PDA

View Full Version : IBM Thinkpad with wireless....now what?

Peegee
05-14-2005, 01:39 AM
Background: I'm heading to Hong Kong in June for some accounting firm job (not full time career -- summer). My uncle's setting up all the groundwork, and just left me with an IBM Thinkpad. I'd like to get it "PG ready" -- antivirus, spyware, windows updates, you know, the works. The problem is that no drivers are installed -- no ethernet, no sound, video card, etc.

It DOES have a working wireless receiver, but I don't know how to set it up to work with my wireless router right here (and if I need admin access, I will also need help on 'resetting' the memory (hard reboot?) of the router).

So basically I'd like to know how to set up a wireless ready laptop to work with my wireless (it won't detect network card so physical connectivity is a non-issue for now) router :p I hope this doesn't take forever, as I don't want to be a hassle to y'all.

:PPPPPPPP

edit: also it lacks a cd rom drive (it is in HK), so if it requires that, then TS for PG :p

Flying Mullet
05-14-2005, 01:48 AM
Can you get an ethernet cord so that you can plug your laptop in to the router to start with?

Peegee
05-14-2005, 01:57 AM
I *can* but it doesn't detect the ethernet card (the non-wireless one), so it doesn't help much ;p

Flying Mullet
05-14-2005, 02:05 AM
If your internal wireless card is working then you should have some program installed on your computer that will let you identify and connect to the wireless router so that you can get going.

And if it doesn't have that do you checked your network connections for the wireless card and through it's properties perhaps connect to the wireless router?

Samuraid
05-14-2005, 02:10 AM
To reset your router, look for a small reset button on the underside or back. You may have to power down the router before you press the reset button though.

As for getting the laptop on wireless...
Do you have WEP, WPA, or MAC address filtering enabled on your router? If so, it may be helpful to temporarily disable them until the laptop is on the network.
You should be able to browse a list of available wireless networks on the laptop. If all works correctly, your wireless network should be available in the list. You can simply connect to it.

Note: If you re-enable and WEP or WPA, make sure you update your laptop with the correct WEP code. If you re-enable MAC filtering, make sure your laptop's MAC address is in the "allowed list" on your router.

That's it for now. Post details of any problems and surely someone will be able to help out.

Peegee
05-14-2005, 05:11 PM
after a day -- solved!

IBM thinkpad = online support = drivers.

But no cd/disk drive you say? I have usb drives! Huzzah

I'm currently installing updates from windows updates ^^