PDA

View Full Version : Cosplaying!

fire_of_avalon
05-17-2005, 02:00 AM
So Matt(Not forums Matt my Matt who is also a forums Matt but not really) were having a discussion about cosplaying. Basically I was trying to force him to let me make him a Kefka costume because IT WOULD SOOOO WORK but he is a whinybutt and is like nooo. So he says to me, he says, "If you like him so much, why don't YOU cosplay as him!"

So I said "FINE" and now I have a dilemma. I don't WANT to cosplay as a boy, so I want to give Kefka a female form woo hoo! Trouble is, while I KNOW what I want to wear on the top half (a red/yellow striped longline corset whoopie!) I DON'T know what I should wear on the bottom half.

So, my question to you is twofold. 1) What should I do?! and 2) Do you cosplay? Do you like it, is it fun? Do you ever have problems making your costumes?

Answer!

Denmark
05-17-2005, 02:03 AM
1. wear a dress. or a skirt.

2. no.

Deaths_Hand
05-17-2005, 02:07 AM
1.a short leather skirt covering pink panties
2. no

Meat Puppet
05-17-2005, 02:09 AM
1. leather pants
2. if I get money for it

Shlup
05-17-2005, 02:32 AM
Cosplay makes me cry.

escobert
05-17-2005, 02:35 AM
Shlup makes me cry.
1) naked is the way to be :p
2) no, only in my sleep xP

Behold the Void
05-17-2005, 03:12 AM
1) Kefka qualifies as feminine in and of himself. Just get the tights.

2) Considering doing it, I think Saito Hajime from Rurouni Kenshin might be fun. Or Jin/Citan Uzuki.

Apollo
05-17-2005, 03:13 AM
Cosplay confuses me for some reason.
Probably because I'm weird. :cool:

crono_logical
05-17-2005, 03:28 AM
I'm pretty sure I remember Chaos (from these forums) cosplaying as Kefka a while back :p

escobert
05-17-2005, 03:53 AM
Are you sure you didn't just look in the mirror el Archo? :p

Sephex
05-17-2005, 04:13 AM
1) I would steal Kefka's costume myself.
2) No.

fire_of_avalon
05-17-2005, 05:07 AM
I'll tell all of you what I told someone in chat a million years ago (today). If you think I'm going to spend that much money to cover myself in pasty white theatre make up and wander around a con naked, you're weirder than I am.

And I'm a female cosplaying Kefka.

*runs to PM Chaos*

Strider
05-17-2005, 07:02 AM
I don't cosplay, but since we're on the subject...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v118/striderx284/striderf.jpg

This kid makes me laugh.

WildRaubtier
05-17-2005, 07:08 AM
I still say foa would make a better Barret.

Yamaneko
05-17-2005, 07:19 AM
I think it's sad.

Jojee
05-17-2005, 07:22 AM
You'd make a sexy Kefka, foa >=) I want pix.

I might cosplay if I remotely resembled any FF/anime/whatever characters, but... I really can't think of any. :P

Rinen
05-17-2005, 11:28 AM
Do what you feel that you should do. That's what I always told myself.

I have cosplayed before. When I was small, I cosplayed as Tetsuro from Galaxy Express 999. I just ordered a bunch of stuff, and I might cosplay as someone from Revolutionary Girl Utena. I even have an official Rose Crest Ring. A replica of the series. I was hoping that I could find one of the black rose signet rings like in the Black Rose Saga, but I couldn't. Maybe I'll go as Wakaba's 'Onion Prince'.

A couple years ago, I cosplayed as Gourry Gabriev from The Slayers. Last year I was going to cosplay as Cloud Strife, but I couldn't find a Buster Sword, I didn't have the materials to make my own, I have made swords, but they were poor quality. I thought that when the 'Fantasy Sword' came out, that it would be great, but it turned out to be a small scale of the Buster Sword made out of Alluminum, bad for swords.

I don't consider myself weird for doing it. I find it fun. I can't make clothes, I'm terrible at making clothes, so I usually buy it or ask someone to make whatever for me.

Devourment
05-17-2005, 11:31 AM
I think it's sad.

