PDA

View Full Version : Welcome Back?

Agent Proto
05-16-2005, 03:59 AM
Alright. I've noticed that the latest "newbie" thread started by a member who once registered as Blackrose, was closed because it was deemed a "welcome back" thread. However, I disagree with that. Even though the member is back with a new name, and hasn't posted since 2003. That's only two years ago, and the thread has been closed, because it's a welcome back thread.

Well, excuse me if I'm wrong, but I don't see it as one. First, she's been gone for two years, and haven't posted since then. Now, she "returns" with a new screen name, and starts a "newbie" thread, and she's been getting welcome backs from people, because she was a member... two years ago.

If I do recall, welcome back threads were banned, but there are certain cases which it should be allowed, like if a member have been gone for a long time, and sometimes, they make a "I'm back" thread. If I'm wrong, I do believe staff would allow those kind of threads, for those cases when the member was away for a couple years, and suddenly returns. Wouldn't it be appropriate to allow Shimka the oppurtunity to keep her "newbie" thread, because she's been gone for so long?

I'm not saying we should allow "I'm back" threads, but allow only a few for members who've been gone for about two years. I do find it ridiculous if a member was gone for a week and makes an "I'm back" thread, and it should stay the way it is for those silly reasons, but for long-bout aways that last "generations" in EoFF terms, they should be allowed, like in Shimka's case.

So, how about it?

Shlup
05-16-2005, 04:04 AM
That's what they get for becoming inactive for so long! Poooo on them! :p

Yamaneko
05-16-2005, 04:07 AM
I disagree with you because closing "I'm back" threads has been a policy for as long as I can remember, regardless of the fact whether the member was gone a week or two years.

Agent Proto
05-16-2005, 04:08 AM
Well, poo on you!

All I'm asking is for some exemptions for the "I'm back" threads for those who have been away for longer than two years, who suddenly returns and want to at least get caught up, if they were to make such a thread. It's rare for members to return after a two year absense, so at least make an exemption for them.

Yamaneko
05-16-2005, 04:11 AM
They can catch up by posting insightful comments and make themselves known that way.

Meat Puppet
05-16-2005, 04:14 AM
I wasn't here two years ago, so that member is a newbie in my eyes. :(

Agent Proto
05-16-2005, 04:23 AM
"I’m leaving" / "I’m back" threads. People sometimes have to leave the internet behind for a while. We understand, and I’m sure everyone will miss you dearly, but we don’t need a whole thread about it. So don’t make one. :)

Specifically...

People sometimes have to leave the internet behind for a while.

Definition of "awhile (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?r=2&q=awhile)": For a short time.

A short time is a few days to several months. Being away for longer than two years is not being away for "awhile." So, closing "I'm back" threads from members who've been gone longer than "awhile" is bending the "rule" here.

Yamaneko
05-16-2005, 04:26 AM
I think you're reading into the FAQ too much. :p

EDIT: Just so you know, I really don't care either way. I'm explaining the other side of the argument is all.

Agent Proto
05-16-2005, 04:28 AM
I am because I want to have exemptions for "I'm back" threads from member who've been absent for at least two years, like Shimka.

Also, am I not wrong that the staff will consider unbanning members after two years of being banned, if they sent in a request to be "forgiven"? If that's the case, then shouldn't members who return after a "two year" absent be allow an "I'm back" thread? Two years is a "long" time. They have missed four Ciddies, numerous "tournaments" and many other things that have happened, like staff changes.

eestlinc
05-16-2005, 05:13 AM
omg Shinka has missed four ciddies!!!! :D

Anyway, I figure if someone comes back after a long hiatus, if anyone remembers them they will probably be like "OMG IT RIRSE" or some crap so a thread announcing it is unnecesary.

Leeza
05-16-2005, 05:15 AM
You make one exception and you'll have a hard time drawing a line as to who should be allowed to have one and who shouldn't, so it's just best to leave it the way it is.

