PDA

View Full Version : "Backing up" PS2 games

dking
05-16-2005, 04:25 PM
does anybody know of a program that allows you to burn PS2 games. I would like to burn my games so I can put the originals in the cases and not use them. I don't like scratching cds.

DMKA
05-16-2005, 04:32 PM
You can't use the burned games unless you have a modded PS2. You can burn the games with any old DVD burning program though, like Nero.

dking
05-16-2005, 04:42 PM
there are programs floating around that are already modded to play the burned games on a PS2 I just don't know where to find them G4's attack of the show had one of them on the show but its not in there show notes anymore.

Dr.K
05-16-2005, 05:57 PM
So with the right software, you don't need a modded PS2 to play the copied games? (This sounds like too big a breakthrough to be true)

Shoeberto
05-16-2005, 08:57 PM
Maybe with the new slimlines, since they have a flip lid, but I really doubt it with the old ones. I don't keep up so much on the mod scene but I don't remember ever hearing about bootloaders for the PS2.

dking
05-18-2005, 03:28 AM
I FOUND IT!!!!! This is just a trial but the program I was looking for is called alcohol 120%. Just google it and you will find the website. Its a 30 day trial,give it a try. NO THERE IS NO MODDING INVOLVED, DON'T ASK ME HOW THEY DID IT.

dking
05-18-2005, 03:36 AM
I know, sorry for the double post...

heres all your information.

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_tools/alcohol120.cfm

Alcohol 120% v1.9.5.2802
Alcohol 120% is one of the hottest products in the CD-R scene! You could say i?s a combination of the famous CloneCD, Daemon Tools and BlindWrite.

Alcohol has 3 kinds of functionality:

-It duplicates your CD/DVDs: Alcohol handles copy protections and it has easy presets for each kind of task: Playstation (1&2), SecuROM, ProtectCD, SafeDisc, VideoCD..

-It burns your CD images: Supported image types are BIN/CUE, CloneCD, BlindWrite, ISO, DiscJuggler, Nero

-It mounts CD images as virtual drives: You can use CDs directly from image files on your HD and enjoy much faster speed. It emulates copy protections. You can use this also to use your downloaded images without burning!

All this is very neatly packaged to a compact and very easy to use user interface. I can honestly say that it is the easiest program of i?s kind and still possibly the most advanced.

Very much recommended!

Vyk
05-18-2005, 04:36 AM
Uh I have a feeling that was a misunderstanding. Isn't the copy protection like written in a DVD on the edge or whatever? Outside the data range? If it works, then congrats. But my guess is they mean PS1/2 games as in regular back-ups. But they did mention copy protection emulation so who am I to argue. But if this is only about scratches, they do make slip covers to put over CDs/DVDs to keep them protected and still be readable.

Mookies
05-18-2005, 07:14 AM
Mmm, i don't think it will work. I've tried copying games, the nearest i've come is a memory card exploit. It works, but you need to apply it using a friends moded ps2 or ar2/gs2.

DMKA
05-18-2005, 08:40 AM
I FOUND IT!!!!! This is just a trial but the program I was looking for is called alcohol 120%. Just google it and you will find the website. Its a 30 day trial,give it a try. NO THERE IS NO MODDING INVOLVED, DON'T ASK ME HOW THEY DID IT.
Have you actually copied a game and played the copy in your PS2?

dking
05-18-2005, 02:31 PM
I have played a copied game of this program...it works, I wouldn't have said anything if it didn't. Normally I wouldn't trust programs off the internet exept I saw it on attack of the show and everything they talk about on the show works, plus the program is for sale at the website.

DMKA
05-18-2005, 03:39 PM
I just tried it with FFX-2. It didn't work. I just wasted a DVD...meh.

dking
05-18-2005, 04:20 PM
Do u want me to post a complete walkthrough on how to use it?

Bulldog
05-18-2005, 05:40 PM
What you're talking about, is playing the games from a harddrive (DVD image). That is where Alcohol 120.343534% is used. The moment you decide to burn it onto a real DVD, you'll need to play it using a modded PS2.

Endless
05-18-2005, 06:36 PM
Let's note that:
- There is no decent PS2 emulator.
- No backup copy will play, unless you either use a modchip,

- recent ones allow you to boot the game directly
- old ones require to use a swap trick.
- and/or a GS2/AR2 plus swap trick (plus eventually patching the game).