Jojee
05-20-2005, 09:08 AM
I might cosplay if I remotely resembled any FF/anime/whatever characters, but... I really can't think of any. :P *revives thread*

Yay I take this back ^_^ I found a character that I can somewhat resemble!

http://www.boomspeed.com/strawbee/sayablood.jpg

Saya from Blood: The Last Vampire. :love:

PS, why is cosplaying sad? It's just like dressing up and dressing up is fun! Although I've never done cosplaying before :p

KoShiatar
05-20-2005, 09:25 AM
I'd love to cosplay if I could ever find the chance. It's just some dressing up fun after all, it does not mean to be freaks who wish to live in a videogame/manga/anime by any means.
Some people are just plain pathetic when they cosplay, but that does not depend on cosplaying itself. There are many ways to do it, just as with most things a human being can do.

theundeadhero
05-20-2005, 05:46 PM
Wear whatever makes you laugh. Have a sense of humor about it.

I sometimes cosplay... as a girl. Where did I put those pictures of me in a dress? When I was a kid I would sometimes stuff underwear up a longsleeve shirt and act like Popeye. I even made a Lego pipe!

Ashi
05-20-2005, 10:03 PM
1) Can't really remember what Kefka wears. Pants?
2) No, don't cosplay. But I like the idea of it. Making costumes and stuff. But I doubt I'd ever do it.

fire_of_avalon
05-20-2005, 10:18 PM
I don't really know what he wears either, except that green cape and a feather. In the FMV's, you never see him from the waist down except in his angel form, and then he's wearing like... purple... billowy... robe things...ok he's basically nekkid except he wrapped a blanket around his downstairs or something. Maybe that's what I should do.

I think Dimmkah should cosplay as Sailor Jupiter ^_^

Alixsar
05-20-2005, 10:25 PM
Of course, we've all seen pictures of people cosplaying online. But have you ever seen it in person? I saw five people cosplaying at the More Friends concert on Monday, and it was just sad. You really shouldn't cosplay unless if you want to be laughed at. And you will. By me. If you cosplay, you really should be ashamed.

Nephiliam
05-20-2005, 10:30 PM
Aww damn. =( I was gonna cosplay this year at the AWA, but.. seems like I will be busy with work and all. =/ I'm gonna go as an anime character.

Kikyo would be easy to do, I think. I'll just need to grow my hair out long. =/

I saw a ton of people at the AWA last year, but the craziest were the tetris blocks and the transformers. XD

-N-
05-20-2005, 10:32 PM
I know I'm not dressing as Kefka. Too many robes to take off right before sex. >_<

fire_of_avalon
05-20-2005, 10:35 PM
Of course, we've all seen pictures of people cosplaying online. But have you ever seen it in person? I saw five people cosplaying at the More Friends concert on Monday, and it was just sad. You really shouldn't cosplay unless if you want to be laughed at. And you will. By me. If you cosplay, you really should be ashamed.

Like I care what you think you mean butt http://www.videogamesprites.net/FinalFantasy6/NPCs/Empire/Kefka%20-%20Laugh.gif

TasteyPies
05-21-2005, 12:42 AM
1) Red pants, not baggy but not tight either.

2) No, if I ever sink to going out in public as a charicter from a anime/videogame shoot me. At that point I would have used up my usefullness to the world and would be more of a burden to the further development of seciety. Seriously red pants though.

StarlightAngel
05-21-2005, 12:54 AM
1.) No clue

2.) Yes. I once went as a blackish brownish haired Flonne to Sakura-con. SUE MEH! XD
It was really fun tho. Making it was pretty fun too ^^ I just went to a place where they sold used clothes and bought the stuff there.

ShiggtyLuffLuff
05-21-2005, 01:04 AM
1.) Clothes!!

2.) I've always wanted to cosplay but never got the time or money to do it. If I did I would do something like Vash but that'd be very hard. >_<!

Destai
05-21-2005, 01:07 AM
Of course, we've all seen pictures of people cosplaying online. But have you ever seen it in person? I saw five people cosplaying at the More Friends concert on Monday, and it was just sad. You really shouldn't cosplay unless if you want to be laughed at. And you will. By me. If you cosplay, you really should be ashamed.Going back to my rants in the star wars threads, To be pretty honest, They know theyre going to be laughed at but they do it anyway because they find it fun and you... well your some judgemental wuss who bitches about it. That makes them alot cooler than you if you ask me. Confidence is pretty neat to see in people.

fire_of_avalon
05-21-2005, 02:47 AM
Jeez Louise, I bet you guys were the sorriest bunch of trick or treaters ever.

