PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter or His Dark Materials?

Odaisé Gaelach
05-16-2005, 08:16 PM
Which one do you prefer and why?

Lindy
05-16-2005, 08:26 PM
Neither, they're both overhyped piles of tripe.

Both Rowling and Pullman have awfully simplistic writing styles, and their narratives just don't flow together. Combine that with boring, unlikeable characters and generally stupid plots, they're the kind of books that would turn me off reading ANYTHING.

Both sereii recieve far too much praise for what they are, I mean, there ARE actually other books out there, shock horror, you don't have to read Harry Potter just because everyone else is. The same thing happened with The Da Vinci Code, it's stupid.

Odaisé Gaelach
05-16-2005, 08:42 PM
So what books do you like?

Skogs
05-16-2005, 08:55 PM

Both Rowling and Pullman have awfully simplistic writing styles, and their narratives just don't flow together. Combine that with boring, unlikeable characters and generally stupid plots, they're the kind of books that would turn me off reading ANYTHING.

Both sereii recieve far too much praise for what they are, I mean, there ARE actually other books out there, shock horror, you don't have to read Harry Potter just because everyone else is. The same thing happened with The Da Vinci Code, it's stupid.

That's true. But given the amount of TV and comuter games kids these days play, it's nice that there are books that area easily accessible, and may help kids to branch out to more challenging reading.

I've read the 'His Dark Materials' trilogy, but not any of the Harry Potters. They were pretty good, but probably a bit young for me. At the moment I'm reading Voss by Patrick White, but it's pretty hard going so I put it down to read Hunter S. Thompson's 'Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas'. Next on my reading list are 'Remains of the Day', by Kazuo Ishiguro and 'Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrel' by Susanna Clarke.

Excelsior
05-17-2005, 06:03 AM
hmm, this is a hard choice. i really like both of them. i think it has good writing and intresting characters, and i prefer them over reading something like LOTR. LOTR to me is one of the most boring books ive ever read. its like "and then they passed by a rock. and this rock has a deep and complicated history, which i will now go into in great detail for the next 500 pages. and then thres gonna be like 200 pages worth of drinking songs." i think the story and characters are intresting though, which is why i like the movies. but anyway, id have to say i like harry potter better, because almost nothing has gotten me as anticipated for the following book as that has.

TheAbominatrix
05-17-2005, 06:05 AM
I really dont care how sophisticated books are, so long as I enjoy them. The Chronicles of Narnia are very simple, especially compared to Lord of the Rings, but I love both of them.

As far as this deal, Harry Potter by far. When I finally got over my bias and read the books... I was just amazed. It's just so much fun. I really love the Harry Potter series.

edit - :<3: to Skogs for reading Hunter.

krissy
05-17-2005, 06:13 AM
HDM
potter doesnt hold up a candle, or wand in this case, to lyra
kickin his ass with a bear

Jack
05-17-2005, 10:15 AM
His Dark Materials.

True, Rowlings earlier work is quite good but as the series goes on, it transpires that it's a bit rubbish. The last book (Order Of The Phoenix) was boring, overrated tripe and I loathed it.
As for what Lindz said, the books are aimed for a younger age and if adults enjoy them too, then so be it. I can enjoy books whatever. I'm currently reading Dante's Inferno.

Zante
05-17-2005, 07:13 PM
I found them both OK.

Croyles
05-17-2005, 08:58 PM

Well lookie whos angry here.

lulusgirl
05-18-2005, 02:21 AM

exactly my words.

kikimm
05-18-2005, 02:28 AM
I've never read His Dark Materials, although I finally bought the first book a couple months ago; I'm excited.

I HAVE read Harry Potter though, and what's there, I think, is good. Sometimes it's ncie to get a more simplistic style, after reading something like McKillip, or Martin. They go by so quickly, it's like crack. I like `em.

:D

Azure Chrysanthemum
05-18-2005, 07:47 AM
Having not read His Dark Materials I'll have to go with Harry Potter.

Although really, I want to finish the War of the Spider Queen series before all else.

Polaris
05-18-2005, 09:40 AM
I liked 'the Prisioner of Azkaban'. 'the order of fenix' was too long but th end was very good!