PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a good console RPG, whats good?

Japairish
05-15-2005, 06:29 AM
Now that summer has kicked in I have a little more time to play games. I need a good "break" game after long sessions of MMO's and I think a console/single player RPG would be the right choice. I currently own a PC and a PS2 but I am not sure what the current good rpgs are. I know its mainly about taste but I still would valuee your opinion.

My favorite RPGs are:
Final Fantasy Tactics (one of my most favorite stories)
Final Fantasy VII (one of the few times ive ever cried)
Chrono Trigger
Shenmue (if this is an RPG)

I am all about the storyline, graphics and gameplay still need to be there but not as important as the story. I really get sick of childish stories that prance around the same old storylines (eg. Best friend (female) is kidnapped, you need to save her etc. etc) I want a more mature storyline with twists and turns that isnt afraid of offending anyone.

I value everyones opinions, lets just keep it constructive and on point
Thanks!

Dreddz
05-15-2005, 08:21 AM
I recommend Dark Chronicle and SOTTEOT

KuRt
05-15-2005, 11:52 AM
If you like storyline, try Kingdom hearts. Yeah, itīs a kiddy.type game, but the storyline is just awesome. Itīs kinda "sad" too, for some reason :confused:

Destai
05-15-2005, 12:12 PM
The best storyline you'll find will be Xenogears and possibly Xenosaga episode I&II (I cant promise much gameplay though) but theyre storylines are incredible.

Japairish
05-15-2005, 07:51 PM
Thanks for the replys, Ive been looking at Kingdom Hearts for a while. I downloaded the theme song and it was awesome, but somehow I just cant bring myself to buy a game with mickey mouse and goofy in it.

Xenogears is a game my brother suggested we get since it's release but we just never came around to buying it. Ive heard different stories of how good Xenosaga is but I may just give it a try.

Shoeberto
05-15-2005, 07:56 PM
If you go the Xeno path, get Xenogears first. Xenosaga will more than likely turn you away from the series. Xenogears is a lot more likely to draw you in and make you want to play through Xenosaga's story.

Destai
05-15-2005, 08:00 PM
If you go the Xeno path, get Xenogears first. Xenosaga will more than likely turn you away from the series. Xenogears is a lot more likely to draw you in and make you want to play through Xenosaga's story.Im pretty sure Xenosaga I was a huge sucess. Personally I think it wpuld be cool to play Xenosaga first and then play Xenogears towards the end before Xenosaga wraps up.

darkchrono
05-15-2005, 08:31 PM
The problem with playing xenosaga first is that it is just not a very complete story all on its own. On the other hand xenogears is probably the deepest and most complete game in video game history.

If you play xenosaga first you might at the end kind of wonder what the purpose of that whole thing was for and that you kind of wasted your time playing it. And not really want to continue on with any of the other xenosaga games.

It is only after playing xenogears that you realize that all xenosaga is doing is putting one larger storyline together piece by piece.

Shoeberto
05-15-2005, 08:56 PM
I said what I said more because I didn't like a lot of things about Xenosaga, but I played it through because I really wanted to know the story leading up through Xenogears. If the initial interest hadn't been sparked by XG, I most likely would've dropped Xenosaga.

Luc
05-15-2005, 09:26 PM
Shadow Hearts and Shadow Hearts: Covenant.

Azure Chrysanthemum
05-15-2005, 09:27 PM
Xenogears. Then Xenosaga. Maybe some Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne or Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga.

Craig
05-15-2005, 10:08 PM
Oh, and don't let yourself be discouraged by KH having Disney characters in it. It really is a excellent, well put together game, and I love the storyline.

Skystone
05-16-2005, 06:07 AM
I am all about the storyline, graphics and gameplay still need to be there but not as important as the story.
Xenogears.

I really get sick of childish stories that prance around the same old storylines (eg. Best friend (female) is kidnapped, you need to save her etc. etc) I want a more mature storyline with twists and turns that isnt afraid of offending anyone.
Xenogears. Definitely not afraid of offending, definitely unlike anything else you've ever seen.

Afterwards, Xenosaga's story is pretty good as well.

Dragoon Kain
05-16-2005, 11:14 PM

YES! PLAY SHADOW HEARTS!!!!!!!

amratis
05-16-2005, 11:25 PM

I was just scrolling through this page to see if anyone had suggested these two. Yes yes YES! I am currently playing Shadow Hearts 2 and have almost finished it (I hear there are two different endings) and I HIGHLY recommend at least the Second one (havn't played the orginal)
This game is amazing, fantastic story, great characters and I love the gameplay. Buy it and you will NOT be dissapointed.