Shlup
05-21-2005, 02:51 AM
Actually, now that I think of it, it's not the dressing up part that looks silly... It's dressing up and then doing poses like you're the character. Like when some fatty dressed as Sailormoon does the "oshiokyo!" pose. Or that one scary picture of that guy dressed as Sora doing that totally serious pose... freaky.

You can dress like a tard because that's fun, but there's only so much acting like a tard I can handle seeing before I cry.

theundeadhero
05-21-2005, 03:42 PM
I am an awesome trick or treater! I always win best contest awards. The trick is to act on insipration. You can't methodically plan this stuff out.

DMKA
05-21-2005, 04:48 PM
I think Dimmkah should cosplay as Sailor Jupiter ^_^

http://www.cometpluto.com/sailormoon/pictures/images/jupiter/jup03.jpg

Oh...I am SO there.

DoomAntenna
05-21-2005, 05:28 PM
Sorry, but I'm with Matt on the Kefka thing. If you really want to dress up like Kefka, I honestly don't remember what he was wearing...

Also, I've never cosplayed before, but I've been to an anime convention, and a halloween party, and the spirit is much the same. It's fun to wander about and see what people have come up with. Oh yeah, and I was dressed up at the halloween party. I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with cosplaying. If there is, then there is also something inherently wrong with dedicating 40+ hours of your life to a final fantasy video game. And that, I am not willing to accept. :)

KoShiatar
05-21-2005, 08:43 PM
http://www.naimoka.com/image.php3?image=../../arts2/amano/ff6/arts/04.jpg

This is what Kefka wears on his lower part. Good luck!

fire_of_avalon
05-21-2005, 10:24 PM
Sorry, but I'm with Matt on the Kefka thing. If you really want to dress up like Kefka, I honestly don't remember what he was wearing...

YOU ALWAYS TAKE HIS SIDE ;________________;

But yeah, this is going to be for Animazement 2006 and I'm going to be the best cosplayer there and you will be there or die.

And Werecanary, there is no way I can sew anything even relatively Amano-esque. Amano clothing defy's the laws of physics.

Shoeberto
05-22-2005, 12:33 AM
I think it should be done only if you resemble the character down to a T or if it's Halloween.

It's kind of like what Maddox thinks of people who quote Dave Chappelle.

Lindy
05-22-2005, 01:55 AM
Cosplaying is just...just...

I'd comment on it, but I'm always just laughing too much at either pictures or the thought of it.

XxSephirothxX
05-22-2005, 02:40 AM
Cosplay makes me cry.

Cosplay is scary and I think it's kinda sad. :D

fire_of_avalon
05-22-2005, 02:54 AM
I think it should be done only if you resemble the character down to a T or if it's Halloween.

It's kind of like what Maddox thinks of people who quote Dave Chappelle.

Uhh... I have blue eyes and blonde hair, does that count?

ShivaBlizzard8
05-22-2005, 03:51 AM
1) What should I do?!
I'd try http://forums.cosplay.com for advice, since they usually know what they're talking about, and will probabaly have more advice than we would - LOL.

2) Do you cosplay? Do you like it, is it fun? Do you ever have problems making your costumes?

Yes, occasionally, at proper occasions. *hangs head in shame* Being what mainstream people would call a "normal" and even "really cool" individual, I was surprised to find that most cosplayers weren't as wierd as I expected them to be, and thus found it fun. But I wouldn't go running around dressed wierd like, down the street or anything. That's just odd.

Snappie88
05-22-2005, 06:07 AM
For all the people who think it's sad; go away! You're in the wrong thread ;)

And probably, when you go and cosplay, you're not the only one and when someone laughs at you that person will get his but kicked by a lot of anime fans :P

I cosplayed once, and that was with carnival here in the Netherlands in Februari this year. Went as Zell in SeeD uniform (that's VIII, yes), and no-one laughed at me. Probably because 1) everyone was drunk, 2) no-one knew the character and 3) everyone was dressed up (that's what's carnival about here in the Netherlands). So I don't really mind :)

CloudSquallandZidane
05-22-2005, 07:12 AM
1. Orange, yellow, and red. With a clown like collar.

