PDA

View Full Version : why is every1 so selfish?

Carl the Llama
05-14-2005, 01:01 PM
is it jus Unicorn, or do all the servers have selfish people, take yesterday for example, i was in windy and i was shouting "doe's ne1 know what a perpetual hourglass is for?" and did 1 person help me out... of corse they didnt, i asked a mentor and lo and behold, he ignored me also, and when i first went to windy i shouted "does ne1 know where the sandorian consul is and i got 1 reply it was "yes i do know where it is... i asked him where and he replyed "look for it" :mad: i mean how rude is that, people like that really spoil the game why cant every1 be nice and cortous like me, whenever some1 shout's for help i always try my best to help them out id even try asking my ls buddies, but no1 ever seem's to return the favor. ok thanks for listening to my rant im going to go sluk in the corner now :cry:

Misfit
05-14-2005, 04:53 PM
Because you're in the wrong server!

Pandemonium = Nicest server around! ... *coughs*

But anyways, I always help out if I can. Usually because I'm always bored of leveling so I go and do other stuff, like help people with quests or missions or whatever my level allows. ^_^ And if I can't help, I ask my LS or friends

eestlinc
05-14-2005, 05:48 PM
see, video games do teach valuable life lessons: most people are jerks. :D

Vaprice
05-14-2005, 08:41 PM
You see at the Linkshell RedLotus and on midgardsormr we like to treat everyopne with the greatest respect. I myself would like to help anyone with anything. If Im in sandy and someone needs my help in windy I would gladly go over to them and help. We like to help new players by; helping with missions, giving information, and the rights from wrongs, etc.

So it might just be your serve :D ^^ so come onto ours ^^ we love it.

Miriel
05-14-2005, 10:05 PM
I've met a lot of really stupid people in the game, but not too many flat out jerks.

When I first started on Asura, I remember random people asking me if I was new and giving me tips and gil/equipment. The number of really helpful, friendly people I've met in the game far outnumbers the number of jerks I've met.

Just a few days ago I was in leveling in La Theine, and was about to die when a white mage got off her chocobo and helped me. That was nice. :)

Also, if you really want people to take you seriously and help you, try actually spelling out "anyone" rather than saying "ne1" I'm sure you'll get a lot more responses.

lordblazer
05-14-2005, 11:49 PM
Because you're in the wrong server!

Pandemonium = Nicest server around! ... *coughs*

But anyways, I always help out if I can. Usually because I'm always bored of leveling so I go and do other stuff, like help people with quests or missions or whatever my level allows. ^_^ And if I can't help, I ask my LS or friends
lol yeah join me and misfit and that other EOFFer i forget that person.We are on pandy and its the nicest server.

abrojtm
05-15-2005, 12:13 AM
I was on Pandemonium ;).

Lionx
05-15-2005, 02:49 AM
The fact is that whenever i see slang on the net like ne1 or r u ok? that usually means that person is a young or immature person and that its not worth my time usually because most of them do not ever put forth the effort in the game and like to mooch and generally rude. Not to say all are but alot of them are like that. First impression based on the way you type is a very important part of how people percieve you on the internet.

The point is that in sandy to find consulates there is an easy to do it. I can see where that guy came from. Its not that hard, pull out your map and look for it. If you dont find it ask your Linkshell (you DO have one right?) or a friend. If you still dotn know you can consul the websites they have floating around the net for help. Just put forth the effort, i never knew where the consul was when i first went to sandoria but when i look at the map i noted key things and i found it eventually when i went to NSand.

Most Mentors are in it for the high and mighty non-newb thing. Thats all.

There ARE some jerks admittingly and thats why i wont usually help others unless theres a mutual benefit or that is a friend or a friend of a friend.

Lich3636
05-15-2005, 04:01 AM
see, video games do teach valuable life lessons: most people are jerks. :D

amen

Rostum
05-15-2005, 07:03 AM
Plus, the only requirement of being a Mentor is having a level 30 job. Most people wing it to level 30, so I don't really see how anyone can rely on a Mentor. I think it was a silly thing to be introduced at that level.

