PDA

View Full Version : England! Great Britain!! United Kingdom!!!

theundeadhero
05-15-2005, 01:49 PM
Why does your country need three names! :mad2:

Croyles
05-15-2005, 01:51 PM
we only have 2 names, England and Great Britain. United Kingdom refers to England, Scottland, Wales and Irland.
But why we have 2 is still a mystery to me. "great britain" is probably a self-defence against anyone who complains about the food and weather here, oh and public transport.

Chris
05-15-2005, 01:55 PM
America, U.S, United States :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: There you are. :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2:

Croyles
05-15-2005, 01:56 PM
yes but U.S already means United States :D

Psychotic
05-15-2005, 01:57 PM
Because we're awesome.

England, Scotland, Wales etc aren't really countries per se, they're more like US states but with a stronger sense of identity really.
Britain = England, Wales, Scotland.
Great Britain = England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland.
UK/United Kingdom = England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland...and maybe all the other territories we own too, like Gibraltar and Falkland Islands.

It may be wrong, but that's how I like to think of it :D

Chris
05-15-2005, 01:57 PM
yes but U.S already means United States
No it doesn't :mad2:

Croyles
05-15-2005, 01:59 PM

lol, give up already :D

Chris
05-15-2005, 01:59 PM

lol, give up already :D
That's right, don't mess with The Jones. :D

Captain Maxx Power
05-15-2005, 02:07 PM
Because we're the best country in the world, baring none, hence we need more than one name. Remember America - we made you.

Psychotic
05-15-2005, 02:15 PM
I love how we're the most arrogant nation on earth. :love:

...excluding the French. Oh and the Germans. Americans too, really. And how can I forget Lithuania?

Croyles
05-15-2005, 02:18 PM
im half english and half german, and i all i can say is this. STOP WITH THE GOD DAMN TRIANGLE OF HATE! Its between the French, Germans and the English, and they all complain how arrogant the other country is, which only makes them more arrogant. :rolleyes2

Nod
05-15-2005, 02:21 PM
we have 3 names because we are better than you.

Psychotic
05-15-2005, 02:24 PM
im half english and half german, and i all i can say is this. STOP WITH THE GOD DAMN TRIANGLE OF HATE! Its between the French, Germans and the English, and they all complain how arrogant the other country is, which only makes them more arrogant. :rolleyes2It's just harmless fun, no-one is being upset by it, and diplomatically and economically, France, the UK and Germany are all on good terms which each other.

Croyles
05-15-2005, 02:50 PM
i know i was just kidding mate

Jojee
05-15-2005, 03:10 PM
Stupid arrogant Europeans ;)

omnitarian
05-15-2005, 03:19 PM
We're the worst of all, really. U.S., United States... The United States of America? Let's just rename ourselves to Candyland and get it over with. Think about it. Who would want to launch missiles at Candyland?

Meat Puppet
05-15-2005, 03:32 PM
My country has more than one name and cool people like me come from there. :cool:

Cuchulainn
05-15-2005, 03:37 PM
Actually the title is, The United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland. Great Britain is England, Scotland & Wales, Britain is the island. Scotland & Wales are principalities with their own devoved governments & laws. Northern Ireland is that troublesome outcast cousin.

Jess
05-15-2005, 04:30 PM
Its because we are cool :cool:

theundeadhero
05-15-2005, 04:51 PM
US
United States
America

They're all shortened versions of the same one name of our country.

The United States of America

US : United States of America
United States: United States of America
America: United States of America

NM
05-15-2005, 05:15 PM
England - Just England on it's own
Great Britain - England, Scotland, Wales & Northern Ireland.
United Kingdom - Cos we used to own half the goddamn planet. :D

But because were so nice we gave most of it back. :p

Cuchulainn
05-15-2005, 05:29 PM
Northern Ireland ISN'T part of Great Britain.

eestlinc
05-15-2005, 05:30 PM
Yea, but the Federated States of Micronesia wins the longest primary name.

gokufusionss1
05-15-2005, 06:17 PM
they are three different things.
England is a country
Great Britain is a political and economic union set up in the 18th century between scotalnd and england (wales wasn't considered a seperate country)
United kingdom includes the whole of ireland but had been cut back to just northern island recently.

Old Manus
05-15-2005, 06:21 PM
I hate foriegners who think that Great Britain and United Kingdom mean England.

T-MaN
05-15-2005, 06:24 PM
I think that when countries have different names, it is a good thing. What I mean by this is that instead of saying England, or Great Britain, all I gotta say is UK, and people will understand what the heck I am talking about. It just makes the job so much easier, but it is annoying sometimes to have more than one name.

