PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to Hong Kong! .....help!

Peegee
05-17-2005, 12:33 AM
I guess I should be excited, but right now I'm just waiting for my passport (mails out on the 26th), then I buy a ticket and find my way to Hong Kong...job for the summer.

Great opportunity, etc etc, we all know PG doesn't worry about such things. I want to know a few things:

- I speak Cantonese, but not well enough to be errr, well, 10 year old level. Well maybe.

- I don't write or read. I'm illiterate.

How doomed am I? Be crushingly honest. I'm told the business sector is fluent in english and respects asians who can speak and write fluently. So I don't think there's a big problem there. It's the wandering around, the buying of food, and most importantly, the clubbing (!!) Is it any good? What is Hong Kong like?

I'm assuming there are members of EoFF who frequent here and are from HK. Wanna meet PG? :D

Chris
05-17-2005, 12:34 AM
Enjoy Hong Kong, it's a lovely city (I've been there quite a few times myself).
Try and find Jackie Chan. :D

...he's the one with the dark hair. :(

withered
05-17-2005, 12:57 AM
I don't write or read. I'm illiterate.In that case that was a surprisingly well written post. Well done. Good luck reading the replies.

DMKA
05-17-2005, 01:18 AM
Awesome...how long are you staying? If it's more than a week I don't think you're doomed at all.

Shlup
05-17-2005, 01:31 AM
They're going to eat you.

Peegee
05-18-2005, 01:54 AM
Yeah but how much actual cantonese is needed to be known? Will I pick up more than usual? Help I want pie!!! :(

Oh and what's teh clubbing scene like there? I KNOW THERE ARE PPL FROM HONG KONG OR AT LEAST PEOPLE WHO HAVE VISITED!11ONE

*hides*

Behold the Void
05-18-2005, 02:22 AM
Isn't Iri in that area? You should hook up with her.

Peegee
05-18-2005, 02:24 AM
Well I'm open to meeting anybody, but 'hook up'? asl?

:p

Behold the Void
05-18-2005, 02:27 AM
Eh somantics. Take it as you will.

Shimka
05-18-2005, 02:30 AM
Hong Kong huh..well, have fun, and don't eat any sea food that looks suspicious...xD..oh and go to that big Toys 'R Us they have there. And lastly, take some awesome pictures to show us ^_^.

escobert
05-18-2005, 03:29 AM
PG have a good plane crash flight!. maybe I'll come see you :p. Oh and you'll be doomed and I'm betting you'll be calling home wanting to come sleep in your own bed in 3 hours :p <3

Agent Proto
05-18-2005, 03:32 AM
I'm sure you'll do fine. English would probably be a common language, but if I were you, you probably need to sharpen up your Cantonese, just in case the people you work with can't speak English very well.

Rainecloud
05-18-2005, 07:18 AM
You're going to catch so many horrible diseases.

Enjoy yourself. :)

Meat Puppet
05-18-2005, 09:15 AM
I went to Hong Kong and couldn't speak any Asian language at all, and then I went on a boat and kicked the asses of 20 henchmen of a Cuban cokelord. Then I busted some fat dragon and high kicked the king of Korea. I did all this from my the womb of my mother.

Resha
05-18-2005, 10:44 AM
Meh, it's HK. You hardly need any Cantonese at all, IMHO. I have friends who have lived there almost all their lives, and they're completely Chinese-illiterate, and deaf and dumb. xD

It's very Western, it is. And the SHOPPING. HECKARZ, YEAH. :love: xD But expensive. But anyways...HAVE A GREAT TIME! ^_^

Lionx
05-18-2005, 11:22 AM
I went to HK a few times, all i got to say is buy all the fake imitation stuff there, enjoy the copied games you can get there, also get good food at Dai Pai Dongs and nightlife go down to mens or womens street for a good time. I ono what else...but i enjoyed it xD

Chris
05-18-2005, 01:24 PM
Hong Kong is great, but you should swing by Manila (I'll show you around). :D

Leeza
05-18-2005, 04:18 PM
You'll have a great time, PG, whether you can speak the language or not. Congratualtions on getting a job over there. What will you be doing if I may ask?

Camanche
05-18-2005, 04:51 PM
I, too, am curious as to what you job is. I'll be going to China next year for an entire year to study the language and culture and would love a first-time visitors account of the country.

Bonne chance, and enjoy yourself!

T-MaN
05-18-2005, 04:56 PM
Watch lots of anime! Don't worry, you will enjoy yourself there. I know I did. There are so many different anime fashions there, it's insane. Yea, so ya, go enjoy yourself there. :)

Peegee
05-18-2005, 07:17 PM
You'll have a great time, PG, whether you can speak the language or not. Congratualtions on getting a job over there. What will you be doing if I may ask?

Salary monkey for an accounting firm. So auditing, network stuff, pgism, the usual :P

escobert
05-18-2005, 09:28 PM
sars and hobbitsex?