Misfit
05-15-2005, 05:00 PM
Plus, the only requirement of being a Mentor is having a level 30 job. Most people wing it to level 30, so I don't really see how anyone can rely on a Mentor. I think it was a silly thing to be introduced at that level.
I said that on the Alla forums a while back and got rated down :D

I hate that place! >:(

Anyways, I agree O_o

lordblazer
05-15-2005, 05:41 PM
lol i didn't wing it to lvl 30 heck i was reckless on the way to getting my first job to lvl 30.It was tough i soloed my WAR from lvl 1-6 then started PTing and learning aobut different tactics and all that kewl stuff.Then at lvl 17 me and a partner did our rank 3 quest.Ten at lvl 20 i couldn't get into PTs so i had to solo to lvl 25.I did the keys with my partner erikorn akak zefal now.Then headed for kazham.Werepeople treated me like crap but wanted me to tank but refused to heal me between fights and during fights yet i had to tank.And when somethign went wrong.I get kicked.Like lets see the tank dies due to WHM rejection towards healing me.Thent he PT leader gets mad at me and kicks me.Happened several times.I struggled to get my WAR to lvl 30 but when i did.Man I was glad.But then I got kicked out of Fallen Trinity Linkshell.They suck and it was really wat soul reaper said.HE just smarted off at me.I told grania and gilean.and he apologized so no biggy.I was offered to get back in but naw i turned it down.Then i decided to go with Bard.Before that i reached rank 5 .Then wanted to go Bard.It was even tougher.once at lvl 9 me and zefal aka erikorn headed forMhaura made it there.He told me about this LS I wa like kewl. Anyway during the ship ride to selbina we got attacked by pirates.I ran and hid me and zefal.Anyway when we made it to selbina i was greeted by a galka and he gave me a pearl to the new ls zefal was telling me about.Then thats were my bard's tale starts lol.

also people who use internet slang aren't really immature you don't know until you have a personal conversation with them.I do it sometimes just to make more space so i can say a lot lol.

Fullmonty
05-15-2005, 10:04 PM
The fact is that whenever i see slang on the net like ne1 or r u ok? that usually means that person is a young or immature person and that its not worth my time usually because most of them do not ever put forth the effort in the game and like to mooch and generally rude. Not to say all are but alot of them are like that. First impression based on the way you type is a very important part of how people percieve you on the internet.

The point is that in sandy to find consulates there is an easy to do it. I can see where that guy came from. Its not that hard, pull out your map and look for it. If you dont find it ask your Linkshell (you DO have one right?) or a friend. If you still dotn know you can consul the websites they have floating around the net for help. Just put forth the effort, i never knew where the consul was when i first went to sandoria but when i look at the map i noted key things and i found it eventually when i went to NSand.

Most Mentors are in it for the high and mighty non-newb thing. Thats all.

There ARE some jerks admittingly and thats why i wont usually help others unless theres a mutual benefit or that is a friend or a friend of a friend.

I agree with lion, the way you type shows kinda how mature you are, and how lazy. This applies really hard to Japanese players (which are awesome to party with if you havent yet) They are all about respect and stuff like that. There are MANY guides on the internet and such that explain everything you couuld ever want to know. Oh, and please and thank you go a long way.... :-P

