PDA

View Full Version : What's the big deal? (spoilers)

Sasquatch
05-14-2005, 05:55 PM
Alright, I'm getting kinda tired of this. Aeris. So she died. Big whoop. Who cares? Is it really that big of a deal? She had no personality, little development, and was terrible in battle. Was it really that bad to see her go? Why does everybody make a big deal out of it, like they were in tears when they saw it happen? Not only is it "just a game" (I know some people get deeply involved with the games, but still), she was an innocent character, and something bad had to happen to her, especially when she's stupid enough to go search for something all by herself.

And really, was it that surprising? C'mon now.

Nobody cries when General Leo dies.

rubah
05-14-2005, 06:01 PM
The first time I had played the game, I had already heard what happened to her, and judging from people's thoughts, she seemed like the sweetest most angelic thing on earthX.x;

And then she wasn't, and I was surprised. But that makes her sorta cooler:D

Legendary Caladbolg
05-14-2005, 06:05 PM
She's not bad in battle. You just probably don't know how to use her.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
05-14-2005, 06:15 PM
The overall direction of the scenes preceding, including, and following the actually impalement were rather heartbreakingly artful. Or artfully heartbreaking. Her stillness as she's locked in prayer, Cloud twitchingly holding his sword over her head all possessed with that creepy mind-control music, the abruptness of Sephiroth falling out of nowhere and his sword plunging right through her body, the way her eyes go wide and her hair comes undone and the White Materia falls to the floor with a clink and that sentimental music starts just as it does, the way Cloud trembles as he holds her in his arms while Jenovaroth indifferently gloats, the battle with Jenova-LIFE with the music still playing and Cloud killing it in one turn with Meteorain and righteous anger (well, the way I play), the rest of the party's individual reactions to it all, with Red mournfully howling and Yuffie breaking down and Cait Sith trying to cheer Cloud up before bowing both his heads and waddling away... That's more than enough to bring a tear to someone's eye, man, especially in 1997.

Chris
05-14-2005, 06:19 PM
It was just such a shock when it first happened.
I was so completely stunned; I never saw it coming, really, I think it's a shock-factor.

Seal Evil
05-14-2005, 06:26 PM
She's not bad in battle. You just probably don't know how to use her.
Yeah, I agree.

& I thought it was very sad when she died.

Games are the same as movies. They're only movies, with actors, but still... when people die, it can be very upsetting. Especially when you've 'known' that character from the beginning.

Captain Maxx Power
05-14-2005, 07:21 PM
Being somewhat of a heartless monster, I laughed when the sword nailed her for some unbenowst reason. Even now the thought of the event raises a smile. A different reaction to be sure, but still profound none-the-less.

TurkSlayer
05-14-2005, 07:54 PM
I wasn't suprised at all. I mean, she leaves,and all her stuff is returned to you, so it was obvious (to me at least) that she wasn't coming back. I wasn't really upset when I saw her die, but I did find it a little sad (which i think was because of the music.) I didn't actually hate her the first time I played, just really didn't like her. It wasn't until I read all the ressurection rumors that I started to hate her. But no, I've never understood people who were so upset by her death.

redxiiii
05-14-2005, 08:14 PM
I wish I remembered how I reacted to Aerie`s death, but it was so long ago, to be honest I think I didn`t really care,probably because I never really used her at all and she felt quite annoying.

vg_freddy
05-14-2005, 10:32 PM
I do remember i wasn't playing actually, i was just in my bed in front of the TV, my brother was playing, and then i see how sephiroth gets his sword on her. I was like O_O surprised, i didn't thought this was gonna happen, i played first the FFIX and i thought that they'd be just a happy couple like garnet and zidane, but nooo! so bad, she was good in battle, at least in my game! XD

TasteyPies
05-14-2005, 10:55 PM
Aeris was great in a support role. I missed her ability to heal.

Delta
05-15-2005, 06:31 PM
And really, was it that surprising? C'mon now.

No it wasn't you see it on the back of the box ;) .

Chibi Angel
05-16-2005, 01:17 AM
Being somewhat of a heartless monster, I laughed when the sword nailed her for some unbenowst reason.

So did me and my sister, the first time, my other sister was horrified. Then my sister (the horrified one)kept getting killed by the boss right after that so she had to keep watching it over and over again.

Gwelenguchenkus
05-16-2005, 04:57 AM
Aeris had the best limit breaks in the game, in my opinion. One of her limit breaks, she raises everyone else's limit gauge to full, making them deal tons of damage usually.

For her final limit break, she makes everyone invincible for a LONG time, and also healing them to full health so that they can take hits even after it wears off, but by then you'll have obliterated the enemies.

She has the best magic and spirit in the game by far, and a HUGE MP pool.

Aeris not useful? Hardly!

And you're telling me she had no personality? She had as much personality as anynoe else in the group, in fact up to the point where she dies, she is prety much considered one of the main characters.

Her death scene was beautifully executed, as ryukishi exclaims pretty well in his post. I know the graphics aren't fantastic, but for 1997 they were amazing.

Dreddz
05-16-2005, 08:00 AM
I didnt really care
She was weak, but did have some good limits like heal
It was a shock that she died as she was the first FF main party character to die.

DMKA
05-16-2005, 09:35 AM
The overall direction of the scenes preceding, including, and following the actually impalement were rather heartbreakingly artful. Or artfully heartbreaking. Her stillness as she's locked in prayer, Cloud twitchingly holding his sword over her head all possessed with that creepy mind-control music, the abruptness of Sephiroth falling out of nowhere and his sword plunging right through her body, the way her eyes go wide and her hair comes undone and the White Materia falls to the floor with a clink and that sentimental music starts just as it does, the way Cloud trembles as he holds her in his arms while Jenovaroth indifferently gloats, the battle with Jenova-LIFE with the music still playing and Cloud killing it in one turn with Meteorain and righteous anger (well, the way I play), the rest of the party's individual reactions to it all, with Red mournfully howling and Yuffie breaking down and Cait Sith trying to cheer Cloud up before bowing both his heads and waddling away... That's more than enough to bring a tear to someone's eye, man, especially in 1997.
It couldn't be said better.

Wuggly Blight
05-16-2005, 04:00 PM
I find rather she had great development and motives and unusally was still deveopled AFTER her death. I find her in battle very useful, people who say shes weak and bad just ain't any good at Final Fantasy and can't see anything past brute pysical strength, sod stong healing powers, ability to make everyone invisible and raise everyones limits to full and being the strongest magic user in the whole game, she can't take off damage like cloud, so she must suck! Geez...
Nobody cries for leo because he wasn't developed as a person, with Aerith you talked with her, helped her, saved her, had a bit of fun travelled the world and was murdered after a whole disk of being your teamate, so it was emtional to see her go, Leo came on twice did his "war is awful" Boo hoo, big loss.
I find most people who do say "I laughed!" are just trying to be diffrent and cool.

Sasquatch
05-16-2005, 05:18 PM
It was a shock that she died as she was the first FF main party character to die.

If you're trying to exclude Leo, you're still forgetting Tellah. And, kind of, some of the other characters in FFIV--Yang, Palom and Porom, and Cid.

General Leo was a very well-developed non-party member, you got to know quite a bit about his personality.

It doesn't matter how good her final limit break is, because the only reaonable way you get to it is if you already know she's gonna be killed off and work at it early in the game. And let's face it, if she didn't die, everybody would realize that she is simply mediocre--just like, say, JFK was made out to be a "great" president because he was assassinated.

I never laughed when Aeris died. I just sure as hell didn't cry. Just like I don't cry when somebody dies in a movie, especially when I expect it.

A.) It's a game.
B.) You had to see it coming.
C.) She was a sub-character, and not a very good one.
D.) It happens somewhat early in the game, not like you fight the whole thing with her and she's gone for the final battle.

Seal Evil
05-16-2005, 06:35 PM
Well, some people are more in touch with their emotional side than others.

Wuggly Blight
05-16-2005, 06:39 PM
I really find it hard that people burst out laughing, I think there trying to seem "cool"

Kawaii Ryűkishi
05-16-2005, 08:52 PM
she was the first FF main party character to die.She was the seventh.