Jojee
05-15-2005, 06:25 PM
The People's Republic of China :p China. Zhong Guo. Why can't we just call countries but their real names, that the people in those countries call it?

gokufusionss1
05-15-2005, 06:29 PM
because i love calling them germany and spain rather then deutchland and whatever the spanish call it.

Old Manus
05-15-2005, 06:31 PM
Because you would have to say Wales as Cymru. And I dare you to pronounce it.

Croyles
05-15-2005, 06:35 PM
because i love calling them germany and spain rather then deutchland and whatever the spanish call it.

Espania...I think
But i agree that we should call countries by they're real names, its not exactly hard. Nippon instead of Japan for example.

http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/customs/questions/britain.html

Shauna
05-15-2005, 11:11 PM
I hate foriegners who think that Great Britain and United Kingdom mean England.

Yea, I hate that. England isn't the only country in the UK! :mad2:

Vyk
05-15-2005, 11:37 PM
Nippon? What happened to Nihon? I agree though. Most foreing languages... when they say America in their tongue, it at least sounds like America. Amerikana and such. Germany sounds nothing like Deuchtland or whatever. Who the heck decided to name them differently anyway?

Croyles
05-15-2005, 11:44 PM
Its Nippon its just that the p is very soft.

crono_logical
05-15-2005, 11:48 PM
Actually, it's both, with Nihon being the more common of the two :p

Apollo
05-15-2005, 11:50 PM
This thread makes me cry. ;_______________________;

EDIT: Not really. ;)

Croyles
05-15-2005, 11:59 PM
Actually, it's both, with Nihon being the more common of the two :p

oh ok, my bad.

Shlup
05-16-2005, 12:17 AM
Damn arrogant white people.

*wins*

Apollo
05-16-2005, 01:24 AM
*applause*

Jack
05-16-2005, 08:53 AM
Because we feared stupid Americans would forget the one name, like what you do with the rest of the planet. So for ease of use, we made up three. We're clever like that, we actually have the brains to use other letters except "U" & "S" :)
Unless you need their help or bombing all hell out of it.

"Georgia? That aint a country!"

*laughs*

Shlup
05-16-2005, 09:00 AM
Wow. At least I was joking.

Jebus
05-16-2005, 09:03 AM
Nippon? What happened to Nihon? I agree though. Most foreing languages... when they say America in their tongue, it at least sounds like America. Amerikana and such. Germany sounds nothing like Deuchtland or whatever. Who the heck decided to name them differently anyway?

The original Roman name for the area was Germania, of which German was basically another word for barbarian. Although I'm not sure if the barbarians called it Deutchland back then or not.

Jack
05-16-2005, 09:16 AM
Wow. At least I was joking.

I think so was I. *checks*

Oh yeah, I was.

List Of Countries I Love (http://www.infoplease.com/countries.html)

Shlup
05-16-2005, 09:17 AM
Good. I hate it when people discriminate against people based on their home country, or beliefs. Lets stick to more concrete things, like the color of people's skin and fatties.

Jack
05-16-2005, 09:26 AM
Lets stick to more concrete things, like the color of people's skin and fatties.
Good One :)

I think most of us in the UK bash the rest of the world just cause we're like that, we seperate ourselves from the rest of the world because we can. We've come up with stereotypes for everyone, and most of the countriesn we've either
a) Shot all the native countrymen when we had all the guns
b) Shot all the native countrymen when we had the big guns
Sadly, I think all countries (except Canada and New Zealand- those people are just lovely) have this attitide now.

Resha
05-16-2005, 10:13 AM
History, meh. ^_^ That's why. Oh, my country has a heck lot of names in heck lot of languages. o_O And I only know two of 'em. But there has to be more.

xD

Loony BoB
05-16-2005, 10:13 AM
Actually the title is, The United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland. Great Britain is England, Scotland & Wales, Britain is the island. Scotland & Wales are principalities with their own devoved governments & laws. Northern Ireland is that troublesome outcast cousin.
Cuchulainn wins an invisible hat because he is the only person to have got it right. I'm not even British and I still know this.

withered
05-16-2005, 01:38 PM
UK/United Kingdom = England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland...and maybe all the other territories we own too, like Gibraltar and Falkland Islands.Yeah, that is about right aside from the UK just means the island as well; including the Isle of Wight, Anglesey, and the Scilly, Orkney, Shetland, and Hebridean archipelagosand the Channel Islands: also know as the British Isles
Gibraltar and the Falklands are British dependencies.
United Kingdom - Cos we used to own half the goddamn planet.That would have been the British Empire which has turned into the Commonwealth. Most countries still associted with the Empire (and people join up; Mozambique has no ex-colonial links with the Empire) are part of the Commonwealth of Nations