Rostum
05-16-2005, 01:17 AM
lol i didn't wing it to lvl 30 heck i was reckless on the way to getting my first job to lvl 30.It was tough i soloed my WAR from lvl 1-6 then started PTing and learning aobut different tactics and all that kewl stuff.Then at lvl 17 me and a partner did our rank 3 quest.Ten at lvl 20 i couldn't get into PTs so i had to solo to lvl 25.I did the keys with my partner erikorn akak zefal now.Then headed for kazham.Werepeople treated me like crap but wanted me to tank but refused to heal me between fights and during fights yet i had to tank.And when somethign went wrong.I get kicked.Like lets see the tank dies due to WHM rejection towards healing me.Thent he PT leader gets mad at me and kicks me.Happened several times.I struggled to get my WAR to lvl 30 but when i did.Man I was glad.But then I got kicked out of Fallen Trinity Linkshell.They suck and it was really wat soul reaper said.HE just smarted off at me.I told grania and gilean.and he apologized so no biggy.I was offered to get back in but naw i turned it down.Then i decided to go with Bard.Before that i reached rank 5 .Then wanted to go Bard.It was even tougher.once at lvl 9 me and zefal aka erikorn headed forMhaura made it there.He told me about this LS I wa like kewl. Anyway during the ship ride to selbina we got attacked by pirates.I ran and hid me and zefal.Anyway when we made it to selbina i was greeted by a galka and he gave me a pearl to the new ls zefal was telling me about.Then thats were my bard's tale starts lol.

also people who use internet slang aren't really immature you don't know until you have a personal conversation with them.I do it sometimes just to make more space so i can say a lot lol.

Firstly, I don't care about your life story. =P A lot of people do wing it to level 30, and for those who don't, level 30 is a small level. You don't learn very much on your first job to level 30 - at all.

Edit: Okay I read the rest of your post, and it does seem like you winged it to 30. =P

Secondly, internet slang is horrible. It hurts the eyes of so many. If you wanted to type more, then just type it properly. It doesn't hurt so much then.

Vyk
05-16-2005, 01:35 AM
I agree. Though I'm not an FFXI player. I used to use netslang/shorthand myself. But now I realize it's a disgraceful butchery of our language and find it hard to tolerate conversations with people that use it, because it really just grates my nerves. And yes, it does make you seem really immature and impatient. Which is not something people want from someone who supposedly needs their help. They want to help people who are willing to try first, and are appreciative when help is given when it really is needed and such.

Lionx
05-16-2005, 03:21 AM
I know it might seem rude, but again i say, finding the sandy consulate is not hard at all...just look =/

UltimateSpamGrover
05-16-2005, 08:29 PM
....about the Perpetual Hourglass, it takes you to Dynamis where you get Relic Armor.

Roogle
05-16-2005, 10:00 PM

Well, I complete Promathia missions every week with the same people, and we voice chat to each other while we do it. They can't type at all, but I'm sure if it came down to it, they could probably type a little better — still, they say things like, "why did u do that LOL" and they're all at least ten years older than me except for one person, so I don't think it's a measure of maturity or age.

It just comes down to a mentality that is all too irrelevant to FINAL FANTASY XI, yet so relevant at the same time!

Lionx
05-17-2005, 01:12 AM
I am not saying its THE only way to interpet or the defining way to, but it is a way that some people interpt you. who are you going to take more seriously to some stranger? "I need some help, can anyone help me?" or "can ne1 help me kthx" >_>?

Lord Chainsaw
05-17-2005, 04:30 AM
In all of my years of MMORPG sagacity, here's what I learned:

People don't respond to a question when you shout it. That's just the way life is in MMORPGs. Why? Possibly because they feel it isn't their duty to answer. They don't want to take the time and effort to answer it when someone else could. After all, why should JoePaladin go through the trouble to answer a shout question when Jameswizard also knows the answer?

Here's how you deal with that: You send people tells when you need to ask a question. That's right. Random people if you have to. Just because they ignore the shouts doesn't mean they're rude. They simply don't think they're obliged to answer.If you send a tell, they can't point the finger at someone else to answer it. Don't be afraid to talk to a stranger. You'll find the majority of players to be quite nice, even if you just strike up a random conversation with them in tells. As Icewires, I do it all the time. I'll have a question or something, and I'll end up getting in a five minute random conversation with a stranger. Plus, I'll have my question answered.

And yes, every once in a while you'll find someone who won't help you, but for every one of those, there are five more who are willing to help you, or at least try to help you even if they don't know the answer to your question.

