PDA

View Full Version : Punish the Monkey >=)

Chris
05-14-2005, 04:17 PM
http://www.wakagashira.com/images/badmonkey.gif

How do you feel about spanking kids?
Sometimes it's necessary to discipline them; is spanking the right way to do it?
What consequences do think it'll have later in life?

Were you ever spanked as a kid?

Destai
05-14-2005, 04:25 PM
Yes Ive was spanked when I was a kid and I dont see anything wrong with it. I think you need to give a child punishments when they misbehave and rewards when they behave. I dont think you can have one without the other or it wont effect the kid well. As long as its only a slap on the leg or the behind and not someplace like the side of the head and not unnecessarily hard I dont think there should be a problem with it.

Dr.K
05-14-2005, 04:34 PM
Different kids will react to spanking in different ways, but I generally think spanking should only be used as a complete last resort. I was spanked as a kid, and it didn't make me turn out violent or aggressive, but on some kids it could easily have that effect, which is why I wouldn't condone it unless completely necessary. Spanked kids could grow up being conditioned to violence as being a solution to the obstacles they encounter in life, with obvious consequences. Stern words work better methinks.

Resha
05-14-2005, 04:53 PM
I was totally spanked. In fact, there's a REASON why I like monkeys so much! Here goes...

Once upon a time when I was a little girl, I was a bad and naughty little girl. :( Yes, I was. Everyone used to come to me and tell me that I was a total little devil and MONKEY! OOOMG! MONKEY!

So I started believing that I was actually related to monkeys, and that I was special...:love: MONKEYS ARE MY BROTHERS AND SISTERS! Well, we still have that bond, monkeys and me. :D

END!

Meat Puppet
05-14-2005, 04:53 PM
everyone deserves a good old spanking sometimes (especially Monkey)

ThroneofDravaris
05-14-2005, 05:05 PM
Err, do you realise that spanking is a metaphor for something else? It causes this tread to take on a whole new meaning…

If you did and posted in light of this, then I apologise.

Rye
05-14-2005, 05:23 PM
Sometimes I think spanking is cruel, but sometimes I think that kids need disciple. :/

I thought this thread was gonna be about this online game, Spank the Monkey. It's perfectly appropriate, btw, those who never played it. xD (http://www.funnyjunk.com/pages/spank_the_money.htm)

391 is my record for today, but I've scored much higher. :)

KuRt
05-14-2005, 05:25 PM
Yeah! punish monkey! she deserves to be punished!!

Craig
05-14-2005, 05:29 PM
Yes, I think spanking is fine, aslong as it's used within reason. I was spanked as a kid.

And I got an 840.

Jess
05-14-2005, 05:29 PM
I think there are other ways of punishment rather than spanking.

Rainecloud
05-14-2005, 05:32 PM
I think there is other ways of punishment rather than spanking.

There are, most definitely.

Although spanking may work in some cases, we prefer to use different methods.

rubah
05-14-2005, 05:32 PM
I haven't been spanked since I was four, but then again apparently I didn't need it too muchX.x;

boris no no
05-14-2005, 05:34 PM
on the bum or back of the hand yes
not beating them to a pulp

Shoeberto
05-14-2005, 05:36 PM
My parents never used physical force on me. I only ever had to stand in the corner, and I did. Pretty sure I turned out okay.

udsuna
05-14-2005, 05:38 PM
I've been spanked on occassions. I was an awful child, I deserved worse than I got. If I went back in time about 5-6 years (maybe longer)... I'd probably hunt down my younger self and give me the beating I so richly deserved.

That being said, I think their are better methods of punishing than a spanking. It's too... violent... and it can lead to more serious psychological/emotional issues. I have nothing at ALL against using pain-responce for discipline, I recommend pressure-point method (clean, easy, quick, and it gets the message across DURING the bad behavior, not after, which sets it in the child's mind far better).

Rainecloud
05-14-2005, 05:41 PM

On an amusing side note, the monkey in the picture looks like he's really enjoying himself.

:p

Del Murder
05-14-2005, 05:44 PM
I don't see a problem with a spanking if it is used as a last resort. The threat of it is much more effective, however.

Chris
05-14-2005, 05:46 PM
My parents never used physical force on me. I only ever had to stand in the corner, and I did. Pretty sure I turned out okay.

boris no no
05-14-2005, 05:57 PM
got smacked quite alot. my dad mainly scared us by threatening to do worse :'( but i love my daddy and i can understand why he got so angry. my mum was so against any sort of contact that she really had nothing to do with our upbringing. so daddy was alone to basically raise 4 toddles :-/ poor daddy.
i was a horrible child and even worse teenager...in fact not alot has changed :(

Chris
05-14-2005, 06:06 PM
I could never ever imagine spanking my kid (who seriously could).
The thought of ever laying a hand on my kid; just brakes my heart.

Ps: I do not have a child.

KuRt
05-14-2005, 07:03 PM
I´ve never been spanked, only been yelled a couple of hundred thousand times :eek: :mad: :mad2: :cry:

Jojee
05-14-2005, 07:39 PM
everyone deserves a good old spanking sometimes (especially Monkey) I've been a good girl... :(

Yeah! punish monkey! she deserves to be punished!! Wtf ;) *shoots you in the arse*

on the bum or back of the hand yes
not beating them to a pulp
Boris said it ^_^

Sphere
05-14-2005, 07:45 PM
Hmm... I was a few times, and I completely dissagree with resulting to abuse or violence as a form of discipline. Verbal abuse involving excessive foul language should not be used as well, as emotional scarring is far worse than physical.

EDIT: Message withdrawn, too much information :P

And I scored an 942 on "spank the monkey" ^_^

Old Manus
05-14-2005, 07:57 PM
They should bring back the cane and conscription.

Psychotic
05-14-2005, 08:00 PM
I want to punch Jojo in the face.

...twice.

Yamaneko
05-14-2005, 08:06 PM
There's nothing wrong with it. In fact parents don't do it enough (in moderations of course and under special circumstances) and the kid grows up thinking they're a prince or princess.

Resha
05-14-2005, 08:44 PM
got smacked quite alot. my dad mainly scared us by threatening to do worse :'( but i love my daddy and i can understand why he got so angry. my mum was so against any sort of contact that she really had nothing to do with our upbringing. so daddy was alone to basically raise 4 toddles :-/ poor daddy.
i was a horrible child and even worse teenager...in fact not alot has changed :(

Well, seeing as you're the only other person who got smacked...:<3: Me too! By my mummie, mostly. But it's all good! ^_^ My mum rocks. My daddie never, hardly ever. But my mother's temper has mellowed down, so my bro' is lucky. ;) I LUFF MY MUMMIE! And I'm pretty sure I whacked back once...or...twice...or...maybe...thrice... :love:

louby_4eva
05-14-2005, 08:48 PM
I was, my mum stresses easily, she used to hit me hard and across the face, for little things like, not being able to find the TV romote, I turned out ok, I'm a happy lil bunny. She's calmer now and rarely hits my younger brother and sisters. I would never hit a child, I hated it and wouldn't want someone else to go through it.

Smile and Be happy :love:

Jojee
05-14-2005, 08:53 PM
Yeah, I turned out okay, and my grandpa used to chase me around and hit me with those long/thin sticks that Chinese people use to scratch their back with and it left lashes ;] I'm still fine, aren't I? I think physical punishment is necessary sometimes, as long as you don't overdo it.

T-MaN
05-14-2005, 09:20 PM
I remember when I went to visit my grandparents farm when I was a kid, I always used to go up to the neighbour's field, and eat their strawberries. Yuum. :love:
Eventually, the neigbours found out (who wouldn't after seeing half their strawberries disappear?) and they caught me eating more strawberries. I got beaten with a stick, but then I bit their leg and ran off.
In this case, spanking didn't have that much of an effect on me (except leaving me a scar) since I continued to go to their field and eat their strawberries. * Hey, I was a little kid back then, I didn't have much common sense to stop eating what I liked*

Jojee
05-14-2005, 09:21 PM
Omg the neighbors tried to hit you and you BIT them? XD You are my new hero :p They shouldn't be hitting little kids anyway, especially ones that aren't theirs.

MoonZapdos
05-14-2005, 09:24 PM

How do you feel about spanking kids?
Sometimes it's necessary to discipline them; is spanking the right way to do it?
What consequences do think it'll have later in life?