At present, the head of state of 16 member countries is the British sovereign, 5 members have their own monarchs, and 33 are republics. All members recognize Elizabeth II as head of the association, although such recognition does not automatically extend to her successor. The full list of members as of 2003 was: the United Kingdom, Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, the Bahamas, Bangladesh, Barbados, Belize, Botswana, Brunei, Cameroon, Canada, Cyprus, Dominica, Fiji, The Gambia, Ghana, Grenada, Guyana, India, Jamaica, Kenya, Kiribati, Lesotho, Malawi, Malaysia, Maldives, Malta, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Nauru, New Zealand, Nigeria, Pakistan (currently suspended), Papua New Guinea, St Kitts and Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, the Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Singapore, the Solomon Islands, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Swaziland, Tanzania, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tuvalu, Uganda, Vanuatu, Zambia, and Zimbabwe (currently suspended).
© 1993-2003 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

tomamar04
05-16-2005, 03:52 PM
So in effect that means the UK has some control over countries such as Canada, Australia, India and New Zeland.

That's something the Americans can't do!

DMKA
05-16-2005, 03:54 PM
I remember my friend thought "Ukrainean" was reffering to someone from the U.K. xD

Croyles
05-16-2005, 04:10 PM
I remember my friend thought "Ukrainean" was reffering to someone from the U.K. xD

:screwy: :rolleyes:
Viva Le Resistance! :fencing: :chop:

Cuchulainn
05-16-2005, 06:22 PM
So in effect that means the UK has some control over countries such as Canada, Australia, India and New Zeland.

That's something the Americans can't do!

The UK has little to zero control over those countries. They still have the English Monarchy as 'Head of State' but that is a title & nothing more. They remain in the Commonwealth for economic alliances only. It's kinda like NATO, except with tea & cricket instead of guns & commie hating.

boris no no
05-16-2005, 06:33 PM
we do because we kick ass! :D
*laughs at everyone else*
we would rule the world if it wasn't for those pesky kids

tomamar04
05-16-2005, 07:05 PM
I guess that's why the Brits are portrayed as the bad guys in films...

amratis
05-16-2005, 07:08 PM
Why does your country need three names! :mad2:

Because we're just that great. :cool: :D

Pure Strife
05-16-2005, 07:20 PM
I guess that's why the Brits are portrayed as the bad guys in films...

You've got to admit we do it well. Nothing like an inherantly evil badass, except an inherantly evil badass with a suave English accent.

Sploddess
05-16-2005, 07:34 PM
They have the Englishmen as villians on all kinds of stuff because they are totally hott, and the accent makes them irresitable. And come on the Villians are supposed to be hott and sexxy so you actually focus on something. Otherwise movie companies would never make any money. Most people in the U.S. alone are Anglofiles. I should know I have a hott English guy he came fully equipped with a job, English accent, and totally hot sexy body. What more can a girl ask for. Oh he's loyal too kinda like a dog lol. Englishmen are a girls best friend lol.

Old Manus
05-16-2005, 07:37 PM
The strereotype for British villains is usually the Evil Mastermind. Not very good at fighting, but always has an escape plan. Then you get the Russian general, the American badass soldier etc.

Odaisé Gaelach
05-16-2005, 07:48 PM
They have the Englishmen as villians on all kinds of stuff because they are totally hott, and the accent makes them irresitable.

Except the Geordie accent. :mad:

Sploddess
05-16-2005, 08:01 PM
I agree with you fully on that one Odaise. But like I said I have one at home so yea I don't have to worry about anything, and if he loses his accent I can send him home to visit for a few months or however long it takes. It's part of my warrenty lol.

Odaisé Gaelach
05-16-2005, 08:36 PM
lol :D A foolproof plan methinks!

theundeadhero
05-17-2005, 11:25 AM
Brittish accents make me want to do violent things. Nothing else in the world does :(

Devourment
05-17-2005, 11:32 AM
But American accents sound like they all have something stuck up their nose's.

tomamar04
05-17-2005, 08:14 PM
Yeah, thinking about it, it kinda does!

gokufusionss1
05-17-2005, 09:52 PM
I think the posher the american there closer their accent comes to sounding like they are from Dorset.

Everything brilliant comes from Dorset.

Shoden
05-17-2005, 09:56 PM
Britain Britain Britain! founded in 1704 by Henry Britain demolished in 1922 and rebuilt a year later

little britain quote lol it rocks

its all british accents the variety pwns american accents

Chaos
05-17-2005, 11:01 PM
I think it is because we are a rocking country and so much better than you.

If you are reading this, the chances are we used to OWN you.

Therefore, we are Great.