Go out there, be out going, and talk to strangers. After all, it is...

CommunityXI

Fullmonty
05-18-2005, 05:24 PM
i say again, there are 80 million websites where you can find information on anything you need to know about FFXI.

SNOOZER
05-18-2005, 06:43 PM
I always thought Pandy is full of jerks.

^o^;

Just kidding.

Just look out for Kiriyama, Miggs, Westslayer, Fuchikoma, Shyota... those guys are total assheads.

Misfit
05-18-2005, 09:05 PM
I always thought Pandy is full of jerks.

^o^;

Just kidding.

Just look out for Kiriyama, Miggs, Westslayer, Fuchikoma, Shyota... those guys are total assheads.
Miggs helped me with rank 5 before. xP

But yeah, that Kiriyama guy = Well known MPKer.

SNOOZER
05-18-2005, 09:51 PM
You know you have a secret longing for Kiriyama. His handsome stride, boyish charm, sharp wit, rippling six-pac abs....... mmmm....

:shifty:

What?

Carl the Llama
05-23-2005, 04:41 PM
I know it might seem rude, but again i say, finding the sandy consulate is not hard at all...just look =/

lmao i said i was in windy not sandy im from sandy and ok from now on ill jus ask the people about the questions i have and i will try harder to write in full length words

lordblazer
05-24-2005, 12:25 AM

Firstly, I don't care about your life story. =P A lot of people do wing it to level 30, and for those who don't, level 30 is a small level. You don't learn very much on your first job to level 30 - at all.

Edit: Okay I read the rest of your post, and it does seem like you winged it to 30. =P

Secondly, internet slang is horrible. It hurts the eyes of so many. If you wanted to type more, then just type it properly. It doesn't hurt so much then.
depends on the slang dude.If its numbers replacing letters yes it is horrible and i think that takes more effort than just typing the letters.If its like your wanting to say the word "what" but instead you say "wat to have more typing space. then its alright.In a sense they have a right to type slang.They aren't turning in their midterm paper on a video game.People on the net also has a right to be a prick about people who use internet slang i.e. you and lionx and others who complain.Me I don't care as long as I can understand it and as long as there are letters used and if your sayinf the word "for" and replace it with "4" its fine by me.I don't think it shows immaturity it may show lazyiness,but who cares as long as you can understand it in the end of it all no matter how long it takes you to understand it.YOu just have to deal with what was dealt to you and really not complain about it. The thing is people who use slang really isn't a problem or chat rooms and messagbaords would be banning users who do.Standards are set by regular users.but that doesn't mean we have to follow them and if they hate us oh well thats ther eproblem not mines.Because in fact telling someone not to use slang is ok but judging that person personality is really unacceptable mainly because you probaly saw it in a /shout or in a ls chat from a user you never talk to anyway or heck a /t from a anon. user.Personally you do have a right on the net to really not like those who use slang on the net.But really is that maturity to judge someone based on that?

Some guy who wil say they are "intellegent"for making harsh judgements on that simple fact of someone using internet slang will probaly bring up some stupid point on here.I'm gonna go ahead and say it even though that guy would see this in my post but leave it out in their quote of this post.

Rostum
05-24-2005, 07:22 AM
What the...?

I'm not complaining about it. >.>; I'm saying I don't like it, does that stop you from doing it? No, of course not - because I try to respect how everyone feels. I have just as much right not to like it, as you do to like it.

You really posted something totaly irrelevant, because no one really cares if people use internet slang (apart from 1337 speak). Seriously, no one really gives much of a damn if it's in chat or in an online game.

All in all I think it's horrible using "u" as "You", "r" as "Are" and so forth. It's just as easy to type the word, it's also easy to type paragraphs. But that doesn't mean I force people not to type that way. >.>;

Miriel
05-24-2005, 07:38 AM
I appreciate proper spelling even if it is only an online game. There's more of a chance that I'll like and respect a person if they take the time to spell out words and if they know the difference between words like you're and your. I also like it when people actually leave a space after a period. But maybe I'm just anal like that.