Were you ever spanked as a kid?´

If it is spanking other kids that's fine.
The right way? Just some times.
Consequences? Those kids could spank their parents later in life.
I am a "kid" and I am spanked by my stupid mother. I'm 13 you take your conclusions.

Strider
05-14-2005, 09:41 PM
Anyone's who's ever been to the Best Page in the Universe knows exactly what's up.

XxSephirothxX
05-15-2005, 12:15 AM
Never have been, and don't think of it as a good way to teach children. Then again, as I've never had it done to me, I'm obviously a bit biased on the subject.

Shlup
05-15-2005, 12:58 AM
The opinion of most childcare professionals is thus:

There is a difference between a spanking intended to cause pain, a spanking that uses an object, a spanking to humiliate, and a swift swat on the butt. Our job as adults is not to harm or humiliate children, but to teach them. When they're still in diapers they've got padding, so as long as you're not really pissed off or strong-arming it, a swat on the butt is an effective way to get their attention when used sparingly, and coupled with an explaination of what's happening.

Punishments (those things that cause children pain, guilt or humilation) are not substitutes for guidance and discipline (those that teach), and if an adult treats them as such then they're doing they're doing humanity a great disservice.

This has been discussed in so many of my classes I could practically write a code of ethics book for spanking. :p

Leeza
05-15-2005, 01:11 AM
Thank you, Shlup. That's my stance on the subject. I can count how many times I've spanked my daughter on one hand. They were all when she was doing something dangerous and she had plenty of padding on her bum at the time as well.

A grown person hitting/spanking a child is just wrong. I think my daughter is just fine without having any spankings and she isn't a little princess, Yams. :)

Yamaneko
05-15-2005, 01:33 AM
Well, I got spanked quite a bit when I was young, and I turned out... oh wait, forget it, nevermind. :D

I just can't stand these parents that give their kids whatever they want. I just feel like ringing them by the neck and calling them fools.

theundeadhero
05-15-2005, 10:25 AM
I got spanked a lot as a kid. It worked very well. As Del Murder mentioned, after a few spakings the fear of a spanking starts to kick in and then you don't do bad things because you don't want to get a spanking. After the kid gets older than they become less than effective. Thats when you have the groundings and corners and other things.

Shlup
05-15-2005, 11:04 AM
To Yams: Parenting isn't a deal where you either hit your kids or you spoil them.

To theundeadhero: The goal of discipline is to teach. Physical punishments don't teach "I should not throw my food, I should eat my food because that's the appropriate thing to do," it teaches "I should not throw my food because I will be hit, and I do not like being hit."

Obviously a couple of spankings isn't going to raise psycho-killers or anything, but there are simply better things to do. You want your children to internalize good things, not behave out of fear of pain.

theundeadhero
05-15-2005, 01:00 PM
To theundeadhero: The goal of discipline is to teach. Physical punishments don't teach "I should not throw my food, I should eat my food because that's the appropriate thing to do," it teaches "I should not throw my food because I will be hit, and I do not like being hit."
I disagree.

Let's say a four year old is throwing her food. The parent can choose to give their daughter a whippin or to send her to the corner.

When you give them a whipping they understand that they got a whipping for throwing their food instead of eating it. They will learn that it's wrong to throw food. The fear of a spanking is reinforcement so that the girl doesn't keep throwing food even though she knows it's wrong. She still learn whats right. It's the fear of a spanking that helps her to choose the right thing to do instead of the wrong.

Sending her to the corner is just a lesser form of the same thing. She learns that she had to go to the corner because she was throwing her food. She still learns that throwing her food is wrong, but the fear of standing in the corner is much less than the fear of getting a whippin, so she is more likely to do it again.

I know if my Mom told me I would get a whippin if I did something I was much more inclined not to do it than if she told me I would go to the corner. Going to the corner didn't seem all the bad. Whippins were the worst thing in the world! :eek:

Croyles
05-15-2005, 02:08 PM
Give them love and they wont necessarily see it as a reward of behaving badly, but rather start loving others.
I dont believe in behaving out of fear, but out of love.
347 miles per hour
EDIT: 535 after a few minutes of trying