I really get sick of childish stories that prance around the same old storylines (eg. Best friend (female) is kidnapped, you need to save her etc. etc) I want a more mature storyline with twists and turns that isnt afraid of offending anyone.

Shadow Hearts 2's story-line satisfy's those criteria's easily. There are no rubbish cliche story-twists in it and the twists the storyline takes are jaw-droppingly shocking at times (I found them to be at points anyway, though said points are later on in the game, well in to the first disc)

Erdrick Holmes
05-16-2005, 11:52 PM
Xenogears
Phantasy Star IV
Skies of Arcadia

Chris
05-16-2005, 11:54 PM
Koudelka 'nuff said.

Cloud No.9
05-17-2005, 12:14 AM
dark chronicle and dark cloud. golden sun. but yeah you can't bet a good old bit of kingdom hearts. another two people have overlooked is the suikedon series and star ocean.

Lich3636
05-23-2005, 12:12 AM
I say get morrowind the elder scrolls 3 for the PC and the expansion packs that can easily occupy your entire summer it has a nice story line and the game is one of the most open games you can play i was lv 50 before I started the main story line :D you can even be a a vampire or werwolf if you do play it remeber ring of phymaster ( or mentors ring i forget which) + boots of blinding speed = fun time

Azure Chrysanthemum
05-23-2005, 07:42 AM
Skies of Arcadia

It's not a bad game by any stretch of the imagination, but when I played it I got the "Hey! Let's find as many RPGs as we can and rip off all of them simultaneously!" feel from it. Some of the concepts were fairly unique (like the world of Arcadia itself), but the way it played out felt very "I've seen this before".

Camanche
05-23-2005, 08:03 PM
I've heard that the Shadow Hearts games are very good. Right now you can also pick up the .hack// games for a good price.

I'd also recommend Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga. You can buy the first one now, and it should keep you busy until the sequel comes out later this summer. It has an awesome story.

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne is also another recommendation, but it seems to be one of those games that is a acquired taste. Its story is slow, but excellent as well.

Destai
05-23-2005, 08:12 PM
The .hack// games are only good if theyre all bought cheap. Otherwise you've been ripped off. The storyline for them is definitely good but torwards the end I felt the makers could have done a much better job. Then again thats the feeling I got throughout the whole game. I thought Skies of Arcadia was a very bland RPG and as far as storyline goes I dont personally think Kingdom Hearts or Dark Chronicle is what you're looking for. I could be wrong though. Kingdom Hearts is definitely one of the mst enjoyable games Ive ever played and the Gameboy follow up (kingdom hearts , chain of memories) and KH2 will make the plot much more detailed.

Lindy
05-23-2005, 09:01 PM
Hey geniuses, Skies of Arcadia is on the DREAMCAST, and Legends is on the GAMECUBE, now what did our little fellow say he had?

Anyway, get Chrono Cross.

Seraf
05-23-2005, 10:03 PM
Playstation 2 RPG's
------------------
1. Final Fantasy X
2. Final Fantasy XI
3. Grandia II
4. Grandia Xtreme
5. Monster Hunter
6. Xenosaga / Xenogears

------------------
X-Box RPG's (Non traditional RPG's)
------------------
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
Fable
Jade Empire
KOTOR(Knights of the old Replublic)
KOTOR II

Gnostic Yevon
05-23-2005, 10:45 PM
I liked Suikoden III. VI is kinda meh, but III has a good story line (actually you play as 3 separate parties each having their own story around the central events (very similar to when your party gets split up in FFVI)) You can fight strategic battles with all the people you recuited around the world. And there are duels, which are kinda fun. It's actually enjoyable to watch your castle get built up, and to be able to run about playing games around the castle. I'm not gonna say it's the best, but one of the good ones.

-N-
05-23-2005, 11:32 PM
If you've played Chrono Trigger, I would recommend playing Chrono Cross. In addition to having some of the most exquisite visual and aural elements I have ever experienced in a video game, it's also got an intriguing storyling and some food for thought.

Several people have mentioned Xenogears, and for good reason. It has a creative battle system, and a very thorough and comprehensive plot you will need to play through more than once in order to appreciate the sheer brilliance of it. Watch out for Disc II, though...

Be careful though - the list of RPGs you've experienced are all among the top of their genre. Most of the recommendations I've seen in this thread have been excellent RPGs, but be careful not to get fooled into playing a mediocre one. It'll be difficult to live up to FFVII and FFT and CT, but Xenogears can easily do it.