Lionx
05-24-2005, 06:46 PM
Being a WHM sometimes its annoying..

Raise Plz kthx
Rezplz
(Raise) <pos>

or should i actually listen to:

Sorry to bother you but if you could can you help us with a (Raise) @ <pos>?

Now which one would i actually listen to more..?

lordblazer
05-27-2005, 05:19 AM
Shouldn't matter they need your help.Part of the role of being a WHM is to be selfless basicly.Mainly because your the healer.YOu can't be selfish.Only DDs get that right lol.But there are some pretty selfish WHMS if you ask nicely for a Raise they'll say hell no or tell you to give them 500k gil.

Really just do the best you can.But yeah I'm glad I'm a Bard.

Rostum
05-27-2005, 09:59 AM
It's not just WHM's that are selfish. They're allowed to be if they want - as far as they're concerned you're a stranger to them. They could be one of the most helpful people to their friends and linkshell members.

You can't just judge someone on if they don't want to go out of their way to raise or teleport you.

Carl the Llama
05-27-2005, 10:52 AM
I am a futre WHM :D and i love helping people, weather stranger or not, i have chosen WHM as i want to be everyones friend, but the otherday i saved someones life and they didnt do an emote!! so i was a little unhappy about that, i would understand if i was in a party as its my job to heal there but when im in the field and i see someone that needs healing i would always go heal them, but i would always expect these people to show there gratitude

Lionx
05-27-2005, 05:59 PM
I am sorry LordBlazer but in no way am i paying per month to serve everyone thats a non-WHM. I will help them if i could and if its convienent for me but if you are asking me to come accross a zone to give you an R2 and you want an R3 and i couldnt give one to you, well frankly thats too bad.

If i am on a chocobo and i get off to Raise your butt in some random area i expect you to at LEAST pay for the chocobo you cost me, and thats really already ripping ME off because you have to factor in the time i am going to waste and not to mention if someone is waiting for me thats my time wasted and multiplied by how many people waiting.

Bottom line: Yes we should help people WHEN WE CAN, we have no obligation to give things to you on a silver platter, and in the case we do you pay for our monthly fee.

Many people like you think we WHMs have to do everything sacrificing our own time and money and even risk death to help save you. Its the reason why most WHMs refuse to do anything outside their LSs becuase most people, are self-fish. I too came into the WHM profession because i always loved to be the one that helps the most, the pivitol point of the party. However alot of the times people's unreasonable requests make me be more selective about my services. Doesnt mean i wont raise you if i see you dead in front of me, but i wont go 3 zones away to give you a freaking Raise.

Carl the Llama
05-27-2005, 06:32 PM
I am sorry LordBlazer but in no way am i paying per month to serve everyone thats a non-WHM. I will help them if i could and if its convienent for me but if you are asking me to come accross a zone to give you an R2 and you want an R3 and i couldnt give one to you, well frankly thats too bad.

If i am on a chocobo and i get off to Raise your butt in some random area i expect you to at LEAST pay for the chocobo you cost me, and thats really already ripping ME off because you have to factor in the time i am going to waste and not to mention if someone is waiting for me thats my time wasted and multiplied by how many people waiting.

Bottom line: Yes we should help people WHEN WE CAN, we have no obligation to give things to you on a silver platter, and in the case we do you pay for our monthly fee.

Many people like you think we WHMs have to do everything sacrificing our own time and money and even risk death to help save you. Its the reason why most WHMs refuse to do anything outside their LSs becuase most people, are self-fish. I too came into the WHM profession because i always loved to be the one that helps the most, the pivitol point of the party. However alot of the times people's unreasonable requests make me be more selective about my services. Doesnt mean i wont raise you if i see you dead in front of me, but i wont go 3 zones away to give you a freaking Raise.
Right on!!! :beer: