
Yes I think he IS making Howl's Moving Castle, but am i correct in thinking that it wasnt him who originally came up with the story?

ShiggtyLuffLuff
05-19-2005, 07:04 AM
Definatly Mononoke is one of my favorites that he did. That is one genuis azn right there! <3

Croyles
05-23-2005, 12:31 AM
you can say that again!..............................I SAID "you can say that again!"

GO ON THEN SAY IT!

sorry, i need my daily dosage of crazyness

Hmm i watched Grave Of The Fireflies yesterday thinking that Miyazaki had some kind of influence on it but he has absolutely nothing to do with it, sigh.

DMKA
05-23-2005, 12:33 AM
Yeah, he's pretty awesome. Spirited Away is one of the best animated films ever created.