Some members come back, say "Hi guys! I'm back!", and make a decent thread topic while they're at it. Those are very acceptable.

eestlinc
05-16-2005, 05:19 AM
so what Leeza is saying is "Shimka made a crappy thread topic." That's not very nice, Leeza. Are you already campaigning for the evilest member ciddie? :)

Leeza
05-16-2005, 05:21 AM
It's already in the bag. :)

TheAbominatrix
05-16-2005, 05:23 AM
Proto, are you running out of issues to campaign for or what?

eestlinc
05-16-2005, 05:25 AM
What I want to know: is Blackrose related to PearlRose?

Abom: :<3:

Del Murder
05-16-2005, 05:46 AM
It's not that hard to turn an I'm back thread into something legit by giving it a real topic.

eestlinc
05-16-2005, 06:02 AM
Yea, I bet even Del Murder could do it!

nik0tine
05-16-2005, 06:09 AM
I somehow doubt it.

Yamaneko
05-16-2005, 06:31 AM
This topic is now about cowboys. Oh, wait... :shifty:

Loony BoB
05-16-2005, 10:09 AM
If Britt or Princess Usa or Scottie or Drex or anyone like that made an I'm Back thread, I'd close it or just give it a topic.

Or turn it into a fifty page spam thread.

DMKA
05-16-2005, 11:50 AM
I think they should be allowed for members from Bangladesh and New Zealand only.

Meat Puppet
05-16-2005, 12:53 PM
Sweet.

I was gone for a couple of hours and now I am back, cowboys.

Psychotic
05-16-2005, 05:34 PM
To hell with the 2 year thing, there's a much more important issue regarding this thread! I've decided that eest is a cowboy and he's going on a "Posting in threads that are closed" rampage. I bet in all his 5 years of membership he'd been itching to do just that, and now he can. Live the dream eest, live the dream.

The Captain
05-16-2005, 06:38 PM
Wasn't E. E. Cummings a cowboy?

Take care all.

eestlinc
05-16-2005, 08:16 PM
I was gone but now I'm back. Did I miss the Ciddies?

Psychotic
05-16-2005, 08:29 PM
Yes, I'm afraid so. On the plus side, you won Cutest Female again! :ciddie:

eestlinc
05-16-2005, 09:04 PM
EoFF: you miss a day, you miss a lot!

So to recap: leaving for two years does not give you the right to make an I'm back thread, nor does it give you the creativity to reveal yourself in a new topic.

-N-
05-21-2005, 01:13 AM
That's what they get for becoming inactive for so long! Poooo on them! :pSeriously.

Frickin' cowboys.

Raistlin
05-24-2005, 03:27 AM
If anyone actually cared, someone would do something. Such as my second-to-last coming back. *glare at BooB*
Welcome back threads are prohibited. Period.

However, I have to say, I like FFWA's "welcome back" thread-policy the most. "If nobody cares, you can't make one." I made one at FFWA about a year ago. It was great, but then, of course, I haven't been back since. xD

escobert
05-24-2005, 03:37 AM
To hell with the 2 year thing, there's a much more important issue regarding this thread! I've decided that eest is a cowboy and he's going on a "Posting in threads that are closed" rampage. I bet in all his 5 years of membership he'd been itching to do just that, and now he can. Live the dream eest, live the dream.
Dammit I've always wanted to post in a closed thread :(

eestlinc
05-24-2005, 03:54 AM
I could close this one for you :D

-N-
05-24-2005, 05:15 AM
I've always had to resort to slipping in after a mod posts but before s/he closes. :(

Jojee
05-24-2005, 06:49 AM
Welcome back/ I'm leaving threads are not hard to make... you just gotta stick in a random topic at the bottom :| Seriously people.

And I should go back to FFWA and see if anyone remembers me xD

Rainecloud
05-24-2005, 07:27 AM
Welcome back/ I'm leaving threads are not hard to make... you just gotta stick in a random topic at the bottom :| Seriously people.

It doesn't always work, but it's worth a try.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
05-24-2005, 12:33 PM
If Britt or Princess Usa or Scottie or Drex or anyone like that made an I'm Back thread, I'd close it or just give it a topic.

Or turn it into a fifty page spam thread.I like the bottom one.