PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite Metroid?

Apollo
05-15-2005, 09:39 AM
Since Metroid is my favorite video game series ever (besides Final Fantasy), I decided to make this thread. So, what is your favorite Metroid game?

Mine is Metroid Fusion. I liked how you got to learn a bit of Samus's personality and for other reasons. I also enjoyed Super Metroid alot too. I think it was the best Super Nintendo game ever made. :love:

Also, what direction do you think Metroid's future is headed? :greenie:

Kawaii Ryűkishi
05-15-2005, 01:22 PM
Super Metroid is the best Metroid game ever. Metroid Zero Mission comes close, but in the end it just doesn't have as much going on.

It's kind of depressing that the floaty, "stay in the air for a good three seconds before landing again" jumping style from Metroid II and Super Metroid is long gone, replaced with Metroid Fusion and Metroid Zero Mission's "stay in the air about a second" jumping. Some people like it better since it's more precise or something, but I can't stand the way it limits my freedom of movement. I do like Fusion and Zero Mission's jumping to the extent that it lets you curl into a spin jump at any time and the Space Jump no longer requires specific timing. But it's not really worth it with the loss of the floaty jumping.

As for the overall future of the series, I'm concerned. The side-scrolling Metroid games had a secure place on handheld systems for a while there, but now that the present generation of handhelds is capable of 3D games, and they're putting out a Metroid Prime game on the DS and all, there may be no place left for the real meat of the series. Castlevania DS is a good sign of a company not making a game 3D just because the technology allows them to and instead using that technology to make a really high-quality 2D game. I don't know if Nintendo will show that kind of intelligence when it comes to the future of Metroid, though. Hopefully E3 will tell us something.

Captain Maxx Power
05-15-2005, 02:11 PM
The not-so-well-known prequel Metroid : The Early Years. I never could get the final nappy power up and have a "full tank".

Lindy
05-15-2005, 02:13 PM
Super Metroid.

Though the nods back to early Metroid games in MP2 were nice, like the side-scrolling Spider Guardian, that make me giggle.

omnitarian
05-15-2005, 03:53 PM
My favorite is Metroid Prime.

The future of Metroid? Between MP2 and the First Hunt demo, I honestly hope Nintendo gets their act together and returns Metroid to its roots.

KuRt
05-15-2005, 04:09 PM
Original.

Xalioniaf
05-15-2005, 05:30 PM
Super Metroid. This is the longest, bestest, harderest, and explodiestness!

Del Murder
05-15-2005, 05:43 PM
Super Metroid. Come on now.

Necronopticous
05-15-2005, 06:25 PM
I agree with basically everything Kishi said, I actually noticed the shorter air-time when jumping as well when playing Metriod Fusion. I haven't gotten around to playing Zero Mission yet but I've just recently psyched myself out enough to try and handle the FPS style GC games and play Metriod Prime. Everyone says "Once you play it, you'll realize it is still the same metroid feel." and so far I have to disagree. Sure it feels like I'm playing a Metroid games just because of the nostalgic enemies, abilities and such, but I feel that the Metroid feeling I remember from my SNES days is pretty much long gone. I, for one, would be a happy person to see them put out a high quality 2d sidescrolling Metroid game with 3d environments. When game developers do this nowadays it makes me gain faith in the video game scene because it's a hard option to make when the technology is available to make a 3d game. All I know is, I was incredibly happy when they put out Contra Shattered Soldier and I care about Metroid far more than Contra. I guess we can just keep dreaming.

Sunny Rabbiera
05-18-2005, 05:26 AM
Super Metroid by far, its sound track was something to behold and its graphics were very state of the art even in 2 bit sense...
the other games vary
I do like the classic and Zero mission
I also like Metroid II though its not as good as I or III
Metroid fusion is alright but it could have been a bit better
and I did enjoy Metroid Prime...

but Nintendo seems lost with the series and it is in danger of getting "kiddied out" like Mega Man, Mario, Zelda and Sonic

Kawaii Ryűkishi
05-18-2005, 05:41 AM
Mega Man, Mario, Zelda, and Sonic have always been "kiddy." Meanwhile, Metroid is just as grim as it ever was.

DMKA
05-18-2005, 07:40 AM
Super Metroid is the best Metroid game ever.
Truer words have never been spoken.