2. I wish i did it looks like lots of fun.

Mercen-X
05-22-2005, 07:48 AM
1. Something that drives men wild. Or in my case, makes me feel slightly under the weather as it is that I get nervous when I'm turned on.

2. No. I'd like to but never have . . . unless you count creating a fictional character based on me that dresses like me. Then yes.
You could dress me up like Kefka if you want. ;) I don't really resemble him but I wouldn't be a big wuss about it.

Behold the Void
05-22-2005, 08:48 AM

Someone's never been to an anime convention I see.

It's fun to do, really, it's like another Halloween, and a lot of people enjoy that. If you're at a place where people cosplay, you won't be laughed at at all. In fact if your costume is good enough you'll get a bunch of people wanting to take your picture. I see no reason to be ashamed of it.

KoShiatar
05-22-2005, 08:41 PM
And Werecanary, there is no way I can sew anything even relatively Amano-esque. Amano clothing defy's the laws of physics.

I utterly agree. But you can take it as a reference for what you should at least resemble. With Amano drawings and 2-d games, there is nothing really fixed. A sprite's dresses may even change from field walk to a battle scene. So you can feel relatively free.

JAS4Yeshua
05-24-2005, 09:10 PM
When I think of cosplay, I think of the stereotypical geeks at a Star Trek convention. Although, I'm sure that stereotype is wrong in some cases. I do remember one guy who I used to see when I drove home from work who was always dressed as a Starfleet Captain. Now, that was very odd, but whatever floated his boat.

I don't see a problem with it, for certain events. Conventions, Halloween, Costume Parties. Although sometimes the costumes just look ridiculous.

Levian
05-24-2005, 10:54 PM
Dress up like this:

http://theshortbus.addr.com/felicia.jpg

Seriously. :greenie:

Jojee
05-24-2005, 10:56 PM
Dress up like this:

Seriously. :greenie: Oh, my god.... xD Please don't.

Edit: Wowww she is so pale...

Chaos
05-24-2005, 10:59 PM
Ahhh the memories.

*dances like Kefka*

Chaos

SNOOZER
05-25-2005, 12:04 AM
I dunno, I think cosplaying looks good if done right.

Yew-Yevon
05-25-2005, 12:07 AM
Dress up like this:

Thanks you'v just scard me for life :mad2:

Jojee
05-25-2005, 12:19 AM
I dunno, I think cosplaying looks good if done right. Hmmmmmm... don't like foa see that :p

The Summoner of Leviathan
05-25-2005, 12:21 AM
Dress up like this:

Thanks you'v just scard me for life :mad2:

SNOOZER
05-25-2005, 12:28 AM
I dunno, I think cosplaying looks good if done right. Hmmmmmm... don't like foa see that :p

I have no idea what foa is...

SNOOZER
05-25-2005, 12:36 AM

fire_of_avalon...GET WITH IT MAN!

Sh*t... does this mean I'm out of the club? Can I still keep the secret club underwear?

rubah
05-25-2005, 12:49 AM

fire_of_avalon...GET WITH IT MAN!

Sh*t... does this mean I'm out of the club? Can I still keep the secret club underwear?

Yes.
No.

fire_of_avalon
05-25-2005, 03:39 AM
Why is he out of the club? He posted Auron cosplay that gets him twelve points.

Are any of you suggesting I couldn't "do it right". >:P!

SNOOZER
05-25-2005, 03:50 AM

12 points, nice. And I get to keep the underwear.

Levian
05-25-2005, 09:45 AM

How many points do I get for the one I posted?

theundeadhero
05-25-2005, 03:29 PM
*Cosplays as SNOOZER wearing secret club underwear*

Jojee
05-25-2005, 05:33 PM
http://www.boomspeed.com/strawbee/helo1.jpg

Right, so we were on the topic of underwear ;)

Lev, you get negative points. xD

fire_of_avalon
05-25-2005, 05:35 PM
Jojo is right, that was not cool ;_;