Chaos

tomamar04
05-18-2005, 06:25 AM
Is it me, or have all the American's left us because we were boring them about how great we are?

ShiggtyLuffLuff
05-18-2005, 06:46 AM
I've always wanted to go to England/Britain/Great Britian. ^_^

DMKA
05-18-2005, 07:19 AM
American accents? What accents? o________O

Devourment
05-18-2005, 08:52 AM
American accents? What accents? o________OThe accent of the Americans. o_0

gokufusionss1
05-18-2005, 09:25 AM
Is it me, or have all the American's left us because we were boring them about how great we are?

#it is impossible to be bored when we go on about how great we are, the whole world is enthralled.

theundeadhero
05-18-2005, 02:29 PM
All spelling mistakes AND grammatical errors by me are to be corrected via PM's rather then Posts. Thankyou

I think the posher the american there closer their accent comes to sounding like they are from Dorset.
Thats "the American the"

You used to control the people from countries reading the thread but you were so great that you lost control of them all :p

boris no no
05-18-2005, 02:33 PM
i think that american accents are weird...i always wondered where it came from.....they don't sound irish...or french...or anything!! you mutated all that is british
(and i shake your hand for it xD)

Sploddess
05-18-2005, 04:11 PM
Hmmmmm if you guys are sooooo Great why did America win the Revolution? Gee I wonder. Probably because we're better :D. You have hott guys and hott accents but we are still better. Britian is the lazy bum capital of the world, did you know that? You have the highest unemployment rating in the entire world. Although Russia and some of the smaller countries like Iran and that come in quite close but still, you all have more money than they do so what's you guys excusses? An I seem to be the only American disputing this one lol.

tomamar04
05-18-2005, 04:19 PM
Ummm... I hate to tell you this but Britian actually has pretty low unemployment now.

And for a few wars we've lost, there has been several we won.

Sploddess
05-18-2005, 04:26 PM
Yes but we have won many ourselves. Okay and on the unemployment I will have to reinform my finace of that considering I guess it changed in the past 2 months. He leaves the country and everyone gets jobs. Amazing. That sad part is though according to studies they have recently done Iran and Pursia still have higher employment rates I wonder how a country SO great can be beat out by smaller countries on that? Also to the person who asked why you guys have so many names England is the name of ONE of the countries in Great Britian, United Kingdom is because of the fact that Scottland, a small part of either Ireland or Iceland, England and Whales are all together as one country. And why its called Great Britian I have no idea because they got beat by a place that had 20,000 less men fighting than they did. All because we through their damn tea in the harbor.

Croyles
05-18-2005, 04:32 PM
I think this thread is getting out of control.
Calm the close-to-racist arguments. ;)

Sploddess
05-18-2005, 04:38 PM
How are they racist? One I'm making reference to true stuff everything is noted in history books all over the world. It's not like I'm making a judgement based on the fact that I don't like GB. I mean its a cute lil place to visit but I wouldn't want to spend my life there. Racisism is based mainly on opinion mine was on facts,

Croyles
05-18-2005, 04:49 PM
my point is, take it easy.

plus, i didnt directly mean you, but everyone in this thread, maybe i caused a bit of this to start too, cant remember though.

"Satyricon"
05-20-2005, 02:05 PM
american accent is cooler than british . but scotland's accent rocks:P lol

Cuchulainn
05-20-2005, 05:41 PM
Yes but we have won many ourselves. Okay and on the unemployment I will have to reinform my finace of that considering I guess it changed in the past 2 months. He leaves the country and everyone gets jobs. Amazing. That sad part is though according to studies they have recently done Iran and Pursia still have higher employment rates I wonder how a country SO great can be beat out by smaller countries on that? Also to the person who asked why you guys have so many names England is the name of ONE of the countries in Great Britian, United Kingdom is because of the fact that Scottland, a small part of either Ireland or Iceland, England and Whales are all together as one country. And why its called Great Britian I have no idea because they got beat by a place that had 20,000 less men fighting than they did. All because we through their damn tea in the harbor.

You should maybe consider not voicing you intensely inaccurate & uneducated opinions pretty soon. In fact if you wish to save any face at all, I'd probably stop now. This, ofcourse is just a suggestion, you are free to speak about the world outside your bubble anytime you want. I'm just trying to help save your integrity, and, you know, your soul. I suggest a little reading on the subject before you comment, if you are not blessed with the ability to read and/or opposable thumbs, ask a tourist. :P

Croyles
05-20-2005, 06:13 PM
ugh

theundeadhero
05-20-2005, 06:23 PM
*closes*

Yamaneko
05-20-2005, 06:29 PM
Way to divert the thread topic, guys. Good job.