Lord Chainsaw
05-18-2005, 07:15 PM
Super. Gotta be Super. That game was incredible. Many people consider it the greatest game on the Super Nintendo. While I don't believe that's the case, I still think it's an exceptional game. It's unique style of adventure has only been emulated by Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, and both games are considered the best in their respected series.

The original Metroid is pretty good too, of course.

Dreddz
05-18-2005, 07:34 PM
Super Metroid. Come on now.

Classic Axe
05-18-2005, 08:24 PM
Hopefully, Metroid will continue to be 2d on the portable systems. Think of all the potential. 2d really is better. When Samus says 'see you next mission,' I would prefer that I actually see Samus and not just her visor.

My favorite is definitely Super Metroid. It is a classic, and my first SNES game. That summer I had so much fun with that game.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
05-18-2005, 08:42 PM
It's unique style of adventure has only been emulated by Castlevania: Symphony of the NightAnd Castlevania: Circle of the Moon, Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance, Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow, and Castlevania DS.

Lord Chainsaw
05-19-2005, 01:10 AM
Circle of the Moon, Harmony of Dissonance, and Aria of Sorrow have tried to emulate, but they haven't quite achieved that same level as Symphony and Super Metroid. The level designs were no where near as slick which means the areas were not memorable, the bosses were nothing in the league of Kraid, Phantoon, or Granfaloon (although some Dissonance bosses were cheaply ripped right from Symphony) and each game relied on an innovative gimmick to sell it rather than good ol' fashioned exploration. While a GBA game of Super Metroid caliber quality may work with the Metroid engine, I'd have a hard time believing they'd be able to squeeze in all of that goodness using the CastleVania style of play. But I guess I can't fault the gameboy CastleVanias for that. After all, there's no way they would be able to create a game with as much exploration potential on the GBA as they could on the PSX. That doesn't make the gameboy CastleVanias bad games. Circle of the Moon is my favorite of the three, and I consider it a damn good game. Aria is also wonderful. I will admit though that Harmony of Dissonance is not that special.

Castlevania DS I presume we'll hold our opinion off on until it is actually released. But going on these presumptions: if what's been speculated so far is going to hold true, I think we're going to have to add Curse of Darkness to that list of Super Metroid/Symphony of the Night quality games.

Not that I'm getting my hopes up. I already did that for Lament of Innocence, and we all know how that turned out.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
05-19-2005, 01:12 AM
You said style, not quality.

edczxcvbnm
05-19-2005, 03:07 PM
Everyone would expect me to say Super Metroid but I go with Metroid Prime one by a hair. The atmosphere and pace of the game was great as well as the story which was optional. Super Metroid is by far the best 2D and I know the game inside and out but Prime was more fun to me.

They need to make a new Super Metroid on Gamecube with high res 2D graphics and new everything. Same floaty jump thing also. That would kick so much ass.

Lord Chainsaw
05-19-2005, 04:23 PM
You said style, not quality.

Is there really any point to pursuing this?

Main Entry: characteristic
Part of Speech: noun
Definition: feature
Synonyms: affection, aspect, attribute, badge, bag, bearing, bent, caliber, cast, character, complexion, component, differentia, disposition, distinction, earmark, endowment, essence, essential, faculty, flavor, frame, idiosyncrasy, inclination, individuality, mannerism, mark, mood, nature, originality, particularity, peculiarity, personality, point, property, quality, singularity, specialty, streak, stripe, style, symptom, temperament, tendency, thing, thumbprint, tinge, tone, trademark, trait
Source: Roget's New Millennium™ Thesaurus, First Edition (v 1.1.1)
Copyright © 2005 by Lexico Publishing Group, LLC. All rights reserved.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
05-19-2005, 04:42 PM
You said style, not level of quality.

Chzn8r
05-21-2005, 06:39 PM
Super Metroid = best game ever.

Metroid Prime = tied for best *Metroid* game with SM.

Metroid Fusion = best hidden secrets in a Metroid.

Metroid Prime 2 = best looking Metroid

Metroid 2 = Most underrated Metroid

Metroid = The classic that spawned it all. Still a wonderful platformer to go back to.

Metroid Zero Mission = Easiest and least desireable Metroid, yet still mildly fun.

Yamaneko
05-21-2005, 07:30 PM
Super Metroid.

SotN is better, though. :)