Vyk
05-16-2005, 09:06 PM
If she didn't die she would most likely have been in my final party. Much like she was throughout the whole first disk. It was always Cloud, Tifa, Aeris. If she didn't have any personality then I don't know what it was I liked so much about her. I liked that she was care free and open about her opinions but not blunt. She always had an edge of kindness. Reminds me of a lot of people I've met online that tear themselves up when their friends are hurting because they'd rather be the ones in pain. I've had a lot of friends like that. And I get the impression Aeris was like that. It seemed to be just in her nature. Perhaps I just read a lot between the lines. Or I enfused her with feelings and quirks that weren't actually intended. But given her depictions in other areas (cameos in other games, fanfictions and what not) obviously I wasn't the only one to get those impressions so I don't feel that I wrong in those assumptions. But in a lot of ways I felt Tifa would have been the same way. She was kindhearted too. More independant, for sure. But I didn't see Aeris's attachments as a weakness. She just wasn't afraid to latch onto someone she felt a bond with. A lot of people are afraid. So really I kinda see it as a strength with her. I dunno. I don't know why people hate her. And I don't know why there's a rivalry between her fans and Tifa's. I love Aeris, and I think both FF7 girls kick a lot of ass in their own way. Personally (geek ensues) I'd be happy with either of them ^_^ And it would have hit me just as hard had Aeris died. Leo wasn't so much because I couldn't be a Leo fanboy like that ;P He was cool though.

Squall of SeeD
05-16-2005, 09:21 PM

If you're trying to exclude Leo, you're still forgetting Tellah. And, kind of, some of the other characters in FFIV--Yang, Palom and Porom, and Cid.

Aside from Tellah, none of those characters died.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
05-16-2005, 09:38 PM
I guess that's why he said "kind of." But yeah, they don't count.

Dante WolfWood
05-16-2005, 09:58 PM
umm, didnt palon and porom die if I remember correctly?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
05-16-2005, 10:17 PM
They turned themselves into stone and then the elder from Mysidia reverted them a while later.

Chibi Angel
05-16-2005, 11:01 PM
I really find it hard that people burst out laughing, I think there trying to seem "cool"

you really shouldn't judge people you don't know. If you asked any person who knew me if they thought I would laugh at that they would nod there heads sadly and say yes she's a little odd.
It wasn't quite so much I was laughing at Aeris, me and one of my sisters had a bet going on whether Cloud would hook up with Tifa or Aeris, so I was more laughing at my sister cuz she lost big time so yeah. I actually did laugh and am not trying to make myself sound 'cool' what's so cool about that anyway? It makes me sound more like a freak than cool if you ask me but that's just me.

Mercen-X
05-17-2005, 01:53 AM
I was just a little perplexed at Cloud almost cleaving her in half.

. . . and the term isn't plain out "freak." It's more to "psychotic bitch." I'm one every now and then so I know.

Vyk
05-17-2005, 03:14 AM

you really shouldn't judge people you don't know. If you asked any person who knew me if they thought I would laugh at that they would nod there heads sadly and say yes she's a little odd.
It wasn't quite so much I was laughing at Aeris, me and one of my sisters had a bet going on whether Cloud would hook up with Tifa or Aeris, so I was more laughing at my sister cuz she lost big time so yeah. I actually did laugh and am not trying to make myself sound 'cool' what's so cool about that anyway? It makes me sound more like a freak than cool if you ask me but that's just me.
Why would you rather be called a freak than cool? O.o;; I think "cool" in this manner can also equate to "different". In which case so can your supposed freakishness. So really its the same thing. You just happen to have an excuse for it. But considering what you said about your friends' opinions of you, it doesn't sound like you'd really need a reason to laugh at it if it's just in your nature.

ShunNakamura
05-17-2005, 03:19 AM
I was a little sad when she died, but not overly so.. I much prefered my party with cloud, yuffie, and vincent/cid.. I think yuffie and vincent/cid are cooler then the others(cid is more effective so i used him more often the first time round) :P. just personal taste.

Anyways Aeris is quite the power house if you give her some nice magic, unfortunately most "good" magic doesn't come till later in the game. And since in the end of the game limits play a big role, it doesn't really matter since Aeris holds up there as well. Overall I wish she hadn't died, I would have loved to use her up to her full potential, but you know.. no big deal.. a bit said, nice plot boaster and well intigrated. Good job on that scene.(though why you kill off the magic user before you get good(perhaps better is the word I am looking for.. or perhaps cooler) magic is odd to me.. almost saying "DON'T USE THIS PERSON"). Yuffie made a good enough auxilliry caster for me htough.

Oh yes I was just as sad when Leo died as I was one Aeris died... more great potential vanishing.