Samuraid
05-18-2005, 06:47 PM
- There is no decent PS2 emulator.
http://pcsx2.net/
http://www.ngemu.com/images/ps2/0008.jpg

It's getting very close.

Endless
05-18-2005, 07:18 PM
2.6 fps ;)

I know that technically, pcsx2 is running more and more games, but speed is still the main issue, as it makes actual playing near impossible.

Samuraid
05-18-2005, 07:23 PM
Very true.

Yamaneko
05-18-2005, 07:33 PM
That's faster than what I get for looking at DX9 water in HL2. :D

Destai
05-18-2005, 07:50 PM
Is there a rom for Xenogears available anywhere? Until today I had no idea there were emulators for anything besides snes games.

Shoeberto
05-19-2005, 01:05 AM
You don't get ROMs, you get ISOs, which are generally 700mb a disk.

DMKA
05-19-2005, 03:37 AM
Is there a rom for Xenogears available anywhere? Until today I had no idea there were emulators for anything besides snes games.

edit by cl_out: Keep them links private please :p

Mookies
05-19-2005, 10:12 AM
dking give us a walkthro.

YunaFan
05-22-2005, 12:33 PM
There is a software for the PS2 that works with all PS2's that can play copied games. It is called Swap Magic. I Have it and it works like a charm.

Destai
05-22-2005, 12:48 PM
I forgot where this thread was :/ So would I be able to buy one of these ISO's or copied games that would work with PAL? Keeping in mind Xenogears was never released in PAL format.

dking
05-23-2005, 05:19 PM
ok, If you need me to go into more detail just let me know. First of all you must have a DVD burner that supports simulation mode. Then you put the game and the blank dvd, then you select copy cd. After you have done that you must select PS2 in the down arrow on the bottom of the screen. After that just hit the burn button. I tried the burn on my PS2 and my cousins and it worked. To test it further i'm going to try it on some friends PS2's. The only catch is having a simulation compatible DVD burner.

Endless
05-23-2005, 06:36 PM
ok, If you need me to go into more detail just let me know. First of all you must have a DVD burner that supports simulation mode. Then you put the game and the blank dvd, then you select copy cd. After you have done that you must select PS2 in the down arrow on the bottom of the screen. After that just hit the burn button. I tried the burn on my PS2 and my cousins and it worked. To test it further i'm going to try it on some friends PS2's. The only catch is having a simulation compatible DVD burner.

A "simulation compatible" burner you say? Yes, I'm interested in you going into more detail.

Squally Leonharty
05-23-2005, 06:45 PM
Pretty much any burner is capable of simulating burning sessions, so don't worry about that. I haven't heard of a single burner that isn't capable of simulating that. :p

As for the trick itself, I have serious doubts that it'll work. On a modded PS2, that method would almost 100% guarantee that the game will play (or even with SwapMagic), but on a standard, and especially the most recent PS2? Doubt it. =P

DMKA
05-23-2005, 07:29 PM
Yeah, I tried it according to everything you've said so far, and it didn't work, so I think you're mistaken somewhere down the line.

Plus if this were true everyone would of heard about it by now...I mean being able to play burned copies without a modded console? That would be an insane breakthrough.

dking
05-24-2005, 01:07 PM
Well now your getting me confused because mine played them just fine but I didn't put a mod chip in my PS2. SO NOW I WANT TO KNOW WHY MINE IS WORKING!!!!! I guess i'm gonna have to take my PS2 apart and find out whats inside. That just doesn't make sense.

DMKA
05-24-2005, 03:40 PM
exdee

Lenna
05-24-2005, 05:12 PM
Taking your ps2 apart that's a pretty big step. Just make sure you don't have warranty on it, because if you do well then you're done for if it doesn't work again dking. And unless you're blatantly rich I'd assume you cant afford a new ps2 straight off ;o

dking
05-26-2005, 01:51 PM
trust me i'm gonna be very careful, although PS2's are only...what $100 now. Anyway I wont hurt it, if I did I could by another one but then that would be money out of the my bands fund so...Yeah i'm gonna be careful I don't feel like buying another one. I just want to know why mine is working at others don't.

Max
05-29-2005, 06:21 PM
PS2's ARE ONLY 100$$$?